Far Cry Primal System Requirements Detailed

“Ugh, a system requirements post?” you groan. “Talk about scraping the bottom of the post-Christmas barrel…” and I grab you by the ear, throw you to the ground, and stand over you yelling: LISTEN, YOU DREADFUL LITTLE SNOT, ONLY TWELVE THOUSAND YEARS SEPARATE US TODAY FROM THE FACTUAL, HISTORICAL EVENTS OF FAR CRY PRIMAL [OFFICIAL SITE] AND EVERYTHING YOU HAVE IS BUILT UPON THAT TOIL OF MILLENNIA. WITHOUT THEM, YOU WOULDN’T BE HERE WHINING THAT ‘HOVERBOARDS’ DON’T HOVER. YOU WILL APPRECIATE EVERY OUNCE OF TECHNOLOGY AT YOUR DISPOSAL.

I mean, you could just pop on over to the Ubisoft blog for Primal’s minimum and recommended spec, but here I’ll patronise you so…

First off, 64-bits. No ifs, no buts. If you can’t accept that, you’re done here.

On the minimum end of the CPU scale, you’ll need an Intel Core i3-550 or AMD Phenom II X4 955 sort of a thing. That i3 processor fits 382 million transistors into eight square centimetres. We didn’t even properly have transistors until 1947, and now you can fit millions in your pocket. At the recommended end, you’ll find a i7-2600K or FX-8350.

Graphically, the minimum is a GeForce GTX 460 or Radeon HD 5770 (or equivalent) with 1GB of RAM, while a GTX 780 or R9 280X would be recommended. Look at this screenshot of a dog. If you wanted to see a not-real dog way back in the day, this was as good as it got. Even only one thousand years ago, this was it. Looking at not-real dogs in the comfort of your home has never been better.

RAM-wise, we’re talking 4GB minimum and 8GB recommended. Back in the days Primal recreates, people hadn’t even invented numbers. We’d carve notches as tallies, which was a sensible start, but when it came to writing those tallies down in a book or entering them into a computer, we were stuck. Do those seven notches represent five or eighty-nine? No one could say, because we didn’t have numbers.

Yadda yadda, 20GB hard disk space, yadda yadda keyboard mouse controller, and here we are back in the present day.

Far Cry Primal is due on March 1st. Here’s a look at it from a recent dev livestream:

Now say “Thank you, Alice. I now appreciate the majesty of the Intel Core i7 processor. I’d forgotten that we used to do counting with stones or our fingers or, worse, our heads – and that counting didn’t even calculate mip-mapping. Truly, you have given me a new lease on life. But couldn’t you have made this a bit more A Christmas Carol-y? ’tis the season, after all, and you could’ve done something funny with minimum spec for Christmas Past, recommended for Christmas Present, and my miserable death for Christmas Future. Yeah, that would’ve been a lot more ”

Get out.

1. Kefren says:

So Uplay isn’t a requirement? Yay!

• CameO73 says:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it does require Uplay

• anHorse says:

Nice to have a drm provider that hasn’t yet leaked my address to the world

• Jokerme says:

Whole world or possibly one person at worst? Dramatic much?

• Person of Interest says:

Instead, you get a DRM provider that backdoored your PC a while back.

Folks gotta understand that every additional widely-used, persistently-running program you add to your PC is not just another resource hog and source of annoying software updates, but a vector for malware hackers to infiltrate your system.

• Kefren says:

Ha ha, I thought it might! I’ll wait till the GOG version.
        (Sits down very patiently with a cup of cocoa.)

• frymaster says:

Assuming it’s anything like the previous games it’s going to have some multiplayer and/or mobile tie-ins. Of course a ubisoft game is going to use the ubisoft integration system given the above.

When the next Valve game comes out are you going to ask if it uses Steam?

• Apocalypse says:

You got quite the point. I really don´t get it that people ignore that those platforms offer frameworks for actualy functionality within the games. Online, friendlists, achievements, whatever … most of that stuff is part of the frameworks included in those platforms. DRM being just one thing of those frameworks.

I still would not get a origin game, simply because I actually do not like the package of that framework, but I surely can not blame them for using it. And I might be even unfair to EA, but hey, it is EA …

Besides that, uplay did improve a lot in the last few years, it still in many ways super silly and especially uptime of ubisoft servers is basically as good as valve servers while having a holiday sale … ;-)

• Kefren says:

Apocalypse – “Online, friendlists, achievements, whatever” – my issue is always that I don’t use any of those things so I don’t gain anything by using software that includes them. Of course, for those people that do use them I can see why it could be a feature rather than just a burden – I’m just speaking for myself.

• Spuzzell says:

It’s a different coloured tiny icon in your taskbar that changes how you start or play a game in exactly zero ways.

Please stop being so BORING.

• Kefren says:

My mistake. I assumed it also involved creating an account, sharing your name and email address with Ubisoft, installing extra software and so on.

• SuicideKing says:

Extra *incompetent software.

• Universal Quitter says:

Properly editing .txt files sometimes requires “downloading additional software,” so perhaps you can be more specific. Besides, outside of credit card information, you could just as well give them a name like “Ass Hattington.” Valve doesn’t give a damn.

Do your moral qualms extend to g-mail and yahoo, who have similar requirements for their free e-mail accounts, and in the case of yahoo, won’t let you make new accounts without a legitimate phone number that links to a real person?

