RPS Asks: How To Revamp Assassin’s Creed?

A rumour is going round, based on anonymous 4chan posts supposedly by an Ubisoft employee, that we’ll not see a new main Assassin’s Creed game in 2016, but it’ll return in 2017 with a complete overhaul set in Ancient Egypt. Not the most reliable of sources, that, and probably not a rumour to put money on. However, now we’re all back at work and loitering around water coolers with idle hands and malevolent intent, let’s gasbag and tell other people how to do their jobs. We ask: how would you revitalise the open-world parkouring murder simulator series?

Assassin’s Creed has been unremarkable for several years. Ubisoft have released nine core games in the series since 2007, and about as many spin-offs. They’re not bad they’re just… very familiar. That’s annualised sequels for you.

According to the supposed dev, in a thread archived over here, Assassin’s Creed is skipping a year to come back refreshed and revamped. “The game is going for a Witcher feel, with player progression, freeform combat system,” they say. “Horse is back, and boats too. It’s made by the Black Flag team.” Deeper down in the thread (search for the name ‘Dev !!gVL0FyzPeMv’) come claims that it’ll be a prequel set before the Assassins and Templars even existed, that it’ll be jolly colourful, and that you’ll have a pet eagle. I can’t stress enough that I’m mentioning this as fuel for idle speculation, not reporting it as fact.

So! If you were declared Ubisoft’s Big Assassin Bossman, what would you want to see from the series? Are you happy with its steady evolution? Would you demand bold revolution? Where in time and space would the game go? What would you cannily swipe from other games?

Me, I’d like to play the Assassin’s Creed Cyberfuture game they’ve teased since the whole dang series began, perhaps set around a single vast megablock – lots of vertical shenanigans and hidden nooks. And your murdergang roll in on glowing skateboards.

1. Geebs says:

I would add a game mechanic where the player plans and carries out assassinations.

Henke says:

I don’t know, man. I feel like that might get in the way of the flag collecting.

basilisk says:

This has actually been added in Unity and improved in Syndicate. I don’t want to oversell this, but there are even faint hints of Hitman in their latest approach to assassination missions.

• melnificent says:

The ones in Syndicate were pretty good. If you failed to do an assassination exactly how the mission text described (or fancied doing something different), then you could without a “mission failed” screen.

But yeah, it’s a baby step forward since the series inception with regards to the actual act of being an assassin.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Oh yes, the narrowminded and condescending mentality of insta-fails is so much the opposite of fun gameplay.

“You didn’t do as you were told! Bad, bad little gamer!” Well, excuse me if I want to be able to try out different kinds of things, experiment a little or just be able to improvise if the shit hits the fan.

• Zenicetus says:

Yep, Syndicate does have actual assassination missions where you have options and need to choose a plan.

You can either just wing it, or choose one of three alternative paths that are hinted and pre-identified for you, like pickpocketing a key that opens all doors, or a special murder opportunity that usually ends in a small cut scene assassination that you don’t control directly, but it’s still fun to watch.

The best part of all that in Syndicate is that it does feel like a stealth kill. You’re not immediately thrown into a melee combat situation with dozens of guards, and you have to quietly exit the area after the assassination. It’s not perfect, but it’s a big step forward from the old way of busting your way in and killing everyone, followed by chasing the target through the city streets.

• welverin says:

Isn’t that how the first game worked? It’s been so long, and so many games, that I forget.

While AC2 improved or fixed pretty much everything over AC, I still liked the actual assassination mission structure of the first game (according to my recollections of the long, long ago).

• hyzhenhok says:

Yes. AC1 main story assassinations would generally just throw you into a scenario and let you kill the target however you wished using the tools and environment available.

It had two problems. First, simply not enough story assassination missions. I think there were…9? 3 for each of the 3 cities? The rest of the game was filler. And not all of those 9 assassinations missions were good.

Second, simply going in loud and killing everyone was always an option, and it became your only option as soon as you failed your stealth approach (and stealth was hard in AC1!). Personally I would reload and re-attempt missions until I succeeded without doing it loud, but I doubt most players are of the same habit. Good assassination missions should not only allow for planning and different approaches, but also encourage the player to explore those. Giving the player a dominant strategy of just running in and killing the target undermines the design.

(Despite these criticisms, I’d still say the assassination missions in AC1 were generally very good. That game’s biggest problem was outside of the assassinations, you had a ton of garbage filler content.)

• Geebs says:

On reflection, what I would really like is a game set in the Assassin’s Creed universe in which you play as one of those random future schlubs playing a videogame. Because the Assassin’s Creed parallel dimension is absolutely rife with people dressing like utter tosspots, jumping off roofs and murdering law-abiding rooftop security consultants for no reason, actually making a game out of Assassin’s Creed would be seen as being in terribly poor taste.

The practical and entirely welcome upshot of all this would be that the much, much better game-within-the-game you would be playing would be another Prince of Persia.

• welverin says:

We really do need another Prince of Persia game.

• Thurgret says:

Unless I’m misunderstanding, you just described Unity and Syndicate.

2. Schledorn says:

I don’t miss the modern day fluff. I got angry every time I had to focus on the present story. I didn’t care about it nearly as much as I cared about the historical setting. I hope that stays gone.

Arkham-style combat would be fun. I’d really like more of an open-world feel. Their side quests are mostly focused on collecting. Also, I’d love more interaction with the world. People don’t even care when I kill someone in the middle of the street. I’d like to actually plan assassins a la Hitman (maybe a bit less involved) instead of quickly stabbing someone and run away.

And, of course, fix the sticky running. It’s better in Syndicate but still not perfect.

3. Cyroch says:

First off, get rid off the annoying and immersion killing modern day plot and everything that comes with it. The last AC I played and enjoyed was Black flag but whenever I started to become immersed in the fantasy I was pulled out and it was blatantly clear that I’m not only playing a game but playing a guy who plays a game.

Gameplaywise I’m not so sure… A less on rails parcour/climbing system would be nice. One that requires more skill that holding down a trigger. Combat has to get rid of the all powerful counter button. Maybe even go down a stealth route with combat as a last resort.

Lastly, make an assasination actually difficult. Don’t just highlight the target. Give me maybe a description or drawing of the target and let me identify him myself. If I kill the wrong guy let there be consequences.

Overall I would say a little bit of hitman, a little bit of dishonored could do the trick for me

basilisk says:

In Syndicate, the modern plot is reduced to maybe four short cutscenes, and that’s it. And it seems that after four games of not really going anywhere with it, they are starting to set up a new story arc, though that may be wishful thinking on my part. I don’t think it has to be removed, because I enjoy it for what it is, but it’s true that it did little to justify its existence after the end of the Desmond arc.

