Oculus Rift Pre-Orders Just A Day Away

“Happy new year!” reads the email, as if this were good news. As if were a happy thing that, mere days after the traumatic horror-spend of Christmas, I need to find a few hundred quid from somewhere to buy an Oculus Rift headset, pre-orders for which open tomorrow.

I say “need”, and while in some respects that’s melodrama and entitlement, there’s some truth to it. Both professionally – I kinda need to be able to write about this stuff – and emotionally. It’s been a bloody long wait for the VR dream to become real, and I’m incredibly impatient to know if it can be more than a delightful gimmick.

EVE: Valkyrie and cutesy platformer Lucky’s Tale will be the first fully new, full games with which to discover this, and copies of which will be included with Rift pre-orders. Elite Dangerous and its new Horizons DLC will also support the Rift out of the box, and I look forwards to seeing how that’s come on from the Oculus DK2 even if it won’t be a brand shiny new experience as such.

Pre-orders open at 8:00 am PT on January 6, which is 4pm UK time if my calculations are correct. No word on pricing, but personally I’m not expecting much change from £300, and perhaps not even from £400. Release date for the hardware is still listed as ‘Q1’, which could mean anything from tomorrow till the end of March.

Pre-ordering’s always a funny business, but even more so here. While we’ve had several years of Rift hardware doing the rounds and thus know both theory and practice is sound, the scale of the image quality and comfort improvements from the DK2 is still an unknown for most of us, and a bigger question mark still hangs over whether enough games will support the hardware to make it worthwhile. I’ll almost certainly get one because I really do need to be in the loop, but I guess I feel more nervous than excited about it right now.

News that the motion/touch controllers have been delayed until later in the year only make me more anxious. And then there’s the matter of when the HTC/Valve Vive will be released…

What about you lot? Who’s going to go for it?

Here are Lucky’s Tale and Valkyrie trailers, in case you’ve not seen ’em:

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Cinek says:

Of course I will. Why is that even a question? It’s pretty much the most awaited hardware of 2016.

• Ethaor says:

According to people I know that are part of the VR hardware development front, it will still be the “most awaited hardware” in 2017, probably 2018.

The concept is sound and the experience game changing, but the resolution just isn’t there yet (unless Vive’s announced breakthrough happen to be related to resolution). That said, by the time the resolution is good enough, GPU and CPU should have seen the large bump in performance they’re long overdue that should allow everyone to run it comfortably at a reasonable cost.

• Cinek says:

Future VRs will have better resolutions, that’s nothing new, really, it will stay true not only till 2018 but also every next year. Doesn’t change the fact that OR gets released this year and the VR will be here.

As for “hardware bump” – there is no “long overdue” “hardware bump” – progress will keep on going just like it did so far. APIs will push it further than the usual – notably DX12/Vulkan – but that’s about it.

• Ethaor says:

Future VR headsets having higher resolution isn’t new indeed, that’s not my point though. The point is that the current resolution consumer VR headset are capable of are still too low, they should be good in a year or two. That’s all I’m saying.

As for “hardware bump”, it is a rather established idea that the GPU and CPU tech these past few years has been rather stagnant and underwhelming to say the least, several pointers shows that recent progress should finally (hence the “long overdue” statement) lead to a big leap forward in efficiency and power in regards to at least GPUs and SSD tech to name only those. I’d invite you to read about it. I believe there are even a few nice articles about hardware trends and news on RPS.

• Shuck says:

“GPU and CPU tech these past few years has been rather stagnant and underwhelming”
            That’s because Moore’s Law ended (largely because of hitting the physical limits of heat dissipation). This is the new normal. We’ll see some improvements here and there, but not the steady progress of doubling transistors on a chip, even if they can make them half the size (because of the heat issue – which is why 14nm isn’t as big a deal as it seems). So we’ll see how much this year’s anticipated breakthroughs will improve things, but if it isn’t enough to provide the power VR requires, it’s not going to get better any time soon as we can’t expect even that kind of improvement on a regular basis.

