Pillar Of Eternity: White March Part 2 Coming In Feb

If your January is shaping up anything like mine – and I assume everyone is a less-good version of me, so you certainly aspire to follow my life – you’ll be spending a large part of it wavering between despair and bloody fury. So hey, good news: this mood needn’t sour your first taste of The White March Part 2, the second half of the Pillars of Eternity [official site] expansion. It had been slated to arrive in the period of “late January”, but a new trailer pegs it to a firm date: February 16th. Come watch!

That’s your standard cinematic voice-over story teaser-y sort of a thing. As for what you’ll get to play with/chat to/murder in Obsidian’s RPG expansion, the official description sez:

“The White March – Part 2 not only adds new content to the Pillars of Eternity universe, but also allows players to experience the conclusion of the stories told in The White March – Part 1, bringing the first epic chapter of Pillars of Eternity to a close. Players will find a variety of new challenges waiting for them in the snowy borderlands of the Eastern Reach, along with new quests, new abilities and a raised level cap, and a new companion: Meneha, the Barbarian.

“A series of new features await fans of the Pillars of Eternity universe, including a new ‘Story Time’ mode, letting players experience the incredible narrative of Pillars of Eternity at a faster pace. Players will discover the answers to questions asked in the prior expansion, and lead companions old and new through new locations such as the Abbey of the Fallen Moon.”

Now let’s all concentrate on become less woeful/livid. We can do this, reader dear, I know we can. We’ll have a few weeks to be nice and calm before even contemplating something as involved as roleplaying.

Hey, maybe you might also like to revisit memories of Pillars by reading its entry in the RPS Advent calendar.

1. Trashcanman says:

Nice. Been holding out for this second part to be able to play the entire expansion in one go. Do hope they revamped the stronghold gameplay. That felt like a missed opportunity in the base game. Otherwise, I’m stoked.

2. Arkayjiya says:

I’ve not bought the first expansion yet (I’m in the middle of act 2 so I didn’t even finish the main game) but I’m hesitant to do so. As someone who enjoy the universe, the story, and to a lesser degree (but still a lot) the characters, but not as much the combat (I mean I do like the combat system, but in very small doses, I’m not much of a dungeon crawler type of guy), is the expansion worth it? I’ve heard that it was very combat focused (talking exclusively about the first one for now of course)

• geisler says:

I’ve finished the game twice, the last time including the expansion, in my opinion it’s worth it, that is, if you like the base game. It’s basically more of the same, don’t expect any big revamps or exciting stronghold content, or any changes to the combat for that matter.

I’m perplexed by your comment on the combat to be honest. It is a huge part, if not the biggest part, of this game. Depending on where you are in the game, you might as well just call it a dungeon crawler. There are huge chunks of the game (entire sessions for some people i can imagine) devoted to combat. In fact, one of my personal problems with the game is that it features too many banal, boring neverending trash mob encounters, unnecessarily padding the game.

• Arkayjiya says:

I have mixed feeling about the combat. On one side, the system is interesting, on the other side, I can only take it in small doses.
        It’s kind of like Dragon Age: Origins combat. I loved the system (at max difficulty on pc at least, probably even more than Pillar’s combat) but for god’s sake did you have to make your dungeons so long? Is there really still 3 level to that tower??? Same in Pillars (but not as bad, DA:O really went overboard with the size and number of levels).

“In fact, one of my personal problems with the game is that it features too many banal, boring neverending trash mob encounters, unnecessarily padding the game.”*

Well yeah that’s my point. To give you a frame of reference, if you’ve followed the development of Torment: Tides of Numenera, I’m far more excited for this combat system. First the optional nature is fine (although I’m aware there is no way in hell I can skip all combat in a blind playthrough), second the turn by turn nature is less messy (especially regarding pathfinding) and more importantly: each fight is a handcrafted crisis, they’re rarer and each is given more attention and importance.

Anyway to come back to White March, you’re saying it’s more of the same thing. As long as the balance between story, character and combat is the same, I might buy the expansion, but if there is even more combat (not necessarily in term of quantity but also regarding the time it takes to complete it, if it’s twice as hard it will obviously requires more tries) between each plot beat it might be too much for me.

• Fenixp says:

Patch 3.0 which will come out along with White March pt2 will add a so-called story mode – like Path of the Damned, it’s a special difficulty which gimps all enemies while making characters under your control very powerful.

In addition to that, this very patch will revisit areas of the original game and attempt to change encounters to make them less numerous and more meaningful – we’ll see how will that pan out. However, it also means that Obsidian understood what they did wrong, and encounters in WM pt.1 are already significantly more interesting than in the original.

And yes, the combat to storytime ratio is about the same in WM as it was in the base game.

• Arkayjiya says:

Thanks a lot for your answers!

Story modes don’t do it for me, I mean I play on hard because although I spend less time fighting in “normal” it’s so boring I can’t enjoy it (yeah it’s an annoying conundrum). I still want challenging combat, but what I want is a balance less skewed towards it.
            Which basically means the part about 3.0 tweaking this balance and making the combat more meaningful and less like a grind is a very good news! Thanks a lot for that, that’s what I wanted to hear so I’ll be eager to test the result.

I’m probably going to finish my Cypher playthrough and wait for 3.0 to hit to play my Paladin, maybe with some White March action once I’ve read the reviews for the second part!

• Fenixp says:

Don’t get too excited, I fully expect encounters to still suck, they’ll probably just suck less :-P

• Zekiel says:

Arkayjiya can I just say I think I’m totally in agreement – I really liked the combat, but there was just too much of the trash mobs. I don’t want the combat to be easier, I just want there to be less of it. I regretfully gave up on the Endless Paths after about level 4 since it seemed to be almost nothing apart from very similar encounters (2 ogres; another 2 ogres; a troll; a troll; two slimes; two trolls and a slime).

Maybe these patch changes Fenixp mentions will help with that?

3. Infinitron says:

bringing the first epic chapter of Pillars of Eternity to a close

Ahem ahem

• suibhne says:

Seems rather like the most pointed hint they’ve offered to date.

teije says:

Now I can finally play this! I only got about 10 hours in the base game before I heard the expansions were coming. So I’ve been waiting (somewhat) patiently for completion.

5. Zekiel says:

I really really loved Pillars of Eternity (having played it once) but I just can’t get excited about these expansions. There is already a vast amount of game in there already – I keep wondering about a second playthrough but I find it hard to justify replaying a 60-hour game when I could play five-six new games in the same time period.

• Fry says:

Assuming you still have end game saves, you don’t have to replay the original content. Just load a save right before the final boss battle and hop into White March.

• Zekiel says:

That’s a good point, I’d forgotten you could do that. Thanks.

Andy_Panthro says:

I think the “story mode” or whatever new difficulty setting is what I’m waiting for. I’m not interested in the combat so much (prefer turn-based games for that), but would really like to explore and see all of the story.

7. racccoon says:

Looks like a storm is rising for the Hammer heads..