And the combat has been significantly changed in Unity, and Syndicate pushed it even closer to the Arkham style. It’s not great, but it’s a lot better than it used to be. I would agree that it should be less frequent and more challenging, though.

• Zenicetus says:

I liked how they handled that in Syndicate. I would have preferred no modern day BS at all, but those cut scenes were very short and could just be ignored.

There is no reference to the modern Animus stuff in the Jack the Ripper DLC either. At least so far, I haven’t finished it.

4. GWOP says:

… now we’re all back at work and loitering around water coolers with idle hands and malevolent intent…

That’s such a delightful phrase.

5. Penguin_Factory says:

Ditch the big open world and make it like Dishonored– ie, large but enclosed levels offering a variety of ways to complete objectives. I’ve never understood why this series needed to be open world, and I’ve always felt that it suffered because of it, with stealth and assassination mechanics awkwardly shoved into a scale that doesn’t fit that type of gameplay. Either make a big open world GTA-style game set in History Times, or make a stealth game about assassins, but don’t try to make both at the same time.

…and now for some actual suggestions because obviously that’s not going to happen:

— Decide whether the over-arching meta plot is actually important. If it is, have it actually go somewhere. If it isn’t, ditch it.

— Completely overhaul the parkour mechanics. No more of this business where you just hold down a shoulder button, run in a direction, and hope your character does what you intended. Every action should be under my control.

— The combat needs to move away from the current parry-focused style. I know recent games have taken large steps toward, this but it’s not enough. If I’m supposed to be an assassin, why am I even sword-fighting large groups of enemies to begin with?

• mukuste says:

I have a feeling that the open world recreations of historical cities are the main draw with these games for many people. I, at least, have always considered them virtual tourism since that’s the aspect that I usually got the most enjoyment out of in AC games (not that I’ve played anything newer than Brotherhood).

• melnificent says:

Same here, I play enough to unlock the entire map without restriction then sort of end up just touring the digital approximations of Paris, London, etc.

Ubisoft could quite easily remove the game-y stuff and sell the virtual worlds they have created as historical approximations for VR. They’d be the ultimate walking simulators… and I’d buy them all :D

• Chiron says:

Yes virtual tourism would be amazing, I’d buy it.

The worlds always felt a bit flat really, needs more little details and more variety of NPC’s and jobs in the background (I’ve only played

• vlonk says:

Yes virtual tourism is important! Go artsy, go deep, aim for the Paradox lvl of depth here. Hire real historians and recreate historic events, let me sit down in a cafe and LISTEN to the philosophers of the time, have an act of a historic play in an amphitheater, recreate parts of an opera or symphony. Those things exist already just, ya know, tap into real world artists, artisans and musicians. Most of this stuff is free of copyrights too!

Half your userbase actually aged, don’t pitch for the eternal 14 year olds, go for the 30’s, go for ME Ubi, I exist and I actually would love to have a fusion of all these things and I have all that delicious money now.

The see shanties in Black Flag were such a strong idea. Build on that.

6. Xocrates says:

First of all, I would skip more than a year. The annualized sequels created too much baggage that they cannot get rid of without significant backlash unless they take the time to reset expectations and do a fresh start.

Afterwards: Remove the bloat, focus and improve on the core systems (movement and combat) even if they have to redesign them from the ground up.

I see a lot of comments asking for more complex assassinations, but honestly I have to disagree. That ship has sailed long ago and it’s simply not what the series is – or ever has been – about. This is something that could be feasible for the second or third entry, not the… err… (checks wikipedia).. tenth not counting spinoffs.

• Jimbo says:

Have you played Syndicate? Genuine question.

• Xocrates says:

I have not, admittedly.

The only ones I’ve actually played were the original and 4, and was actually surprised by how similar they were. I sort of assumed there had not been any major changed since then.

(also, it took me way too long to realize which Syndicate you meant)

basilisk says:

This rumour is basically the exact thing I was hoping for, and precisely what I’d suggest if it was my call to make. A remote historical period that gives the writers more wiggling room in setting up their plot. More openness with more varied landscapes – London is cool, but one neighbourhood looks much like another. Taking a year off (and ideally changing to a biannual schedule) to get more time to rethink the basics and add tons more polish.

The series has been steadily progressing towards becoming an actual stealth game with actual assassinations, and I hope that this direction will continue. That’s pretty much all I want.

• 88GJS88 says:

Yep, the closer to modern times you get, the more guns you get, the less you can rely on sword/knife fighting. Surely all they’ve been building towards is a full game set in the modern world – and you won’t be able to survive being seen by rifle-armed guards in that context.

• zarnywoop says:

Oh no… I see a AssCreed – SplinterCell cross-over episode. One thing is for sure, it will feature climbing towers to unlock things.

8. Unsheep says:

People are really tired of the third-person gameplay, so Ubi should do something completely different, perhaps have a first-person perspective. They could look at Dishonored or the early Thief games for inspiration.

If they keep the third-person gameplay they should get rid of all the stealth and platforming.

The combat should either challenging and technical a là Dark Souls, or pure action a là Platinum games.

Place the games somewhere exotic, like Africa and Asia. Give us something unique to look at, things we haven’t really seen in other games.

Personally though, I would rather see them make new IPs. Even if they are not 100% perfect its better than the ‘same old’.

I still enjoyed Watchdogs more than what I played of the last 6 (!!!) Assassin’s Creed games.

9. Paladin says:

Paladin Asks: Why Revamp Assassin’s Creed?

If I was declared Ubisoft’s Big Assassin Bossman, I’d look at the series narrative thread, see it died out a while ago, question what the core gameplay of my license is supposed to be about (assassinations), scrap everything including the name and be free to game a proper melee assassination game without the weight of the license’s conventions.

• mukuste says:

And that’s why you’re not some bigshot at Ubisoft, you’re not thinking in focus groups.

10. minijedimaster says:

I would put Ubisoft out of business and sell the IP off to a developer that actually cares about making good games. FIXED

11. FroshKiller says:

Invert the core gameplay. You’re a Templar or Assassin or whoever, and you’re the one being hunted. You have to fend off several potential assassins, each with their own strategies and abilities, while trying to accomplish your own goals. Can you drive out a rival gang and secure the resources your research team needs to find that Piece of Eden before you get cut down? Will you hide your involvement in the conspiracy and set up your colleagues as decoys, or will you take the fight to your would-be killers?

