Cyberspace: Adr1ft Begins Launch Countdown

Ha ha, I tell you, given the cost of virtual reality hardware, ho ho, it might be cheaper to actually travel into space, hee hee, than to buy cybergoggles for Adrf1t [official site]. That’s a sideways irreverent glance at current affairs right there, chums. Tell Radio 4 I’m available to host The Games News Quiz. Anyway, with Oculus Rift raring to go, news comes that the zero-gravity explore ’em up will launch on March 28th. But hey, you won’t actually need cybergoggles to die in the wreckage of a smashed space station, as a non-Rift version is coming too.

Adr1ft sees an amnesiac astronaut drifting about the ruins of a space station, trying to figure what happened to murder everyone and break everything. And trying to repair a craft and get home. And to not e.g. suffocate in the unforgiving vacuum of space. Here, you can see a bit in this nine-minute gameplay video from back in October:

I do very much like that big space-tree viewing room. Wildly impractical, and the stuff of my dreams. I’ll happily float around that tree until my oxygen runs out. Beats the risk of fiery re-entry or, worse, dying somewhere boring.

All of which is to say, March 28th! That’s when it’ll come to Oculus Rift and plain old monitors and things.

phuzz says:

But space-trees make oxygen, so you’d never run out of air, hooray!

• Unclepauly says:

I’ve always wondered if one tree would produce enough oxygen to sustain a single person.

• Unclepauly says:

Years of wondering over, google responded with an answer. One tree(mature tree in one season) produces enough oxygen for 2 people to breathe for a year.

• SteelPriest says:

I believe it would be the accumulation of co2 that would get you, unfortunately.

Phasma Felis says:

That’s what the tree is for. Plants inhale CO2 and exhale oxygen. Circle of life and all that.

• LionsPhil says:

I guess the figure Project Rho arrives at is within the order-of-magnitude of the mass of a tree:

Data from Biosphere II indicate roughly seven tons of plant life per person per day, with a need for roughly 4 days for a complete plant aspiration cycle, so call it 25 to 30 tons of plant per crewman. With an average density of 0.5, each ton of greenhouse takes up about 2 cubic meters (m3)

–Project Rho, Life Support

2. vlonk says:

This is a very pretty game, but it would be better in my opinion if it aimed more for a sim approach then a gaming approach.
    Maybe the insane air consumption can be explained away with a leaky suit (before the repairbay visit), maaaybe the movement scheme can be explained with some form of builtin silent jetpack. The unfrozen plants on the broken off space station parts though… modding support pls?

• aldo_14 says:

The webpage does mention a damaged EVA suit at least. not sure on the movement bit.

Not sure the plants would actually freeze; from what I can tell they’d probably just dry up as the water within sublimated(?). The inside of the habitat might freeze up, though, depending on how much heat it expected to (have to) radiate outwards.

3. LionsPhil says:

They’re shipping us all to the ISS? Awesome!

4. KastaRules says:

I don’t think she’s gonna last that long if she keeps breathing like that!

5. xcession says:

Odd that she never chooses to carry oxygen cylinders in one of her two usually free hands!

• LionsPhil says:

Goes straight past one while at 30% capacity. But then they seem to set her to 30% capacity regardless of if she was previously at 20% or zero and starting to black out.

6. Psychomorph says:

Hate the oxygen mechanic so much.

Hey, I want to explore that monitor there… NO, can’t, got 10 seconds to breath, for ever.

• notcurry says:

Just what I was thinking. It might be fun to be under that tension for a short while, but I hope you get to sort it out for good at some point early on.

I doubt, however, that they’ve put all that effort into setting up those amazing vistas just to force you to constantly focus on a depleting meter and flashing collectibles. I hope they go for a more atmospheric and quiet experience.

7. heretic says:

Looks great, I hope you get a bit more exploration time than shown though – reaching for oxygen every few minutes could get tedious fast

8. EvaUnit02 says:

Yeah nah, I’m not gonna support an Adam Orth project.

9. racccoon says:

Until we master gravity we ain’t going to master space.