Konami Hiring For “New Metal Gear” Without Kojima

The great Konami/Kojima cabinet reshuffle continues – first Koj shacks up with Sony, and now Konami are running job listings for a new Metal Gear game that’ll they make without the involvement of the notorious/revered auteur.

No details of course, but the listings very clearly say “new METAL GEAR”. It’s uncommonly open of a big publisher to say what a project it is before the marketing strategy kicks in, so it’s hard not to interpret this as at least partially trying to steal some of the thunder from Kojima’s new Sony-funded studio.

Though Konami have recently turned towards the mobile market, the talk in the listing about “high-end game development” would seem to imply that they’re going big’n’glossy with this one. MGSV has been a critical and commercial hit, so I think they’d be mad not to follow it up even though they seem worried about costs and even though Kojima has left in still-mysterious circumstances.

I know it’s never nice to part someone from their creation, but I’m very interested to see a Metal Gear led by someone new, and by a team who might even clear away a few decades’ worth of bewildering plot detritus. MGSV was best-in-class stealth this year, but let’s not pretend that was down to just one man – hopefully some of the people who made its world, its weapons and its animal abductions feel so good are still on board.

1. wu wei says:

METAL GEAR PACHINKO

2. Jokerme says:

I’ll take a wild guess and say it’ll be something terrible. Prove me wrong if you can Konami. Also f. you.

• Sleepy Will says:

I think wu wei has got it correct above, I’m pretty certain that if it’s not, it will be a mobile whale hunting abomination.

• Maxheadroom says:

its win/win for Konami either way.
      If it sucks and sells terribly they can be all “See! we knew console was dead!” and fully throw in with mobile/pachinko games

If it actually turns out to be any good and/or makes a fortune they’ll be “See! We don’t need Kojima”

also fuckonami (hashtag omitted on purpose. I’m too old to use hashtags and still don’t fully understand how they work)

• Sleepy Will says:

You pretty much got the hang of a hashtag, putting the # in front of it just tells search algorithms that the intention of the following word is identifying a specific topic of your post, in this case the desire to tell Konami what a bunch of us think about them

• Maxheadroom says:

Sweet. now tell me about Twitter :)

• Sleepy Will says:

Hehe, you’re on you’re own there :) IU have no idea what that’s all about!

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

I bet it’s entirely out of spite. They didn’t even allow Kojima to pick up his award from the annual Mountain Dew & Dorritos Game Show, just days before his employment contract expired.
        They’ve been acting unbelievably childish and unprofessionally personal for an impersonal, massive, publicly traded company.

3. demicanadian says:

When it comes to Metal Gear Solid (and only Solid), then David Hayter > Hideo Kojima. There’s only one way Konami can win this war.

4. Eight Rooks says:

I’m not claiming it’s a certainty, but… “high-end game development” could still mean mobile. Plenty of developers babble on about AAA graphics on your phone, console-like experiences and so on, even the F2P giants like Glu, Gameloft and Gamevil. I like mobile gaming, I’ll even play F2P titles and enjoy them, but they’re definitely all about the meaningless buzzwords and general puffery.

5. Evil Pancakes says:

I’m pretty sure that what made Metal Gear good to begin with was Kojima. Does anyone even remember any Metal Gear game without Kojima’s involvement that was worth playing? Pretty sure all of them were pretty forgettable, which this will also be.

IJC says:

Revengeance was great and I think Kojima was only involved on paper. I might be wrong though.

• Philomelle says:

Kojima is close friends with Atsushi Inaba, who served as the executive producer on most of Platinum’s games and is considered to be the company’s real backbone. I’d say his involvement was genuinely more personal than professional in that case.

IJC says:

Interesting, thanks. In this case we can at least expect the same level of Kojima-influence in a possible sequel, since it’s not depending on where he works.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Revengeance was barely a Metal Gear game. Take a look at the prototype for the canned version. It was being made without Kojima and as such the team had trouble finding a direction for the game to go before Konami hired Platinum to finish the game. That looks like a Metal Gear.

• Philomelle says:

Konami had nothing to do with hiring Platinum though. Kojima went on record that he personally gave the project to Platinum after Inaba, one of Platinum’s big-wigs, asked him about it over drinks after work.

Even the line about Platinum finishing the project is wrong. Revengeance was built completely from scratch both in terms of story and gameplay after the original Rising project met a dead end. About the only those two projects share are the protagonist and the slice-and-dice mechanic.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Right, and that is my point. It is more of a Platinum game in Metal Gear clothing than it is a Metal Gear game.

I like Platinum games but I worry they are becoming a one trick pony and are just going to keep redressing the same game over and over again. Especially now that they are working with Activision. The recently announced Ninja Turtles game only helps solidify this theory for me.

• Philomelle says:

Your point seems rather pointless, seeing as most Platinum games are made by different directors and play almost nothing alike unless you think that being in the same genre automatically makes them the same game. You could claim that id Software have been redressing the same game their whole career with the same effect. ‘_’

Is your logic of Revengeance being only Metal Gear in name also based on it not being a stealth game? Because the whole thing was soaked in Metal Gear spirit to me, starting with the presentation and ending with the long political discussions you could have with your teammates over codec.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

No my point is that it doesn’t feel like a Metal Gear game. I don’t really know how to explain it. There are just certain subtleties that the main Metal Gear games have had that make them all feel like they are concurrent entries in a series. I am talking about gameplay and aesthetic more than in terms of story. When I watch the prototype video for Metal Gear Rising where Raiden runs around chopping up bad guys and watermelons I see an extension of the gameplay given to us at the end of MGS2 when you are given the sword. When I look at Revengeance I see an extension of the gameplay given to us by games like Devil May Cry and Bayonetta. I am in no way saying it is a bad game. I really like Revengeance, the minor stealth elements are quite cool and add a little mixup to the stylish action game formula.

