Lost Worlds: The Saved Games I’ve Abandoned

These are my personal Edwin Droods. Stories that I’ve failed to finish, for one reason or another, and that are left suspended. In the manner of somebody reversing out of a relationship like a heavy goods vehicle, trundling slowly and beeping nonchalantly, I’d like to say to the games included: “It’s not you, it’s me.”

I was inspired to write this after talking to my sister over the weekend. She just bought a new PC and told me she’d finished transferring her Sims 2 neighbourhood across. She’s been playing with that same set of families since the game came out 11 years ago.

When she finally leaves it behind, I hope that the save file exists forever, although the idea of revisiting it one day when we’re both ancient and not long for this world is too sad to contemplate. And what are the chances it’ll be compatible with whatever passes for a computer a few decades from now anyhow? Slim. Although I might be able to play it on the phone that is also my eye.

Game: Civilization IV
When I quit playing: As soon as someone declares war on me.
Reason for abandonment: Wars require so much micromanagement.

I have started approximately fourteen million games of Civ IV and I’ve finished maybe six of them. The vast majority of the civilisations I build are peaceful creations and I tend to think of armies as busywork. Science and culture are based around the choices I make, as is settlement, but as soon as war breaks out I make the same old build queues and then direct my troops toward the nearest or weakest enemy city. At least that’s how it feels.

Game: Final Fantasy VII
When I quit playing: Junon Underwater Reactor
Reason for abandonment: Learned what ‘grinding’ meant.

Carry Armor. I just had to look up the name of the boss that forced me to quit Final Fantasy VII. I didn’t think I’d ever play the game again, though I’ve finished it since that first attempt. Cloud’s daft soon-to-be-remade adventure was my first JRPG experience and I spent the first hour wondering when the story stuff would end and the RPG bit would start. I thought I was playing through a very drawn out introductory sequence and soon I’d be free to explore a little.

A couple of weeks later I’d reached the underwater reactor and I found that my party were incapable of beating the Carry Armor, which can neutralise two characters leaving the remaining member to fight alone. It’s entirely possible that I could have won but repeated failures convinced me that I should have spent more time levelling up earlier in the game, so I quit.

Game: Crusader Kings II
When I quit playing: Around 1240.
Reason for abandonment: My son was the absolute worst.

I had one good son. If that hadn’t been the case maybe the disappointment wouldn’t have been all-consuming. This was the ultimate CKII game, the one in which I’d taken on all-comers and become a legend in my own lifetime. As ruler of (almost) everything from the eastern edge of modern day France to the southern tip of the Iberian peninsula and the borders of a Scandinavian threat that had trickled south and started to encroach on Hungary, I was the most powerful man in the world.

My heir wasn’t fit to rule; he was fit to be locked in a dungeon. Physically and emotionally broken for no reason that I could discern – perhaps being the son of the most powerful man in the world is stressful in and of itself? – he couldn’t have commanded the respect of a puppy. When his elder brother died due to an infected wound, he took his place as next in line to the throne. His father died when the idiot heir had turned 31 without achieving anything of note in his life.

I normally enjoy the fall more than the rise in CKII but this time my efforts had taken a lot out of me. It’s the only time I’ve ever played the game to win, as it were, and I couldn’t stand to watch the end of my empire. One day I’ll go back.

Game: The Ritual on Weylyn Island
When I quit playing: About ten feet from where the game begins. Almost.
Reason for abandonment: I couldn’t open the door to leave the first building in the game.

This was last night. I play a lot of games that I don’t end up writing about. Digging through recent releases, particularly obscure horror games, is a hobby of mine, and it’s how I unearth occasional diamonds in the rough. The Ritual on Weylyn Island is not a diamond. I ran into two nasty bugs within two minutes of starting the game: the first left me unable to move without spinning around as I did so and the second left me unable to open doors or pick up objects. The latter bug occurred after I’d entered a cabin and the door had closed behind me, so I was unable to leave.

Reloading didn’t help but I did manage to progress by controlling everything with mouse and keyboard except the button to activate doors or pick up objects, which was mapped to the right trigger on my 360 pad. I played like that for a while, unable to use just one control method at a time because the joypad mapping means that the left and right bumpers make the character turn around (left makes her turn right and right makes her turn left, of course) and the right stick’s x-axis makes her look up and down (left is up, right is down). The left stick is the only sensible one – pushing it forward moves the character forward.

