ACE Team’s “Dick Starspeed” vs B-Movie Monsters

Unofficial RPS award: Zeno Clash devs ACE Team get the ‘least predictable developer’ gong. They’ve gone surrealistic boxing, historical art-boulders, transforming ARPGs and, soon, apocalyptic wax cylinders, but next up is perhaps their most overt mainstream play yet, The Deadly Tower of Monsters [official site]. But even though it’s got some familiar shooty-jumpy mechanics, it’s still a cavalcade of madly inventive visual ideas. It’s out next month, and the latest footage concentrates on its gloriously B-movie, deliberately low-rent monsters. Basically, if that old Universal Studios set tour ride was expanded into a hacky-slashy game and had a rich sense of self-awareness added, this is that. You even get stop-motion dinosaurs. Delightful! And a hero called, uh, ‘Dick Starspeed’, which is delightful in an entirely different way.

As I understand it, the director’s commentary is an option rather than necessity, though it strikes me as very much the right way to play this thing.

Have to hope the sardonic Ed Wood theme can last a whole game of course, but I’m definitely on board to find out. The Deadly Tower of Monsters will be released via Steam on January 19th, and on that Sony tellybox thingy too.

As giddy a pleasure as this looks, I remain far more interested in the mysterious trailer ACE Team put out a while back for The Endless Cylinder, documenting some intergalactic armageddon on a grand and a bizarre scale. Let’s hope that the relatively broad appeal of Deadly Tower Of Monsters gets them the funbucks they need to make that live up to its great potential.

1. guygodbois00 says:

Indeed. Monsters – what sci-fi in Hollywood really is about. Looks like excellent game, though.

2. TheAngriestHobo says:

This looks pretty great. The stop-motion quality has an authenticity to it that I haven’t quite seen anywhere else, though I do feel that they lose some of that with the distant, top-down perspective. I think the game would have worked better as a third-person cover shooter, personally, since that would give you similar camera perspectives to what you get during firefights in these kinds of films, but I’m still interested to see where this goes.

• Niko says:

Double Fine had a game called Brazen – a Monster Hunter-like with stop-motion monsters, and it looked quite decent, but it froze at the prototype stage I believe.

• abordeu says:

Yes! We actually looked at their demo footage when we started experimenting with the stop-motion development. Seemed like a really cool concept for a game, their demo.

G-Lord says:

Love ACE team, can’t wait to play it.

4. Darth Gangrel says:

What “transforming ARPG” have they done? I couldn’t find anything resembling that when I checked their list of developed games on Wikipedia.

5. qrter says:

ACE Team have such interesting ideas.. now if they could only just build an actually fun-to-play game around them..