Torment Numenera Beta Inbound; Devs Open New Studio

News that inXile’s spiritual Planescape sequel Torment: Tides of New Model Army [official site] won’t, in fact, release its first beta during 2015 comes as little surprise, given there are only four and half minutes left of this year. Even so, it’s good to have confirmation that a sizeable chunk of the soul-searching RPG will be with us “early next year”, with the delay in order that we get “a more polished and complete Beta Test” that should offer around 10 hours of adventuring and existential crisis.

There’s already been an alpha systems test, which was focused more on the main mechanics than the broader world, so the beta will be our first chance to really understand the nature of a game which rounded up over $4 million via Kickstarter back in 2013.

Inxile have also talked a little about some of the areas and challenges beta players will be presented with, as well as how Torment’s 55 backer-designed NPCs are going to work.

Pictured above, by the way, is the headquarters of a faction calling themselves The Order Of Truth, who we’ll encounter in the Sagus Cliffs area of the game. Nice to see that Torment seems to evoke the painted environments look of Planescape despite being broadly based on Wasteland 2 tech. The extent of the sci-fi/fantasy mish-mash in this brand new setting is on show too. It almost looks like an inverted Shadowrun. A full-size version of that screenie is available here to pore over.

Hopefully the beta is weeks rather than months away, though as far as I can tell it will be backers-only, at least to start with. Hopefully it’ll filter down to us proles and COI-fearful hacks before too long. The full game is still slated for a 2016 release date, by the way.

Also in inXile news, they’ve just opened a second studio – their first-ever expansion – in New Orleans, which initially means they can do internal QA rather than outsource, but ultimately means they’ll be capable of making one more game at any one time. More on that here.

1. TomxJ says:

I’m reading the Numenera Source Material as a Primer for this game. Its Monte Cook at his best, I hope that translates well into the game.

2. Infinitron says:

Torment isn’t based on Wasteland 2 tech. It’s based on Pillars of Eternity.

• trappski says:

Actually it’s based on both Wasteland 2 and PoE tech.

link to tormentrpg.tumblr.com

Torment’s code base will thus include the most relevant components of PE’s technology and Wasteland 2’s. We’re making enhancements to best suit Torment, and some systems will of course be completely new as Torment’s design is its own.

• Detocroix says:

And made in Unity, so most of the core tech is just Unity.

3. csbear says:

Thankfully, as I enjoyed Wasteland 2, but PoE is the much better looking game.

• Fomorian1988 says:

How good is Wasteland 2? I haven’t read a single bad review, but the reception never seemed ecstatic.

• Detocroix says:

It’s exactly like that. There isn’t anything seriously wrong with it, just small issues everywhere from basic mechanics to pacing, and then finally when you finish it, it just vanishes from your mind. You know, like an average book, when it’s done, you just close it and find something else to do :)

I always do recommend Wasteland 2 though, it’s worth playing through, but that’s about it.

• csbear says:

What you said pretty much sums it up. I feel it is a pretty good game (I still have a little further to go), but I wouldn’t put it in the top cRPGs of the ones I played this year. I’ve played Witcher 3, FO4, Underrail, PoE, Divinity:OS, Shadowrun: DF, Serpent in the Staglands, Age of Decadence.. and maybe a few more this year. However, I believe WL2 (Director’s Cut) is still a solid game and definitely worth a purchase especially during these Steam sales. I say, ‘go for it,’ and get it on the 50% sale as it is now.

• karthink says:

It’s good. It works, it fulfils all the promises the Kickstarter made: old-school, choices that matter, wacky setting, etc.

It’s not great or inspired. Has pacing issues. Doesn’t have a hook to grab you and not let go.

Doesn’t bode well for Torment, I suppose.

• csbear says:

“Doesn’t bode well for Torment, I suppose.”

Crossing my fingers that’s not the case! Hopefully, inXile has taken that sort of feedback we mentioned above and uses it on Torment!