I eventually quit because even though I managed to kick my Uncle Brian in the face, a jump scare kept killing me in the next scene.

Game: Amnesia: The Dark Descent
When I quit playing: The Prison level.
Reason for Abandonment: I was too scared to leave the room.

Went into a dark room, closed the door, hid behind some crates. Something started banging on the door and then burst into the room. I paused, saved and reloaded several times over the next few days but always quit before the thing could see me. Eventually reverted to a previous save and carried on from there. I like to think that character has made a home behind those crates, refusing to ever leave.

This post was made for the RPS Supporter Program. Subscribe and your money will go towards funding great new articles and videos. Already a member? Thanks for your support!

zinzan says:

Ow wow, soooo many,… orphaned games!!! ….. sad.

Put a humungus number of hours into these games, but never finished.
    Civ II, III & IV – Almost to end game, and lose the will to fight for the last 5%.
    GTA III & IV – About 75% through I lose interest and restart or move on to another game.
    Fallout New Vegas – 6 saved games at 50% complete…. says it all…
    Skyrim, Morrowind, Daggerfall – all have a save game with over 100hrs (1 character), but never come close to finishing any of them…..

What is sadder is all the games I’ve hardly got past the tutorial/1st 2 hours of play, despite loving the game concept/series.

• phanatic62 says:

The GTA games get me as well. I’ve made it to the third island in GTA III, Vice City, San Andreas and GTA IV, but stalled out there and never went back to any of them.

I got very close to “finishing” Morrowind (the main quest at least) but I didn’t even bother with the main quest in any of the other TES games. I actually managed to finish Fallout 3, but almost by mistake. Some quest took me to a town where I picked up the thread of the main quest and finished it off. Only on a second playthrough did I find out that I had actually skipped a huge number of quests for the main story line. It’s kind of crazy but also awesome that the game let’s you finish without going through all of the steps.

• C0llic says:

I second GTA games. I typically never finish the main story, allowing myself to get burned out doing all manner of side content until I just get bored.

There are two exceptions to this rule for me (and I’ve played all of them) Vice City and GTA V. Although GTA V was one I had to come back to in order to finish. Vice City was just amazing.

• Chaoslord AJ says:

I’m pretty sure it’s not possible in Fallout 4 anymore, shame.

• Ragnar says:

I quit GTA IV when I realized I was bored more often than entertained.

I thought I didn’t like open-world games, but then I tried and loved Sleeping Dogs. Turns out I just don’t like boring and over-hyped.

Serrit says:

idiot heir had turned 31 without achieving anything of note in his life

Eek that one cuts a bit too close to home for me :-)

• C0llic says:

< Indulgent wastrel

• Darth Gangrel says:

I’m soon 31 and feel the same way :P.

I rarely leave games unfinished, quite the contrary, which has created a “100+ hours or not at all” situation for me. I have games that I’ve finished a dozen times, simply because I like playing them. I know that I will like playing them, so I keep on doing it, because starting a brand new game takes a bit effort and I’m a bit too comfortable to commit and take a chance in that way. Let’s not even begin talking about the mods for those games.

• HogOfSerendipity says:

I’ve been living with this knowledge for the past three years.

But I’m starting to think of it as an achievement.

• chris1479 says:

29 and feel the same way you’re not alone :)

• chris1479 says:

29 and feel the same way you’re not alone heh :)

3. Retne says:

The biggie for me, and the one I keep meaning to go back to, is FF VII. Not very original, it appears.

It was less of a gameplay reason for me: I played it, had to reformat / reload my OS on my PC so moved my save files to a friend’s PC, and… they accidentally deleted them. That was about 60 hours in. I played it again, got to the top of the world (basically the last fight, from what I’ve read since) and finally got distracted by other games (multiplayer, specifically, moving into a shared house).

What’s a little daft is I bought Advent Children on DVD many years ago and don’t want to watch it until I go and complete the game!

Maybe over the Christmas period.

Aerothorn says:

Yes, finish it, for the love of god. And then be terribly disappointed by Advent Children, which is the sort of thing that makes one very nervous about the impending remake.

• malkav11 says:

I have played almost every Rockstar game and finished only two: Bully, which is quite possibly their best game, and, because it was coop, The Warriors. Generally I either run into a difficulty spike I can’t surmount or the sheer density of content means I fall away from it before I’m done. Usually the former, though. I am bad at driving in GTA games, in particular.

