Assassin’s Creed Syndicate Gets Least Festive DLC Ever

Ho ho ho it’s Christmas, let’s celebrate by making light of one of history’s most brutal serial killers. Yes, the surprisingly ace Assassin’s Creed: Syndicate [official site] on PC now has the long-promised Jack The Ripper DLC, available both to season pass holders and as its own $15 purchase. Putting our confusion about how the Whitechapel killer could possibly feature in the Syndicate timeline to rest, it transpires that the new chunk of story is set 20 years after the parent game.

Evie Fry is the lead protagonist of the DLC, and presumably brings fantastical but secretive justice to the notorious Victorian murderer. Earlier summaries of the DLC suggest that the Ripper’s return will be tied into to the Assassins somehow, because stopping an evil man from maiming and killing women isn’t motivation enough. My guess he’ll turn out to be a high-ranking Assassin and they’ll be all angsty about it.

Here’s an unnecessarily lascivious trailer for the DLC from a little while ago. Happy Christmas.

Also just added to Syndicate on PC is a new patch with apparently improves performance and stability. It also does these specific things:

• Added additional parameter to AC.ini for disabling cloth motion 30FPS limits
• Fixed crash in multi-monitor mode in London
• Fixed FXAA with enabled MSAA
• Fixed changing of display in fullscreen mode issues
• Fixed flickering panel in World Map
• Fixed various render issues
• Fixed several online issues
• Minor UI improvements

Full patch notes here, and expect a 180MB download if you’re using Steam or 440MB if you’re on Uplay.

1. Eight Rooks says:

Yeah, the trailer was exactly the kind of oh-God-please-no dimly-lit sensationalist nonsense I expected (and I say that as someone who liked From Hell the film better than the book), but… Kotaku’s quick look at this actually made it sound interesting. Flawed, still, but interesting, which I really wasn’t expecting. Don’t know if I want to pay full RRP for the Season Pass to get it, but I would like to play it.

2. int says:

Buckle him! Buckle him good!

basilisk says:

I do understand that this was probably inevitable, but having played Syndicate, I’m even more puzzled than before. It’s such a cheerful and silly game.

4. Anthile says:

I’m secretly hoping the DLC ends up as an unexpected crossover with Babylon 5 and it’s revealed they are set in the same universe.

5. Blastaz says:

This is actually a pretty good expansion that builds on plot and mechanics in interesting ways.

A little less snark towards AC wouldn’t go amiss once in a while. This isn’t as thematically on point as Freedom Cry was but it deserves a little more positivity…

• Allenomura says:

To your first sentence: if you say so? Your point about reining in the snark leaves me to ask two things – has AC earned that, and do you believe the criticism such a reaction originates from to be unfounded?

• Zenicetus says:

I think a degree of snark is still justified as long as they keep shoe-horning the present day sci-fi plot into the series, including the overly simplistic black/white conflict with the Templars. I’ve never understood why they felt they needed that after the first couple of games, and couldn’t just go with a fun romp through a historical setting.

On the other hand, they’ve improved so much in Syndicate — like minimal sci-fi, improved characterization and stealth mechanics — that I think they deserve recognition for moving in the right direction now. And yeah, dialing back the snark just a bit.

• AngoraFish says:

And yet… isn’t snark more or less RPS’s raison d’être?

• Blastaz says:

I said a little less, not none!

Sure historical flavours of wall-run-man-stabs can get the snark it richly deserves. it’s just that AC seems to get nothing but derision when really it is trying harder, and arguably reinventing itself more, than any other annual release and there are probably things the hive mind might actually enjoy if it deigned to look below the surface.

The cities for one. Unity’s Paris was simply amazing, a this gen feat of world building thy decays as the Revilution progresses ithat hasn’t really been visually bettered. Syndicates London is a haunting mix of the familiar and the fantastical for anyone who has ever lived there.

On the politics front freedom cry was more daring with terms of race and liberation with intersectional feminism than any other AAA game.

If they dialed down the snark a little they might actually see some interesting stuff…

6. Zenicetus says:

I’m curious enough about how they’ll handle this theme to try it, and I’m just now wrapping up Syndicate so the timing is good (i.e. I won’t forget how all the controls work).

But first I want to read some non-spoilery reviews to see if it’s a procedural mystery or just a bunch of heavily scripted rooftop chases, like one of the similar-themed side missions in Syndicate. I know parkour chasing is a big thing in this series, but I want more than that from a Ripper DLC.

• Blastaz says:

Gameplay wise it’s three set piece assassination missions; some carriage chases; loyalty missions for three friends (the biggest mission for each friend is good, the brothel assaults especially, the rest busy work); and some genuinely spooky murder mystery hunts, they’ve Coke on leaps and bounds since unity, I really hope dangerous crimes isn’t ps4 exclusive as if it’s like this it should be good.

It took about eight hours to 100%.

7. McCool says:

Did they fix the nonsensical decision to put the East End of London to the NORTH of the city from the main game here? It’s really mystifying, everything else is in its proper place, obviously scaled down and centered around notable landmarks, but with THE EAST END for some reason sitting to the NORTH of the city, as opposed to, uh, the east. Where it belongs.

The strangest thing is putting it in the right place wouldn’t even cause any problems, it would’ve just made the map a slightly different shape.

• Blastaz says:

If it’s any consolation, the south west of the map is twisted round as well with them effectively collating Vauxhall and Lambeth bridges and twisting up Pimlico.

Same thing happened in Brotherhood where the Tiber got twisted round 90 degrees to squeeze in St Peters.

If it fits it sits I guess…

8. racccoon says:

Kind of weird why the DLC wasn’t SCROOGE..