• Tacroy says:

Ooooh you could even do it like Evil Genius, where you build a base with traps and troops and patrol routes.

12. Arkayjiya says:

It’s funny cause I was having this exact discussion elsewhere. I see other people quoting Dishonored for different reasons, I have this feeling too. Dishonored is my favourite Assassin’s Creed game since AC1.

I don’t know what they’re going to do with AC, but what I would want for them:
    In the first one, the plot was minimalist (I’m not talking about the modern day stuff, just get rid of that entirely), it was in service of the overall experience which was the gameplay.
    No long ass tutorial, no interminable cutscenes, no linear questing you have to do before getting to the assassinations. Just give me a sandbox, sides objectives that are tied to the main one which would gives you more options and informations, and let me do my thing.

Ok up to now, what I’ve said is basically AC1 (of course it would be improved in every way) but what if you seriously got rid of the story completely? A real evolution could be procedural generation of the world and the assassinations. Make it an infinite AC game, if the mechanics and the procedural engine are strong enough, it will be awesome.

13. Jimbo says:

I’m not sure AC deserves quite as much flak as it tends to get. Black Flag was a significantly different, ambitious and well executed departure from its predecessors(especially compared to other franchises of a similar stature). Syndicate addressed several core issues which have needed addressing for a while and was a good game in its own right (and the city is probably the best yet).

There have been misses along the way of course (as with all long running franchises), but I think its hit:miss ratio is better than its given credit for.

A lot of criticism seems to stem from the fact that its just not the genre of game they want it to be, despite the fact its never really pretended to be anything other than the hollywood-style parkour-with-stabbing fantasy that it is now. It’s not like it started out as some complex assassination sim and got watered down; it’s always been this. Expecting them to switch from this very popular genre the franchise pretty much created towards a very not popular niche genre seems a little unreasonable.

I do think they should have been alternating between City Game / Pirate Game by now (the latter being AC branded or not, whatever) to help avoid market fatigue.

Roman Empire trilogy sounds like a great setting for the city games to me. I think if the series ever goes modern day / future / ridiculous precursor era for a full game the franchise is dead.

Ninja Dodo says:

Keep:

– open world historical tourism
    – sailing, if appropriate for the setting

Lose:

– world-wide conspiracies
    – magical apples
    – alien civilizations
    – collecting meaningless trinkets
    – the Forrest Gumpyness (of playing a pivotal part in every major event)

Try:

– more emergent, dynamic missions
    – more precise (but still intuitive) controls
    – focusing more on the stories of individual people

LOVE the idea of ancient Egypt. Ancient Rome or Athens would also be amazing, or sailing the Mediterranean…

Ninja Dodo says:

Though if it were me, I would probably just make a historical RPG or a detective game instead of another Assassins.

• h_ashman says:

I could not agree more about the Gumpyness, AC III drove me bonkers with that.

Also maybe tone down the “look kids, it’s famous historical figure/writer/inventor so-and-so” vibe when introducing real world characters that’s crept in since AC III. Where it’s relevant to the plot/sidequest framing device mention it, but otherwise just bung it in their database entry and let people read it if they want. Black Flag handled it OK with some of the lesser known pirates (e.g. Stede Bonnet, Calico Jack) but the way Dickens was introduced in Syndicate (in a cutscene the twins just bump into him on the street within 5 minutes of getting to London and someone pointed him out as “famous author Charles Dickens”) summed it up for me.

15. Laurentius says:

Make the mechanics really matter or simply just don’t and let the player decide. This half-assed, list checking is horrible design. Like if you insert naval combat in open world with all the trapings, it can’t be this vapid, where after sinking 5th galleon, you realize that it’s just pixels that will spawn over and over again. Even climbing is vapid. In Dishonored, it was actually pleasant to blink all over, checking where you can go, what are level limitations and so forth. In AC, you can climb everywhere, so whereever you aet your foot there will be eagal vision point or some other trophy. Even AC2 or Brotherhood tomb sections felt refreshing because you were just playing little confined puzzle game that actually matter for this 10 or 15 minutes or so it took you to get to the treasure.
    Also story is terrible, it was in the first game, like a bad copycat of Dan Brown but with yearly itterations it went into worst story in video games.

16. Trashcanman says:

Dunno if this is balony or real but a supposed screenshot has surfaced. It does remind me that we haven’t seen a good Conan singleplayer game in ages…

link to images.hngn.com

17. chudbabies says:

The reason ASSASSIN’S CREED games are so dreadful is that despite the purported “open world” environment and the “freedom to complete objectives howsoever the player feels” is that each objective may only be completed by murder.

In a simulated universe meant to immerse players in a realistic world players are presented with an image of absolute black in the manner of completing their “mission objectives”. You have only one option for completing the game, to take on the role of a Templar whose duty it is to ASSASSINATE certain targets. The player is put in this role and allowed to move freely about this world, stabbing and chopping as they please. Yet, if a sense of simulated realism were to be enforced, as the terribly accurate-to-life graphics depict a world much closer to our own (rather than a cartoon world where violence is easily shaken off and characters bounce back to their feet before or after the credits) we, the players MUST also consider the ramifications of our task– we are committing cold-blooded murder at another’s order. This is akin to being a good soldier and simply setting our sights upon the encroaching enemy and letting loose a volley of musket balls into Confederate neighbors who were just weeks ago a decudely part of our charming United States. There is no THOUGHT given to the ramifications of our, the players, optionless completion of mission objectives through only one means– MURDER!

As the game series progressed to an open-world narrative, the game’s means of completion failed to evolve along with the series potential to present a REALISTIC simulated universe. The player is rarely given the privilege to look back and consider the ramifications of their acts of MURDER upon these poor grunts. As the series progressed from the warlike middle ages to the increasingly civilised Victorian ages, the narrative has increasingly been filled with but characters (in relation to our own character’s story, anyway) who do not abide a “kill or be killed”-soldier mentality. The simulated universe Ubisoft has created is crunched full of direct contrasts to our own world, yet the thought which these games enforce upon their players is one of absolute violence. The player appears to exist in a morally grey world, yet their actions are of an entirely black sort. This is not the competitive fun of Unreal Tounament, Team Fortress 2, or any number of violent FPS games, no, the ASSASSIN’S CREED is a real life murder simulator more akin to HATRED than GRAND THEFT AUTO.