My comment about Platinum being a one trick pony may have been a little harsh but I really don’t suspect the Ninja Turtles game will be much different than Transformers: Devastation.

• Fomorian1988 says:

There wasn’t a single Metal Gear game where Kojima wasn’t even a producer, even those mobile titles few people remember and Revengeance. This will be the first game with that title without even his nominal involvement.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Kojima wasn’t involved with the NES version of Metal Gear it’s pretty different from the original on MSX2.
        The NES-only sequel Snake’s Revenge was done entirely without him.
        Both are crap compared to the MSX games.

• ironman Tetsuo says:

I don’t know how much Kojima was involved but I did enjoy Portable ops and AC!D on the PSP. Revengence was cool but then again it was by Platinum and they can do no wrong in my eyes.

• chope says:

see silent hill franchise

• Archipelagos says:

Kojima was only involved with Silent Hills. The reason Silent Hill fell apart was because Team Silent was disbanded by Konami.

• chope says:

I’m saying mgs is likely to get outsourced and mobiled like SH did after team silent was dissolved.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Metal Gear: Ghost Babel is one of, if not the, greatest Game Boy Colour game ever made.

6. Troubletcat says:

Even if by some wildly improbably twist of chance it ends up being good, without Kojima it’s not Metal Gear, even if they choose to call it that.

7. EvaUnit02 says:

If there’s another AAA, core gamer audience Metal Gear that’s actually good, then I’ll buy and play it. Zero ducks given over who’s name is listed in the credits. I generally buy and play games because of the games themselves, not because of who worked on them.

8. LionsPhil says:

Incoming franchise reboot.

9. Suits says:

FucKonami

DelrueOfDetroit says:

My pitch for the next Metal Gear:

Metal Gear Philanthropy. Have it set in the time period between MGS and MGS2. Using the same concepts as MGSV you take control of Solid Snake with the help of Otacon and embark on several missions in different areas around the globe hunting down Metal Gears. Each map containing a base like a mini Shadow Moses/Outer Heaven/Zanzibarland ect.

• grundus says:

My pitch, which I tweeted a summary of to Hideo Kojima and he retweeted which I took to be a “Yes, thank you very much for the idea that I definitely hadn’t already thought of”, is a WWII sneak-em-up where you play as a pregnant (which would totally suit Kojima’s penchant for taboos – make it an instant game over if you get shot in the womb because time paradox!) The Boss doing all sorts of sneaking at, to and around Nazis who – gasp – turn out to be a) secretly working against the Philosophers and b) in possession of all sorts of high technology.

I just have this really perfect image of what it would look like and I’m sad it’ll never be made unless Kojima makes a similar game about a woman called Joy Boss but never actually officially ties it in to the Metal Gear arc or something.

11. Creeping Death says:

It’s a little sad to see you guys jump on this “news” without doing much research into it yourselfs. The posting is over 6 months old. From around March if I remember correctly.

” it’s hard not to interpret this as at least partially trying to steal some of the thunder from Kojima’s new Sony-funded studio.”

Or websites trying to stir up drama for clicks. Whatever.

12. Jane Doe says:

After the broken ending of MGS5, its the perfect time for a reboot.

13. ThomasHL says:

My prediction is that MGS6 will be mechanically near identical to MGSV (except more traditionally open world) with a ton of asset reuse and a middle of the road mass-produced blockbuster plot.

They already have an advantage in that Mgsv was stripped of its narrative and a lot of the traditional franchise creativity. So our expectations are suitably adjusted for a cash grab

14. Synesthesia says:

Ha! That’s funny. If there’s one thing to boycott, it’s this. It’s petty, tacky, and pretty much on par to everything they’ve done so far. Fuck them, this should be boycotted to high heaven. The further they dive into the pachinko business, and out of the gaming industry, the better for all involved.

15. NephilimNexus says:

Continuing from what I said before, when Sid Meier left Microprose to form Firaxis, old Microprose decided that they didn’t really need him and decided to make Master of Orion 3 anyway.

Anyone here ever play that? No? Consider yourself lucky. It was a complete & utter disaster, a mess from start to finish. It failed so badly that it took all of Microprose down with it. That was the end of the company.

Let’s grab popcorn as history repeats itself.

16. MikoSquiz says:

It’s going to be the next Assassin’s Creed, isn’t it? Another identikit sequel cranked out every year. Just with a pachinko sideline instead of mobile games.

17. Spacewalk says:

Worst case scenario: Snake’s Revenge 2.

18. Helmic says:

I honestly hope no one responsible for what made MGS still works at Konami. There was that whole story about how Konami’s been awful to far more people than just Kojima and it seems Kojima Productions is poaching talent from Konami. I hope he gets them all and I wish nothing but failure for Konami until they stop being awful to both employees and customers.

Plus given how they’ve been monetizing TPP post-launch, there’s not much to hope for. We all know it’s going to be lousy with microtransactions and DLC, Konami has shown repeatedly that they have no respect for the medium as a whole. Their announcement right now is just abusing that old vaporware tactic, it’s just being spiteful. So I think we’re justified in being spiteful right back.