How To Draw And Cosplay Overwatch’s Characters

I remember Craig, formerly of this parish, once trying to put together a Halloween costume and stumbling down the well of messageboards where people studied screencaps of films and TV shows and tried to identify glove manufacturers, watch models, and other fine details. He would have appreciated the producers of Dexter putting out a guide as detailed as the one Blizzard have released to cosplaying any of the characters in multiplayer shooter Overwatch [official site].

The reference kits include production shots of characters from different angles, close-ups of particular details, and colour guides so I can tell you that D.Va’s mech suit is is exactly this colour. This is useful not just for cosplay, but for fan art, model creation and other activities, too.

I like that Blizzard are releasing this. It’s easy to be cynical about characters designed solely to garner the kind of affection that leads to fan art and cosplay, but probably only because we’re sick monsters who like spoiling other people’s fun. These are the more constructive aspects of fandom, and if you can adequately dress-up as Winston, a bespectacled gorilla in metal armour, then send me the photos and I will post them here.

Overwatch is currently in beta and Pip has been playing and enjoying it, with gradually diminishing reservations as Blizzard patch and improve it. Other than the reference guides above, the most recent interesting Overwatch news is that it’ll be a paid and not free-to-play game, and that its post-release maps and characters will be free and not DLC.

Don Reba says:

1. Draw two ovals.
    2. Now draw the rest of the goddamn character.

2. Hedgeclipper says:

Sick monsters who like spoiling other people’s fun need love too.

3. Lim-Dul says:

I’m certain this won’t be used in any kind of sexual context. No siree!

gritz says:

Way to kick off the year with possibly the most embarrassing thing I’ve ever seen on RPS.

There’s literally dozens of cool character images to choose for the header and you go with the tit shot. Then have the nerve to talk about the cynicism of pandering to fan affections.

• Kollega says:

Agreed. Especially seeing as one of the characters on the list, Mei, who I think wasn’t covered by RPS yet, is (in my opinion) hands-down the least-sexualized of all female characters in the game – while also rocking a really cool winter outfit that (again, in my opinion) would make the post just as eye-catching.

• GWOP says:

That’s funny, because I find Mei incredibly annoying – a 31-year-old with the mannerisms of a wide-eyed child.

At least D.VA has a mecha.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Mei is actually really interesting, since she breaks the trend of female characters being simply genderflipped male power fantasies. The sort of thing some journalist might do a thinkpiece about…

• Wulfram says:

I don’t think head and torso really translates into “tit shot”.

The blank expression does give it a bit of Staring Eyes going on, though.

• Baines says:

Without RPS’s past history, it wouldn’t be much of an issue.

• El Mariachi says:

If you think that constitutes a “pandering tit shot…” Well, let’s be glad they didn’t show a glimpse of bare ankle from beneath her petticoats, or you’d really have something to be scandalized about.

5. Distec says:

See also: People complaining about “butt shots” when the camera just so happens to be behind a female player character.

Just put ’em all in ponchos.