• Asurmen says:

Shuck, despite this year’s GPU die shrink literally being half the amount of the current families? I think you underestimate how big a deal it is. We’ll see the biggest jump in GPU power in years.

• Shuck says:

@Asurmen: Yep, even with the die shrink. As I said, it was hitting the physical limits of heat dissipation that killed Moore’s Law, not the inability to further reduce size. Even when they halve the size of the transistor, they can no longer fit twice as many on the chip and have it still work. So 14nm won’t necessarily mean much – power gains are coming from changes in architecture (multiple cores, etc.) at this point, not die shrinkage.

• Asurmen says:

Die shrinks allow more transistors and use less power for the same amount of work. Less power = less heat. Seems to me there isn’t a problem.

• Shuck says:

@Asurmen: Unfortunately, no. The smaller the transistor, the worse the current leakage and thus the heat dissipation issues. So you can’t double the transistor count even if you halve the size.

• phylum sinter says:

I am not certain, but the ‘Hardware Bump’ that is long overdue might actually happen with another reduction in die sizes. Something here on RPS made me think so… let me see if i can find it.

here you are – link to rockpapershotgun.com

that got me kind of excited for a real boost in GFX tech, anyway. Perhaps prices won’t go anywhere, but performance per dollar will go up.

• Xzi says:

Right around 720p per eye is fine for the average consumer. Then again, the average consumer probably expects more from the expensive gaming PC they built which can support the Oculus to begin with. Still, by no means is the resolution “too low,” that’s only the case if it causes you motion sickness.

• Sakkura says:

What about the HTC Vive though.

• Cinek says:

Nothing. Oculus supports more titles and it’s basically a base platform for VR development making it a default go-to option when I want hassle-less experience. Vive is still in development and noone can tell for sure when it will be released – Oculus is about to be here. Vive offers some features for running around the room I couldn’t care less about, and other stuff is in the question mark area, so I see no reason to delay purchase just because some competitor might or might not be little bit better or worse. The only disappointment is a lack of Oculus Touch at the release – but I’ll spend majority of my VR time with HOMAS/HOTAS/Wheel, so it doesn’t matter all that much.

• Sakkura says:

Oculus only supports a handful of interesting titles at this point, many of those being controlled by Valve. There’s not much advantage there, unless Eve Valkyrie truly becomes a killer app.

The Vive is no more in development than the Rift is. Absurd to dismiss it for that reason. Release should be within weeks of the Rift, and the Vive should launch with VR controllers while those for the Rift are delayed until the second half of this year.

• Cinek says:

It supports enough interesting titles to justify purchase, and most of the interesting games are not controlled by Valve, no idea how you came up with that – being on a steam doesn’t make a game “controlled by Valve“. Even in a sheer numbers Oculus got more to show.

Your comment about Vive development is based mostly on a speculation (minus the controllers part, which I already addressed in my earlier post), I’ll believe it when I’ll see a purchase option, cause they are really lacking in transparency.

• Sakkura says:

Half-Life 2, Half-Life Source, and TF2 make up like half of the interesting titles with VR support at this point. Valve very much do control those games, because they’re developed AND published AND sold by Valve.

• PseudoKnight says:

I think Vive may be a more compelling option (though it’s largely speculation at this point), but not because Valve supports it with a few traditional FPS games. Those aren’t great for VR.

• phylum sinter says:

Well, given that i am far from a rich man that loves my technology, I cannot risk purchasing even the lesser of two models, nor the prospect of getting the “nearly there, next time we’ll nail it!” version of the headset at anything above $400 usd… i’ll need a hands-on demo first.

I haven’t heard yet, but i’m hoping some retailer in the U.S. (Best Buy or Gamestop come to mind) might have in-store kiosks for this and the Vive – if not, i’ll just be holding off until 2017 probably, and actually right now it’s very possible the price will be above my alotted guilt in plunking down large wads of cash anyway.

I’m happy that it’s finally about to be in the hands of developers though, and really hope these first PC consumer models will hit the mark and thus get the ball rolling for further development.

