Hungry Hungry Hunters: God Eater Coming To PC

Seeing news that God Eater 2 Rage Burst [official site] is coming to PC made me think “Amazing! Excellent! Yep yes, I will definitely write about that. What’s God Eater 2 Rage Burst?” A Japanese action-RPG about monster hunters who fight weird life-assimilating mutants or something, is the slightly disappointing answer. Bandai Namco first released it in Japan a while back, and today announced they’re now bringing westward – and to PC too. They are being a lot better with PC nowadays, that lot. They’re also bringing the first game over, in its fancied-up God Eater Resurrection form.

Who want when where and why God Eater? Bandai Namco explain:

“Set in the early 2050s, unknown life forms called Oracle Cells have begun their uncontrolled consumption of all life on Earth. The ravenous appetite of the Oracle Cells, coupled with their remarkable adaptability quickly turns these cells into Earth shattering monsters known as Aragami. Gigantic in size and completely immune to conventional weapons, Aragami wreak havoc upon the Earth with impunity. Humanity’s last hope for survival now rests in the hands of individual elite Aragami hunters known as “God Eaters”. These fearless God Eaters take-on Aragami in spectacular battles using recently developed weapons known as God Arcs.”

Sure, maybe I did want to devour the flesh of gods to gain their powers and wear their hides as armour, but I suppose I could be persuaded to settle for “spectacular battles” and big guns and blades.

Both games are due in summer 2016. For now, a trailer with mostly cinematics and dramatic slogans but a few wee glimpses of big weapons and mechanomonsters:

Or here’s a vid showing actual monstermurders:

Seems a bit Monster Hunter-ish, yeah?

1. Solidstate89 says:

I’m sure it’ll stick very closely to its scheduled release date(s). Just like the show.

• Blad the impaler says:

Someday there will be a 10th. Someday.

• Philomelle says:

Does the show ever improve at all?

I dropped it after three episodes because the story changes never grew on me and sometimes felt really incoherent (Why is the headquarters above ground? Wouldn’t a huge building covered in blingy lights attract the attention of every Aragami within the range of two hundred miles?) and Lenka felt like a tiresome nuisance even by “generic anime protagonist” standards. Everyone else I know dropped it four episodes in entirely because of Lenka’s existence.

• Solidstate89 says:

I don’t even watch the show. The delays have just become so embarrassing and well known that even I’ve even heard of them.

2. GWOP says:

Wait… at around 1:41 of the second video, did her lance grow a mouth to chomp on the enemy?

• Philomelle says:

God Eater would be a pretty awkward name if you didn’t spend the whole game chewing on things, wouldn’t it?

• Behrditz says:

Yes. The name of the game is literal. All the weapons are actually alive, and feast on the corpses of your enemies to gain powers/replenish ammo.

• KDR_11k says:

Not just corpses, you gotta chomp the big monsters while they’re alive to get your buffs.

3. crowleyhammer says:

Is there even a sniff of the mega ten series coming to PC? any of them will do.

• Kitsunin says:

Well, this is because of Namco’s recent PC-friendliness with Tales of, I’m sure.

SMT is Atlus, and aside from publishing a few third-party cross-platform titles, they haven’t touched PC for even an instant.

But holy eff would Persona 5 on PC be exciting, even if it were still way down the line.

• malkav11 says:

Sure. Shin Megami Tensei Online is on PC. Albeit the English version closed down over a year ago. Also it was/is an Asian free to play MMO, which in my experience usually doesn’t bode well.

4. 0positivo says:

I’m not really impressed by that second gameplay video. The animation look fairly stiff and sometimes just are flat-out missing (the little hops the character does at the beginning of the fight?), and gameplay with that spear seems to consist of “stab, dodge, rinse and repeat”

• KDR_11k says:

It’s a Monster Hunter clone, the tough part is going to be figuring out how and when to dodge and when to stab because attacks are slow and once started can’t be interrupted without getting hit.

• Toka says:

God Eater has more fast pace than Monster Hunter with dash and jumping, also this footage didn’t really show how swift the gameplay is (because He/She’s just spamming those skill without even blocking with the shield nor switching with the gun mode).

5. Philomelle says:

Really excited about this one, given that I started a new save file in the original two days ago. Among all the monster hunter games, God Eater is the one that stuck with me the most because of its faster pace, tighter combat and a completely bonkers but surprisingly well-written story.