• malkav11 says:

Whoops. Forgot where I was in the reply chain. Meant the above to be a general post to this topic and the reply to be “Prepare to be disappointed by pretty much every post-FFVII FFVII spinoff to a greater or lesser degree. Dirge of Cerberus, for example, was dire. Crisis Core was okay at best. Etc.”

zapatapon says:

Advent children is incredibly boring.

tigerfort says:

I’ve still got a savegame part-way through the third campaign of (pretty good RTS game) Warzone 2100. Crippling RSI stopped me playing it any further at the time, and a combination of housemoves, playing other things, and the fact that RTS games are pretty much permanently off my playlist to avoid a similarly bad recurrence means that 15 years later I’ve never gone back and finished rescuing the world from the evil Nexus. Even if my arms magically got better, I’d be unlikely to return now, because, well, it’s been 15 years, and I’ve forgotten most of the details of how to play…

• PhilBowles says:

I’ve been driving myself mad trying to remember the name of one of my never-finished RTS games back from pre-Dawn of War days. All I recall of it is that it was a planet-based RTS with the premise that humans inadvertently began a war when a probe sent to explore an inhabited system crashed into its moon, killing lots of innocent aliens (had quite a nice, albeit obvious, story intro from the aliens’ perspective in the manual). I think it came in an orange box…

5. TomxJ says:

Game: Skyrim
    When I quit playing: About 30 mods in
    Reason for abandonment: I broke the Moon

Game: Transistor
    When I quit playing: 3/4 of the way through
    Reason for abandonment: I don’t want it to end

Game: Grow Home
    When I quit playing: Half way up
    Reason for abandonment: My thumbs are in agony

• hungrycookpot says:

“I don’t want it to end”

You’ve summed up my entire history of unfinished RPGs.

6. Gwog says:

Yeah, I never finished the Half Life series. Got to the point where I had killed the Nihilanth, destroyed the Citadel, escaped City 17, closed the resulting Combine superportal, watched Eli get killed, and then found myself just… unable to play any further.

So many threads left dangling.

Sad.

alison says:

Ah, good, i thought i was the only one. The intro sequence to Half Life was really amazing at the time. I still have fond memories of that monorail ride and the first 10 minutes of wandering round a fully-staffed underground research base. And then the aliens appear, and i bounced right off. I’ve tried several times because it’s supposed to be the bestest game everrr, but i just get frustrated running through corridors shooting bullet sponges. And don’t even get me started on the Sokoban/jumping puzzles. I got Half-Life 2 as Steam gift at some point and was never able to force myself past the first few levels of it either.

Thinking about it, i had the same problem with Bioshock, which i tried to play for the first time recently and also hit a wall when i realized i was in a very pretty world where all i could do was walk over invisible triggers and get swarmed by bullet sponges.

On a completely different tip, i made it through all of Syberia and the first couple stations of Syberia II till i realized that i was not at all invested in the characters, and having to click through hours of dry dialog was driving me nuts. My save is still stuck in some cold depressing monastery, or something.

Speaking of cold and depressing train stations. I also stopped playing Metro 2033. It was bleak. Bleak as fuck. I was constantly about to die. Everywhere. All the time. And when i wasn’t about to die, i was in a dirty, damp tunnel. I actually admire the game for being so pitiless. And the story did seem like it was going somewhere interesting. But, yeah. Bullet sponges and no goddamn bullets to shoot them with. I’ve resolved to go back to that save the next time i feel depressed just to remind me that no matter how awful my life seems, at least i’m not in a zombie-ridden post-apocalyptic wasteland armed with only a rusty pea shooter.

Yup, abandoned saves. Good times. Teenage me would’ve persevered because, what else are you going to do? But now there are a million other games i really do enjoy, that no doubt a million other people are abandoning their saves in as we speak. Hooray for the 21st century.

• KingFunk says:

That happened to me with Syberia 1. Gave up just about to leave the university. but at least now I always imagine ‘John Walker’ in the voice of the friendly automaton whose name I can’t recall now…

• Aspirant_Fool says:

Don’t worry, I got it. It was funny, but I couldn’t finish my reply praising its cleverness after that novella that alison posted took the wind out my sails.

7. Pizzacheeks McFroogleburgher says:

Deus Ex HR: wanted to like it, gave it 40 hours(!) realised the world was made of cardboard, stopped playing. It was like being stuck in a lift with Gary Barlow, on a hangover.