Who knows though, it could still fizzle. It could still be priced out of enough gamers’ budgets to matter to many developers. Grab your popcorn!

2. Rack says:

I’m not sure, Rift or Vive is a tricky question. The fragmentation might mean I end up with neither till I’m sure I don’t end up with a fancy HD-DVD version of VR.

• Xzi says:

If you’re sitting right around the minimum spec for VR with a GTX 970 like me, then jumping on a Rift is probably fine. I expect the minimum requirements for the Vive to be at least a little higher. OTOH, I don’t trust Facebook. Not giving us the price until the day pre-orders go live is shady. Could very well come with data-tracking software, too.

3. flibbidy says:

personally i think i’m going to wait for the vive, it’s seemed like the slightly better way of doing things since it was announced, and “room scale” is the part that really appeals.

but i very much want VR now, and there are no guarantees that the vive won’t be delayed beyond their stated april launch.. so i might just have to try oculus and somehow deal with the money situation come april.

I think the tech is here to stay, it clearly works and people rave about it after trying it, but whether it breaks out of its niche and attracts enough big name software releases to become mainstream any time soon i’m not so sure. I’d be pretty happy with short room-scale tech demo “experiences” alongside cockpit adaptations personally though (have to budget for a wheel too)

4. MistaJah says:

I’ll wait for the Vive. SteamVR and Valve <3

I won't get all of them, and getting both the Rift and Vive would be naff. I might split the cost of a PS4+PSVR bundle with my sister if she wants one.

• MistaJah says:

And if Vive costs £100 I think it’s worth it, you get two motion controllers.

Plus, being able to pace around is incredibly important for immersion. If I can’t pace around, it’s not a room, it’s a closet. I need to pace around!

• MistaJah says:

*£100 more*

I would be frustrated all summer if I got the Rift now and didn’t have motion controllers until (late?) fall.

PoulWrist says:

Considering what Valve and HTC’s other highend hardware cost, £100 seems rather far-fetched. Let’s guess £500.

• flibbidy says:

i reckon about £450 oculus, and vive a couple hundred more.

• SingularityParadigm says:

Oculus Rift is capable of Room-Scale tracking. See here: link to youtube.com

5. Hammer says:

I’m normally a sucker for first generation hardware, but with the combined cost of a GTX 970 or better to run it and high chance of v2 having better quality screen tech, I’ll be waiting a while.

PoulWrist says:

No. My 680 won’t be able to run any games on it at any visual fidelity worth talking about as far as I can tell. The 970 that Oculus lists as min-spec is probably also going to be cutting it rather close for anything more than medium settings.

Which is problematic for the launch of these things. They should have lined them up with the release of the next-gen GPUs, instead now people will flock to the absurdly overpriced 5 year old-tech of current GPUs and in just a handful of months we’ll get a major step up in performance and powerconsumption.

“But you can always wait 6 months and buy something better” – yeah, but never before will we have seen a performance increase in this order of magnitude. The move to unified shaders with the Geforce 8000 series and the performance boost over the previous gen at that time will pale compared to what will come this summer.

So yeah, a shame, but I’m not running out to get a 980 Ti when it’ll be severely outdated in 5 months.

PoulWrist says:

Or Fury X, for that matter, which might actually be better at handling VR than nVidia for now.

Also, worth noting is that while there’s a catalogue of games that support these things (Elite, Project CARS, various in-dev games like Star Citizen, etc.), and a bunch more coming up (MechWarrior online, ARMA (?), a bunch more, no doubt), then the remainder are going to be stuff like techdemos and small indiegames from Oculus’ own store. So… meh? I mean, it’ll be cool in future, but right now, I think I’ll just hang back and let the market mature some more, both software and hardware-wise.

• Sakkura says:

The next-gen GPUs will arrive around the middle of the year, not long after the VR headsets.