A PC release was admittedly the last thing I expected from this one. Namco Bandai are surprisingly committed to the new direction of putting their games on Steam.

6. Matthew says:

What is this Monster Hunter of which you speak?

• GWOP says:

It’s like Pokemon, but honest.

• 0positivo says:

Monster Hunter is a serie of games, which recently have been nintendo console exclusives, centered around the idea that you’re fighting these big, fearsome creatures, in a 3rd person action system, with a variety of weapon types and hundreds of individual weapons that are all crafted from the parts of slain beasties. Every fight is the equivalent of a big boss fight from a game like Dark Souls, where every monster has a lot of attacks and movement patterns they will employ to try and get rid of you, and that you’re kind of expected to learn to be able to take action and exploit their weakpoints

Basically, it’s a game where you go from fighting velociraptors with a kitchen knife and a cutting board all the way up to chasing a literal God of the Sea and impaling it with a fortress-mounted mechanical spike.

If you’re interested, I highly recommend PPSSPP as an emulator, and to start with Monster Hunter Portable Third with the english translation patch. It’s by far the prettiest looking one, since all the others you can play with an emulator on PC are based off of mobile consoles

• Axess Denyd says:

I was really hoping for Monster Hunter International, but now I’m extra-disappointed.

• wu wei says:

Just in case this is a dig at RPS for mentioning a non-PC title, the online version is available for Windows. Hopefully it will eventually see an international release.

• ExitDose says:

Monster Hunter Online is reported to be pretty terrible. I wouldn’t recommend anyone check it out to get a sense of what the series is really about. If you’re dying to get an early look at this style game, your best bet is with a cheap 2DS and MH4U. Either that or snag Toukiden: Kiwami off of Steam if the issues ever get fixed – I haven’t kept up, maybe a patch or fan-fix has emerged since I last looked.

• KDR_11k says:

Toukiden doesn’t reflect the difficulty of Monster Hunter though. Toukiden feels more like you’re executing the helpless monster while Monster Hunter feels more like you’re 10 levels too low for the task at hand even when you’re geared to the maximum.

• ExitDose says:

I agree that Toukiden is distinct from Monster Hunter, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but if you want something in that lineage/style, then it’s your best bet on PC at the moment.

7. lagiacrux says:

hmmm … a monster hunter-ish game for pc … im intrigued. will give it a shot, when the port is acceptable.

8. Eight Rooks says:

If you’re serious, Alice, yes, God Eater is blatantly Bamco’s “So the kids are into carving up giant monsters these days, huh? …it sold how much?” franchise. As far as ports go, didn’t see this one coming! And Namco’s performance on PC so far would suggest it’s got to be better than bloody Toukiden: Kiwami, at least.

9. Bobtree says:

I liked the original GEB on PSP. It’s a MH clone, but faster, sci-fi, and with some twists like programmable bullet designs.

We’re well overdue for a decent Monster Hunter style game on PC. Dragon’s Dogma has some MH flavor too, but no multiplayer, and Lost Planet 2 was great fun. I wish Capcom would just get it’s act together.

10. Malagate says:

Hmm, trailer intrigued me, actual gameplay video…ehhhh?

Hmmmm. Ehhh, ehhhhh? Meh.

It’s just, I see games like Monster hunter and whatnot and it doesn’t feel like actual hunting. I would love a game where it was hunting something fantastical, where the monster was a lot like an actual animal and you could defeat it with a (relatively humane) precise strike rather than wailing on it with a giant hammer for 5 minutes.

This looks more like “Boss rush: the game”, which is a fine concept, I think I prefer those without gear speccing and number grinding (see: Shadow of the Colossus for something I like). I might watch an LP of this, maybe, but first impression is doubtful.

• Eight Rooks says:

If the thought of grind puts you off, Monster Hunter is… probably not for you (and possibly God Eater, though I haven’t played enough to say). I like what I have played fine (several hours of various different MonHuns on the actual hardware, through emulation or the excellent iOS port before Capcom abandoned it), and there is a great deal about it which is like a simplified version of actual hunting (know your prey, know the terrain, prepare bait, traps, pick your weapon etc., etc.) but it is very much about getting a routine down and then doing that routine a million times over, there’s no denying that.