Lately, I’ve been splitting my time between THE WITCHER 3 and JET FORCE GEMINI.
    Now, THE WITCHER 3 presents an open-source universe simulation in which the player is presented with options both black and white to morally grey dilemmas. Sometimes the player makes an incorrect CHOICE over the course of the game, but that is a CHOICE left to the player’s discretion. The visual narrative of THE WITCHER 3 is more akin to the reality of…”this world”…than it is to a cartoon of black-and-white moralities. In this visually realistic world of moral grey the player is presented with CHOICE in order to complete game objectives.
    JET FORCE GEMINI is a game in which murder is the only option for completion of game objectives, however, this is not a world simulation which appeals to realistic sensibilities. Enemies are distinctly slavers and villainous scrum, and they attack you on sight, mercilessly. The player is given the ability to SAVE and PRESERVE a visually distinct race of pacifistic “Tribals” over the course of the game, and although accidents may befall these characters due to intended aspects of game-play, the intent is clear that this is a black-and-white universe wherein the player may rest easy knowing that all difficult decisions of moral ambiguity have been sorted out for them by the game designers. In this visually cartoonish world the player is not given CHOICE in order to complete game objectives but the simulated world we think of as “more real” while playing is one of visually distinct moral black-and-white.

So, what needs to change with ASSASSIN’S CREED? The player needs to be given CHOICE if the game designers wish to continue to persue a visually realistic simulated world. Two of this year’s best “visually realistic” “world simulators”, THE WITCHER 3 and METAL GEAR SOLID V require the player to ACTIVELY CONSIDER THE RAMIFICATIONS OF THEIR CHOICES over the course of the game’s narrative. Like as when the FABLE game series gave players the choice between a “good” or “bad” game path, like as when the player may forgo the CHOICE of MURDER in METAL GEAR SOLID V and CHOOSE, instead, to incapacitate a soldier and “make them your friend” (by means of harmless brain-washing, but, still). Numerous times over the course of the narrative of THE WITCHER 3 is the player given the CHOICE whether or not to harm those monsters who showed a strength of character to exhibit rational thought (which left me bereft of quite a few troll livers I’ll tell you wot). The player is put on a single track of game completion over the course of the ASSASSIN’S CREED series, and while the game designers litter their open world with secondary objectives, these have no bearing upon the role of narrative or moral turpitude on the player’s CHOICE, or lack thereof.

The ASSASSIN’S CREED series was inspired by one guy’s adoration of Islamic soldiers of the Middle Ages. Islam from this time had a central, core tenet which allowed it to spread beyond the boundaries of the Middle East– these Islamic clerics would march around, door to door and announce to each person inside, “I’ve got a great book for you to read. Here, my gift.”
    “Oh, that is most appreciated fine sir, but I have no use for Islam in my life. I believe in ________.”
    “Listen, PAL. You see this flag? You see that curved saber on this flag? Well, you either accept this curved saber symbolically and adopt Islam, or you accept this curved saber literally and have dismemberment forced upon you.”
    This is the origin of the ASSASSIN’S CREED series!! These are the tenets upon which the game is designed! There is no choice! At least in HITMAN the objective is to kill gangsters and “bad guys”– in ASSASSIN’S CREED we are supposed to believe this is a morally grey world in which only the grievously sinful step in our righteous path of slaughter!

CHOICE! I don’t want to have to kill these blasted red coats in ASSASSIN’S CREED IV, I SI ply want to put them to sleep.

• arienette says:

You sound delightfully mad.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

For some reason i managed to read the whole thing.

I think i’ll second the guy above.

• X_kot says:

I like your argument about the level of carnage portrayed in the AC games, but your assessment of Islam is…questionable. Traditionally, Christians and Jews living in Muslim caliphates were afforded protection and rights as “people of the book.” They were not forcibly converted, although they had to pay a jizya tax (similar to the zakat paid by Muslims). Besides, where do any of the AC protagonists state any religious motivation for their actions? The whole point of the series is that the conflict between the Assassins and Templars transcends such things.

• chudbabies says:

Thank you for mentioning this, you just reminded me.

So, the creator of the ASSASSIN’S CREED series was inspired by medieval Islam (as I will contend without being able to find the source from which I first heard this. I think it was one of those, “So You Think You Know Gaming” videos) the Templars are themselves based on the Sicarii an extremist Jewish splinter group known for anonymously stabbing high ranking Romans and then slipping away in the ensuing crowd. MORE INTERESTINGLY, is that the Sicarii is also a clan name and this name was changed slightly to be, Iscariot, or, more infamously, the last name of one Judas Iscariot.

That being, the entire series is dripping with religious overtones. None of which are really explored, as the dumb as nails plotline opts not for anything as obscene as NEON GENESIS EVANGELION bastardization of western Christianity (which I found so interesting, considering it was merely a superficial veneer to appeal to Japanese audience’s appreciation of alien cultures), but this MURDER SIMULATOR (your character is unable to interact with this photorealistic world in any other fashion beyond MURDER!! So frustrating!!! This is not what I wish to think about while I play games) tackles a broadest audience possible approach and gives us a simple world wherein the murder of visually similar non-player avatars is done so casually as to never be given a second thought.

So, the creator of ASSASSIN’S CREED, inspired by medieval Islam soldiers, adapts the Sicarii means of execution to create a photorealistic simulation wherein the player character is supposed to believe they have actually travelled in time through their ancestors DNA, not to plumb the secrets of the past or uncover interesting historical events but to assassinate important high-ranking religious officials.

A photorealistic, fourth-wall breaking, time-travelling assassination simulator between two grievously angry religious schools, one of them whose core tenets are violence, the other a splinter group of assassin’s whose most infamous clan member was responsible for somehow betraying Jesus Christ. Yeah, there are religious undertones, but it’s not terribly profitable for Ubisoft to advertise these sorts of things.

Why can’t we have nice things, like a Katamari Zen Garden, or Benedictine Monk bee keeping Sims.

• Pieclone says:

A lot of what you’ve written there is historically inaccurate and would get you cudgelled by the folks on r/AskHistorians. I hope that nobody reading that piffle believes any of it orwgoes away thinking that is in any way factual. I hope you’ll take this as an opportunity to actually look stuff up rather than repeat guff wot you read on the internet in some half-fugue state.

Go have a search on there (the best place on Reddit) and get informed. You owe it to yourself to get edumacated :)

• chudbabies says:

R-r-r-r-r-right…you’re very polite for an algorithm troll.

