A Boy And His Blob Bouncing Onto PC

As magical childhood friends go, a wee alien blob which transforms into different objects when it eats jellybeans is a pretty good one. He’s the co-star of A Boy and His Blob [official site], WayForward’s re-imagining of ye olde A Boy and His Blob: Trouble on Blobolonia (cracking subtitle, that) from the NES in 1989. The adorable puzzle-platformer debuted on Wii back in 2009, and is only just making its way to PC now. All those jellybeans surely must slow one down. But come January 19th, it’ll be here.

There’s trouble on the planet Blobolonia, see, then the blob arrives on Earth and befriends the boy and together they- look, the important thing is that you can hug the blob whenever you want. It’s got a hug button, just because. Who wouldn’t want to hug that cutie? Well, maybe not when he’s transformed.

Feeding the blob different flavours of jellybeans will transform him into items including a parachute, a rocket, a bowling ball, a space hopper, and a hole dropping you down through the level. Handy for solving puzzles, that, and also murdering nasty monsters. And then you hug him for doing good murders. Good blob. Good murders. I love you.

A Boy and His Blob will arrive on Steam and GOG on January 19th. Have a peek:

1. gbrading says:

Any game that has a hug button gets a thumbs up in my book.

2. ansionnach says:

I’m thinking a football game: yin and yang football. In it you’ve got a nasty and nice button so you can hatchet or hug. Each game plays out like a soap opera. What happens if you hug someone from the other team? Do they give you a box and get sent off? Was your action in the spirit of fair play or cynical gamesmanship? Perhaps the blob could fit in somewhere as well. Game could be sponsored by jelly beans since you need to get all that energy to run around from somewhere. Maybe beer too, to offset the risk of becoming too healthy.

• Ross Angus says:

I like this idea. I’m not sure I understand it, but I like it. Perhaps if two players both chose to hug, they would instantly swap jumpers, thereby confusing the play from that moment on.

• GameCat says:

Stop stealing the ideas from Peter Molyneux! :P

3. Martel says:

I used to love this game back in the day

4. Darth Gangrel says:

This might be the closest thing to a Barbapapa game we’ll ever get, so for that reason it’s on my list of games to perhaps play some day when the backlog decreases just a tiny bit.