• Philomelle says:

God Eater is way less grindy than Monster Hunter. It still requires preparation in a sense that you’ll want to tailor your gear according to what you’re about to fight, but the small size of the maps (you can clear all the gathering spots on an average map in 2 minutes once you know their locations) and way more spectacle brawler-esque combat mean an average mission ends in about 3-7 minutes, as opposed to Monster Hunter’s 20-40.

That said, it’s still grindy. It never reaches the mind-numbing grind of Lord of Arcana where you can spend a week trying to get the materials for just one weapon, and it never requires replacing half your consumable inventory between hunts the way Monster Hunter does, but you still can expect to spend 6-10 hours per chapter if you want to maintain your gear at its maximum potential.

• Kitsunin says:

There is a relatively large emphasis on preparation, in the sense that you need to bring a collection of traps, tracking tools, foods, herbs, whetstones, and if you’re using a ranged weapon, ammunition. Then you use the parts you’ve collected from slain monsters or gathered from the land to make your new gear, weapons, and armor.

That’s all pretty rare in games, so it does give a fair sense of hunting the monster, but ultimately you are right, Monster Hunter is mostly just a collection of really excellent boss fights…again, a rarity. Repeating them is usually quite fun because you get faster and more reliable each time as you learn their patterns.

Oakreef says:

I’m of the opinion that 90% of games with level progression systems would be made better by having those systems completely removed but obviously there’s lots of people who disagree with me because games like Monster Hunter and Diablo are well loved.

• Philomelle says:

Monster Hunter doesn’t have a level-based progression system though.

Neither do God Eater or Toukiden, for that matter.

• Kitsunin says:

The thing about Monster Hunter is that half of the game IS the “level progression system” which takes the form of better gear (there’s nothing so boring and artificial as a bar which fills up and makes you stronger periodically, it’s ALL in the items). You hunt certain monsters because you need certain things from them in order to make certain things in order to fight more powerful monsters. With all of that you have a very interesting solo economy which encourages you to get really efficient at fighting weaker monsters and makes you feel highly rewarded for managing a particularly tough task.

I guess you could say it’s still a Skinner box but it’s a very nuanced one, with lots of strategy for how to approach obtaining its treats.

• Malagate says:

Thank you for your replies, I feel better informed about both Monster Hunter and God Eater – which is nice. I actually do own one of the monster hunter titles, had it for a few months but have not popped it in to the 3DS yet (yeah, I’m not too keen on emulation).

The concepts of monster hunter and god eater attract me, their execution causes me concern and that has lessened a bit after reading others impressions. Glad to hear that it’s gear progression instead of leveling, might have to look in to what grinding in these games entails. You know, re-fighting your favourite opponent to see how much better you can do it is a lot better than just killing a mob to fill a bar/attempt to beat the odds for a rare loot drop. Might give it a fairer chance later.

11. Ejia says:

I tried to play the original on the PSP, but the horrible analog nubbin coupled with my left thumb being painful meant I really couldn’t get into it. At least I can pick it up somewhere along the line and play it with a 360 pad.

12. Kraosdada says:

I loved the first God Eater, back when it was released on the PSP. I also loved the second one, i played its PSP version, in Japanese. I thought the second one wouldn’t make it here. The monsters are called Aragami (War/Violent Gods). And your weapons are Aragami too.

13. Chillicothe says:

I’ll always associate this franchise with three things: big honkin’ weapons, being a successful MonHun clone, and underboobage.

14. ExitDose says:

This news made my day. I had written off the notion that they’d ever make it overseas. I’ll probably play it on PS4, since that’s where most of my friends will be playing it on, but it makes me happy that the PC is getting to share the wealth.

15. Eight Rooks says:

Monster Hunter is also notable for the amount of work that goes into making its monsters feel as if they could almost be real. Obviously it’s still complete nonsense (particularly the comically large super-bosses), but the art team have talked at length about how they draw inspiration from existing animals, they think about where a new entry to the bestiary would fit in the ecosystem, how it would behave… and it shows, next to God Eater and Toukiden, which – while I don’t dislike them – both plainly come down heavily on the side of “crazed anime cheese”. It does help sell the fantasy when the thing you’re after does look like a creature someone in this fantasy universe might actually be “hunting”, as opposed to “saving the world from”.