The RPS Advent Calendar, Dec 16th: Undertale

What’s the funniest game of 2015? The RPS Advent Calendar highlights our favourite games from throughout the year, and behind today’s door is…

Undertale!

is this a reference to the ongoing Gamefaqs voting? MAYBE SO

Adam: I think I use the word ‘delightful’ too much. Trawl through my various writings on RPS and you can probably find a paragraph where I describe a war or the particular way that someone’s limbs fall off as ‘absurdly delightful’. I’m going to use the word here, even if I’ve chipped away at its meaning through repetition, because if ever a thing deserved to wear a little badge informing the world that it is ‘delightful’, Undertale would be that thing.

It’s the funniest game of the year and it’s one of the saddest games of the year. It’s inventive and forward-looking, and yet it never plays on nostalgia for its own sake. Every gesture toward the past is meaningful rather than a mere elbow in the ribs of memory. I don’t want to say too much about the specifics because, as much as anything else, Undertale is a series of setpieces, some comic and some tragic, and everyone should be able to experience them fresh the first time they play. What is remarkable about those setpieces is that with a seemingly limited audiovisual toolset, the game can slide from epic adventure to domestic farce with a few frames of animation.

Thankfully, I don’t need to describe anything that happens because a swift analysis of the battle system sums up everything that I love about the entire game. In this kind of retro-styled RPG, I’d expect combat to occur at random as I wander around the map and, sure enough, that appears to be the case as Undertale begins. The battle music kicks in and the top-down view fades out to be replaced by a battle screen, showing the enemy from a sorta first-person perspective.

At this point, you can choose to fight or to use an item, as you might expect. You can also ‘Act’ or show ‘Mercy’, which is somewhat unexpected. Acting opens up a new sub-menu, with verbs that are specific to the enemy you’re facing. You might be able to flirt or to tease, or to study. Mercy attempts to end combat peacefully. Usually, you’ll need to figure out which actions will lead to a peaceful resolution before selecting mercy.

Choose to fight and a small portion of the screen transforms into an arcade game, in which you must avoid enemy attacks. At first it’s a shoot ’em up style bullet-dodger but just as your choices in the Act menu are context sensitive, based on the character you have encountered, so are enemy attacks. Some are barely a threat at all and some are almost impossible to survive, but they’re all recognisable as extensions of the personality of the opponent.

And that is how the entire game plays out. Those combat menus, which are the repetitive loop of an entire genre, are, in Undertale, simply the window-dressing for a more complex system of interactions and arcade minigames. The entire retro JRPG costume is simply that – a costume.

Beneath the dressing, Undertale is consistently surprising, which is a rarity in any kind of entertainment. Usually, a game shows its hand at some point and lets you know what to expect. Undertale shows a hand immediately – it’s a cutesy nostalgic homage to Earthbound and the like – but then it snatches that hand away and blows a raspberry. The next hand makes shadow puppets on the wall and the next might shake you by your own hand or punch you in the gut.

At times, I thought Undertale was about the difficulty of being the one kind person in a cruel world, and at other times I could have sworn it was about the awkward absurdity of being the one cruel person in a kind world. It’s smart, it’s witty, it’s charming and it’s shot through with nervous energy.

In a word, it’s delightful.

And then, when you reach the end, there’s one final sleight of hand and everything changes again.

Alice: What’s Adam said up there? Don’t tell me, don’t tell me. I haven’t finished Undertale yet, see, because I’ve had a wicked case of the grumps lately and could feel that souring a game I was finding so deeply delightful. I’m saving it.

What I have played is one of this year’s funniest – and warmest – games, which is impressive given how sinister it is.

I still smile thinking about the social puzzles of playing non-violently, the initial encounter of trying to figure out what an enemy wants. Perhaps you’ll notice a frog is doing its best, which surely deserves complimenting. But how do you respond to someone being a loudmouth? And as for boring jerk tagalongs… it’s a rare game that makes generic monsters in random encounters so interesting and funny.

It’s rare for a game to be so funny in a way that’s friendly and supportive too. Hey, be nice to people (and monsters).

I was delighted with the demo, replaying to poke at how it all worked, and what I’ve played of Undertale past that point has me awfully keen to see what’s coming up next. From the not-veiled-nearly-as-well-as-they-think hints and references people drop me, I’ve got a whole load of weird and wonderful to come. And probably a fair bit more of the sinister.

Go here for more of our picks for the best PC games of 2015.

1. unitled says:

Note due to… reasons, GameFAQs users have voted Undertale their BEST. GAME. EVER. (seriously, the poll is actually punctuated like that)

It now stands alongside games like Ocarina of Time and FFVII in that hallowed hall of fame:
    link to kotaku.com

Adam Smith says:

First picture after the jump is acting as my comment on all of that business :)

• unitled says:

I was worried you’d directly talked about in the article… I only read it quickly, I haven’t got round to playing it yet but what I’ve gathered is that it’s one where all discussion beyond the very basic premise should be avoided to keep the joy of discovery!

• Mokinokaro says:

Basically what happened is 4chan, reddit and tumblr Homestuck/Undertale fans banded together and used bots to heavily skew the poll. They’ve even openly admitted to it.

GFAQs doesn’t care. As noted in that article, their polls have been cheated by bots before.

• Skyfall says:

Do you have a citation for the bots accusation? This is the first I’ve heard of such a thing.

• Mokinokaro says:

It was posted on tumblr and God help me I’m never going back there

FhnuZoag says:

I would advise against believing in stuff you see posted on tumblr.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Should probably place the aforementioned reddit and 4chan into that pile while we’re at it.

• wu wei says:

The thread has been deleted but one of the site admins confirmed that there had been an attempt at ballot-stuffing by a bot, but it wasn’t for Undertale.

• PopeRatzo says:

They weren’t bots, they were NPCs.

FhnuZoag says:

Nonsense, the site admins wrote a pretty clear and reasonable article showing this was not the case. They used IP filtering to show that Undertale fans came from all sorts of places, they tried changing the contest html to trap bots, they correlated Undertale’s votes to referrals from social networks. The only cheating they ever caught was some guy trying to set up 600 accounts – to vote against Undertale.

Lots of people like the game. I like the game. Simple as that.

• Mokinokaro says:

Hey, I’m actually a fan.

I just don’t underestimate the rabidness of the Homestuck fanbase. They’re completely crazy.

FhnuZoag says:

Crazy doesn’t permit them to break the laws of computer science. If you can think of a way for them to spoof hundreds of thousands of IP addresses from different ISPs all over the world, and also change how they were submitting votes within milliseconds in response to the contest admins changing the format, well – I think skewing a gamefaqs poll is the last thing I’d use that for. It’s far simpler to look at the masses of popularity the game has on Twitter and Tumblr, and say, “hmm, what if a sizeable proportion of them decided to vote for that game they liked?”

Also, Undertale is quite a lot bigger than Homestuck at this point. Personally I’ve never read Homestuck.

• KRVeale says:

Nice! I’ve had a quick hunt around but can’t find the article – do you happen to have a link anywhere? It’d be useful for some writing I have planned.

• int says:

In case anyone has the stomach for seeing the storm of shit this poll has caused on Gamefaqs’ PC board: link to gamefaqs.com

• Kitsunin says:

For me, personally, Undertale is the Best. Game. Ever. (and yes, typing like that felt gross) but more objectively I will admit it probably isn’t. But however you look at it, it’s so far above the nonsense dominating that poll otherwise that it feels really good to see GameFAQs nostalgia boner defeated.

2. RedViv says:

Only very, very special games make me want to replay them right when they ended, even if I were to intend going down the same route just to see it once more.

– Viv, honorary Goat Mom

• Baf says:

I felt the opposite: there’s no way I’m going to reset that ending. It would be a betrayal. And some of the characters would know. They would KNOW.

• RedViv says:

It’s going to be okay I am just going to do the same things again. No need to have a bad time.

3. Turkey says:

I recognize that it’s a good game, but I found it too nice and inoffensive for me to really connect with it emotionally.

In the end I prefer LISA The Painful RPG over Undertale. It’s a lot clunkier mechanically, but the way it transitions from comedy to gut punch in a few screens is just masterful.

It’s too bad RPS dropped the ball on LISA, cause it totally deserves more recognition.

• Mokinokaro says:

LISA is definitely an…interesting game. It’s a solid gutpunch from beginning to end in a way very few games manage.

