The PC Games Of 2016

Driving and Racing Games

Some people like driving the world’s fastest car in an exciting, competitive online motorsport. Some people like driving articulated lorries along the motorways and backroads of central Europe. Whichever you are, you should find something to satisfy among the PC’s driving and racing games.

BeamNG.drive

Official site

Genre
Driving, Simulation, Early Access, Physics Sandbox
Release date
TBA 2016
What is it?
If you like a bit of destruction in your driving sims, then BeamNG.drive might be for you. Having begun life as a physics prototype that gave its cars soft body physics, it’s now a fully-fledged racer with loads of cars, tracks and an open-world mode. Graham praised its physics engine: “If you haven’t seen BeamNG damage modelling yet, then you likely haven’t seen anything quite like it in games.”

All BeamNG.drive posts.

Wreckfest

Official site

Genre
Driving/Racing
Release date
TBA 2016
What is it?
The artist formerly known as Next Car Game that’s now known as Next Car Game: Wreckfest is the upcoming demolition derby-a-thon from FlatOut masterminds Bugbear Entertainment. It’s been an Early Access work in progress since early 2014, but has added plenty of features since including on-going tweaks to its impressive engine physics and AI, and an 18-player online multiplayer mode.

Wreckfest preview.
All Wreckfest posts.

Road Redemption

Official site

Genre
Driving/Racing, Early Access
Release date
TBA 2016
What is it?
The younger, flashier spiritual successor to all-time motorcyclatron great Road Rash that’s been revving its engine on Steam Early Access since late 2014. Road Redemption looks set to cross lanes to full release in the first half of 2016 where you might elbow an opposing racer in the face, smash ‘em with a chain, or strap an explosive to their back.
Road Redemption preview.
All Road Redemption posts.

Thumper

Official site

Genre
Driving/Racing
Release date
TBA 2016
What is it?
Don’t be fooled by its playful cartoon rabbit-sounding name – Thumper, from what we’ve seen, is pretty terrifying. With two rhythm game veterans at its helm, Thumper is an abstract rhythm action game that’s not only weird but rather intimidating. Think Audiosurf with ‘roid rage and you’re on the right track.

All Thumper posts.

Table Top Racing: World Tour

Official site

Genre
Driving/Racing
Release date
TBA
What is it?
This timed PlayStation exclusive will see its bestest, shiniest version strut its gears and pistons on PC because, well, that’s always the case. Obvs. Table Top Racing: World Tour is essentially Micro Machines under any other guise but in 3D.

Distance

Official site

Genre
Driving/Racing, Early Access
Release date
Q2 2016
What is it?
Distance describes itself as “survival racing” which basically means it’s a racing game set within a time-attack obstacle course. It’s a neon-soaked Tron-like affair where cars have wings and boosts and jump mechanics soldered into their frames to allow the evasion of said obstacles that wee bit easier.

Distance review (early access).
All Distance posts.

Need for Speed

Official site

Genre
Racing
Release date
Q2 2016
What is it?
A “full reboot” of the series, say EA, that you might’ve noticed pop up on consoles last year. It’s been delayed on PC to accommodate its proposed unlocked framerate but will take place in an open world where it’s always night time and will follow five street racing hopefuls as they strive to catch the eye of the game’s five “icons”.

All Need For Speed posts.

Sébastien Loeb Rally Evo

Official site

Genre
Racing, Rally
Release date
29 Jan 2016
What is it?
Nine-time World Rally Champion Séb Loeb – who apparently provided technical support on Gran Turismo 5 – lends his name to this rally racer as it looks to challenge the likes of Dirt in the driving seat. Its 50+ car models, eight rallies and 300km of tracks might do just that.

FutureGrind

Official site

Genre
Driving, Tricks, Platformer
Release date
Q2 2016
What is it?
FutureGrind is a totally bodacious grind-along stunt platformer that trades in skill, tricks and speed. It’s sort of like OlliOlli but set in the future with a futuristic bike instead of a skateboard. One wheel’s blue and the other’s red which, luck would have it, matches the track you’re tasked with gliding across. Awesome.

All FutureGrind posts.

From this site

1. Cockie says:

No “No Man’s Sky”? Or did I miss it? It’s coming in June this year after all iirc…
    Glad to see Limit Theory make the list though :D

• Cockie says:

Also, great work on the list!

• Andrew says:

It’s in Action section.

• Cockie says:

Ah, I looked in Exploration, Space, Survival and Adventure. It’s listed as “Survival Game, Space” after all.
        Oh well, thanks!

• Hedgeclipper says:

Some of the classifications looked a bit odd to me – Mirror’s edge under shooters for example. Still there’s enough games to make assembling a list like this quite a job.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

Can that game really tolerate any more extremely vague hype?