• Pieclone says:

Sorry for being impolite, I’m just not a fan of seeing factually inaccurate stuff being passed around. Genuine apologies for coming across as a cock and as the Internet Historical Fact Police but seriously, if you get the chance, please do check some of the statements you’ve made as you’ll find several of them have been challenged and discarded in the theatre of historical debate. The reality is often times just as interesting and awesome. I’ll wind my neck back in now :)

• Harvey says:

I fear your entreaty will be ignored. If I know one thing about the internet, it’s that people who use caps lock in that manner cannot be swayed. Props to you for trying though, and I agree. /r/askhistorians is a great subreddit

18. Darth Gangrel says:

“The game is going for a Witcher feel” Uhh, AC and The Witcher are as far from each other as anything, is my immediate reaction. I haven’t played any AC games and love the Witcher games and books, but it’s clear that they have many differences.

I believed it was RPS themselves who said that The Witcher 3 has lots of icons, lots of stuff to explore and do, but without it feeling like a shopping list, like a chore. The Witcher games don’t require any DRM to play and have a great modding community (does AC games have any mods?).

There are so many things I dislike about the Ubisoft formula and so many things I enjoy about the Witcher that I guess it’s good that the latter influences the former, but it probably won’t be anywhere near as good as The Witcher.

19. Chiron says:

A free roam, non-story bit. Like the intro to Watch Dogs where you’re just walking around and solving crimes, robbing shit and solving problems. All the city open to you with plenty to do aside from go to X and kill X to get a crap cut scene, awful plot part.

Also fuck the modern day aspects.

And modding, dear sweet lord give me modding

Ninja Dodo says:

Modding will never happen (unless they end the franchise) because new cities are kind of their whole business model.

• Darth Gangrel says:

In my comment, just above yours, I specifically asked if there was any kind of modding support in the AC games and it was as I suspected…

The more I hear about AC, not having played any game, the more I feel like I’m not missing out.

• Chiron says:

I stopped at number 2, on the surface they are really my sort of game… in reality. No.

The pseudo sci-fi is awful and the characters need a kick around the head. Also the controls were still written as if they were for Console rather than PC – Press A to continue sort of thing and the camera work was exceptionally dodgy – swiveling around halfway through a jump and throwing you off

• Hedgeclipper says:

The AC games get a lot of stick mostly, as someone wrote a bit further up, from people who want them to be something they’re not. If you’re after an action-y romp through pseudo-historical cities you can climb all over with the occasional brawl you could do a lot worse. For the most part the games have solid production values (outside Unity I don’t recall hearing of any major problems) the gameplay is undemanding and that’s about it. I buy them on deep discount and wouldn’t consider paying more but I haven’t regretted playing them.

20. 2late2die says:

I think the recent AC games haven’t been as bad as people make them out to be (barring the actual performance issues on PCs) – it’s just exhausting setting in. So taking a year’s break will help, but I would argue it should be more, give it a rest for a couple of years. I would also say that in the future, if the brass insists on regular entries at least keep them couple of years apart (i.e. release every other year). Anyway, now for the actual game suggestions…

I like the whole DNA-based-VR in the modern day twist thing, I don’t think it should become simply “historical hitman” game, with that said, the writing just plain sucked in the last few games. Ditch the whole “playing a guy who’s playing a VR game in the present” – it shouldn’t be a game, it should be a character exploring his ancestral past. I think the first game really did it best – the shifts back to the present were infrequent and moved things forward (instead of just walking around and collecting stuff around some office). In short, keep that idea but write a good plot for it with some interesting characters. It’s a unique aspect of AC games, it just needs better implementation.

Enough with the collecting already. The first couple of games had an okay ratio of that, but after that they just went crazy with that. I understand wanting to populate the open world with stuff to do, but there is such a thing as overabundance, and in the recent AC games it’s gotten to the point where it’s impossible to throw a cat without hitting another “collectible”. Look to Witcher 3 to see how to do it right.

Forget about making it “accessible” – people actually appreciate a good challenge. I’m not saying make obtuse, and level of difficulty on par with say Dark Souls or something would be too much, but don’t shy away from creating combat and stealth mechanics with a bit of learning curve and some depth. I like the fact that our character can fight a bit – I don’t need another Thief – but don’t make him a killing machine by making combat so damn easy. As far as combat goes I think something like the batman games are a good start, but do make sure to put your own spin on it because those are also getting old. Unlike those games though this character shouldn’t be able to handle 10 or 20 enemies at ones. A good balance I would say should be that, if they’re prepare they can comfortably handle 2 at a time, with 3 offering a significant challenge that would require skill and some luck to survive. For stealth mechanics look to games from the splinter cell series, with some thief thrown in. The overall idea is that stealth should be the primary and the preferred approach, but being discovered shouldn’t mean failure. On the other hand don’t make the mistake of the last thief game where if enemies lost sight of you for more than 30 seconds they would go back to routine like nothing happened. Oh heck, look at phantom pain to see how to do routines, patrols and AI response right.

Keep the open world, but focus on quality (and density) over quantity and scope. I rather have smaller, but more interesting playground, rather than a huge but boring one. Of course don’t overdo that either. I still want to feel like I’m in a large city, rather than 3 or 4 blocks of it.

Finally, only put in RPG-like and loot/item systems if they really going to matter. Don’t give me 20 swords with almost the same stats and just different looks – give me 5 swords that correspond to different play styles – say a more defensive slow approach, or a more nimble, quick style with lighter attacks, or a character that emphasizes combat over stealth, that kinda stuff. Same goes for any character traits, skills, what-have-you.

• welverin says:

Syndicate’s combat is pretty much Arkham combat.

You have your attack button, counter button, stun button, quick weapon attacks, and finishers (though these are automatic once you get an enemy to near death).

21. jonahcutter says:

Focus on assassinations. Stealth is a necessity. Combat scales up in difficulty with more the enemies you face, eventually requiring you to utilize the parkour skills to escape. Crowds of enemies use that advantage against you instead of politely letting you defeat them one-by-one.

You don’t wear a hood and heavy coat when no one else is.

basilisk says:

All four of those are present in Unity and Syndicate. (To some extent, anyway.)

It’s funny how every new AC is always decried as the prime example of a lazy sequel, but it’s very obvious from reading this comment section that people simply base their opinions on the older games, not knowing how much has changed in the meantime. Because there probably isn’t a single gameplay mechanic that hasn’t been overhauled at least once throughout the series.

basilisk says:

(That should have been a reply to jonahcutter’s post just above. Sorry.)

23. AlwaysRight says:

Ninja Simulator.

24. Chem says:

Just say screw AC and make a straight up pirate game where you are just a pirate and not some boring shmuck in a machine involving a horrible meta plot. Then elaborate on the pirating letting you set up a proper crew and ports while you go around pirating scallywags and bucking swashes.