Just don’t bother with the expansion/sequel. It’s a giant miss.

• Turkey says:

Ah, that’s too bad about the expansion. I was planning on getting around to it some day.

• Mokinokaro says:

The expansion is basically “edgy teenager” personified. It pushes the grimdark to the point it becomes unintentional self-parody.

• Just Endless says:

Logged in (I never do) just to respond to this:

4-5 years of RPS readership and their coverage of LISA is the only thing they’ve ever done that truly disappointed me. Like, I get it, I understand the frustration, but what a thing they missed.

• wu wei says:

This. I would love for them to clear the record with a “Have You Played…”, it’s an amazing title that didn’t deserve to be dismissed so rapidly.

4. TΛPETRVE says:

I guess I’m one of the few who were left rather cold by this one. It was nice while it lasted, had some great ideas, but then what I call the BioShock Infinite effect set in – upon reflecting, the game felt just hollow and forgettable to me. Too much of it being the bland, cringe-inducingly “whimsical” stuff the internet is made of, like OFF, or that Homestuck webcomic thingie, only less on the emo-edgy side of things.

• AriochRN says:

I tried it for an hour, didn’t even crack the merest hint of a smile, just got frustrated at dying to the combat minigame thing. After the fifth death and the prospect of going back to the previous checkpoint yet again…yeahno, I’m going for a refund, ta very much.
      I’m not missing something FrogFractions style, am I?

FhnuZoag says:

If you really don’t enjoy the core game mechanic, then okay the game isn’t for you. Though note that you can almost always run away from fights, and being well prepared (with healing items, good equipment) softens the difficulty curve quite a lot. If you are willing to do the grinding or exploit certain ‘trade route’ style systems, the game lets you carry a massive amount of healing with you.

FhnuZoag says:

Humour is also obviously a hugely subjective thing.

• AriochRN says:

Yeah, I was quite surprised how much I didn’t enjoy it, normally stuff that RPS recommends tends to be in line with my tastes. Perhaps the bullet-hell mini game (and my complete lack of skill at it) is just leeching all the joy from the experience for me :/

• LionsPhil says:

I ended up watching a couple of LongPlays instead because the game part of the game in the demo alone is just obstructive unfun to me.

It’s got some neat ideas and characters. Not all of them are as novel as the Internet frenzy fanbase seems to have whipped itself up into thinking. All the major endings just kind of fall apart into narm, and by that point I don’t think they’re trying to.

Killer soundtrack, though. It took a while to grow on me, but the crude, inconsistent MIDI-softsynth-crashed-headfirst-into-a-chiptune instrumentation belies some neat compositional work with lots of little recurring motifs. And Bonetrousle will never leave your head. Ever.

• Cantisque says:

Yeah if you have trouble with the “bullet-hell” part, it’s not going to be fun.
            To be fair, the difficulty felt “just right” to me. I watched a friend playing though and they were absolutely terrible at it and stopped playing pretty early on.
            Maybe depending on your gaming history, some people are more tolerant of dying in games than others.

• aoanla says:

Replying here mostly to agree with LionsPhil, as I did basically the same thing (except I stopped watching the LongPlays too, before the end, as I wasn’t particularly engaged).
            For whatever reason, the humour of Undertale (and, really, I think the underlying mindset behind both the humour and the situational design) just doesn’t click with me, but I can see it has some interesting points to make (and I do think the combat design is theoretically really clever, even if in practice I just found it annoying and frustrating).
            But the music is actually really good!

• Merlin the tuna says:

More Spec Ops: The Line than Frog Fractions. It’s an incredibly responsive game (as compared to Spec Ops, which, much as I love it, forces you to do bad things then tells you to feel bad about them) and benefits a lot as a result, but if you aren’t enjoying the gameplay or the world, it’s probably best to set it aside.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Spec Ops is meant to be in contrast to the Call of Duties and Battlefields out there which have you do horrific things and then tells you how much of a hero you are.

• caff says:

I felt like this too. You’re not alone. I never really liked JRPGs and I felt like I was missing all the jokes.

• Baf says:

Similarity to Homestuck is far from coincidental, BTW. Toby Fox is a member of the Homestuck Music Team, and a couple of the wandering monsters in Undertale are Homestuck references.

