I Like This Fallout 4 Action Figure More Than Fallout 4

I’m generally quite averse to game merchandise – I like to keep my flesh-life and my screen-life separate – and I have very mixed feelings about Fallout 4 [official site], but this action figure is making me rethink my approach to desk decoration. It’s a semi-transforming power armour toy, containing a removable, boilersuit-clad Vaultdude within, and made by high-end figure firm 3A. I know we don’t go in for game culture stuff here that much, but this is gosh-wow brillo.

The outer, Brotherhood Of Steel shell can be removed, in a way which seems to evoke the exiting-the-armour animation in the game, and underneath is the skeletal frame which anyone just starting out with power armour wanders about in. I can’t quite work out if that too can be removed, but the pictures suggest most, of not all, of the Vault 111 jumpsuit has been moulded underneath it, so it’s very real possibility.

There’s also a honking great minigun and individually articulated fingers – I’m guessing this thing will be delightful to fiddle with. Only it’ll probably cost about £300 so actually playing with it will probably be too frightening. It’d be lovely if they offered both dude and dudette variants, but I’m sadly presuming this will be bloke-only.

Makers 3A specialise in ridiculously detailed and articulated licensed action figures, with a preference for the mechanoid – Robocop 2, District 9 and Titanfall toys are also in the offing, and they also make ornate but non-transforming Transformers, which profoundly defeat the object but clearly do well enough as they keep making more of them.

No word on a release date or price yet, but my guess would be “2016, lots.”

Pictures from Toyark (more at the link) via Kotaku.

1. PoulWrist says:

Over 25 years as a gamer I’ve acquired, apart from stuff that was in boxes, three pieces of gaming merchandise. A DOOM tshirt, an Anarchy Online tshirt and a Cacodemon plush.

Compared to the number of bandshirts I have, that’s pretty much nothing. But, the difference is that a game is something that in most cases you’re done with it after maybe 6-8 hours. Maybe you replay it once or twice? But then you remember that you have 200 games in your library from all those sales that you need to get around to playing.

Games are fleeting and wearing a shirt for a game or similar generally doesn’t tell anything about you as a person, at most it might identify you as liking a the genre the game represents, or in cases of like LoL or DOTA, it probably identifies you as exclusively being in to one or the other…
    Wearing a Motörhead shirt tells people around you that you’re probably into heavy music, and are likely to enjoy a wide variety of genres, and a bunch of other character traits that come with being in to rock music.

Gaming is just too throw-away and sub-divisioned to a specific title to have much of the merchandising scene make any sense. At least to me. It’s kind of like wearing or getting merchandise related to a book or movie.

• Lakshmi says:

Mastablasta in an AO shirt :P Old school feels.

• frightlever says:

Trolls be trolling, but… some people spend thousands of hours with a game and make lifelong friends playing it. I think that might warrant a t-shirt.

• PoulWrist says:

Which is why I have an AO and Doom shirt. Games that meant something. Most other games? Didn’t mean anything other than some fun during their playtime and I wouldn’t wear a shirt proclaming my love for them or put their art on my wall.

If it means something to you, you’ll want to proclaim it. Just most games cannot mean much to most people as they’re throw-away entertainment, made to be entertainment, without the ability to form communities where you spend thousands of hours with friends. The ones that do? They have meaning, but they’re few and far between.

• PuddingTiger says:

How is that any different from music though? The vast majority of music you listen to is not going to affect or define who you are as a person. No, wearing a Motörhead t-shirt doesn’t tell people those things, you are just projecting what you hope people will take from it.

• mattevansc3 says:

Not always. Much like “geek-chic” there’s quite a few youngsters who wear merchandise of now defunct bands like Nirvana the same way a steady population of students wear Che Guevera t-shirts.

One of my dad’s most worn t-shirts is a promotional Donkey Kong one from when the games was released on the SNES…we never owned a SNES. They were just handing them out at our local computer game store and he liked it.

Your Motorhead T-Shirt says very little about you purely because there are plenty of people who’ll buy it just because they think it looks cool.

• PoulWrist says:

Of course there’s always going to be watering down of things from it becoming somehow popular to express something in a certain way. Like how a lot of “normal” people wear black leather with straps, studs and chains, but their favorite artist is whoever is at the top of the charts. They don’t have much interest in expressing anything other than “I look good” through the way they look.

Doesn’t matter all that much though, as usually you can tell the difference between someone who wears a thing because that thing has some meaning to them, no matter how little outside “i like this thing” and someone who just wears it because it looked cool on a hanger at H&M.

• zcks says:

The thing that is hilariously funny and sad is that the people wearing the Che merchandise are usually extremely left wing & don’t realize how horrible a person he was.

During his time working as an executioner in his personal writings Che said some truly horrible things about people of African & Asian decent, As well as about musicians & artists.

He also said he liked killing them the most out of anyone he ever killed.

• Hedgeclipper says:

Don’t recall reading anything like that from a reliable source. I do know he volunteered in a leper colony for a while.

• Niente says:

200 games in your library from all those sales? That’s not very many, really.

• EstebanLB01 says:

It will be expensive until someone does a 3D scan of the pieces and uploads the model for 3D printing:
      With some glue and/or locks you can have the same articulation as the original

• manny says:

Pokemon says otherwise. Problem with games is unless they are part of a series (Fallout, Pokemon), they never get sufficient mass audience and base to sell merchandise, UNLESS they are films for kids. (cause kids are stupid and will buy anything)

Merchandise is mainly aimed at kids. Adults require more expensive toys, which are more difficult to justify unless the game is a popular series.

2. Lakshmi says:

If there was a dudette version, I might be tempted as I love the look of power armour. But it’s too much cash considering I’d never chose a male protagonist.

3. frightlever says:

The face reminds me of an actor, not a big name one, someone from US TV, but I can’t put my finger on it.

Also, finished the main quest yesterday. 200-something hours of wandering around prior to that. Don’t want to look at it again until the DLC is all out.

• mattevansc3 says:

Its a Mr Generic McAction Star face. He looks a bit like the actor from Person of Interest but he also reminds me of cop shows, the fire brigade, wartime shows, etc.

Qazinsky says:

The actors I see a slight semblance of is Eric Roberts, Lance Henriksen or Clancy Brown, all movie stars rather than tv, but still.

• Umberto Bongo says:

Looks like Jon Hamm.

4. machineageproductions says:

It’s probably for the best they only have Nate, not Nora. Because if they made Nora, I’d buy one.

5. Pulstar says:

Heck, I like almost everything more than FO4.

6. Binky the Boojum says:

He looks like Michael Portillo. The train enthusiast.

7. Sinjun says:

Fallout 4 sucks. After 40 hours I was just thinking to myself “why the hell am I not just playing one of the Stalker games again instead of this dumb trash?”

Carra says:

Got to love these “This game is so bad that I’ve played it for 40 hours” comments.

• Exarchai says:

40 hours on a game, that you say you hated? Someone’s a big fat phony!

• Balance of Power says:

@Sinjun LOL!!! STALKER? Ukraine’s answer for low suicide rates? The game more pointless than a life sim developed by Albert Camus? Give me a break. STALKER is easily the second most overrated series of game in the history of video games, celebrated by hipster gamers who think Fallout is too trendy.

And yet for all it’s cult celebrity STALKER and its developer GSC Game World continue to be a second-rate third-world crap. The developers have yet to make another entry in the series in almost ten years; you’d think with its popularity they’d be pushing them out like hotcakes, but no. And yet here you are implying that Stalker is better than fallout 4.

I don’t think so. When GSC Gameworld presents its game at E3 and sells 900K+ units in a few weeks then we’ll talk. In the meantime you have zero credibility about your opinion on Fallout (which by the way is a fantastic game, one I’ve sunk 300+ hours into already).

8. xyzzy frobozz says:

I’ll never understand adults who collect dolls.

• Hedgeclipper says:

I could understand adults who collected dolls… well not understand so much as appreciate that collecting 18th C examples of doll making might be a thing such as collecting classic cars, stamps or rare books. $300 bits of plastic though? Yep don’t understand that at all.

9. TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

There’s also an impressive amount of people that doesn’t understand adults playing videogames.

10. fish99 says:

Weird making a model of the default male protagonist when most players either wouldn’t have used that face or would have used the female character.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

If I were to pay as much as they are likely going to sell this for I would want a custom face for sure.