7. Unsheep says:

There are so few games available for VR though. Why buy it now ?
    Its going to be years until we get a decent catalog of games.
    Its still far too expensive as well. I can buy a decent laptop, buy one of the new consoles or upgrade my PC for that price.
    I feel like they are rushing it. What will happen to the brand when gamers have no new games to play ?

• Cinek says:

Depends what you play. I happen to own all the major titles that currently support OR, so for me – there’s more Oculus-ready games than I have a time to play. List of games with Oculus Rift support is not bad, IMHO.

• Sakkura says:

Worth noting the majority of those either don’t support it yet or are still in development. Of the released games, less than 50 have support and of those only a few are reasonably high-profile – TF2, Strike Suit Zero, Half-Life 2 + Half-Life Source, Elite:Dangerous… maybe Alien Isolation with partial support?

• PseudoKnight says:

A large majority of those aren’t designed for VR.

8. iainl says:

I’m not buying anything until all the different VR formats are out and we have some clue about what will work with what. I’ve also got a PS4, and Rez is one of the games I’d like to play on it. But other games include Elite Dangerous on my PC, and I refuse to buy two headsets.

And that’s before we get to the small issue of Elite making big noises about Vive but not working with the current Rift DK2 drivers. So nobody gets my money until this settles.

And that’s all before we deal with the question of how my GTX770 is under the recommended Rift spec.

• Pulstar says:

It would be neat if the Morpheus worked with PC as well.. Two birds with one stone, and I don’t really care about its limitations either. People are expecting too much from VR already, but most screen time will remain on standard monitors for most people, VR or not.

particlese says:

I’m still atop the fence between the Rift and Vive camps. I have the former’s dev kits, and I’d like to continue to support them as pioneers, but I feel like Valve is going to be much more Linux-friendly and generally open — even beyond Oculus’s initial “hey guys, we need to concentrate on one platform first” period. I’ll therefore almost certainly be waiting, much as I’d like to see these things succeed. (Inflate the bandwagon!!)

Supporting that decision is that my computer is pretty ancient, so I wouldn’t be getting the real/intended deal from either set of gear.

particlese says:

link to youtube.com
      Well, I guess that’s my answer down the tubes. Guess I’ll have a Rift, at least!

(In short: DK1 Kickstarter backers get the consumer Rift for free. o_o )

10. C0llic says:

It seems sensible to wait at least until valve’s offering appears given I wasn’t an early occulus person.

I’m also thinking seriously about waiting even later until the dust settles more, what with the new gen gpus coming.

11. Chaz says:

I get a feeling I’m going to end up getting both and then just sell the one I like the least.

12. FluffyFreak says:

I’ve been running the DK1 and DK2 so far and love it, so does everyone that I’ve shown it too, including all the kids at my girlfriends school.

I’ll be pre-ordering it tomorrow so long as the total is less than £400, I think I might be able to stretch a little bit past that but not much! I’ve been saving for this since getting the DK2 :)

Yes you could wait for the Vive, but I’m not at all interested in the room-scale VR idea. Like most people this will be setup in our “spare room” which doubles as my office and just about fits a desk, chair and single bed into it. All my gaming is done sat down using Mouse+Keyboard, Xbox360 joypad for some games, or a HOTAS setup for Elite Dangerous.

Isn’t that more likely to be the common use case for most people here in the UK? A small spare room where the high end gaming PC is tucked away because the living room is a social space.

The other thing is that the Vive has been put back again, so I can have VR now-ish, or just keep waiting until HTC goes bankrupt.

• lazy8 says:

I just received an email that as an DK1-backer I get the new Rift as an added bonus, a nice way of them to show their appreciation for backing it in 2013.
      So if you already have one there is a change that you do not need to pre-order them tomorrow as you might already get one.

• worzak says:

As the email states. Login to kiclstarter and fill out the survey for your adress so they can send u one(IF you live in the 20 eligeble countries). So i think there is a good chance to be the first ones in the queue already.