Also, it strikes me that there’s a technique they have in common, of introducing things in a silly, campy, self-mocking way, and only then, after it’s been firmly established how stupid they are, showing you their hearts and making you care about them.

• Flit says:

Hey cool, thanks for helping me make that connection. I had completely forgotten about the Undertale prototype I played a few years ago that was posted on the mspa forums. I was an honorary member of the music team – I only ever made one song which was never used anyway. I drifted away from Homestuck when it went on for too long and got waaay caught up in itself (and the fanbase got weird, sorry fanbase). I preferred Andrew’s older more whimsical projects.

Anyway I’m glad dude’s game has been so successful. I should probably play it…

• Unclepauly says:

I feel like you never made it past the 2nd combat section. Am I right?

• AriochRN says:

A pair of dogs who didn’t like my smell? I rolled around and got them to re-sniff, but…the bullet-hell had other ideas :(

5. zxcasdqwecat says:

6. Phinor says:

99.9% of the human population enjoys or adores this game but for whatever reason, and I’m about 2 hours into the game, it does exactly nothing for me. I’ve put those few hours into it because everyone keeps saying how good it is. I don’t enjoy any single aspect of the game so far. Not story, characters, music, visuals, dialogue, gameplay, nothing. Well it loads quickly so that’s something. Some parts of it like the music I’d call okay, while other parts like gameplay and humour is just a complete miss for me.

I’m not sure if I should struggle through the game so that I can at least form a proper opinion but I’m leaning towards no because it has been a miserable experience so far. I guess I should go back to watching Transformers or whatever the equivalent to that is in gaming.

• Rhodokasaurus says:

I’m gonna say it. Undertale is for people who crave affection from fictional characters. It is for people who speak primarily in memes. It is for people who form an identity based on what quirky hipster games they champion on the internet at the moment. It is a shit game for simple people, and “gamers” may be some of the most simple people in the world.

• Unclepauly says:

You’re a ray of sunshine today eh? Someone plop a log in your cheerios?

• Unclepauly says:

btw, which ending did you get? Your answer will validate everything you just said.

• mumur says:

This post might sound awfully grumpy, but it still rings true. Particularly the meme-speak part.

• LightSpirits says:

Do you think that ranting about something that brought people harmless fun is profound?

• zxcasdqwecat says:

rofl

• invitro says:

EGG-zackly.

• ShatteredAwe says:

10/10 So brave, hating on a popular game that’s experimental and clearly isn’t for you.
        But you’ll probably celebrate if CoD gets nominated, right?

• HERP DERP NANOMACHINES says:

“Undertale is for people who crave affection from fictional characters.” That’s a fine hypothesis, I’d like to see your research design for this scientific study.

“It is for people who speak primarily in memes.” Do you even know what a meme is? Literally all adaptive information is memes, try doing some research before spouting your terrible opinions, Dawkins!

“It is for people who form an identity based on what quirky hipster games they champion on the internet at the moment.” ADOLESCENTS FORM AN IDENTITY BASED ON THEIR INTERESTS HAHAHA STUPID TEENS AND THEIR FADS.

“It is a shit game for simple people” Voldemort is that you? Why do you refuse to understand the simple beauty of love and the greatest virtue, non-violence?

““gamers” may be some of the most simple people in the world.” Finally something we can agree on! Gamers really are garbage, it’s so depressing how these privileged manbabies have wasted their wealth and support on worse than worthless toys.

• Unclepauly says:

Just a tip: You don’t have to fight anyone if you don’t want to (kind of like going ghost in a stealth game). You could slaughter them all if you so choose but you never have to.

• LionsPhil says:

You totally do, though. Even the pacifist route will involve playing the “combat” minigame; you just don’t use attacks. In fact, it’s the harder route, since you often have to run down the clock where a murderous player could have just used their upgraded abilities to slaughter enemies in the first few hits. (The actual hard stuff is for genocidal maniacs.)

I like that for various narrative reasons, but it’s silly to pretend that “you don’t have to kill anyone” means “you don’t have to play the ‘fight’ part of the game”.

7. Person of Interest says:

I didn’t fully warm to the game, either. There are wild swings in mood between whimsical and sinister, in pace between plodding and hectic, and in combat between gentle and unforgiving. It made the game feel disorienting and uneven. If I fully believed that the author designed the game to have that effect, I think I could appreciate it more, but sometimes I wonder if it was really intentional.

