SC2: Legacy Of The Void Adds New Co-Op Commander

Blizzard plan to sell extra characters for the co-op missions in StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void, different commanders with their own abilities and unit lineup, but they’ve started with a freebie to whet your appetite. (Note: don’t confuse your idioms and whet your whistle, or you’ll have an awful time at your next rave.) A patch this week added the engineer Karax, who’s big on mechanical units and orbital bombardment.

Karax fields high-tech units like the Carrier, Colossus, Immortal, and Mirage, Blizzard explain. They go well with his abilities, like passive regeneration for mechanical units and faster production. Oh, yes, and he can blast all sorts of beams and lasers down from orbit to scorch the battlefield.

I don’t know if you’ve heard – you probably haven’t – but I’ve heard that the only way to be sure is to take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, or so I’ve heard, but you’ve probably not heard, because people so rarely say that. I think I’ve reached the point where I’ll start pouring drinks over people who quote that bloody Aliens line all the time.

“In the future, additional commanders will be offered for purchase,” Blizzard say, “but as the first commander being added to Co-op Missions, we’re giving Karax away absolutely free to all Legacy of the Void players.” No word yet on who, what, or when.

Karax arrived in patch 3.1.0, and you’ll find the full notes for that this-a-way.

1. cdkutusu says:

Looks like Blizzard wants to ruin our childhood memories for good. Selling characters in SC 2 co-op mode, I am sure somewhere, someone thought this is a good idea.

• CmdrCrunchy says:

Except this is a free update…

• Gurnu says:

“In the future, additional commanders will be offered for purchase,”. Straight from the article.

• Creeping Death says:

Yes, how dare they charge for content in a game mode that YOU DONT EVEN NEED BASE STARCRAFT II TO PLAY!

Deplorable!

• holymadman says:

As long as they keep adding new maps and other stuff for free they can charge what ever they want for commanders, since i personally dont play them all and not all of them have units that i like to use, so ill buy ones i want and skip the rest.

• Arkayjiya says:

They’ve delivered a complete stand alone game(campaign + multiplayer changes) with completely new features (tournament, arcades) and modes (archon, co-op), and all that for 40$. Now they’re developing more content for a mode (co-op) that will already take month to completely master in the current state, and they’re making you pay for thing they’re working on now. I have no problem with that. Sure I would have been happy if it was completely free (like D3 patches that are full of content) but I am definitely not shocked by the business model.

2. Utsunomiya says:

I really liked the changes to the co-op mode AI in this patch, specifically on Brutal. The bastard actually does fun micro tricks now, and that makes the whole ordeal quite a bit harder. Which is great, since the vanilla brutal AI was kinda bleh, especially when you level your commander up a bit.

Paying for new commanders feels a bit weird, I really think that they should pour significant resources into making more fun/diverse/interesting maps if they want to grab more cash from me. We’ll see how it goes.

Overall, I enjoyed this update. Only a month after release, too!

3. rexx.sabotage says:

Just gonna leave this here.

4. MaXimillion says:

Since it wasn’t mentioned in the article, it should probably be pointed out that the co-op mode itself is entirely free to play, you don’t need to purchase any version of SC2 for it. Same also applies to all the mods for SC2.

• MaXimillion says:

And by entirely free I mean that all the maps are free, but 3 of the 6 heroes are restricted to those who own LotV.

When are we getting the option to edit posts again?