Rainbow 6 Siege’s HD Texture Pack & Friend Weekends

Hey, do you have a friend playing Rainbow Six Siege [official site] and fancy a go yourself? Bug them for an invite, as Ubisoft are running an invitation-only trial weekend that’ll let folks play the whole dang game for free.

Hey, are you already playing Siege and do you have a beefy PC? You might want to download the “Ultra-HD” texture pack Ubi have released, adding high-res textures for sharper-looking murdertimes. Oh, and invite your pals to play too, sheesh – I’d thought that was implied.

So, the free weekend. People who own Siege can head over here to get four keys that’ll give four pals full access to Siege until 5:01am on Monday. Should a pal redeem your key, you’ll receive a 24-hour Renown Boost a bit after the event ends, and they’ll get a 25% discount on Siege if they want to buy it.

As for the texture pack, they say it “will upgrade some of the most common textures in the game, such as characters, and weapons, to a new level of visual fidelity.” It’ll look prettier. You’ll want at least a 4GB video card to use that, though. It’s a separate download you will need to install manually on Steam or however Uplay works.

Oh, and the first title update launched this week, so check the notes if you’re Sieging and interested in things like auto-kicking teamkillers.

1. El_MUERkO says:

I got this for free with a new graphics card. I enjoy it but, and it’s a pretty important but, for an online competitive game the servers are only 30 tick and it shows; again and again what I saw in-game and what the death-cam shows afterwards are starkly different. It’s really not acceptable.

• Cross says:

Wrong. Servers are 64 tick. What we all suffered was due to a bug that has now been fixed, and Ubi has pledged to continually experiment with new tweaks to the servers to make the experience smoother. Confirmation bias plus misinformation helps noone.

• wengart says:

I’ve been playing a lot and have noticed considerable improvement since the patch on the 16th. You might wanna have another go at it.

2. spaced says:

“or however Uplay works”

Ah, this old chestnut. Seriously, RPS, I know we’re all grumpy old adults with kids now, but Uplay does absolutely nothing to get in the way of my playing/enjoying the games which are tied to it. It doesn’t do anything Steam doesn’t also do when it comes to daily use. I mean, it’s been a thing for years now, and I think they’ve made it tolerable enough to use. The snide little “I’m such a gamer but I don’t even know how Uplay/Origin work” comments are really beneath a site like this.

Most games are on steam. Some aren’t. Big deal.

• Tiax says:

I would have said the same things a few days ago, before I got Siege. I then had to start using Uplay and by jove is it badly designed and buggy.

I never *ever* had to cancel a multiplayer game because steamworks wouldn’t let us play as a five-people team without crashing during the loading screen. Uplay did that to us yesterday. Also some invites are simply not received and/or don’t work at all for the receiver.

• Alice O'Connor says:

That’s not “ugh death to Uplay” whining – I genuinely don’t know how I’d download that on Uplay. I think I might not have loaded Uplay since Far Cry 3, but I’ve pretty consistently on RPS called out people droning on about Origin and Uplay.

• Unclepauly says:

She already confirmed it, but all I got out of that statement was that she doesn’t really use Uplay and doesn’t know how to use that function because of it.

• Nereus says:

This site is also above anecdotes that say somebody’s experience is objectively wrong. If you find uPlay works for you, great, but there’s plenty of people who find it doesn’t work as well as it should and plenty of people who have abandoned it because it never worked as well as it should. Frankly, the system is unnecessary to begin with so I tend to find in favour of people who have issues with it than people who don’t.

• iainl says:

I suppose it might just be bad luck in some way, but I’ve not once had Uplay successfully install a patch in the background. Whenever there has been an update, I’ve had to set it going manually, and at near-dialup speeds, despite having a 70Mb/s pipe here.