The game got a few grins out of me, but I much prefer the humor of Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, which had me laughing uncontrollably.

8. Viral Frog says:

I feel bad for immediately dismissing Undertale. I only enjoy a very limited number of JRPGs because the turn-based battle system is a grindy slog. I had no idea that Undertale’s battle system wasn’t actually set up in the same JRPG-style-slog. I’ve been urged by countless people to try this game, and always responded with, “eventually…” while never actually planning to do so. I’ll have to change that.

• zxcasdqwecat says:

You can have some rpg turn based combat crap in the game but only if you want to, otherwise the best way is doing none of that.

• cpt_freakout says:

It’s kind of like a parody of the JRPG combat slog (at least the ones I’m familiar with, like Final Fantasy), but even if you go the peaceful route you have to play a bullet hell minigame every time. Fortunately the monsters often have two or three types of attacks, so at least it’s usually a varied minigame.

• zxcasdqwecat says:

I meant caring about the stats ’cause dodging attacks is tense and not really about fighting stuff. But yeah you have to go through the minigame all the time.

9. Mario Figueiredo says:

I don’t understand. Funniest game of 2015 is still The Secret of Monkey Island.

Guybrush: At least I’ve learnt something from all of this.
    Elaine: What’s that?
    Guybrush: Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game.
    Elaine: A what?
    Guybrush: I don’t know. I have no idea why I said that.

10. ritsl says:

I love Undertale. This game made me cry like very few games have ever done. Play it for the story. Yes there is bullet hell style combat but if a cripple like me can beat the game then you can too!

Unfortunately some of the game’s most vocal fans can come across as very annoying. It is still a very good game though.

11. Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

Oh, right. Funniest game of 2015, aka the year Tales from the Borderlands came out.

I blame the category system. I mean there’s no “Cutest game of the Year” or “Most fiendishly clever blend of mechanics and storytelling of the year”, so “Funniest” had to do.

• LionsPhil says:

Yeah, even for those who like it, I’m not sure this is really a comedy game, beyond a certain background level of whimsy. Most of the fan (i.e. people for whom it clicked) appreciation of the writing I’ve seen is for its dramatic qualities, not comedic.

• Cantisque says:

I wouldn’t say the game is “funniest” of the year. I was smiling through the majority of my playthrough and a couple of scenes did get a laugh, but I don’t think the main appeal of the game comes from its comedy.

• Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

Yea, it’s almost selling the game a bit short? Considering its very real innovations in other areas. Now, Borderlands was created with the sole purpose of evoking some chuckles, but eh, I guess, maybe RPS didn’t find it as hysterical as I did.

12. cpt_freakout says:

This game is great, it’s funny and emotional in a very childish way, and I don’t mean that pejoratively at all. It’s content to be silly and often surprisingly profound, in ways that much more wordy and ambitious games struggle so much to achieve (someone above mentioned Bioshock Infinite…). For me, it’s a gem, and it was a pleasure to play twice. That’s coming from someone who rarely ever plays something for a second time, or even JRPGs, hell, I never played Earthbound so I couldn’t even catch any references to it if there were any.

13. guygodbois00 says:

Funny? Well, yes, but not ha-ha funny.

• zxcasdqwecat says:

You are all so focused on the “funny” and “tragic” words probably expecting some edgy commentary on cinematic action while all you have to do is looking at what’s in front of you and deal with the monsters. The fun part. Most of them might be anime archetypes, I wouldn’t know, but it helps testing the Act options and if bosses don’t give you hints chances are is an unspoken “emotional” solution flying above most players’ heads even if the text almost spells it out.

• aoanla says:

No, I think all of us for whom Undertale didn’t click know that the “funny” aspect is supposed to be in the characterisation and interaction with the various monsters. However, as someone else wisely noted up thread, humour is very subjective, and we just didn’t find it as engaging as you did.

• zxcasdqwecat says:

I dind’t read much about the fights so I doubt it, still I played it because I found it more torelable than a lot of rpgs. It has never been about how anime it is to me as much as avoiding dilemmas over stats and stuff. Maybe the game could’ve spared players from more challenges while they were busy doing things but that goes for the first part of the game I think. The one where puzzles don’t really matter to begin with.

