Door Kickers 2 In Development, Switches To 3D

At the start of the Christmas holiday, I looked upon my list of installed Steam games and considered what new games I might finally have time for. Then I instantly opened up Door Kickers [Steam page], a game I’d played a dozen times before. It was the only PC game I played over the break.

Good news, then! Door Kickers 2 is in development.

In a New Year update over on Steam, developers KillHouse Games discuss the work of the past year before discussing the future.

“As 2015 has come to an end, it’s time to talk about the future, and the future is Door Kickers 2…”, it begins. “DK2 brings the step to 3D: environments, characters – but keeps the clear and easy-to-use top down perspective and hardcore, unforgiving action. It keeps the real life action but moves it to a new and exciting setting. And it changes … everything.”

They say they’re being deliberately vague, but that more information will come on January 17th, three years to the day that they first announced the original Door Kickers.

That first game is a tactical triumph, which is why we named it the best tactical game of 2014. You command a small squad of SWAT-like soldiers as they breach homes, offices and other urban environments and clear them of the terrorists that reside within. It’s controlled via a Frozen Synapse-like interface, but I find the setting makes singleplayer more satisfying, and there’s greater diversity of gadgetry as you plant explosive charges and use snake-cams to peak underneath doors.

Although I did at one point walk a man between a couch and chair and then find myself trapped, unable to kill the final terrorist hiding in a bathroom, I still love playing it. A sequel is good news.

From this site

1. Anthile says:

I’m actually a bit worried about the “new and exciting setting”. No more SWAT? Are they going to space? Modern warfare?
    Like any gamer, I want innovation but I hate change.

• geisler says:

I’m with you there. “Switches to 3D” => i’m out.

• Bronxsta says:

It’s 3D, but still top down. Just imagine what that switch could allow. Fast-roping and rappelling, destructible environments, physics, more detailed lighting and textures, more detailed animations (i.e.actually crouching and taking cover behind objects, levels with a Z-axis (i.e a balcony overlooking a lower level)

(All speculation, but you can’t do that stuff with 2D)

• hungrycookpot says:

A: You can absolutely do all that stuff with 2D, you just have to be imaginative in how your transitions happen. Lots of 2D games represent a 3D environment (Z level as vertical).

B: I’m imagining what it could allow; my laptop for casual gaming to melt down to a puddle. I really liked the simple 2D presentation of DK because I could play it on the train or whatever without my gaming PC.

I think it will look snazzy, but personally I wouldn’t have gone that way.

• Hedgeclipper says:

While I’m not personally opposed to 3D you could also add C – their budget being kidnapped by terrorists who threaten to make it explode – 3D is a lot more work even if they use a third party engine making assets will take a lot longer. That’s necessarily a bad choice but it does mean opportunity costs.

• Hedgeclipper says:

‘not necessarily’…

• elanaibaKHG says:

2D means there’s a lot of limitations and bottlenecks related to characters, for example. New animations need to be added for all character sprite sheets. New characters need to have ALL animations rendered for them. Pain in the Posterior, in my experience.

3D also means you can do more stuff with objects – like chairs falling down when pushed or blown away, for example.

Also for multiplayer considerations, customizing characters – 3D is the way forward.

• elanaibaKHG says:

Additionally, our system requirements target is similar to DK1, but we’ll see how this evolves.

Dan @ KHG

2. hungrycookpot says:

That friggin level. I usually was able to make it through most levels with a few casualties, second try was the one where everyone makes it out alive. This level caught me up for 2-3 whole days, I just couldn’t survive. Liberal use of rifles and grenades eventually saved the day.

• Hedgeclipper says:

I went with a heavily armored shield guy for distraction then carbines to take out the shooters but this and the restaurant with all the windows and hostages mixed with kidnappers gave me the most grief.

• LionsPhil says:

It’s the VIP escort one, isn’t it.

Argh.

3. Waltorious says:

“And it changes… everything.”

This time you kick windows instead of doors, calling it right now.

• pendergraft says:

I read that as “lick windows,” which, of course, would have to be set entirely on a short bus. Those windows aren’t going to lick themselves!

• Banks says:

Windowlickers ?

I’ll buy as long as all the enemies have creepy Aphex Twin faces.

4. LionsPhil says:

They did a survey considering multiplayer a while back, so possibly we’re in for some co-op this time.

• Cederic says:

I was waiting for co-op in the original before buying it for friends. Guess we’ll have to wait for DK2 or more :(

5. tonicer says:

I would love doorkickers 3 to be first person … since currently there is no tactical first person shooter.

(I know about this so called “Rainbow Six” Siege but it has nothing to do with Rainbow Six … why, you may ask … go and play the first Rainbow Six games then you’ll know)

6. Atrak says:

> Still waiting for a SWAT IV spiritual successor. Are the Rainbow Six games as focused on nonlethal takedowns as SWAT IV was or is it all bang bang dead terrorist etc.?