Metal Beard?! Hideo Kojima Opens New Studio

Hideo Kojima, a legend in the eyes of those who live on the virtual battlefield, has indeed parted ways with Konami and founded his own new PMC (private makegames company). The Metal Gear maestro has even managed to sneak his old studio name out of Konami. All year we’ve heard about a falling-out of some sort between the designer and the publishers, so it was pretty clear he was going, and Konami even blocked him from accepting an award this month for MGS V.

Well, as of today, he’s out, he’s gone, and he’s at a new Kojima Productions. Also, he’s grown a cracking new beard for that ‘grizzled veteran’ look.

Oh, but don’t go bouncing up and down in your seat just yet. With the doors only just open, Kojima announced that their first game “is a collaboration with PlayStation”. An eternal optimist might say that they’re just ruling out Xbox and whatever it is they’re making could come to PC but oh, I don’t know if I have that much hope in me. It’s been a good eleven months since I was last visited by ghosts of the past, present, and future to teach me the error of my ways, see.

Update: It’s a Christmas miracle! Their game, whatever it is, will indeed come to PC after PS4. I am ALIVE. I am ALIVE and I BELIEVE.

Quite what happened between Kojima and Konami, we’ll probably never officially hear from either.

Still, do check out Kojima’s statement on the studio’s site for word on the studio, new playful species of human, and fabulously Kojima declarations like:

“Even if the earth were stripped of life and reduced to a barren wasteland, our imagination and desire to create would survive – beyond survival, it would provide hope that flowers may one day bloom again. Through the invention of play, our new evolution awaits.”

And here’s that PlayStation vid, if you’ve missed his face (rockin’ that renegade beard!):

1. Bull0 says:

I love the idea that human imagination and desire to create will somehow survive a global extinction event. That almost crosses into self-parody.

Heartwarming video though, and I’m definitely a fan – and think it’s a shame what happened to MGSV with the cut content, etc. Whatever happens next, it’s clear budget won’t be an issue.

2. scornfulmoose says:

Fantastic news. Great to hear he’s gotten away from Kojima, and is now free to pursue new creative projects. And this also reveals the lie behind Kojima’s whole “He’s on vacation” bull.

3. Heliocentric says:

Timed exclusives I can stomach, I grabbed a Wii and PS3 eventually to plumb their prestige games but honestly, proprietary boxes a thing I need less of in my life.

4. celticdr says:

Let’s hope that the next game he releases actually contains a finished story :P

5. Heliocentric says:

The stereo mix on that video was very 1970s *shudders*

6. rebb says:

That’s not even his final form !

7. MattMk1 says:

Ok, so between that thing on his face and MGSV, it’s now clear he’s got no business making games OR trying to grow a beard. ;)

• laiwm says:

Did you warp in from Opposite Dimension to leave this comment

• MattMk1 says:

Duh, no. If I were from Opposite Dimension, I’d look upon his attempt to grow mildly sinister-looking facial hair with amused condescension, rather than outright scorn.

• Sulpher says:

Post less.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

I would say that if that is the best you can offer, you may want to consider the same. Or, you know, add something of greater value the next time. :oP

• prof_yaffle says:

Smile more
            Don’t let them know what you’re against or what you’re for.

No, I haven’t been listening to the Hamilton soundtrack too much. Why would you say that?

• laiwm says:

Not really sure why you say “sinister-looking”, but I guess we just have different opinions on what makes good facial hair. I think he looks quite dashing :)

• CptPlanet says:

Sorry to hear about your crippling, terminal lack of taste

8. Synesthesia says:

Yes!!! Finally! I cannot wait to see what comes out of it.

9. Banks says:

Oh he has a beard, he’s mature now.

10. Jediben says:

“What took you so long?”

11. ukpanik says:

Hideo Konami & Junji Ito VR horror incoming.