Ditto fallout 3, after 2 hours.

• Turkey says:

I abandoned DX:HR after I found out there weren’t any more hub areas after the second one.

magnificent octopus says:

Same with DX: HR. Played 20+ hours, stopped when I realised I wasn’t really enjoying it.

Also, I’m currently refusing to look at CKII out of guilt. I was uniting Wales, and nearly had it, and suddenly found myself in 3 wars at once. I have no idea how to fix this (Ironman mode, so no cheating with saves), but I’ve put too much effort into that game to abandon it, so it sits, unplayed.

8. Zenobite says:

Fallout NV (PC) – Just never got into like FO3, got bored and just started killing towns.

Grandia II (PS2) – PS2 broke and by the time I got a new one I forgot what I was doing and couldn’t be arsed to start again

Zelda Link’s Awakening (GB) – I’ve been playing this off and on since it was released, I’ll really into it and play it loads, then get side-tracked and when come back to it and start again.

9. pixelworship says:

I danced the start-stop dance with FF VII for almost fifteen years, before I finally made it through to the end in 2010.
    I’ve been doing the same with Baldur’s Gate, Planescape: Torment, Fallout NV, and too many others to name.

Might do a blog post about this. I think it could help me identify where and why I stop playing certain games, and might help me actually finish them someday.

• PhilBowles says:

This happens to me with most RPGs – I played The Bard’s Tale a lot as a kid and think I only completed it once, and never finished the sequels. I’ve also never made it far in the Baldur’s Gate games – though now have all of those on Steam and periodically try again.

I’ve also never finished the campaign for my favourite RTS, Cossacks. And I have Adam’s reaction to wars in Civilization IV.

Others (mostly from days gone by):

X-COM: Terror from the Deep
      When I quit playing: usually the third or fourth story mission
      Reason for abandonment: As well as its absurd difficulty level (to this day quite possibly the hardest turn-based game I’ve ever played), TftD has twelve story missions that are all exactly the same, on a fixed two-level map rather than the usual procedurally-generated ones. You just lose the will to go on; UFO’s base assaults were always a chore, and this is like a larger, far tougher version of the same.

X-COM: Apocalypse
      When I quit playing: Getting to a point where I had to research tech to enter the alien dimension
      Reason for abandonment: Not having access to any researchable techs – nothing I could do or collect for autopsy appeared to unlock the necessary technology. Another game I’ve tried returning to in the Steam era, but the combat interface (and indeed system) is so atrocious it’s impossible to get back into.

Total War games: I enjoyed Medieval 2 but never finished a game, and more often than not abandon other TW campaigns some way before completion – in Rome and Rome 2 this was mainly because they were simply too easy and I got bored.

• Asurmen says:

Apocalypse I believe you had to have researched all the control mechanisms. Not sure whether you had to research some of the UFO types as well. Either way it will let you research a probe.

I only ever played it in real time so the sum total use of the UI was mainly the speed I wanted it playing at.

10. w0bbl3r says:

Funny, I quit amnesia in the prison.
    Because I was too BORED to continue.
    Funny how some people find some things scary, others don’t
    I didn’t find amnesia scary after the first encounter with the water monster and the first encounter with the lamp monster thing. They were just annoyances after that initial sense of creepiness.
    I found outlast far scarier, where the enemies were (mostly) human, completely insane, ready to just tear you apart with their bare hands. The night vision on the camera helped with the feeling of unease in that game though. A few jump scares in it that it could have done without (except the one near the start when you open the door to the body dropping out, that was a good one), but other than that I found it totally creepy and tense almost all the way through, until the silly ghost end level.
    I know others didn’t find outlast very scary. Each to their own I guess.

11. randomkeyhits says:

I usually don’t finish a game if I hit the wall.

Thats the one the developers put in to make a fight or particular activity seem “important”. Doesn’t matter what difficulty I’m playing, this one point is significantly harder than anything thats come before and feels completely out of place. Usually demanding many re-runs until you’ve absorbed all the nuances on how it needs to be played. Then you’ve actually got to put it all together to get past that point after which everything returns to normal (whatever that is….)

Depending on my mood I may make the effort to continue to progress but sometimes not or not enough to make more than a half dozen attempts. The thing is, the game is now saved at this inflated difficulty point. If I decide to come back to that game then that is what I immediately have to face and often its quickly followed by “sod it” and I go play something else.