13. Kefren says:

I’m interested in VR, but just want a headset I can use sat at my PC, keyboard and mouse controls are fine for me. I don’t want an Xbox One controller (I avoid things that needs batteries, and find game controllers uncomfortable anyway – a last resort, rather than a weapon of choice). I don’t like the look of either of the games they’re bundling. I’d rather pay less and just get a wired headset. Probably similar problems for me with the Vive when it is launched.

Will there be any way to use these with old games? Some trickery that will overlay Doom, Duke Nukem, System Shock etc so they work in 3D? I’m more interested in new ways to experience my favourites than in new games generally. I thought I’d try a new, big budget game this hols – Mad Max – but was bored almost from the start. I kept trying it but after 5 hours gave up. Whereas HoMM2, the games mentioned above, Amnesia, Desktop Dungeons, and other older games totally immerse me. I just want to play them again. (I realise HoMM2 and Desktop Dungeons wouldn’t gain anything from VR, I’m excluding those!)

• FluffyFreak says:

The Rift is wired, I agree that I’d not bother with the Xbox One pad though. The games I’m interested in trying so if they’re just bundled then that’s fine, I doubt they’re adding anything to the cost unlike the pad.

Some older games you can get support for using 3rd party hacks and programs like

• FluffyFreak says:

I mena like : link to vorpx.com

• Asurmen says:

I remember reading the other day that nothing that is included in the Rift is increasing the cost.

• Kefren says:

Weird. Surely a £45 controller is adding £45 to the price? How could it not? I guess I just don’t understand economics.

• Sakkura says:

If Microsoft was somehow getting a cut off the games sold for the Rift, then I could believe that they were giving Oculus the bundled controllers for free. But they’re not, so they must be getting paid. Less than the retail price sure, but paid nonetheless.

• Asurmen says:

That isn’t necessarily true though. The Rift is heavily subsidised. You can run something net or at a loss on the basis of bigger or sidways gains through market penetration at a later date. For example, consoles themselves running at a loss based on bigger gains through games, or through other sales or advertisement etc.

• Sakkura says:

But with lower costs, you can hit a lower price point with the same subsidy. So it doesn’t really make sense to claim that the extra cost doesn’t matter.

• Asurmen says:

With the subsidy the parent company, given the size of FB can just take the hit. There isn’t any extra cost. That’s the point :/

• Sakkura says:

There is extra cost, because Microsoft isn’t going to give them Xbox One controllers for free. And again, you can’t just say “oh Facebook will just give more money” when more money could just as well have let them hit a lower price point.

• Asurmen says:

There is literally no extra cost on the consumer. At all.

• Sakkura says:

There literally is, as I’ve already explained.

• Asurmen says:

No you haven’t. They set a price point for profit WITH the extras being subsidised by the parent company and without their extra costs being passed onto the customer. That’s the whole point of a subsidy.

• Kefren says:

Yes, I’m pleased that the power requirements of monitors means they’re likely to use cables, not batteries. I suppose I could sell the controller, it’s just that little extra hassle (I imagine I’d save about £15 off the Rift price if they hadn’t bundled them). Your link to the 3D driver was great, I hadn’t realised all those games would work with just a little extra purchase – many of my favourites in there! That list alone would keep me going for a few years. :-)

• Cinek says:

You don’t have to play with a controller. There’s nothing forcing you to. If you want – you can use M&KB.

• Kefren says:

Yes. I just didn’t want another one I wouldn’t use. It would make more sense for them to offer it as an optional extra, with a discount if you didn’t need it (I think they are £45?)

• Cinek says:

Good point, I guess. We’ll see what options they’ll offer exactly, but if something – you always can get most of the money back from selling it on ebay.

Oakreef says:

I’ll definitely be waiting too. Not for the Vive but just to see what the consensus is on system specs needed to play games. Need to know how much I’ll need to spend on upgrades before committing to this.

15. Simbosan says:

A preview of the ability to pre-order? I have a sense of deja vu

16. LennyLeonardUK says:

Isn’t it amazing to think that we are now on the verge of seeing the tech used in the Red Dwarf episode ‘Gunmen Of The Apocalypse’ become a reality??.

Personally I’m hopeful that we are entering a new era of interactivity with our games. For too long the gaming world as a whole has stood still and not embraced anything forward thinking or new, but now we are about to see a lifetime of dreams come to a reality. Who here hasn’t at one time wished for the complete immersive experience that the Oculus promises??. To actually feel like Han Solo whilst piloting a space craft in Elite or Star Citizen??. I certainly know that I have.

Unfortunately the other part of my brain (the less optimistic side) is also wary of what sort of ‘games’ we may end up getting. I can easily see the whole concept only being used for empty shovel ware and porn in the end. Or even worse a hybrid of the two. F2P games which offer sexual rewards depending on the level of grind (pun intended) & time a user is willing to invest.

• Jediben says:

Still waiting to have it off with the 17 year old ball girl from Wimbledon as soon as the groins attachment appears.

• Jediben says:

17. Thornback says:

I’m in the ‘disabled’ minority for all this VR junk. My eyes and brain communicate all funky, so don’t put the two images together so I don’t even see the real world in 3D. (Yes that means 24/7 double vision, but I’m used to it)

This means I’m bitter and want all this VR and 3D stuff to be a fad and just piss off. Get back to me when it’s at least like the Star Trek holodeck so I can appreciate it.

Oakreef says:

Head tracking is a lot more important to VR that a stereoscopic image. The biggest difference is being able to naturally look around the world with your head, not just a 3D screen.

• Thornback says:

Right, but that makes it sound like something very expensive for something that my phone manages to achieve fairly well just with a better screen/s.

• Mctittles says:

You shouldn’t have to worry. It’s VR and unlike a 3d movie it should look just as real as the real world already does. Closing one eye and looking around in VR is the same as doing it in real life. There are many more depth perception clues than just eye convergence.

• Asurmen says:

Except convergence is the one that works best and works in all situations. You can’t judge depth on a fast moving object for example with an eye closed. You can judge depth of items within arm reach with an eye closed but not objects metres away.

• Thornback says:

Literally my situation.(diplopia caused)

I get really pissed when people that know I have no depth perception throw stuff to me, because as soon as it’s gently tossed to me, and has nothing in close contact with to help me judge it’s position, it may as well be flying at me in fucking space, orbiting Jupiter at 80m/s as solar flares shoot out my butt.

My only choice is place a hand in front of where I GUESS it’s moving and hope it hits and that I can close my hand up in time when I feel it hit.

This fails often. It always makes me feel bad.

Fucking eyes, HOW DO THEY WORK?

• SingularityParadigm says:

There have been several cases in which people who do not see in stereoscopic 3D with depth perception in real life actually experience it for the first time in VR. You should read these two threads on Reddit:

link to reddit.com

link to reddit.com

There is a third example of this happening but I can’t find it at the moment.

• Thornback says:

Interesting stuff, but looks like it’s helped people with a different condition to me. On looking it up, I have what is called diplopia.

That’s what the game in the second link WAS called too, but they’ve changed the name to Vivid Vision. Probably because it doesn’t help schmucks like me. Sad face.

18. Retzinsky says:

I’m definitely nervous about being a guinea pig for a technology that perhaps is not quite where it needs to be yet, but at the same time I’m pretty sure that I’m just going to preorder immediately. I can understand waiting for the Vive’s room scale VR if that’s what you’re interested in, or being disappointed by the delay on the Rift’s own motion controllers, but the games I play the most are Elite Dangerous, iRacing and Assetto Corsa. And I want to play Valkyrie. I’m literally the perfect target for this piece of hardware. The only way they could make it more appropriate would be to rename it the Oculus Retzinsky.

• Xzi says:

The tech is in a good place. There’s just not a very big library of games to play with it yet, so that certainly diminishes its value.

19. fish99 says:

Unless money is no object, pre-ordering would be foolish without knowing whether the Rift or Vive is superior, especially with the prices people are mentioning above. I also want to see a solid library of actual games I can play on them.