I mean, it could be super amazing, but we really don’t have the slightest clue.

• Cockie says:

You mean NMS? I agree, but it definitely belongs on a list of possibly interesting games coming out this year, I’d say.

• legopirate27 says:

Limit theory is actually coming out? I assumed that had quietly died along the way. I backed LT on kickstarter, so cool news! :D

• Cockie says:

It is! Josh disappeared for some months due to a stress-related breakdown, got professional help, changed his working method to a healthier one and things are now looking great.
        Source: link to kickstarter.com

• Jay Load says:

Well…yes, that was a great post to see. However, he’s done little visible since then…October seems to be the last thing I can find of his. Doesn’t mean he’s not busy beavering away, of course, but I do worry there’s been some kind of relapse.

2. Agnosticus says:

Haven’t seen the Dying Light expansion The Following in any of the lists, maybe because it’s an expansion.

I really liked Dying Light, but merging it with mad-maxy car combat sounds like a lot of fun. Also they’re revamping the vanilla game.

3. unraveler says:

No Darkest Dungeon?

4. Yachmenev says:

Three games and one expansion on my own list:

XCOM2
    The Witcher III: Blood and Wine
    Headlander
    Day of the Tentacle: Special Edition

The later two seem to be missing in ther articles list?

• Haggard4Life says:

I didn’t see Full Throttle: Remastered either. Did they forget about the Double Fine games?

• Yachmenev says:

Full Throttle Remastered is a 2017 title, but the others should be there, when it’s a list of 308 titles. Hope they add them.

• Hedgeclipper says:

There’s some odd shoehorning with games for 2016 going on though. I’d be shocked to see a full release of Dwarf Fortress before 2030 and quite surprised to see a lot of those early access games with TBA release dates this year.

5. rustybroomhandle says:

XCOM 2!!!! *loud shriek, followed by a thud… foul smell to follow in a few days*

6. Kallenar says:

The game that I’m looking forward to the most in 2016 has to be “Stardew Valley”! A pixel art farming RPG, similar to “Harvest Moon” and “Animal Crossing”, but for PC.

The remastered version of “Full Throttle”.
    Played it as a child, before I even had a grasp of the English language. And the intro still gives me goosebumps after all these years.

“American Truck Simulator”. Spent more than 100 hours in ETS2, but I’ve always thought American trucks looks alot nicer.

I really hope the Warhammer 40k games they’re working on turns out great. But leaning on past releases, I won’t hold my breath.

7. Dodj33 says:

Great list- i look forward to browsing through at leisurely pace very soon. I would like to echo Unraveller regarding Darkest Dungeon.

Also Mirror’s Edge seems to have been placed accidentally in the Shooter Category.

8. pringles says:

Of the titles on these lists, I’m mildly hyped about Legion, System Shock 3, Mirror’s Edge: Catalyst, ATS and XCOM 2.

I am, however, naming Live for Speed S3 as my contender for the game of the year of 2016. ;O.

9. TheWhippetLord says:

Although they haven’t set a release date, I’ll be surprised if the delightful-looking evil dead god simulator ‘That Which Sleeps’ doesn’t rise in some form this year.

10. PopeRatzo says:

I object to MOBAs and multiplayer gasbags being included in the “Shooter” category.

• Hedgeclipper says:

But then it’d be nearly empty… though I do agree; I got to the shooter page and thought there hasn’t been much activity with shooters lately, then I read on and realised I just wasn’t interested in most of what’s being called a shooter now.

11. Dodj33 says:

Some other games that look promising from my Steam Wishlist-apologies if they are included and I’ve missed them

The Solus Project (Survival/ Exploration)
    Worlds Adrift (MMO)
    Goliath (Action)
    Formula Fusion (Racing)
    RIOT- Civil Unrest (Simulation)
    Bombshell (Action)
    Agatha Christie – The ABC Murders (Adventure)
    Block’hood (Simulation)
    Brigador (Action)
    Secrets of Grindea (RPG)
    Gemini: Heroes Reborn (Action)

• Dodj33 says:

Also Randomly

GRIP (Racing)
      That Dragon, Cancer (Exploration)
      Allison Road (Horror/ Exploration)

12. Turkey says:

Beyond Good and Evil 2 is my most anticipated game on the PC games of 2017 list.

• moisan4 says:

I had no idea they were making a sequel, I am so happy.

• Arkayjiya says:

They were not as far as I remember. It was teased then scrapped then never heard again. Did something change in the meantime?

13. Anthile says:

I think my wallet just had a panic attack.

14. suibhne says:

Daunting list, but also odd omissions like The White March Part 2 and Blood and Wine.

15. Herr_C says:

It seems 2016 will be a bit of a let down after 2015. I haven’t been interested in this many games in one year since 2004.