I could restart but it just means I’ll hit that wall again with probably the same results and my to-play list is long enough that it becomes very unlikely.

alison says:

I can’t wait till developers realize boss fights suck. I almost quit Deus Ex: Human Revolution several times because of this, not to mention Mass Effect, Remember Me and many others. It might’ve made financial sense in the coin-op days, but now every time i get to one of these battles i am just reminded i am playing a computer game. It doesn’t feel challenging, it just feels like a contrived time-sink.

• wxid says:

Dear god yes this. Boss fights suck in pretty much every game.

One of the things I liked most about The Last Of Us was the (almost) complete lack of boss fights.

Played DX:HR with the ‘fixed’ boss fights but they were still appallingly stupid, and I was thinking all the time what a decent game it would be if they’d simply left them out completely.

There’s no need for boss sequences these days, unless that’s the whole raison d’être for your game (e.g. Dark Souls/Bloodborne) – and even Bloodborne I found the exploration and all the ‘minion’ creatures infinitely more interesting than the annoying boss fight sequences.

• Ragnar says:

I really liked the boss fight at the end of Mass Effect 1, I thought it was rather well done and felt suitably epic. I agree with you in general, though; most boss fights outside of beat-em-ups result in me thinking, “Ugh, is it over yet? I just want this to end!”

12. KingFunk says:

Baldur’s Gate 2. As I recall there’s a labyrinth you go through before the last boss, which I made it through. However, it seemed I wasn’t prepared enough for the last boss and couldn’t beat him. Also, all my saves before the labyrinth had been overwritten by now, so I was screwed… Now I tend to keep ludicrous amounts of save files to prevent such a thing.

• Velthaertirden says:

The only labyrinth I remember is quite far from the last boss: link to mikesrpgcenter.com
      If you have not done so, it would be worth rerolling and playing Baldur’s Gate past this point. Especially since the game facilitates replaying with many classes/choices.

• lucidfire says:

I think he’s referring to the last boss of the first game, Sarevok, who is in fact right after a labyrinth. However, considering that the saga only gets better (much better) after the first game, I agree that it’s worth another try.

13. Zaxwerks says:

I usually play a game I start to completion except for…

Fallout 3 – Got maybe 10 hours into the game and then realized that all I was getting were mindless fetch quests and I didn’t care about any of the characters in the game who were giving me them.

GTA4 – Having to drive across the city and then fail a mission to find that I had to re-drive across the city and then fail the mission to find that I had to re-re-drive across the city…

Dungeons – Being red-green colourblind couldn’t make head nor tail of what was going on.

Fable Anniversary – Lasted 10 minutes and had atrocious motion sickness and could find no way to change the FOV or motion blur.

Elite: Dangerous – Lasted about 2 hours and got tired of re-mapping keys to try and find a combination that didn’t feel awful in order to experience gameplay that hadn’t really changed since its first iteration 35 years ago, just had prettier graphics.

Call of Duty: World At War – got about halfway through the game and got tired of the enemies endlessly grenade spamming me.

• Ragnar says:

Don’t forget having to stop to buy armor on your way to failing the mission in GTA IV.

• Giuseppe says:

You don’t have to drive around to missions in GTA4, at least on PC. Taxis function pretty much as fast travel in this game, though I admit they aren’t always around when you want them. Plus there’s the handy retry mission SMS you get after failing a mission.

Sometimes I would still drive to a mission location, but often I’d find myself just fast-travelling to where I wanted to go using taxis.

• Ragnar says:

Taxis were never around for me. Plus, the missions I would fail would be the ones that require you to drive people to the mission.

And I had hard time using the SMS restart. Sometimes it wouldn’t appear, other times it would disappear too quickly for me to trigger it. And when I did trigger it, it would restart the mission without my bullet-proof vest, which just increases the chance of me failing the mission.

Most frustrating mission failure by far was the first follow-by-car mission. Not only did my target drive slower than an elderly student driver and manage to catch every red light, but he had the fortuitous luck to stop at a red light going down a hill. I stopped right after cresting the hill to maintain my distance and waited and watched as car after car rear-ended me, nudging me ever closer and closer to my target, until I finally got too close and failed.

14. Universal Quitter says:

True meaning of grinding? I thought that was a Pokemon game.

