Have You Played… Peggle?

Sponk. Spoink spoink spink sponk sponik. Brrrlalalalaallling! Have you played Peggle?

We have a master document that lists all HYPs we’ve written, apart from any Alec does because HE NEVER ADDS THEM. So when thinking about a game as RPSy as Peggle, Ctrl-Fing the doc for the game left me really rather surprised. Peggle is a game that feels like part of our origin story – we even used to measure demo downloads in how many Peggles of hard drive they took up. Remember demos?

Of course, an eight year old game is something newer readers may have entirely missed! A grown adult who can vote would have been 10 when it came out! So it’s possibly rather important that we don’t let anyone miss out. Play Peggle. You know what? I’m not even going to explain what it is. You should have the pleasure of finding that out for yourself. It’s only £4.25.

Al__S says:

This story should have been an ode. To joy.

2. njury says:

I have played Peggle.
    And again. And again. Close. Just one more. Still close. Maybe if I try the owl?
    Uuuh this next level looks fun, I’ll just try it really quick…

Risingson says:

Of course I played Peggle. You guys at RPS insisted again and again. Thanks for that.

And if you don’t do any official post, happy new year. I will subscribe for the next year because the huge effort you have made to improve and generate vontent deserves it.

• Asherie says:

ah vontent, that’s valuable content, right?

• melnificent says:

I thought Vontent was vole content as Hamsters and Voles are from the same family (Cricetidae).

Risingson says:

XD

Vontent: my thick fingers using the mobile phone. Between that, my many grammar mistakes and general reluctance to review what I write before sending, I think I am becoming some kind of a secondary funny character lately.

• Hypocee says:

Something I know! Because at one point a href=”http://narbonic.com/comic/may-23-28-2005/”>so were gerbils.

Also, it’s a nexus of relevance: “a href=”http://narbonic.com/comic/november-13-18-2000/”>’Do you call it a gerster or a hambil?’ and upon coming back from my search to a reply downthread, yeah, he starts out and spends a lot of time, at least formally, as a humourous secondary character.

• Wulfram says:

I thought it was what you call a German camper.

4. April March says:

I have. But I haven’t in a long time. I should remedy this. Thank you, RPS.

5. victorix says:

My wife and I first played this together in college before we were married. It was one of the last games I would enjoy cheating on by purposefully screwing up the other player. We got really competitive about it.

6. Distec says:

I remember the Peggle addon for WoW, so you could play it in-game while on long flight paths between zones.

‘Twas brilliant.

• FlipMooMonkey says:

Or off-tanking certain raid bosses. Mother Shahraz, I’m looking at you.

7. WladTapas says:

Best use of music as a reward.

Andy_Panthro says:

I played it on a friends xbox360, a long while ago. I later got the popcap humble bundle, but haven’t actually played peggle since.

9. BooleanBob says:

I’ll give it a go. Is it a big download?

10. C0llic says:

Yes! And it’s great.

There was a time this seemed to be given out free everywhere. That appears to have stopped now.

11. LionsPhil says:

But how big is the download?

• Biscuitry says:

About 1.2 Peggles, I believe.

tigerfort says:

Less a roughly 16% allowance for asset compression in the download, of course.

• Scandalon says:

Actually I believe you’ve been caught out by the conversion between English and Imperial Peggles. Common mistake.

particlese says:

Yeah, but just the demo because I saw a pachinko-like game available through this new “Steam” thing which came with Half-Life 2. I really enjoyed it for an hour or so before uninstalling it out of distaste for the general feel of it. I would later turn out to be one of those knobs who doesn’t like any praise-showering cell phone games, regardless of business model.

Now I’ll listen to the full 9th Symphony on this new year’s eve, though, so thanks for the accidental suggestion!

13. malkav11 says:

I have, but it did nothing for me. It didn’t feel like I had any control over anything that was happening, or any real point to playing. If I’m going to spend my time bouncing a virtual ball around making lights flash and sound effects go off, I’d rather play Pinball FX2 or Pinball Arcade, where it feels like skill actually matters. I don’t -have- any skill, but it seems like it’s possible to develop. I did not get that feeling from Peggle.

• pennywyz says:

I am going to respectfully disagree, I feel like Peggle is one of a few games I play where skill actually matters a lot, despite the initial feeling of total chaos (Mount and Blade MP being another great example). There will eventually come a point where you plan out a triple bank shot off of independently moving pegs to clear the level, also trying to get the ball into that damned center hole, and holy shit it actually worked.

Really, there is not much luck involved because as far as I know the ball hitting a peg at any given angle will result in a perfectly consistent bounce. It seems random only because we can’t easily visualize that many steps out in advance. Yeah there is some RNG with where the orange pegs are placed, but with some planning it’s usually not a problem.

Beating the master levels where you are allowed only one ball is one of my great life achievements.

• malkav11 says:

What you say may be true, but it certainly isn’t apparent from the early going and I have no particular desire to play long enough to find out.

• jrodman says:

I had the same reaction.

I’m not sure if this is a game flaw, or just a personality thing, but I’m tempted to say I’m perfect and the game is wrong. Purely an unbiased judgement.

14. Jalan says:

I have, but more importantly I remember the vain hope I had that Peggle 2 would actually be coming to PC. Right around the same time I was still optimistic about Plants vs. Zombies 2.

15. plastesin says:

I got this game free a while back. Really addictive. The download link still in my e-mail. But I think I love Plants vs. Zombies more.