I just hope 2016 will fix the lack of good MP FPS games in 2015.

16. Eight Rooks says:

Small correction: Dragon’s Dogma is exactly the same, content-wise, as the original release. Bitterblack Isle is the new area that was added as an expansion when Dark Arisen first came out – it was just viewed as mildly odd/confusing at the time because Capcom basically sold it as a physical release (for 360 and PS3) which had the original game on and the expansion seamlessly integrated. If you bought it as a download that was what you got as well – there was no option to just pay for the new content (though IIRC it was priced significantly lower than usual). AFAIK there is nothing PC-exclusive about the port besides resomolutions and what have you.

17. Kitsunin says:

Ooh I forgot about Ladykiller in a Bind. Weird thing to be excited about, I suppose, but darn it there aren’t enough good visual novels! All the stuff getting localized from Japan lately has been pretty damn mediocre, too, but next year we’ve got this and Zero Escape 3! One would hope for a new Ace Attorney game too, but Capcom is so damn disrespectful with spin-offs.

18. aircool says:

I vote to change the term ‘survival game’ to ‘tree puncher’.

19. Biaxident says:

So many games I’m looking forward to. Will be better than 2015 if anything for me if the ones I’m really looking forward to do come out this year.

In particular Torment, HoI4, Stellaris, XCOM 2, Mount and Blade 2, Kingdom Come: Deliverance… I could go on. New Far Cry looks really cool too, big fan of setting it in prehistoric times.

• jonahcutter says:

I really like the setting of Far Cry Primal too. Prehistoric, but without human + dinosaur fantasy. And the series’ hunting-for-crafting system finally won’t seem wildly out of place.

Unfortunately, the melee combat looks really poor so far. Mouse click, stab animation, blood decal. It seems really flat and weightless.

Even if there are bows, there will probably still be a lot of melee fighting. I hope they can come up with something far more engaging than they’ve shown so far.

20. ChromeBallz says:

Why no mention of Black Desert in the MMO section?

• photoheathen says:

Black Desert and Blade & Soul are two MMOs releasing (in the west) in 2016.

SuddenSight says:

I don’t see Hat in Time on this list, so I have now mentioned it. Technically TBA, but it seems about as likely to be released in 2016 as half the games on this list.

22. TheComputerGamer says:

Didn’t see Trackmania Turbo for the racer section; which will have a campaign mode and some odd coop; two people control the same car mode.

Grizzly says:

Automobilista, a racing sim that is itself build upon the Game Stock Car Extreme thingy everybody keeps overlooking, releases later this month. Among it’s upgraded features is a dynamic track system, which means it can butt heads with Rfactor 2 now.

24. Themadcow says:

XCOM 2 just needs to be a bit more x-com to become #1 on my watch list. Just replaying Enemy Within now and it really could have been great if they’d retained the Base and map creation from the original game.

Bards Tale 4 won’t be released in 2016, it’s slated for a 2017 release and will be produced by a new inXile office that hasn’t begun yet.

• bills6693 says:

Obligatory Xenonauts mention :P

Hopefully 2016 will see Goldhawk (the devs) announce what it is they’ve been working on!

I think XCOM 2 will be interesting but not back to old X-COM in terms of map/strategy layer. But hopefully a bit more choice than XCOM 2012 (i.e. hopefully not the 3 abductions choose 1 from 2012), but more of a ‘these will expire’ but you can do more than one if you stretch your resources

• Themadcow says:

Ah,yeah. Need to try Xenonauts again – haven’t really played it since early beta.

As for those pick one from three missions – those would definitely be the first thing I’d get rid of. It’s was stupidly annoying and frankly quite improbable that the world’s foremost defence against the alien invasion was so limited.

• bills6693 says:

Ah yes, definitely try Xenonauts again then, it very much is worth it! Play with the ‘community edition’ too, I’d say.

Yeah, I kind of wish I could have a bit more of the Xenonauts campaign map/design with the XCOM visuals (though Xenonauts does look good still). The multiple bases (or for me, one main base and a few air bases), the ability to shoot down as many UFOs as you can manage with your aircraft available, to send out as many ground missions as you can manage and bomb the other crash sites – all great stuff!

• Hedgeclipper says:

Funny, I finally got round to XCOM recently and I’m finding the cartooniness off putting – between the art style and the pick from two missions thing I’m struggling to enjoy it. I loved Xenonauts though – I’d love to see them tackle TFTD.

• Arona Daal says:

I hope they replace their bizzare Shitpile of Combat Mechanics.Especially the LOS and Cover System.

As someone who has played pretty much every X-com , and X-com Clone, only “Ufo Extraterrestrials Gold” hat a worse Rule System.