Seriously, though, if you get stuck on Carry Armor, that doesn’t mean you’re not high enough level. You have to get through tougher difficulty spikes to even get that far.

What it means is that you’ve failed to get the correct “Enemy Skills” on the way.

15. Rhodokasaurus says:

Shit, it’d be easier to list the games that I *have* finished in the last couple years.

LA Noire: story and gameplay was compelling all the way through
    Grow Home: the perfect power curve in a neat little package
    Telltale games: they’re made to be finished, bless their hearts
    GTA 5: even though the story was weak and the missions were repetitive, the world was so damn well crafted and getting around was plain fun.

• Chaoslord AJ says:

Grow home can be recommended esp. since it finishes in 4-5 hours and that’s doable.

16. Ragnar says:

I quit Final Fantasy VII when I couldn’t figure out where to go next. I spent hours looking, looked it up on an FAQ, looked at a picture of the world map, still couldn’t find the place.

17. ariston says:

GTA 4… 40 hours, and suddenly I realized I never cared about Niko anyway.

Skyrim: 4 hours. Where is the story? Why should I keep playing? Why is my companion getting stuck on a small rock? I can go anywhere? Do anything? What if I don’t want to? Why is that dragon flying backwards? Why are the animations so rickety? Oh, the sky and the water and the distant mountains… but no. Oblivion “touched” me the same way.

Max Payne 3: 5 hours. I LOVED the first two games. But the inebriated screen twitches and psychedelic colour fests gnawed at me, along with the nihilism quadrupled.

Undertale: 1 hour. Yes, this is the best game of the year. But do I need to play 10 hours to realize this? Why do I find the mini-games and cute pixel art annoying, even though I am a games connoisseur of the first order?

Oh, the anguish.

• Rhodokasaurus says:

Undertale *is* amazing if you’re the right demographic: either a lonely pre-teen or someone looking for some sweet hipster-gamer street cred. It resonates with adults in the same way that My Little Pony does.

• GWOP says:

Oh, aren’t you precious.

• Chaoslord AJ says:

I’m on the edge with this one. Critical reception was extremely good but I’m afraid it might be just like with The Stanley Parable which was hyped for being meta.

• RabbitIslandHermit says:

I like the idea that people play one of (?) the most successful indie titles of the year for hipster street cred. Every other youtuber has a playthrough of it, Captain Beefheart it ain’t.

18. MadTinkerer says:

But… the underwater reactor is optional! You can just leave, and the only consequence is you might be left wondering what happened to a couple of the minor characters(answer: they’re searching for something in the reactor, and won’t leave until you beat it). I didn’t beat it until my third or fourth playthrough, when I had been grinding. Beating the underwater reactor actually makes the “final” dungeon too easy, and Sephiroth becomes (even more of) a pushover because his fight is balanced with the assumption that the player is doing minimal grinding.

Meanwhile, I probably should finish System Shock 2 some time.

19. JaggidEdje says:

I got a kick out of this article.. It is so much like me. I didn’t realize it was not an uncommon thing with gamers. Particularly your Civilization example, which describes my experience with the entire series of games.
    The article was also a bit coincidentally for me, just two nights ago I had a strange dream where (in the dream) I accidentally selected a check box in windows that deleted all of my saved games. I freaked out in the dream, then woke up.. BTW, it’s a LOT of save games that I have…where I always think “I’ll come back to that some day”…but then never do.

20. pekingduckman says:

Ori & the Blind Forest, I felt rather sad and had to stop to gather my thoughts.

21. OrculusPrime says:

short but entertaining story about an unfinished Diablo 2 savegame: paladin of the friendzone

22. Synesthesia says:

I have quite a few orphan games. I keep telling myself I’ll finish them.

Latest culprit is Amnesia, the machine for pigs one. I was progressing quite well, and then while walking down into a basement, my lamp flickered and something ran through my field of vision. I noped the fuck out of that, uninstalled immediately, and never looked back. I wonder what happens next.

23. Windypundit says:

Bioshock. On the wharf. Time after time. Every time I read something about Bioshock, every time a new one came out, I thought it sounded like a game I would absolutely love. And every time I try to restart it, I get to the wharf and…just don’t get back to it. Next time I play, I start over to remind myself how it plays…and lose interest at the wharf again. I have no idea why.