• Kefren says:

The difference is that if I open a new email account, it’s because I want a new email account. If the gmail account also required me installing extra software (when I already have an email client on my PC) I’d refrain from opening a gmail account.

Actually Google now requires a phone number too. All as bad as each other. :-)

• Zenicetus says:

Not exactly zero, unless you’re not counting additional advertising I wouldn’t see just by using Steam.

I played Assassin’s Creed Syndicate recently, and discovered that Uplay now shows me a popup ad for a different Ubi game (the latest Anno title), *after* I close the game I’m playing. I have to click past that to actually finish closing the game.

I can handle advertisements for DLC on the launch screen. CA does that with the Total War series, Frontier does it with Elite Dangerous does it. But Syndicate with its current Uplay framework is the first time I’m seeing a popup ad after closing a game.

That’s just about enough to make me avoid the next game that uses Uplay. It will have to be awfully damned good to put up with seeing yet one more layer of advertisements in a game I’ve already paid full price for.

• Kefren says:

That is pretty cruddy.

• April March says:

But… Steam’s pop-up windows with ‘new in our store’ work exactly the same way. Are you sure this *cough* ‘feature’ can’t be disabled?

• frymaster says:

“But Syndicate with its current Uplay framework is the first time I’m seeing a popup ad after closing a game. ”

Steam does EXACTLY this. If you have Steam set to start on system startup, it doesn’t pop up an add when it starts (because that would be obnoxious) so it pops it up when you exit your first game instead.

2. aurious says:

*hug*

3. sebmojo says:

funny and good

you used to be my least favourite rps person, but now (b/c funny/good) you are not so YAY HAPPY NY

4. Ben Barrett says:

*leaves*

5. jakedrake says:

6. Severedmeds says:

Thank you, Overlord. I now appreciate the majesty of the double-barreled death ray. I’d forgotten that we used to do murdering with stones or our fingers or, worse, our heads – and that counting meters to your target in your head didn’t even calculate for wind speed or direction. Truly, you have given me a new lease on life. But couldn’t you have made this a bit more Shix’mah Muran-y? ’tis the season, after all, and you could’ve done something funny with minimum spec for Shix’mah Past, recommended for Shix’mah Present, and my miserable death for Shix’mah Future. Yeah, that would’ve been a lot more

7. normigrad says:

i like articles like this

• Phragmites says:

I think you’ll find that I’m the one who likes articles like this…

8. FreeTom says:

I’m entirely happy with system requirements posts. We can’t all afford to keep a PC at top-notch spec all the time and my CPU is starting to get a bit borderline.

It’ll run this, though. Woot!

9. Lord Byte says:

64 bits…. For the last 12 years there have only been 64 bit cpu’s. Anyone who thinks they need a 32 bit OS deserve every ounce of scorn possible. They’ve been single-handedly holding us back from actually using more than 4Gb of Ram in most games, because they refuse to let go of their idiotic preconceptions.

Qazinsky says:

Posts like these is why I always picture Alice as the big sister on RPS. Daddy John or other daddy Graham asks Alice to babysit us readers and Alice goes “Ugh, FINE!”

11. thedosbox says:

I am always amazed at how much humour Alice extracts from what would otherwise be recycled PR posts. Bravo.

12. mukuste says:

Ah, Alice. Good to have you back.

Also, those requirements seem fair enough. I guess!

• frymaster says:

Far Cry games have always been pretty, and, more importantly, pretty even on reduced settings.

13. badmothergamer says:

Well done Alice. Thank you for putting a smile on my face this morning. :)

14. aircool says:

Who are they kidding? We all know that rec-specs are the min-specs these days.

Min-specs are just what’s needed to get the game running like a slideshow.

Do EA still use 1280×720 as the benchmark resolution for their rec-specs still?

15. SuicideKing says:

I like how the last two sys reqs from Ubisoft and Square Enix have made sense, and the intel-amd equivalents have actually been equivalent. This game should be well optimised.

Fun article too!

16. Det. Bullock says:

I wonder why this game doesn’t require a 2GB video card and can work with 4GB of system RAM while the new Tomb Raider seems to eat huge slabs of RAM, I just hope they overstated RoTTR requirements as my brother really wanted to play it and the first seemed to run just fine on his laptop.

17. Cross says:

Is it just me paying the game no attention, or had Ubi been restrained with the marketing this one? It seems to me they might think the game’s a turd, and thus doing a self-fulfilling no-marketing prophecy.

18. Cronstintein says:

This looks like Skyrim without the RPG elements. Trading guns for first-person melee seems like a downgrade compared to the other Farcry titles.

Qazinsky says:

On the one hand, I can totally see and agree with what you’re saying, lack of different firearms can get boring quickly.

On the other hand, the eternal game-optimist in me remembers Dying Light and Mount & Blades melee systems and hope that more companies try to get a more solid melee gameplay working in their games. Because I cannot see one button cinematic melee kills working very well in a game more focused on melee than the earlier Far Cries.

Maybe the next Far Cry will have firearms AND a good melee system? Maybe place it in a setting where both firearms and melee is viable, like post-apocalyptic or earlier in history where firearms is realtively new but preferable better than flintlocks, but many still use melee?

19. C0llic says: