Warbanding Free: Mount & Blade 2’s Overworld Map

What a Christmas miracle it would be for Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord [official site] to arrive just in time to be a holiday escape! I mean, it would be. It hasn’t and it won’t. I’m sorta sorry if I got your hopes up? This is why I only receive coal every year (but I’m a practical sort and value useful gifts over trinkets and baubles, so nuts to you Saint Nick). However, what we can have is a wee devblog post from developers Taleworlds going into what’s new with the medieval warfare sandbox RPG’s overworld map and world simulation.

Sure, Mount & Blade has all those sieges and skirmishes and board games in tavern, but the overworld is the bit driving all that. Presented as a world map, it sees bandits and armies roaming around, simulations driving trade, and all the things that make it a real git to master. Sounds like the world itself will be more important this time, though. Taleworlds say:

“The topography of the map is not entirely consistent with Warband, in fact Bannerlord’s map is somewhat more mountainous. The effect of this is an increase in the number of choke points. It will be hard to avoid conflict, for instance, when traversing narrow passes through mountain ranges that may be riddled with ambush spots or enemy patrols. Tactically, the map offers many more options for controlling areas that serve as trade routes. Battles are often fought in the game to contest key choke points with the goal of securing passage for trade caravans and other parties. As a player, it is important to consider what kind of warfare you are likely to end up in, before sacrificing relations with a faction. If your speciality is skirmishing on foot over rough terrain, you might for example avoid engaging the Aserai, who will have higher mobility in the open desert.”

Neat-o! I could quote more chunks, or you could read the full post yourself. Look, it’s the day before the last day or the working year, and I’m frustrated that I’m not allowed to bring in games today or wear my own clothes.

Still no firm word on when we’ll get to play Bannerlord.

1. TheAngriestHobo says:

Are there any factions specializing in siege/urban warfare? Those were always my favourite battles in the original.

2. cpt_freakout says:

That is really great – one of the weird things about Warband was that the map had a big effect on gameplay if you went the merchant route, otherwise it didn’t have much of an impact. You could interrupt trade routes, sure, but it was more of a hassle than outright beating Lords and raiding towns. It’s cool to see it will have more relevance in Bannerlord, particularly if you don’t want to spend all your skillpoints in map movement speed.

Andy_Panthro says:

I do like a good overworld map.

4. jasta85 says:

honestly, so long as they get the gameplay mechanics working properly the modders can take care of everything else. You’ll have all sorts of new maps that cater to whatever people want along with a whole bunch of new stuff that doesn’t even exist in the base game.

Been waiting for this game for years (been, what 3 or 4 years since they announced it?) I just want to play it already, I’ve clocked over 300 hours in warband and still jump in every now and then

5. Auldman says:

The development of this game has been hilarious. I’ve quite enjoyed it.

6. Velko says:

MORE mountainous? But but but… all those Warband battlefields with mountains in them were absolutely horrible. It felt like two hundred Makos charging each other on some particularly poor Mass Effect planet.

• Replikant says:

Good lord, yes. Riders climbing 80 degree slopes (slopes in general are completely unrealistic in most games, to be fair). All attempts at army positioning doomed to fail from the start, Truly horrible.
      Here’s hoping there will be proper mountain pass maps.

• Redcoat-Mic says:

My reading of it is that the overworld map didn’t match the battle map.

Hopefully this time a small bump won’t equal several minj Ben Nevis’ to fight on.

7. DevilishEggs says:

I always did the .ini change or whatever it was in the original to expand the world map’s view distance all the way out so you could see all the little war parties and bandits and merchants galloping about.

8. icecreamjones says:

All this work and they still go with that terrible font

• rabbit says:

similar thoughts ran thru my head i’m afraid :c
      v excited for the game, though.

• Replikant says:

On first glance I thought that this was an M&B1 screenshot, actually.
      To put it positively, they managed to preserve the visual style of the original exceptionally well.

• caff says:

Yeah my first thought too… still, I like their games generally so whatever the font I’ll try it.

9. NephilimNexus says:

I like how you could get into battles saying “ambush” and yet always start half a kilometer away from your enemy.