Also, I have characters and abandoned property in stations or in space all over non-sovereign regions of New Eden…

24. Jerb Greffy says:

I abandoned amnesia because I lit too many lights and backed myself into a corner where I couldn’t lose the monster.

After the twenty-fifth time the slack jawed motherfucker killed me I packed it in.

25. Chaoslord AJ says:

I finished FF7 3-4 times in my twenties but don’t have the patience anymore. I usually quit in the middle of Disc 1 (PSX). Still love the game though.
    With the GTAs and Bethgames I found the closer I got to the end the hunt for sidequests, items and 100% looses its meaning for me as you’re already overpowered or the interest of the game sharply drops after the master boss/mission is defeated.
    However devs tend to rush the games towards the end so I can finish it in a few hours.
    Hurray for DLC here as in New Vegas. Means there is actually a use for end game gear.

26. Stellar Duck says:

It’d be easier for me list the games I’ve actually completed in recent years:

Um. I replayed Blood Money.
    Her Story.
    Gone Home.
    Alien Isolation (regret finishing that one)
    Bioshock Infinite (regret buying that one)
    Life is Strange

Generally I find that it’s not worth completing story based games. They’re mostly shite. If I’d just stopped playing Alien after the first time you think you’ve gotten rid of the alien it’d be a triumph of a game. Instead it ended up being marred by a supremely bad ending and story that dragged on for 10 hours too long for no good reason.

• JonWood says:

I wonder how many games which are just too long are made that way to silence the crowd that says anything under 40 hours isn’t long enough. Did the team know it should have been 10 hours shorter all along, but not have the clout to stop the publishers tacking on some more game.

Sometimes I wish games would have the option to play an abbreviated mode – same story, shorter combat sections (maybe unlock some of those doors along the way and let me take a shortcut).

• Ragnar says:

Not just publishers, reviewers are guilty of this too.

I remember reading reviews for great games that were criticized for being only 8 hours long. That may not be much for someone being paid to play, but for average people with kids that’s a week-long commitment.

Mass Effect was criticized in reviews for being too short as an RPG under 40 hours. I praise it for being an RPG I can finish in 2 months rather than 6.

I loved Dragon Age Origins, but after 80+ hours I just wanted to be done with it. I didn’t care what side-quests the Dwarves had for me, or what else the Long Deep might contain, I just wanted it to be over. And that was before I had a family taking up all my time.

• DellyWelly says:

“They’re mostly shite” – *nods*

27. Voqar says:

Happens to me a lot. I’ve played ~2000 total hours of Civ 5 but I rarely finish games since I enjoy the early and mid game the most and once it’s a sure win it’s tedious to play it out. I enjoy Rebuild 3 a lot but wrapping up that game is also very tedious (always the same endgame doesn’t help here).

Then there’s the big RPGs that have hundreds of hours of content, like a DAO or Witcher 3. Witcher 3 is one of the best games ever but I only played half way thru before feeling like I’d had enough. I’ll likely go back to it some day but once I’ve put 100-150 hours into such a game I’m usually good.

For some games like PoE I get well into it and it just feels like every battle is the same and all the spells and abilities don’t mean that much since every battle is a routine execution of the same plan – no reason to ever vary except to be less efficient.

It’s not helping that I have ~100 games installed and about 20 games I haven’t even played yet sitting there. Then I end up playing CDDA for days and days, or keep doing my HOTS dailies, and there just isn’t enough time to fully dig in to any single game before my gamer ADD has me shifting gears.

It’s funny, some co-workers and I were discussing what we’d do if we won the lottery. Some said they’d keep working. Not me. They say, how long can you sit around playing video games without getting bored? Um, I could never be bored. I could be cloned 3 times over and never run out of leisurely activities for myselves between games, music (guitar > music theory), reading, wife, etc.

• Fnord73 says:

Agree with you on most games, but not on W3. I find that it consists of several small novelettes, and so I can dive in and do one wuestline at a time, and it doesnt get old.

28. Gramarye says:

My abandoned game was Among the Sleep. A few minutes in I decided to really get into the toddler roleplay: I hid under a table and stayed there.

29. plastesin says:

Game: Clicker Heroes
    Reason for abandonment: My 5$ mouse would break if I continue

30. Asurmen says:

Let’s see:

Assassin’s Creed:
    Just didn’t grip me. Repetitive. Got franchise (up to AssCreed 3) several years ago through Steam sale and it’s made me not touch the others.