• TheOx129 says:

Yeah, I’m optimistic. Wasteland 2 was always pitched as the faithful sequel to one of the definitive old-school CRPGs, and I feel that sometimes the design was perhaps a little *too* faithful to the old-school ethos.

Of course, part of me worries Torment will suffer from the same issues as Planescape did in a similar effort to be “faithful”: i.e., a great narrative that has terrible combat.

In any event, I backed it largely because it’s probably the closest we’ll get to a Book of the New Sun CRPG; it being a spiritual sequel to one of my favorite games is merely icing on the cake.

• Assirra says:

Well while Wasteland 2 didn’t get a massive reception, PoE got basically universally praised with some minor issues, like people complaining there was no companion AI or that it didn’t do anything new.
          If they pick the best part of each game it can be amazing.

• Anthile says:

The thing is, and many people forget that, Wasteland 2 is a sequel to the original Wasteland. It’s not just another post-apocalyptic game, it’s a direct continuation of Wasteland. If you have not played it, and I imagine most people who bought Wasteland 2 haven’t, then the story will be that much harder to follow. Just about every plotpoint is reiterated.
        To a Wasteland veteran it’s a very different experience.

• manio22 says:

This guy has it right. To an old wasteland veteran to see again alive some (not all sadly, but some curiously [Hey! Didn’t i kill you on first Wasteland?!] are) of its characters and even re-recruit them as companions drop a tear or two.

4. braven5 says:

Calling it spiritual successor was bad enough, calling it spiritual sequel is worse, I am sure its going to be a great game but it is NOT Planescape, is not even the same World or Era of Planescape.

Planescape is D&D dark demonic fantasy world base on the Planes of existance, mainly the Prime Material Plane, and the only tech is magically powered cog based machinery, Numenera is actually sci-fi where tech seems like magic, with compleately different lore.

Planescape and Numenera share nothing in common except art-style, mood and perhaps narration.

But as I say, Numenera is prob going to be a great game regardless, it certain shares desirable similarties with Planescape, but Spiritual successor is misleading.

• onodera says:

Not a single part of Planescape: Torment has been set on the Prime Material Plane, you’re thinking of Baldur’s Gate.

Phasma Felis says:

And the fact that both settings were created by the same guy, which seems like it would be at least as good an indicator of tone and quality as, say, handing the original license and setting over to someone completely different.

And Onodera is right, Planescape is set everywhere but the Prime Material Plane. That’s kind of the point. The Prime Material is D&D-speak for “the regular world where generic wizards and dragons and elves and shit hang out.”

5. Koshelkin says:

I can’t get over the fact they changed combat from pausable real-time to fully turn-based. I will still get it but my Planescape throwback will be blemished.

• manio22 says:

Frankly, its for the best. It was the weakest point of original Planescape: Torment. Anyone that played a fighter will remember chasing all around enemies who fleeing and couldn’t connect a single hit. So yea…i won’t miss that.

teije says:

No RPG I’m more looking forward to than this and glad I backed. Sounds pretty great so far – and happy they went with TB combat (hate RTWP) and aren’t just slavishly redoing Planescape – I want a great new game, not a retread.

Not expecting to see this until very late in 2016.

• Sakkura says:

As I recall, they had a vote on RTWP vs. turn based and it was split almost right down the middle. Since we have a great RTWP game in Pillars of Eternity, I can live with turn based in Torment Numa Numa, even though I’m in the RTWP camp. Variety is the spice melange, or something.

7. Darth Gangrel says:

“inXile’s spiritual Planescape sequel Torment: Tides of New Model Army” Oh, so you’re too cool to call it Tides of Numa Numa, huh?

I always call it Tides of Númenor, both because I’m a huge LotR fan and because it’s also very close to the real name “Numenera”, which makes it easier to remember it.

MOONRGR says:

“Hopefully it’ll filter down to us proles and COI-fearful hacks before too long.”

COI = Conflict of Interests?

Correct me if I missed something, but I think to best avoid conflict of interests RPS should buy/back the game without the publisher’s notice rather than receiving a free trial game from the publisher.