• aoanla says:

So, I don’t think you’re actually responding to what I wrote, but actually some version of an argument in your head.
            There’s two things which people who don’t love Undertale say: One of them is “I don’t like the bullet hell bits” (which is a matter of taste), and one of them is “I don’t get on with the humour/writing/etc” (which is also a matter of taste). Neither of these are anything to do with “how anime it is”, which seems to be your initial suggestion. (You then career into an apparently unrelated comment which seems to be about how potentially annoying the random encounters are in the first part of the game, which, while true, doesn’t directly relate to the two core issues people tend to have either – the more vexatious bullet hell bits are in the mandatory combat encounters, not the random ones.)

• zxcasdqwecat says:

I can be hard to follow as I like address things with little, I don’t think people really think of those core arguments as actual arguments since it’s “a matter of taste”.
            The encounters thing is pretty much the only major flaw I could think of.

• aoanla says:

So: the quality of any entertainment is not purely objective, you know.

The people saying “I didn’t really get this” are not expressing an objective judgement of the quality of Undertale (because there’s no such thing as a purely objective judgement of something like this). What we’re doing is reacting to the general trend of critical lauding of Undertale, which has tended toward the “everyone should love this game” by gently noting that this is something of an overstatement, and giving our reasons for why we differ.
            I don’t think anyone here has said that Undertale is actually a bad game, just that there’s a variation in taste, and this is a game where various things have to be to your taste for it to work.

• zxcasdqwecat says:

Sssuuuuuuure:D I know this place holds subjectivity dear etc, still all I read is nitpicking on the beginning of the game. I haven’t touched the deal about anyone tastes either but feel free to keep bringing subjectivity up?
          Btw the game isn’t, like, consumed from gags and stuff in order to “work” on people. You can phone and meet npc’s to summon awkwardness and absurdities but otherwise, at the lowest level, you are this dude dealing with monsters and puzzles and that’s it. It’s just going to feel a bit ambiguous

• aoanla says:

I think you’re fixating too much on the “humour” element. As I noted in previous replies, it’s the “writing style” in general, which certainly underpins the humour (but is not limited to it), which is a matter of taste. I’m not sure why you think that “ambiguity” is part of the problem here at all.

14. Rinox says:

I’m gonna echo what some people already wrote: Undertale didn’t click for me.

Sure, I had some fun with it (primarily thanks to Sans and Papyrus), it has a unique style and the combat system was clever, but I found some aspects of it either needlessly obscure or just plain too off-the-wall to enjoy anymore. I started out by saving enemies, but as I progressed the actions I was supposed to undertake to get a ‘mercy’ ending started to become more and more unclear. I mean, one character requires you to do the same action 20 times to be able to save her, apparently. I just didn’t know if what I was doing was actually working towards a mercy ending of a fight or if I was pointlessly prolonging a battle by pressing the wrong button. So I started to kill most of the opponents where I just couldn’t see what to do.

While I did enjoy the craziness to some extent, at times if just got so insane that it started to affect the game’s coherence…I felt like I was in a madman’s fever dream. In terms of style and atmosphere that’s ok, but not when the ‘rules’ of the world are being changed all the time.

I’ve read up on the game’s metanarrative after I beat it (neutral run btw) and it does sound impressive. I can see what the creator was trying to do, and it’s pretty cool. But it’s a bit strange that you would have to play a game several times to see its greater value. I would imagine most people would just stop after a first not-so-fun runthrough. But apparently not, since I am party of the minority here. :-)

To summarize: cool ideas, nice style, interesting combat system. But did I enjoy playing it? Not really.

I must be dead inside or something

15. JuergenDurden says:

I too did not get what the hype was about with this one.
    I tried it for about 2 hours and almost felt kinda sickened by all the whimsical meme-y-ness and hipsterdom being forced down my throat. the audiovisual presentation on the other hand just felt bland and full of forced nostalgia while suffering from weird collision/ pathscripting/ control issues.
    lastly the mechanics were communicated super poorly, i killed that poor goat lady just so i could move on, instantly regretted it, looked up what i was supposed to do and just groaned.
    then i met the mega-whimsical typography puns with their forced humor and superfluous puzzles and just quit and walked away. no regrets.

16. April March says:

This is a game that truly deserves Horace’s face.