Bioshock:
    Bought at release on a machine that was probably somewhat underpowered for it, leading to horrendous load times. Never re-tried even after buying new PC (6 years ago. Now on PC after that!).

Battlefield: Bad Company 2:
    Played like CoD I think.

Numerous repeats of Deus Ex:
    Keep thinking I’ll regain the magic but get bored pretty quickly ironically because I never get to areas I haven’t touched since more or less the first time I played. Of course I’ll get bored if I only repeat the bits I can remember clearly.

Frozen Synapse:
    Can’t remember.

Stalker:
    Again, can’t remember.

Vanishing of Ethan Carter:
    Buyers remorse. Didn’t realise it was a scary game.

Numerous repeats at Vampire: The Masquerade:
    Same reason as Deus Ex.

basilisk says:

The first AssCreed is indeed an insanely repetitive game that hasn’t quite figured itself out. If I can recommend, try AC2 instead, which is where the franchise finds its feet, improving upon pretty much every aspect of the original.

There’s very little story in AC1 and there’s a recap of all the important bits at the start of AC2, so you don’t have to worry about continuity. And it really is a much better game.

• Zaxwerks says:

Agree that AC2 is WAY better than one. I started with IV “Black Flag” and absolutely loved it, so started playing them from the first one (god that was a culture shock) I think I started and stopped playing AC1 about 5 times over the months until I finally knuckled down and completed it. I have got as far as Revelations (so the 5th AC game I’ve played) and I’m bored of them now. The two major problems I have with them is that I find I’m playing most of the game looking at the minimap and not at the amazing graphics, and that the games are 80% collectible filler with in some cases very little reward for all your effort and hard work.

31. apa says:

I made a TODO list of games I should continue someday. I wouldn’t consider the saves abandoned, just waiting for a bit…

32. Nootrac4571 says:

I have an awful habit of getting to the final boss on a game, but not wanting to do it until I’ve done all the other side-stuff. So I spend 50 hours exploring every last crevice of the world, eventually get bored, then never actually do the last bit, even though by that point I’ve so ridiculously over-leveled myself that it would be trivial.

33. soopytwist says:

Save files you still have for games you never finished; beats just not finishing games. I’ve still got save files for:

Eldritch
    Fez
    Freelancer
    Lifeless Planet
    Operation Flashpoint
    Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines
    Giants: Citizen Kabuto
    Hitman: Absolution
    LA Noire
    Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II

I have no clue why I still have the save files. Most of them, particularly the older games are burned on CD’s or DVD’s. I have no intention of ever playing those games again let alone restoring old saves.

34. Trittlewoots says:

Perhaps if you re/visit Robert Jordan’s “I, Claudius”, you could find some inspiration to continue on with your Crusader Kings game. The BBC’s miniseries is worth a watch, and the Audio Book is even better.

You might consider marrying him to his niece, whom has a high intrigue and hates him, then choking on your inevitably poisoned truffles…

35. cpy says:

Why is there a bear saying “Ta!”? Does it mean anything?

36. Egypt Urnash says:

Dragon Age: Inquisition. Got it with my PS4 so I’d have something to play on it. Never played any of the previous ones – hell, I think it’s the first thing from Bioware I’ve ever played. I got to a point where the game warned me that I was approaching the final missions, and that some companion side missions would become unavailable if I pressed onward.

I realized I didn’t really give a damn about most of the missions I’d been completing, side or main quest. And I closed the game and haven’t looked back. It’s still in the console’s drive, so it still sits there at the top of the list of available games. Patiently. Untouched.

Dark Souls. I was having a good time being repeatedly punished by this game I’d gotten a decent handle on its systems and had stopped caring about how many times I died. Then the Firelink Shrine bonfire went out. And there was no point of warmth left in the cold, unforgiving vastness of this beautifully doomed and used-up world. I tried playing a little longer but it just wasn’t the same. I don’t know where I left my character. Probably sitting there staring at that unlit bonfire. I’ll probably never go back.

(Instead I got Bloodborne. Which I still have not finished. My character is currently sitting in front of the statue in the building in the Hunter’s Dream, awaiting the next time I decide to try and tackle the last few bosses and/or the DLC. She does not care that the building is on fire. Really, I am pretty sure the various things she’s seen and done in that game have destroyed her ability to care about much of anything any more. Including the possibility of ever finishing her quest.)