Fail Forward: Call of Duty: Black Ops 3

Fail Forward is series of videos all about the bits of games which don’t quite work and why. In this episode, Marsh Davies discusses how Black Ops’ segue into sci-fi marks new mechanical innovation in the military shooter – and suggests how it could go even further.

Remember to subscribe to the RPS YouTube channel for more of whatever it is we do.

This is the start of a second series of Fail Forward. The first five episodes ran earlier this year and were released fortnightly, whereas from now on they will be monthly and are funded by the RPS Supporter program. These videos are only possible thanks to your funding, so thanks for that. This episode is viewable to all.

1. Fnord73 says:

Very good.

Grizzly says:

I would propose an alternate theory to why the cyber soldier you meet has COD memories, one which the video itself offers: CoDs are used as recruitment tools in the CoD universe as well.

3. GernauMorat says:

Excellent stuff as always.

4. Joshua says:

I love Dishonored, but I don’t want Call of Duty to become more like it and more than I want CoD to do an open world. Especially if it means they’d also shoehorn in more forces stealth. I really enjoy the straightforward nature of the combat.

• int says:

I think he just wanted more freedom in combining abilities as is possible in Dishonored, not anything open world.

• Joshua says:

I had a typo in there, but that’s meant to say “any more than I want CoD to do an open world” i.e. I’m as interested in a CoD with Dishonored style combat as I am in a CoD that’s open world.

5. GWOP says:

As someone whose country had to fight off a ’70s Pakistan trying to establish a military dictatorship and carrying out civilian massacres with Nixon’s resources, the historical revisionism to keep Westerners as ‘the good guys’ piss me off to no end.

6. JeCa says:

That last paragraph is not perfectly clear:

The first five episodes ran earlier this year and were released fortnightly, whereas from now on they will be monthly and are funded by the RPS Supporter program. These videos are only possible thanks to your funding, so thanks for that. This episode is viewable to all.”

The last sentence makes it sound like this video is special in that it’s viewable to all, and that future videos in the series only will be available to supporters? Or are they just highlighting how the supporter program is what makes this kind of well scripted and edited content possible to sustain in the first place? Thinking about it, how would a supporter-only YouTube video even work?

IJC says:

I suppose the videos will be uploaded as “not listed” and only supportes get the links, in form of small articles like this one.

7. drewski says:

Really good stuff. Almost enough to make me want to try BLOPS3.

Almost.

8. Malibu Stacey says:

Marsh I think you touched upon the reason why modern games like CoD aren’t built with the fluidity of Quake/Unreal Tournament in mind. They’re primarily aimed at consoles and consoles are limited by the strictures of the modern game controller.
    Also they want to sell gazillions of copies to all the kids who primarily want to play against their friends. If those kids have to spend time learning how to be not terrible at the game rather than simply loading it up & clicking on the brown people, they’re not going to buy it.