I’ll wait for reviews of both. As other people have said there’s going to be a 2nd and 3rd generation of these devices with higher resolution screens, GPUs will probably be double the speed by then, and there will be more to play on them. I want VR, but I don’t want rubbish VR.

• Shuck says:

Based on what Alec is saying above, I rather suspect the early reviews will be glowing, regardless of the quality of the experiences, as the reviewers will all be suffering from the “sunk cost fallacy” and looking to justify their expenditures to themselves.

• Xzi says:

I’m sure a lot of big reviewers will be getting the hardware for free, no?

• Shuck says:

I’m sure some people will get (temporary) loans of review tech. The people reviewing the games probably aren’t, though, so we’ll get unrealistically rosy views of the sorts of experiences you’ll have on the equipment, at least for a while.

20. melnificent says:

Expect the price to be between £429 and £599. And the obvious gpu + rift bundles.

Herring says:

Valve announces the Vive will be delayed due to the advent of some massive tech breakthrough. Details will be announced at CES.
    By total coincidence the Rift opens for pre-order at the start of CES, before Valve’s announcement.

It’s canny but I think you’d be made to take the leap. It’s hard for me to resist too; I’ve been dreaming about VR for Elite for 30 years :)

• Sakkura says:

Front-facing camera to facilitate the transition between seated and standing experiences, and to better allow the chaperone thing prevent you from walking into tables, chairs and whatnot.

22. Cinek says:

Apparently all kickstarter backers will get a release-version of the Oculus Rift for free.

Great surprise… for those that backed it (now you’re telling me… >_>).

23. Anguy says:

Judging by the enthusiasm in the comments I seem to be about the only one assuming this to be just a gimmick that’s going to pass as quickly as 3D movies and televisions did. I’ve never used a rift or any other VR headset yet but I’m very sceptical it would change my mind.
    Another bump to how widespread this will become will surely be the hardware hunger of the Rift. A 970 is what I have in my PC but I know plenty of people wo are still rocking a 6XX or even 560. So it’s not just the cost of the headset but furthermore you might have to upgrade your whole PC to play a handful of games.

This is not supposed to be a hostile rant and I’m sorry if it seems that way (English is not my first language). So, if you disagree or think you can convince me that this is the next big thing, please feel free to answer!

• Asurmen says:

I think you ask the impossible. You can’t simply be told what VR is like, you have to experience it for yourself.

24. SingularityParadigm says:

I will be pre-ordering the Rift the moment they go live. I built a new desktop a year ago preparing for this moment…i7-5820k hexacore @ 4.4GHz and I will be upgrading my GTX980 to a GTX1080ti when the big Pascal GPU cards launch.

25. Kerr Avon says:

Looking forward to it! Just two concerns. 1) Keep selling the wired option. If this eventually goes wireless then we need the option of disabling the wireless signal. I mean, wireless is great for short gaming sessions with friends when they’re liable to trip over the wires and break it. Using a Rift in wireless mode on a daily basis though? Bad idea. Unless of course, you think it’s fine to have microwaves strapped next to your skull for hours every night? Great if you don’t mind getting brain cancer and/or turning into a brainwashed zombie I guess. 2) I’m thinking as soon as the Rift is in circulation and we’re becoming used to it, I know what’s going to happen. When we least expect it we’ll get a “nice surprise” announcement that there will be a “necessary firmware upgrade” to continue using it. Yes, the Rift will eventually require an “upgrade” to Windows 10. You just know there’s going to be a hidden catch somewhere in the contract. Well, so long as we can take it apart and do the necessary soldering and hacking the software ourselves for our own use, and not sell it to us in some solid state enclosed case (like say an iphone), it’s all good. I’d love a hi-res Rift for DCS World.

26. IonTichy says:

Nope…pre-ordering is generally the worst choice one can make.

• Asurmen says:

In this case there’s literally no draw back in pre-ordering though as they’re not taking money off of people until it ships. Get your pre-order in, guarantee your place in shipping AND Touch controllers. If reviews come out that are bad, cancel your pre-order.