• ukpanik says:

*Kojima

• Scumbag says:

The concept of a game with Junji Ito doing visual direction is the thing of dreams / nightmares. Either an Ito game or Beksinski inspired one at least.

12. Oakreef says:

If we’re lucky Sony will have him as gameplay director and forcibly keep him away from the writing desk.

• guygodbois00 says:

+1.

• Sin Vega says:

The greatest sadness would be if they don’t heavily edit him, aye. I fear the progress he made in MGS5 will be forgotten.

• MarcoSnow says:

I never understood critics’ claims about the improved editing in MGSV. If anything, the game ran off at the mouth when it shouldn’t have (e.g. anything pertaining to the parasites) and silenced its main character when other characters’ dialogue all but required it (i.e. Big Boss failing to answer direct questions, then acting as though he’d held up his end of the conversation). Many critics praised this for being subtle, but silence doesn’t unequivocally make something more profound, especially if it doesn’t make any sense within the context of a scene.

The fact that most of the dialogue in the game was included in the form of audio tapes (at the expense of the cutscenes) felt like it was throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Audio tapes are fine for dry factual entries or short “gag” or entries, but key elements of the plot were relegated to optional tapes many players will overlook entirely. It’s no wonder that Mother Base felt so sterile and lifeless when so few of the conversations that allegedly took place there between key players in the narrative were presented to the player in cutscenes.

I’m not saying we need a return to the absurd length of MGS4’s cutscenes, but there’s clearly a happy medium here. MGS3 trimmed the fat (e.g. boss introductions weren’t overly verbose) but still made use of cutscenes when necessary, providing narrative context and solid characterization at key moments in the game.

• Vickers says:

I chock most of that up to MGS5 being rushed (by Konami). Thought it might have helped if Big Boss wasnt voiced by a hollywood celebrity.

• Sin Vega says:

Oh, the editing and writing was still atrocious in MGS5, but aside from the ridiculous crap at the start, it mostly kept out of the way. You could play the game for several hours without any bullshit forcing itself upon you, which was completely unheard of in the earlier games. It was a huge step forward in that regard, starting to separate Kojima’s actual talent (game systems & little details) from his useless narrative garbage.

13. Monggerel says:

YOU KNEW?!

14. Scumbag says:

He looks very tired (not a joke about asian people).

15. Voqar says:

I keep trying to figure out why this guy is in the news so much. He did one franchise (that only appeals to some players) that’s mostly limited to one flavor of console (that the rest of the universe doesn’t care about and especially that we PC Master Race don’t care at all about).

• laiwm says:

His decades of developing innovative, systems-driven games + releasing one of the best PC titles of the year + being the centre of a major showdown with a large publisher, most likely. (Also, all the poop emojis for “PC master race”)

• Niko says:

I have a trash can filled of poop emojis to add your pile of poop emojis. No PC master race silliness, please.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

It’s just a self-deprecating joke. How do people not get this?

• GWOP says:

You might think so, but do children like Voqaa?

• Niko says:

It was a joke until people started creating groups with the same name and using Nazi symbols. Now it’s about as funny as three rows of poop emoji.

• Sin Vega says:

“getting it” and “thinking it’s not tedious and sad and embarassing” aren’t quite the same thing.

• Distec says:

I’m not sure a joke loses its appeal just because somebody further down the line injected the swastika into it.

• Themadcow says:

It’s a fair shout. He certainly gets press coverage far in excess of his achievements. Thing is, aside from Miyamoto there aren’t that many ‘rockstar’ designers out there in the gaming universe. Sid Meier, maybe Carmack? The difference with Kojima is that he tends to have more of a ‘rockstar’ attitude and ego than the others.

• LionsPhil says:

Warren Spector, Will Wright?

• Distec says:

Maybe, but it seems their stars have faded. The heyday of LGS/Ion Storm doesn’t mean much when your last notable output was Epic Mickey. And Spore seemed to taint Wright a bit. I’ve got nothing but respect for them, but that’s how the conversations seem to go.

