A Better You: Dying Light’s Legendary Levels

Dying Light’s [official site] mega-expansion, The Following, takes the zombie-killing open world action out of the city and into the surrounding area. That means your parkour and urban scavenging skills might be slightly less useful than they had been while you were clambering across rooftops and digging through the trash. Enter the buggy – a customisable vehicle that has its own equivalent of the base game’s skill trees.

Those skills haven’t been left behind though. The expansion, and the free update for the base game, will introduce 250 new legendary levels, allowing you to become faster, stronger and smarter.

I reinstalled Dying Light last week. Mostly, I wanted to check if it was as enjoyable as memory suggested but I was also preparing myself for the expansion. It’s one of the few open world games that I’ve wanted to strip clean, finding every secret cache and upgrading every ability.

Occasionally, I’m nostalgic for the early stages, when every stumbling mob of undead rotters posed a threat, but running around the streets like a superhero probably shows the game at its best. The game shifts gears dramatically as the player character levels up – flirting with stealth-horror, tense gang warfare and physical comedy – but it’s a system-driven toybox at heart.

These new Legendary Levels should allow every player who puts in the hours to create a master of all trades character, which should make the late-game (or post-game) much more enjoyable.

Techland recently shared some of the expansion’s plot specifics, including details of the cult that may hold the key to survival. Gosh. Both expansion and Enhanced Edition will be available Feb 9th. It might take a while longer than that for everyone else to do the right thing and acknowledge that Dying Light is one of the smartest Big Games of recent years, even if it is caught up in a rather dumb zombie-smashin’ wrapper.

1. Awesomeclaw says:

Me and a friend started playing Dying Light co-op quite recently. It’s a lot of fun and has what can only be described as the best slide kick in gaming. If anyone picks it up I recommend starting with the Dark Souls-ish zombie invasions disabled, since the few times we were invaded we got absolutely trounced.

• aepervius says:

Sometiems I wish dying light was sold in germany. Unfortunately it will not be as many zombie game.

• Helmsguard says:

But thankfully the internet is not tied to national borders.

• Zorn says:

It’s still annoying to be denied the comfort of being able to play it over steam. :/

2. Kefren says:

I played the demo, and just couldn’t get into it. I have a vague memory of feeling there were too many things going on, too many notifications and screens and distractions. It also reminded me too much of Dead Island (especially the wooden NPCs I met) – another game I thought I’d love, but which often bludgeoned me with irritations instead, such as not letting me take routes that should have been feasible, or being charged $10,000 for a baseball bat.

• socrate says:

i actually liked dead island alots more then this…the environment in dead light felt aweful and dull…it also felt like i was playing a worst assasin creed game in fps..the setting was also extremely bad…at least in dead island i could make a blunt weapon that could send zombie into orbit…im also tired of the whole “parkour” thing which in this one glitched and frustrated me then entire game,it was just done in the worst possible way…also lvling was slow as hell…and from what i can remember not really rewarding overall except for a few skill…now this just seems like % bonus which are even worst in terms of skill gaining and costume…il seriously never get…maybe if you play co-op but…its not like you see your character every 5 sec.

• Lovely Alexander says:

I wasn’t keen on the demo either. But I saw the full game for cheap and picked it up because I loved Dead Island. Though it certainly had its flaws.

There are very few annoying routes that you can’t take, because you’re not confined to the ground.

You’re very weak at the beginning. I’m certain it was a conscious decision by the developers to really force you into exploring your freerunning abilities and to stop the game being “Dead Island with parkour”. Even though it basically is eventually. The freerunning works about 97% of the time. The other 3% you’ll curse everything as you fall to your death.

But eventually you become powerful and it’s a joy to prance around, occasionally stopping to slice thirty zombies to shreds. It’s still quite easy to die if you don’t pay attention. You can definitely get weapons that send zombies into orbit. Or at least, half way down a street.

At night it becomes the scariest game I’ve ever played. You have to use stealth, leg it or wait until morning and the game lets you choose. There are only a couple of side quests that actually force you to go out at night.

Oh and it looks the bees knees too. Ignore the writing (“I’m not a leader! I’m a goddamn parkour instructor!”) and plot. Everything can be skipped. Don’t let the demo put you off.

3. suibhne says:

The narrative is awful, but this still stands as one of my most enjoyable games of 2015. The parkour gameplay is brilliant – the first title to clearly leave Mirrors Edge back in the rearview mirror. But I have trouble seeing the point of these “Legendary” levels – leveling was (appropriately) slow in the game, and I’d just barely maxed out my Agility level by the time I’d finished every single sidequest on both maps and even artificially pumped it via jumping around safe(-ish) rooftops at night.

• monkeighy says:

If you played mainly during the day and slept through the nights then it takes quite a long time to level up. If you play through the nights and especially if you survive all night then you get big bonuses to XP and level up much faster.

4. badmothergamer says:

Dying Light was my most pleasant surprise in 2015. This is the type of game I normally would skip entirely but I gave it a try and ended up playing through the entire main quest, a rarity for me. I found the plot interesting enough, even if the dialogue and characters were weak, but the movement system made this game. The parkour movement was so smooth and effortless just running around the city was still fun after a few dozen hours.

I’ll be interested to see what happens with the expansion. Like a lot of others I’m concerned the best aspect of the base game, the movement system, will be largely irrelevant.