Dark Souls III System Requirements Confirmed

You’ve seen the latest in-game footage of Dark Souls III [official site], right? Or maybe you’re saving yourself until its release? I won’t ruin anything, then, except tell you what I’m sure you’d already guessed: it looks stunning. In an attempt to find out how to run Dark Souls III in the mostĀ stellar of settings, I tracked down Gwynevere, the Princess of Sunlight from the original Dark Souls. Given she deals with sunlight, I naturally assumed she’d be an expert on what I’d need to optomise Dark Souls III’s visuals when it arrives in April. It turned out I was right.

“Come hither child,” Gwynevere told me when we met in my local ancient mythical temple. “O chosen Undead, I am Gwynevere, daughter of Lord Gwyn and Queen of Sunlight. Thou hath journey’d far and overcome much since we last met in the original Dark Souls. Much has changed since the day Father’s form did obscureth, and I have pondered if better system requirements would aid your Dark Souls return. I bequeath Dark Souls III’s minimum requirements to thee:

“Only by the power of the Windows 7 SP1 64bit, Windows 8.1 64bit and Windows 10 64bit operating systems may you conquer demons and rest at bonfires. You’ll need at least an AMD A8 3870 3,6 Ghz or an Intel Core i3 2100 3.1Ghz processor; or an AMD FX 8150 3.6 GHz or Intel Core i7 2600 3.4 GHz if you can muster enough souls.”

She continued: “To merely see the sun, you’re after a Nvidia GeForce GTX 465 or ATI Radeon HD 6870 at a minimum; but you want a Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 or ATI Radeon HD 7850 if you wish to truly praise it. No matter what, in order to inheriteth the Fire of our world – or, you know, play Dark Souls III – you’ll need at least 8GB of RAM, version 11 of DirectX, 50GB available storage, and a DirectX 11 sound card.

“Only be following these specifications will thou endeth this eternal twilight and avert further Undead sacrifices.”

Nice one, Gwynny! And with that, here’s Dark Souls III’s specifications minus all and any archaic parlance (as verified by the game’s Steam page):

Minimum

Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 750, ATI Radeon HD 7850
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 50 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 11 sound device

Dark Souls III is slated for release April 12th.

1. scannerbarkly says:

Makes a pleasant change from games implying a super computer is required due to all the graphical amazingness contained therein.

Oh roll on April, I am truly looking forward to this.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Well, most of the good bits come from the great art style and expert use of light, but a trained eye can see that the technical side underneath is still rather simple.

Still, at the end of the day what matters is if it looks good or not, and i guess it does.

• socrate says:

the game isn’t the greatest looking game ever either its a small improvement on Dark soul 2…basically its bloodborn quality and while the game didn’t look like crap it wasn’t revolutionary in terms of graphic quality..

that said its way of using art to make it look better and hide the ugly is always more effective then game that goes full on graphic quality and end up having tons of FPS issue…and im not a big graphic whore anyway so..don’t really care all that much about that…just hope they do better then DS2 in terms of enemy and find a way to prevent hacker to ruin the game for other legit player.

2. crowleyhammer says:

It will be good.

I will be shit at it.

again.

Andy_Panthro says:

Alas, I’ll be getting this for PS4 I think. My laptop might manage it… but it’s struggling a little with Fallout 4 at the moment so it might be pushing it.

The added benefit for me in being on PS4 is having a friend who can help me out with all the bosses (a recurring problem I have with DS1, which I haven’t completed).

• hungrycookpot says:

For some reason Dark Souls just feels more like a console game to me. There’s little difference if I’m playing it on PC with a controller, and arguably my PC could probably run it better/prettier, but i’ll be on the console wagon too.

4. Cronstintein says:

Recommended -GTX 750? That’s not asking a lot.

5. Jokerme says:

This is sign of an optimized game. Only a well optimized game can run on a console level PC if it’s a console port.

I’m officially more excited now.

6. LazyAssMF says:

But… but.. but… this is for 30fps lock it’s gonna have. Or did they change that sometimes later? O_o

• Assirra says:

Dark Souls 2 was a pretty decent port with either a 60fps or no fps lock, cannot remember so no worries about that.