• dongsweep says:

The pirate portion of AC BF was my favorite part of any of the AC games yet, I would wholeheartedly support a more focused pirate game! Maybe give us crew mechanics, better combat/damage models, more problems to solve at sea.

25. Epicedion says:

Here’s what I would do:

First, move the setting forward to modern times, or better yet to the near future, during a war between the United States and a fictional nation that’s both vaguely Middle Eastern and Russian at the same time. Gryzbstan or something.

Second, have the main character be an elite soldier who loses his squad in a dirty surprise attack. Barely surviving, he teams up with a very attractive foreign woman. Let’s say she’s Iranian, for maximum unlikeliness. When she’s introduced she’s in distress, and the hero jumps in to save her, but it turns out she was using the enemies’ assumptions about her woman-ness against them, and handily puts them down.

Third, these two stumble upon an old Assassin who over the course of seventeen minutes teaches them all they need to know about Assassining, and then dies from another surprise attack by the enemy. The hero and the girl are split up, with the hero being convinced that she’s dead.

Fourth, the hero goes around assassinating Gyrborzian captains at their command bunkers, winning the hearts and minds of the oppressed peoples around them, but only out to a few blocks or so.

Fifth, the hero learns about the Grybrazite Generalissimo religious dictator visiting the main city, and hatches a plot to get revenge for his dead woman sidekick love interest and overthrow the whole country. He’s got to assassinate the general’s five trusted advisors. The first two go pretty well, but the third one throws him off a building and he breaks his back. Just when the final blow is about to come, a shadowy figure leaps in and kills the advisor, saving our hero. It’s the sexy foreign lady, come to save the day! The hero gurgles a thanks, and she tells him to get the hell up, because there’s work to do.

The next two advisors go down, and the dictator guy declares total martial law and schedules a big speech in public for some reason or another. The hero and his now girlfriend plot to kill the bad guy at the big event. They leap in, fight all of the loyal soldiers, and then corner the bad guy. He’s wired the event with a nuclear bomb and goes for the button! But the population, who love the hero for saving them and hanging American flags everywhere, rise up and mob the bad guy! Then the US army shows up and starts handing out freedom, and no one gets convicted of any war crimes.

The End

26. muptup says:

Fix the things that have been wrong with the series for game after game.

1) When running away make my motion fluid, let me bound out of crowds, jump over scenery, don’t make me stop on the spot because I caught my shoulder on a piller, or have me climb a building I had no intention of doing so.

Basically make me feel in actual control of the character. Movement and navigation is the most fun part of the game in Just Cause 3 and Batman, it takes some skill to get around quickly and smoothly so rethink the parkour to make that part of the fun.

2) Next fix stealth, allow me to sneak by offering, shadows, or cover, or something. It’s never clear when I am going to be caught or not. I just creep about in the hope I don’t get spotted until I end up reloading and trying again.

The Witcher 3 isn’t the best example because the “game” part of it, combat etc.. was pretty average, what made it so fantastic for me were other things. The brilliant writing and story extended through every detail and especially the sidequests. AC’s map feels like a list because of the repetitive nature of the sidequests. The Witcher 3 avoided that by making each encounter unique.

• welverin says:

In regards to point two, while it’s cheaty Syndicate has a ring around your character that indicates the direction of enemies and changes color as they become aware of you. So, you do have an indication of how stealthy you’re being.

• muptup says:

I’ve only just started playing Syndicate (Unity was the first in the series skipped) but I still struggle with Stealth. I’m not sure how I’d change it but I don’t like the mechanic of artificially seeing all the enemies through walls and waiting for them to move away. Perhaps something that used movement or worked more like a puzzle than open-world for the stealth sections.

27. hungrycookpot says:

I think I would like it to feel a little more realistic. Give me options regarding what cloths I can wear, which actually do something. Disguises so that I can walk straight into the building to look for my target, having to plan an escape route instead of just being able to fight through 300 enemies in sequence. Having the option for poisons and accidents that aren’t shot from a wrist mounted launcher causing the target to violently flail about. A bit more hitman and a bit less batman.

28. dongsweep says:

Edo period Japan with forts and all the warring factions. Ability to infiltrate forts and assassinate key characters to shift the warring states and make those assassinations more like Hitman and less like jump jump hop down and kill yellow target with one button.

Also would love to see some bushido love in there, maybe with more of a dark souls control scheme than a rocksteady control scheme (just never been a fan of jam A for cool moves).

• dongsweep says:

Oh and please no ‘angry man’ insufferable main characters to play. I couldn’t enjoy AC3’s story at all because I felt like I was playing an angry child.

29. Zenicetus says:

I didn’t play Unity but did pick up Syndicate recently, and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. They’ve tightened up the formula with better stealth, better assassination missions, and reducing the modern-day BS to a bare minimum. Tutorials on new gear and skills are much better integrated into the main story and missions. It felt like they’re finally getting a feel for what people like in these games like and what they don’t like, instead of just making something weird and throwing it out there.

Here’s what I’d like to see improved in the next one:

— Get rid of the modern-day Animus framework entirely. Syndicate proved that it can be shuffled off to the background so much that it might as well not be there.

— Get rid of the silly Assassin/Templar/Precursor plot arc. Keep an Assassin’s Guild as an organization that survives through history so there is a framework for the stories, but give them a new enemy organization or main bad guy to fight in each new game. Mix it up.

— Balance missions between pure assassinations and more detective-oriented quests where murder isn’t the end goal, but you find something to advance the plot. Or just get some good loot, whatever. The Jack the Ripper DLC for Syndicate toyed with showing Sherlock TV series-style floating text when you find clues, which was interesting. That shouldn’t be overdone, but I liked having at least a few detective bits like that in the game.

— Get rid of insta-fail missions with arbitrary rules. They’re *almost* gone from Syndicate, but there were still a few involving kidnapping, where you have to go nuts figuring out the ONE sequence of movements you’re supposed to make through the scripted movements of enemy guards or policemen, and anything else will fail. It feels like I’m fighting the level designer, not the bad guys in the game.

— Get rid of street chases whether it’s on foot, in a horse-drawn carriage, or an Egyptian chariot. It just doesn’t fit an Assassin motif where you’re supposed to be undercover and low profile. This isn’t Grand Theft Auto. It looks silly and unrealistic, like the indestructible horses in Syndicate.

— Stick to the ancient world. There is so much that hasn’t been touched yet, like Ancient Egypt, Classical Greece and Rome, China Three Kingdoms, Medieval Japan. I think we’re all getting a little tired of more contemporary European settings.

• welverin says:

Indestructible horses? I always shoot the horses in the chases, because it’s faster that smashing the other carriage.

30. badmothergamer says:

Update the parkour system. I can’t play an AC game anymore after playing Dying Light. DL had such an amazing flow to movement, whereas AC is still so jerky and clumsy (I should note the latest AC game I’ve played is Black Flag so maybe Syndicate improved it). In DL I can run through the city, roads to rooftops, without ever breaking stride. With AC I have to come to a complete stop at the bottom of a tower just to line up and jump to the first climbing point.

Also, like 99% of people who have played AC, I want them to ditch the modern plot and pretend it never existed.

• Zenicetus says:

It’s better in Syndicate. There are very few vertical surfaces on buildings and other structures where you can’t just run straight at it and climb. Where you can’t, it tends to be obvious ahead of time with smooth surfaces and no obvious handholds. I don’t recall any areas where I had to spend much time puzzling out how to climb or where I could jump. It felt pretty good, even with keyboard and mouse control.

One big difference in Syndicate is that I bypassed a lot of the normal vertical parkour with the zip line/grapple hook gadget. Fire it and just zoom to the top of the nearest building. It makes air assassinations a bit overpowerd, because you can jump down for a quick kill, and as long as you’re near a vertical wall and see the “R” prompt on the screen, you can just reflexively fire the zip line and escape to the roof without even looking for an attachment point. It makes quick air-drop kills and quick evasion a little too easy.

Zooming across the rooftops for quick travel with the zipline also feels very Batman-esque. It’s fun, but I’m not sure the impossible steam-punky nature of the gadget would translate to something like an Ancient Egypt setting.

31. Epicedion says:

I would actually fix the game by semi-copying the Nemesis system from Shadow of Mordor. You’re trying to assassinate and interrogate your way through lieutenants to learn the strengths and weaknesses of the higher-ups, and every time you kill someone important you get one step closer but also leave a power vacuum. Amp up the chaos by having the lieutenants scrap with each other while you slip in and out, murdering key figures to turn things to your own favor.

32. Metalfish says:

Assassin’s Creed: Sunless Sea.

That’d get me interested in the franchise again.

33. trashbat says:

I want to play as a haystack please.

In Assassins Creed: PLACEHOLDER you can finally experience what it was like to live life as a haystack in the grand old era of PLACEHOLDER.

Choose whether PLACEHOLDER lives or dies respawns again shortly by optionally moving very slightly out of the way as s/he leaps from a tower!

Gradually feel the cumulative physical & emotional burden of being filled up with anonymous corpses!

Experience the lack of depth inherent to this gameplay idea as it quickly runs out of steam!

Assassins Creed: PLACEHOLDER available weekly from now until PLACEHOLDER.

34. draglikepull says:

The main thing they need to do is get back to its roots as a platformer. The best parts of AC1/2/Brotherhood were climbing landmarks and the platforming challenges like the ones in the churches that gave you pieces of an armor set. The game evolved out of Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, which was fantastic. Let the game be about the thing it does better than any other series (parkour platforming) and stop making it yet another macho murder-fest.

After they fix that, some smaller suggestions:

1. A fresh new setting. Some part of Edo Japan would be interesting. No more early-industrial European architecture.
    2. No insta-fail stealth missions. They are bad in every game ever.
    3. No mandatory big combats. Assassins are sneaky killers, not superhero soldiers.
    4. Streamline the game considerably. I don’t want 100 repetitive side-missions or a map covered in icons. I want well-designed assassination quests and a fun space to play them out in.

• pepperfez says:

This is really the thing I want: a big, expensive, historical-ish platformer.

35. ja09art says:

Improve the NPC AI. Syndicate was a prime example of how bad the AI is for bystanders. The beginning scene you break into the factory and the workers just stand around not bothered that you just fell from the sky and sabotaged all the machines. Maybe a more aware AI this will give the world a more living breathing feel, currently only “bad guys” (people you can kill) will react to you.

36. Hyena Grin says:

There are two games I’m kind of waiting for with Assassin’s Creed.

The first is a game set in modern times, with a lot of big internal spaces. It’d be tricky to have it not feel like GTA + Parkour, but given Watch_Dog exists, maybe that’s not a bad way to go.

The second is a game set in WW2. I’m sure there will be people who will moan about WW2 being an over-utilized backdrop for games. But holy cow, a game that spans Berlin’s mid-war, siege by the allies, and the succeeding occupation by the East and West, would just be plumb full of opportunities for interesting Assassin things and terrain to explore. There was already so much craziness going on during the second world war, it almost makes the Assassin lore look plausible alongside it.

37. ddaymace says:

Part of the problem is they made too many, watered down the brand. The structure of the games, where they pull you out of VR, is a mistake. Even the best of the Creed games, ACIV, pulls you out of the game at the most inopportune time, distracting from the real focus. It comes off as just a way to tie the brand together for marketing purposes rather than lend anything to the game itself.

If I were Ubi, I would finish the AC brand entirely and market a “spiritual successor” that increases climbing difficulty, removes the VR/matrix plotline, and upgrade the engine. The engine should allow for those massive cities to have indoor environments on every building. They also need to improve stealth and combat mechanics. The combat needs to be more difficult, strategic and exacting like dark souls or witcher. Stealth options should be more pronounced and take advantage of lighting and time of day.

I would stick with one likable protagonist similar to nathan drake, rather than changing all the time, making us not care. The AC story always seemed cookie cutter and sort of pretentious to me; make it about regular people and develop real characters.

38. tomimt says:

How about making it really a game about an assassing who isn’t totally incompetent at what he does? I mean none of the assassins have been very good at their jobs, as every low ranking enemy soldier can regognize them, so how about giving some skills to really blend in, you know, like discuises.

• Zenicetus says:

Syndicate doesn’t quite get there, but it’s close. There is a kidnapping feature that lets you walk through enemies with a hostage under your control, as long as you don’t get too close. It’s the key to solving certain missions and assassinations. There is also one mission where you ditch the assassin gear and put on formal clothes to blend in with a party.

I agree that a less scripted way of using disguises would be good. The red zone around “danger” areas where you’re immediately recognized as an Assassin seems too arbitrary and gamey, when you can just walk around freely everywhere else.

39. alms says:

Thank you, this ought to be one the most hilariously silly things I’ve read in a while:

If this isn’t masterfully trolling then I’m suffering from a massive amount of imagination.

it’ll be jolly colourful, and that you’ll have a pet eagle.

• alms says:

massive lack of imagination, that was supposed to say.