Without the gorgeous Graphics & Animations,Xcom EU would be just another failed Attempt at creating a UFO Game.
        And i expect Xcom 2 do be just more of the same.

25. Stupoider says:

The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine, America Truck Simulator, and Mount & Blade Bannerlord are the games I’m most looking forward to in 2016.

26. Sebioff says:

The screenshot on the Planet Coaster entry actually is a fairly recent Parkitect screenshot, while the screenshot on the Parkitect entry is very outdated :)

27. ninjapirate says:

Classifying “Spy Party” as a “shooter” seems a bit odd…

28. Anthile says:

Well, there’s also Kentucky Route Zero. The fourth episode will come out very likely this year and with a bit of luck it might even seen completion. I certainly consider that more likely than Overgrowth being released in 2016.

29. dbemont says:

That Which Sleeps tops my list. Surprised it didn’t make this list.

30. Doomsayer says:

HALF-LIFE 3

31. Pulstar says:

Wasn’t more than half of your 2015 list delayed?
    *applies copious amounts of salt*

32. Doomsayer says:

Hey RPS: You accidentally forgot to give VR its own page. Halfway down page 15 is a header for a VR section and a bunch of games that are decidedly not survival games. And it’s not listed on the index page.

Hey adventure game fans: Obduction is a game you should look forward to this year.

33. Daryl says:

Inner Chains looks fantastic.

34. Ahuizolt says:

Like last year, no presence of Space Engineers in your list. You put Medieval Engineers, which is less advanced in dev, and miss SE… With darkest dungeon, it’s quite big omission… Otherwise, nice list !

35. neshi says:

No Automation (The Car Company Tycoon Game) in the sim list? It’s the one I am most looking forward to!

36. notcurry says:

So Hitman aims to recapture the wonder of earlier instalments and aims to recapture the creative magic of earlier instalments. Interesting.

Also, glad to know that Adam was impressed by its Prequel and Adam was impressed with the segment he saw mid-last year.

You could have waited for the hangover to wear off, guys. We are an understanding community.

37. Urthman says:

Firewatch and The Witness have been my top two most anticipated games for a long time. Hard to believe they’re both coming out within a week of each other.

38. DevilishEggs says:

Asylum, the next adventure game from Scratches designer Agustin Cortes, could come out in 2016.

Twitter indicates maybe.

The subject matter is a bit dated but only because he’s been working on the game for so long.

teije says:

Thanks for putting this together. Some great games in there, including some I hadn’t heard of before – time to update my wishlist…

I’ll add to the other commentators a plug for That Which Sleeps as looking very promising and definitely being released this year.

40. DanMan says:

I feel rather nun-plussed about most of what’s on offer here. I guess I’m getting too old for this s***.

41. PhilBowles says:

Great to see Cossacks 3 picked up in the list – and with a release date, no less. Looks to be a very good year for strategy.

As for other genres, the second Diablo 3 expansion is rumoured for 2016 as well.

• PhilBowles says:

Also, there’s a Homeworld game on this list, but not Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak, which is planned for release this month. Is this the same game under a different name?

42. Hedgeclipper says:

and Factorio out on 25th Feb

43. brucethemoose says:

Did I miss Megaton Rainfall anywhere on this list?

It’s still coming to PC in spite of the PS4 VR announcement, and it looks like a very promising superhero game that could possibly be coming in 2016.

44. GWOP says:

I had totally forgotten about Radio the Universe. How do you guys even remember all these games?

Great list! Thanks for all the hard work!

45. pasports31 says:

No Yooka-Laylee?

46. AngoraFish says:

I find it curious that so few, if any, of the games on the “Roguelike” list actually have anything whatsoever in common with actual Roguelikes.

Seriously, we’re calling a fully 3D space dogfighting sim a “Roguelike” now? The mind boggles… the term truely has become debased to meaninglessness.

• Kyzrati says:

I’d say that Cogmind is absolutely a traditional roguelike despite its many innovations :). It’s even completely designed in ASCII, with an optional tileset layered on top for those who just can’t do ASCII.

I agree on the dogfighting one, though–I remember that one getting posted to /r/roguelikes and then being rather quickly removed by the mods, for good reason.

47. Darth Gangrel says:

Well, I’m definitely looking forward to playing through “the Kennedy assassiantion” in Alekhine’s Gun (page 2).

48. dethtoll says:

XCOM2, Doom, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and Dishonored are my targets for the year.

49. Eleriel says:

Not a single mention of ABZÛ?
    good list either way.

50. davec1 says:

X-COM 2 is definitely high on the list, but I’m, perhaps naturally, most excited about my own game, the beat-synced ambidextrous arcadey mindf…hug that is MODSORK!

link to youtu.be