I would have included Carmack, but his career as of late feels like a different trajectory, even if it’s still ostensibly “about games”.

The last “rockstar” I can think of is probably Ken Levine before everybody decided they hated him…?

• manny says:

Carmack is game tech rockstar not a game design rockstar, which is much more important. In anycase considering video games are much more complex artform than film or music. It does make sense that there is hardly any super artists of the medium. Just consider religion/philosophy as the most complex artform, internationally renowned masters of it arise only every couple of hundred years.

• roothorick says:

John Romero, once upon a time.

Tim Schafer. Chris Avellone.

They’re nowhere near as pervasive as in the movie/TV and music industry, and they’re generally more humble than their counterparts, but they’re definitely out there.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Zip-up, your ignorance is showing.

16. Kamestos says:

He played us like a damn fiddle !

17. Turkey says:

Cool. So does this mean he’s Sony’s new David Cage? Like he’ll get unlimited resources to make a showcase for the PS4, and there’s no financial repercussions?

18. nld says:

Can’t believe you missed a “tactical beard” joke here.

19. TheAngriestHobo says:

I don’t have strong feelings about Hideo Kojima, as the only game of his that I’ve played has been MGSV. However, based on that experience, I have to say that I feel that his ability as a writer has been overhyped. The plot has felt like a string of visually amazing cutscenes with a half-hearted story cobbled together after the fact to link one to the other. Based on the excitement prior to release, I was expecting Kurosowa levels of storytelling ability, but MGSV’s story is almost incoherent.

• welverin says:

I’m a fan, I’ll be getting whatever he does next, but brilliant, flawless writing isn’t the reason why.

“but MGSV’s story is almost incoherent.”

Pretty much sums up the story of the MGS games. MGS2 was a mess. People like the story of MGS1, so he went heavy in 2 and just Peter Jacksoned it.

20. Dale Winton says:

He’s so dreamy

21. lowprices says:

Looking at that picture of Kojima, two thoughts came to mind:

1) He looks an awful lot like a younger Hayao Miyazaki.

2) Would.

22. Von Uber says:

Looking forward to his next game featuring a half naked girl who breathes through her breasts, can only feel emotion if her breasts are squeezed and also will only acknowledge your presence if you are looking at her breasts.

23. SMGreer says:

After all those months of “hush, hush” and now he finally emerges with a beard? Can nobody see the obvious?!

Hideo Kojima has been replaced by his evil twin!

24. NephilimNexus says:

Remember when Sid Meier left Microprose to create Firaxis? Same thing here, and the result will be the same too. Five years from now if Konami is even still in business they’ll just be known as “those guys who make the pachinko machines.”

I look forward to seeing what the now unshackled Hideo does next.

• Josh W says:

Probably depends how much money he gets I imagine, perhaps he has a rights share on phantom pain?

25. Vickers says:

Good for him. I can’t wait to see what he’ll produce unfettered by the shackles of Konami and their pachinko mentality.

26. manny says:

If you look into his eyes you can see “Eff the Unity game engine, where rolling our own game engine!”

27. gbrading says:

I didn’t use to “get” Kojima or Metal Gear at all, but the website Giant Bomb has been doing playthroughs of all the Solid games and on following the story from the beginning, I’ve grown to understand why people adore them; they revel in the absurd and the serious cheek by jowl. There are problems for definite (lousy gameplay for the first ones, sexist overtones), but generally the overall experience seems more than worth it.

I enjoyed Ground Zeroes and I still need to play MGSV. I’m glad that Kojima has gotten away from Konami and should hopefully be able to start fresh with something new.

28. Deadly Sinner says:

That’s just factually wrong. In addition to MGS, he did the Zone of the Enders games, Snatcher, Policenauts, and Boktai, all of which are loved to varying degrees.

West and Zampella were known pretty much just for Call of Duty, but that didn’t stop their drama filled exit from being big news.

Your post boils down to whining about someone being popular.