• Hyena Grin says:

If someone described Black Flag to you before it was announced, it would’ve sounded even more ridiculous.

‘In the new Assassin’s Creed, you’ll play a pirate sailing the Caribbean. You’ll have a ship that you can upgrade, and naval battles…’

Ubisoft is hardly a conservative developer when it comes to trying weird stuff in otherwise established titles. Adding additional character progression and a pet eagle is not even remotely close to the weirdest thing they’ve done with an AC game.

40. Reset says:

Keep the open world historical tourism (at least that’s the main draw of the game personally, why I keep playing these, and what sets it apart as a series from everything else out there)

Keep the modern day shenanigans. I guess I’m the one that kind of likes these and finds them amusing, sometimes? Or at least more amusing than the straight faced cranky seriousness of a lot of the recent historical stories. I’d rather have the game wink and nod to camera than try to tell a serious story about historical murder happy angrysad men. Yes, Assasins’s Creed’s metaplot is ridiculous. Own up to it. Lean into it. Have some fun with it. I actually like the game within a game setup of the series, because as a justification for why I can and can’t do things in an open world game it’s the least dissonant explanation I’ve seen for that yet, and it also plays into my next point-

Make the game about exploration and investigation. You build a big city, now give me a reason to see everywhere I can get and a reason to explore everywhere. Make the narrative of the game more directly about that investigation in the present day. Don’t make it about the fate of the world hanging in the balance like the Desmond arc, but make it important to the people doing it. I actually liked the puzzle stuff in 2 and Brotherhood and the Nostradamus puzzles in Unity. Build that more into gameplay. Make me think while I’m exploring.

Assassin’s Creed has never been a good combat game or a good stealth game. So stop worrying about those things so much. I 100% join the chorus of “Stop it with the insta-fail stealth missions”. Those are terrible. While they’re at it, take out the “sychronization bonus” objectives entirely. They lead to lazy encounter design and encourage one way to solve a problem, while the appeal of the series before them was finding multiple ways to go in and solve a problem.

Combat has not ever been great in the series, and they keep trying to fix it by making it more interesting and involved. Stop that. Make combat less important. Make it less complex. Make evading combat more important. This was a gripe I had with Unity – they actually made combat more difficult, so you’d want to avoid it, which was great, but they didn’t actually give more interesting ways to avoid it than the previous versions where combat was an easy out to any problem.

Go back to an era before ranged combat weapons. The more they show up in the games the harder it is for them to design interesting encounter puzzles.

And the big one – in addition to the exploration/investigation focus they need to go in with this objective – Assassin’s Creed is a run/chase game. Not a stealth game. Not a combat game. The series has always been at its most interesting on an adrenaline-pumping level when you’re using parkour to either chase down someone trying to get away from you or you’re running away from a group of pursuers. Focus on this above all. Making an interesting parkour environment where these run/chase encounters (on foot, always on foot) are the signature pieces of encounter design and also something that can come naturally from within gameplay itself.

41. Frank says:

I would assign the team to Beyond Good & Evil 2 and include the assassin’s cowl as headgear for Woof in preorders.

42. sdether says:

Forget Assassin’s Creed entirely. Black Flag had a wonderful Pirate game in it, yearning to be free. Take the Pirate mechanics from Black Flag, and with it create a spiritual successor to Sid Meier’s Pirates!

43. tonicer says:

No please not Witcher style combat … i know it’s an unpopular opinion but i really dislike the entire Witcher trilogy. (i played every part for a couple of hours at a friends place)

Black Flag without the modern day simulation stuff would be perfectly fine in my book and cut the mandatory stealth crap … you know … the “get spotted you loose instantly” bullcrap if i get spotted let me fight my way out.

And the most important part … First Person Perspective with Full Body Awareness … basically Mirrors Edge … with swords and pirates and cool boats and stuff.

• tonicer says:

Oh and the combat should be like Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

• Darth Gangrel says:

The Witcher 1 has the most fun combat I’ve encountered in an RPG, but combat isn’t the strong point of RPG’s and virtually no game has as fun melee combat Dark Messiah, so I both agree and disagree with you. More games should have combat like Dark Messiah, but I’m glad that The Witcher is able to influence the “gamers-just-want-AAA-stuff” Ubisoft leadership.

44. spudthedestroyer says:

Set it in the Lord of the Rings universe, add a boss mechanic and call it Shadow of Mordor.

45. keefybabe says:

The witcher contracts were a masterclass on how to handle small quests. The mechanic of each was pretty much the same but they all felt like different stories.

So if that’s what they mean by Witcher feel I’m down with it.

46. LennyLeonardo says:

Dunno if anyone has mentioned this, but the intelligence gathering before an Assassination in AC1 was a great idea. The implementation wasn’t great, but the notion of having to intelligently explore a huge city for clues as to the target’s whereabouts, movements, weaknesses etc. is really appealing, and it would make the city feel more alive. Also, having the core game be about gathering information rather than stabbing would make the rarer moments of stabbing and escaping from guards much more engaging. I guess a more immersive-sim-style approach is what I’m on about.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Also the climbing needs to be more engaging, as most people are saying. I like the ziplines and grappling hooks and rope-pulley lifts and stuff, but they would feel more satisfying and exciting if they acted as a counterpoint to a more involved and challenging climbing mechanic.

47. Turkey says:

Gut the whole thing and make it a ripoff of Hitman: Blood Money.

Grimsterise says:

Assassin’s Creed: Ankh Morpork

49. Pink Gregory says:

1 – Take the latest iteration

2 – Pick maybe three or four major gameplay tenets (assassination, fighting, platforming, assassin’s guild management)

3 – Focus on those, add nothing else.

Maybe have all of your fancy assassin tools available from the start, but a limited carry capacity (mainly to remove the economy, which has never been handled well).

Basically I’d happily hop back on the series if the collectathon aspect was completely removed, I feel like it gets in the way of the instrinsic pleasure of exploration, especially in a series like this is which the term ‘virtual tourism’ can be thrown around meaningfully – I remember my jaw absolutely dropping at Venice in ACII.

50. Universal Quitter says:

I’m still holding out hope that they’ll realize their true calling is action-oriented pirate games.

I could go the rest of my life without seeing another “Animus,” and the brotherhood/templar stuff is what tends to keep me from going back and finishing Rogue or Black Flag.

I’m not sure Ubi have figured this out, but AssCreed has always been a vehicle to explore some cool aspect of history, through the lens of a violent murdering psychopath. Everything else in the lore is like midicholrians getting in the way of all the fun.