Rise Of The Tomb Raider Clings To January 28th

This is what is so exciting about archaeology: we’re always uncovering new (old) developments, learning more, and reshaping our understanding of history. As recently as yesterday, our radiocarbon dating techniques could only broadly date Rise of the Tomb Raider [official site] to a January release window. Today, a new development means that we now know a specific day: Thursday, January 28th. Isn’t progress exciting! I’ll be awfully disappointed if I don’t see, within a week, this breakthrough attributed to Albert Einstein by a Twitter account named e.g. ‘Science Is My Daddy’.

Nixxes Software, who you might remember from Deus Ex: Human Revolution’s port, are working on this PC version. Today’s announcement declares that the port has added “numerous features, including Windows 10 support and 4K resolution.” Heaven knows what’s so exciting about Windows 10 support! I suspect we might hear more of the technical nitty-gritty over the next few weeks, mind.

Rise of the Tomb Raider will cost $59.99 for the standard edition or $149.99 for a boxed version with a Lara statue and necklace and other jazz. I’m not sure how Square Enix will convert the $59.99 to real money, but that Collector’s Edition costs £109.99 on Xbox One. Strewth!

Oh, look! We’ve uncovered a scroll with the minimum system requirements too:

Minimum OS: Windows 7 64bit
Processor:  Intel Core i3-2100 or AMD equivalent
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 650 2GB or AMD HD7770 2GB
RAM: 6GB
HD Space: 25GB
DirectX: DirectX 11
Input: Mouse + Keyboard

1. dongsweep says:

Anyone play it yet? I quite liked the first one of the new “Tomb Raider” – I’m a sucker for any game with a bow. Also anything like Uncharted gets a buy from me.

• Talbot says:

I played the 2013 one, enjoyed it a bit, but would much prefer a return to tomb raiding than Postal to be quite frank.

Tendehka says:

It got a bunch of really good reviews on the Xbone version, so unless they Arkham it up, it should be a good game.

• Tyrric says:

I played it and found it to be pretty fun. I only hope the timed exclusive outcry doesn’t hurt future sales badly enough that they don’t continue the story. I did not read any of the reviews for the game, but it does feel like it is the middle act of a trilogy.

2. Primey says:

“Nixxes Software, who you might remember from Deus Ex: Human Revolution’s port, are working on this PC version.”

Can I get a source on this?

Nixxes is saying all they did was the 360 port and the ROTTR FAQ says Crystal Dynamics is doing it (link to forums.eu.square-enix.com)

Q: Who is developing the PC and PlayStation 4 versions of Rise of the Tomb Raider?

A: Crystal Dynamics will lead the development on both versions.

• Primey says:

Never mind. I found the source. It is weird that Nixxes makes no mention of it of their site. Also RPS needs a better comment system, one which lets you delete comments

• Alice O'Connor says:

I linked to the source.

3. Ringwraith says:

Windows 10 support is kinda important when you have games that simply do not run on 10, and fail to start properly, and were released only in December!
    (To be fair, it’s a tinkered-with version of a game from 2006, but still! Kind of a blow when a game just doesn’t work because of your version of operating system).

4. a_person says:

I’m confused by all these Tomb Raider release date posts. As recently as January 1st you had a release date of January 29th in your games of 2016 roundup but now you’ve only just found out it’s coming out the sometime this month oh wait no now it’s the day before?

• Alice O'Connor says:

The 29th was from Amazon listings, which are often unreliable (e.g. in this case) so I never report ’em myself. I didn’t have a hand in the Games of 2016 post, though. These two news posts have been about Official News.

5. TWChristine says:

Even though I’m sure I would’ve waited for it to go down in price anyway, I’m still kind of pissed that just as it’s about to come out, my video card starts to flake!

6. racccoon says:

Ok give me another shot..

7. Rince says:

I loved the 2013 Tomb Raider. Has become my favorite Tomb Raider so far.

But I’m kinda mad that they put Sam in a bus for this one.
    Give me back my ship!! Or better, make it canon.

• Luciferous says:

I know Sam features in the comics that are supposed to bridge the two games… Also do we know for certain if Sam isn’t in this game? Actually on second thoughts if you know the answer don’t tell me!

I’m going to go get caught up on the comics now!

8. Unsheep says:

A completely unnecessary delay.
    The main competitor to Xbox is PlayStation, not the PC.
    I understand blocking or delaying the release on another console platform, they are true rivals after all, but on PC ?!

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

I don’t really get your statement. Regardless of how much or little money Microsoft makes out of Xbox, they need units shipped numbers for their quarterlies. Windows will get adoption from any one of a million sources, whereas Xbox only gets its user base from video games. Their move makes sense to me from a financial point of view.

9. Raoul Duke says:

Does the “Rise of…” in this title grate for anyone else? What is she “rising” to? Is she a Batman villain?

• Enso says:

An expression of the state of the world, the origin story harks back to the stories of gods of old while appealing to our dream of breaking free and overcoming the depressing reality of civilisation as well as being super badass. That and everyone wants power but has no idea what to do with it once they get it.