I am personally going to wait for this one tough. They might have the glorious idea to sell a patch again like with Dark Souls 2 even if you had all the DLC.

• EhexT says:

Yeah Dark Souls 2 ran at 60. And had a 60 frame related extremely gameplay-impacting bug it took them until the Re-master to fix.

I wouldn’t hold out too much hope for Dark Souls 3 working properly on PC – though it probably will run fine (at whatever minimum viable graphics PC will be saddled with due to the console development).

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

I like to think they finally got a clue by now, maybe we can dream a little more safely in the knowledge that the playground is leveled a bit better this time.

• Assirra says:

Do you mean the double durability loss? I was under the impression that never got fixed since even the new console versions got it.

• fish99 says:

I’ll be very disappointed if it’s locked to 30fps, although I’m sure modders would fix that. Hopefully it’s not an issue since DS2 was 60 fps and a decent port.

• LazyAssMF says:

Dev’s said it’s gonna be locked to 30fps for consoles and PC so these low GPU sys.req. are not so weird at all.
        I’m still gonna definitely buy it as i loooove DS series but it would be nice if they unlocked and optimized it for proper 60fps. I’m too used to 60 so having a 30fps lock really bothers me. :/

• fish99 says:

Do you have link to that? I did search but didn’t find anything PC specific about an fps lock. If it’s true, I’ll wait for someone to mod it before buying.

Phasma Felis says:

You have to pity all those poor console peasants who don’t know that they’re not having fun properly.

• gunny1993 says:

Only those outside of the cave know what those inside are missing.

Phasma Felis says:

I know! Only out here, in the sunlight of the PC, is it possible to see that the fun they’re having inside the cave isn’t real fun.

If only there was some way we could show them. Share our wisdom, help them to see that fun without effort is tainted; real fun has a cost, and that cost can only be paid on NewEgg with any major credit card.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Not sure which way to read your sarcasm, but not forcing weird shenanigans on the PC userbase, who arguably seeks a different experience, seems the best solution to me.

7. Jetsetlemming says:

I’ve been out of hardware news for way too long, how does a GTX 465 stack up to a GTX 550? I didn’t even know they had models with non-zero single digits.
    While it’s nice if they truly don’t need a super computer, I also am glad that “stating minimum requirements capable technically of loading the .exe but not actually playing the game” isn’t common anymore.

• Sakkura says:

Those -5 cards were never that common, but they still pop up from time to time. Mostly in OEM-only cards or in laptops.

The GTX 465 is significantly more powerful than the GTX 550 Ti. 352 shaders vs. 192, though the difference in texture units and ROPs as well as memory interface is smaller.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

I don’t know, i still don’t trust the real world usability of minimum requirements honestly.

8. tehfish says:

Nice to see that games are finally making the jump to proper 64bit OS support :)

9. Gregoire Simpson says:

What does it say about the recommended amount of controllers needed for a full playthrough?

10. Smedium says:

I just want to let you know that your information is unfortunately wrong here. On , and possibly other places, they confirmed that those system requirements were posted accidentally and are not final.

11. MadMinstrel says:

Yup. I meet the recommended requirements. Good. Oh wait, I don’t really like games in the ‘difficult RPG’ genre. Drats.

12. DanMan says:

Hmmm, I was actually holding out on buying a DS game until they finally deliver something that also looks stunning. Guess that day’ll never come. A GTX 750? Pffft.

[/graphics snob]

• DanMan says:

Hnnnngg!!

I guess I should have read the comments first. Glad to hear they’re not final. By April the game would have probably looked very mediocre.

13. NephilimNexus says:

You forgot to include under “Recommended” the following:

Obsessive Personality
    Masochistic Tendencies
    Ready Supply of Amphetamines

14. Scumbag says:

After receiving this information from the Princess of Sunlight, I knelt and, with my orange soapstone, wrote the following:

“Amazing chest ahead”

15. nottorp says:

Hmm this is one of the series i wouldn’t think of getting on a PC. Best experienced on the platform they were designed for IMO.