Rise Of The Tomb Raider Coming To PC This Month

Last we heard from Rise of the Tomb Raider [official site], after people stopped being silly sausages pretending it was an Xbox One exclusive, it was due to swing round our way in “early 2016.” That was as specific as publishers Square Enix would be. Now they’ve narrowed that down a little: it’s due in January. That’s this month. This month is January. January 2016. Or ’16, to use its shortened form. The millennium is now old enough to have sex and buy National Lottery tickets. I must keep reminding myself of this. 2016. It’s January 2016.

This release window comes from the game’s Steam page, which popped up online on Boxing Day when I was… I think I was up a hill at that point? I spent a lot of my holiday around hills. I wasn’t swinging around on ropes, looking for lost civilisations to plunder and strangers to murder, mind – more looking for tranquil spots to sit down and have a nice think. I don’t think that’s what Lara is up to in… Siberia? I think she’s mostly in Siberia this time. Doing many more murders.

Rise of the Tomb Raider hit Xbox One in November, to a pretty warm reception. Here’s that launch trailer:

Yeah yeah, but what about this DLC where Lara gets mashed out her gourd on a trippy adventure to meet Baba Yaga? Sell me that standalone for £10 and I’ll be delighted (they will definitely not do that):

1. MadMinstrel says:

Well good. Let’s just hope we don’t have another Arkham Knight on our hands.

• ZIGS says:

That’s highly unlikely

• Flopdong says:

Probably not. I assume Nixxes is handling the porting process again. Judging from my experiences with their previous porting work, they tend to do an excellent job. (They handled the PC version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution and the previous Tomb Raider)

• FroshKiller says:

Arkham Knight set a new bar for bad PC ports. There will probably never be another screw-up of that caliber.

Well, I guess things got better after it was pulled, patched, and re-released. So I guess that makes it

wait for it

its ex-caliber.

Don Reba says:

In Spain, the millennium has been able to have sex since 2013.

• mattevansc3 says:

Shh…don’t talk thing thirteen year olds being able to have sex. It’s like saying Candyman three times but you’ll call upon the anti-censorship brigade instead.

• Thurgret says:

This also depends on where the start of the millennium is placed. 2001 is a more sensible starting date – the first millennium started in 1, after all, there being no 0.

Topperfalkon says:

The first millennium started in 0 AD/CE…

• Shadow says:

“Year zero does not exist in the Anno Domini (or Common Era) system usually used to number years in the Gregorian calendar and in its predecessor, the Julian calendar. In this system, the year 1 BC is followed by AD 1.”

link to en.wikipedia.org

3. Pheeze says:

But who lit all those candles!?

4. UnholySmoke says:

Sorry to be that guy, but the millennium’s not old enough to do either of those things. ‘The 2000s’ are.

• Pizzacheeks McFroogleburgher says:

Yes, and I’m not 41, my 30s are 11.

• Shadow says:

I think he meant that the millennium started in 2001, not 2000, and therefore it’s 15 years old and not 16.

• MisterFurious says:

Well, he’s wrong. When you count to ten, you don’t start at 1. You start at 0.

• Shadow says:

Not sure if you’re serious.

Don Reba says:

There is still no universal agreement on whether the natural numbers begin with 0 or 1.

• Shadow says:

Despite the existence of zero, I think the vast majority of people count from 1 whenever they need to count anything.

Besides, if one weren’t the first number, then ten can’t be the tenth despite its very name, and that can’t be right.

If you have three eggs in front of you and you start counting them from zero, then you’d conclude you have two eggs. That can’t be right either.

5. soopytwist says:

Why would anybody bother with this? It’s just a rehash of the so-called “reboot”. I had the displeasure of playing a bit of it on Xbox One at a friends the day after Boxing Day. It’s boring with no actual raiding of tombs (yet again), just picking up stuff. It should have been called Rise of the Collector of Pointless Shit.

• Luke Nukem says:

I enjoyed Tomb Raider Reboot
      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Xocrates says:

The Tomb Raider reboot was a decent enough game, so you’re perfectly justified in enjoying it.

It was a crap Tomb Raider game though.

• Perjoss says:

You could not be more wrong, there is lots of tomb raiding and puzzle solving like in the older games in the series.

• Zaxwerks says:

Well in th

• Zaxwerks says:

Well in the 2013 reboot there were only 7 tombs, they were all optional, and they were all pathetic, and only consisted of a single room. Apparently in the new game there are now 9 tombs, again they are all optional, but they are now at least a lot larger, and offer more challenge and provide neat loot if you solve them, they are all hidden out of the way and you have to search for them however.

Quite honestly at this rate I don’t know why they just don’t have an option to say “If you’re a moron just grunt at your computer and we’ll solve the problem for you so you can get back to your vacuous cover shooting” followed by another that says “If we sense you dribbling with stupidity on your keyboard then we’ll automatically win the game for you because we don’t was to tax you too much as you might miss Eastenders and Geordie Shore”.

Bring back the puzzle platformer that I fell in love with you b*stards!

• soopytwist says:

It’s telling that the ONLY games I enjoyed playing in 2015 were The Talos Principle, Soma and Life is Strange (although technically I played Life is Strange in 2016, finished it today in fact (mind fucked and all out of eye juice).

kfix says:

I would like to endorse your first and third paragraphs and agree that I would like to see a game more in the spirit of the earlier Tomb Raiders.

It’s a shame you had to embarrass yourself the with foolish elitist nonsense in your second paragraph. The reboot is a perfectly decent cover shooter for those who like that kind of thing, and it’s possible for a person to like both kinds of game at different times or while in different moods.

Please try not to shit yourself in public the next time you comment. Adults should be able to manage this.

• soopytwist says:

The second paragraph was referring to Rise of the Tomb Raider, not the reboot. I liked the reboot on it’s own strengths. I had hoped Rise of the Tomb Raider would have more elements of the original games though but no. I’ve played it on Xbox One and it is boring. You’ll see for yourself on 28th January.

kfix says:

I was replying to the noted adult human Zaxwerks, not to you – I have no problem with anything you said or the way you said it.

While we’re chatting though, what did they change about RotTR that it’s not as good as the reboot “on it’s own strengths”? I’ve given up hoping for them to make it a good Tomb Raider game, but was hoping that at least the cover shooting would be as entertaining as the first.

6. Siannah says:

Sry Squenix but you taking your time to release on PC = me taking my time to buy.
    I enjoyed the Reboot and have no doubt I will enjoy this one. But I’ll wait for a sale, due to your shenanigans. I’ve developed quiet a bit patience in that regard – Rockstar is still waiting for me to cave in and buy GTA5.

7. Hunchback says:

That’s good news! I remember the “first” TR being a very nice game even tho i didn’t finish it properly because i got too carried away in doing 100% exploration things and eventually lost interest.
    I’d love to play this one, i am in need of something new to play, kind of getting tired of online crap like DOTA etc.