Action Space Shooter Everspace Still Looks Shiny

Remember when there were essentially zero space games? How times change. Everspace [official site] is attempting to carve out its space-niche in the increasingly crowded space-market by focusing on singleplayer, roguelike-style mechanics, “non-linear storytelling,” and space combat that intends to be more arcade and action-focused than strictly simulating physics. There’s a new trailer below showing some of the crowdfunded game’s recent development progress.

The video is billed as the “first playable gameplay trailer,” whatever that means, and the Kickstarter update runs through the recent additions it shows:

Check out gorgeous looking Saturn-style asteroid rims, a new boost effect on the player ship and other improved VFX, the all-new modular space stations, some fuel mining, gigantic graveyards of capital shipwrecks, the pesky outlaw chief attacking you with his scatter gun as well as the mysterious black hole trap.

On this evidence, I feel like we’ve conquered space, at least from a rendering-it-with-3D-graphics point of view. There’s nary a space game in production that isn’t littered with halo-lit planets, lonely-looking space stations, and dopple-surfaced asteroids.

I’m less convinced generally by space combat. In most of the space games I play, I find the dogfights tedious, as they become above endlessly chasing the tail of the ship in front, firing machineguns till their shields deplete and they explode. There’s no cover in space; being flanked is frustrating when you’re heavy to turn; and the speed of movement tends to prohibit tactics or teamwork. Elite: Dangerous found a reasonable solution in its system of power management, forcing you to shunt energy pips between shields, weapons and engines as necessary to best opponents, but more aracde-y games like Everspace… I don’t know. Do you know? Maybe this is not a problem and these games are simply not for me.

But they are pretty.

Everspace was funded on Kickstarter back in August, netting €420,252 against a target of €225,000. If the above trailer has whet your spacewhistle, you can still buy your way in to various alpha and beta tiers via the Everspace shop.

1. karnak says:

Watching this really brings me some memories.

2. Sardonic says:

Oh man, this looks like the freelancer sequel I’ve always wanted, these graphics look great. Hope it nails the landing.

3. 0positivo says:

Yay more space games!

clem2k3 says:

Kind of reminds me of Sinistar Unleashed. I really enjoyed that game …

• DD says:

Oh wow I completely forgot about this game. Thanks for the nostalgia trip.

• geldonyetich says:

Sinistar Unleashed is a surprisingly good game to play with 3D shutter glasses, at least the last time I tried. The Z-buffer depth and whatnot works perfectly.

5. Orillion says:

The trailer has a Windows 10 logo, but the website itself says you only need DX10.

I mean, they’d have to be stupid to lock it into Windows 10, right?

• mukuste says:

Since Microsoft now violently forces the Windows 10 upgrade down every Windows user’s throat without even asking politely before anymore, that’s probably just a way of saying “it comes out on Windows”.

• saberopus says:

On the YouTube comments for this video, the dev. responds “confirmed!” when asked “Windows 7?”

• Rockfishgames says:

The trailer was designed to fit the needs of the Xbox YT channel. We will support Win7-10, Mac and Linux through Steam and GOG DRM-free as promised.

6. Kollega says:

In case the devs show up in the comments, as was the case with the Kickstarter announcement, I have a question: what kind of mood and atmosphere is the game aiming for?

• Rockfishgames says:

Our art style is vibrant and colorful to make Space look “pretty” instead of photorealistic which would be dark, bleak and empty in most places. We haven’t decided about the mood of the story yet but we have a pretty serious plot that will feature rather sarcastic than funny lines but we might scratch your itch for humor here and there even if that is hard to expect from a German developer ;-)

7. karthink says:

“I find the dogfights tedious, as they become above endlessly chasing the tail of the ship in front, firing machineguns till their shields deplete and they explode.”

Pretty much my opinion on dogfighting sims. The core mechanic just isn’t fun, and dressing it up with light and particle effects won’t help. I say this as someone who’s played Freespace 1/2 to completion.

• SamLR says:

I’d love to see a space game that doesn’t treat the physics as ‘flying a plane with gravity off’. You should be able to use thrusters in all directions to pull of all sorts of fun stuff (hide behind an asteroid then pop & shoot before spinning 90º and flying off).

Also 3D squad systems, I want a fleet game where I can create a net of fighters that encircle the enemy…

• ironman Tetsuo says:

Except your target is moving at many thousands of kilometres per second relative to yourself, they wiz by in an instant and you never see them again…
        I think the idea of full-on Newtonian physics dog fights seems appealing until that is you try to rendezvous and dock with another object in Kerbal Space program.

• Orillion says:

Evochron Mercenary turned me off of games that even slightly try for Newtonian physics forever.

• SamLR says:

Agreed that you can’t implement full newtonian/realistic space (no one wants to sit for ever trying to accelerate to a speed where it still takes 8 min to get to the sun).

Would just be nice if there was more access to full 3D. I quiet like Elite’s system where you can disable flight assist but it would be really nice if they gave you full access to all thrusters and such.

• STARFIGHTER says:

“That being said I also would really love to have a 4x game which uses an approximation to speed-of-light limited physics for exploration. So you send stuff off with orders. You get pings back with status reports but if you want to change orders it’ll take X ‘years’ which would make space battles…interesting.

I realise this would probably be an unplayable mess but I really like the idea of sending out probes to make bases and some just disappearing.. did it get hit by something, was it attacked? do you send another to check…”

You pretty much just described 17th century naval warfare.

• SamLR says:

Definitely, but in space

Also as far as I’m aware there’s no game that implements this sort of navel warfare either (which would be equally good).

8. fco says:

is this the one with all the dev diaries?

9. Pulstar says: