Rainbow Six Siege Patch 1.2 Addresses Tick Rate Issue

I’ve been having a rollicking good time with Ubisoft’s cops-versus-other-cops game Rainbow Six Siege [official site] over the past few weeks, but if you were to take a cross-section of random internet people’s opinions you might think I was the only one having fun. Complaints, complaints, complaints, as far as the eye can see, and all centered around one stat: tick rate.

Well you can stop complaining, or at least find a different excuse. Patch 1.2 fixes the issue.

If you’ve spent the last month not browsing the Rainbow Six Siege subreddit, let me fill you in. Tick rate is a measurement of how often your computer and a server communicate with each other to update your position. It’s measured in hertz, or “times per second.” In other words, a “10 tick server” updates at 10 Hz or ten times per second.

With me so far? Great. Higher tick rates are better because they update more frequently and thus give a more accurate picture of the battlefield. Low tick rate can lead to problems where, for instance, you’ve disappeared around a corner but someone still shoots you because the server doesn’t know you made it into cover. It’s frustrating.

Most shooters land around 50 Hz, or fifty times per second. Top-tier competitive Counter-Strike is played on 128-tick servers. Rainbow Six Siege launched with 30-tick servers and—for whatever reason—a Reddit rumor started that they were actually 10-tick servers.

Either of those would be abnormally slow for a high-stakes game like Siege where a single bullet can mean the difference between life and death. People were upset.

The good news is that as of yesterday’s patch 1.2, all regions are running on 60-tick servers. A few regions had already been bumped, but now it’s official. And you can even set your preferred data center, though you’ll currently have to go outside the game to do it.

Whether we’ll see an end to the complaints? I doubt it. Not yet, anyway. Given the issues I’ve seen in matchmaking, I have a sneaking suspicion tick rate’s been used as a scapegoat for some actual, deeper issues with the game’s netcode. But to be honest, I don’t really care—I’m having fun with the game regardless.

Other than tick rate, patch 1.2 is just miscellaneous improvements and bug fixes. “Refining the quality of PVP matches with more evenly matched opponents,” “Increased match quality by ensuring players using the same data center get matched together, leading to better ping,” and so on, though there are still plenty of issues Ubisoft plan to address in the near future.

1. The_Player says:

Nope, it’s still not very good.

• Banks says:

Indeed, and I feel that It’s going to take a while. The netcode is still really bad and It often makes the game unplayable.

Let’s hope that they fix this before the community fades away.

• go4brendon says:

It’s a great game definatley not for rookie gamers. I don’t get what all the fuss about tickrate is it works fine.

2. HeavyStorm says:

Heck, I wish I was having as much fun as some people claim to be having. So far, I think the game fall short on it promises: characters skills are mostly useless and people still play it as if it was a simple shooter, without any strategy.

• Gibster says:

I’m sorry but I can’t disagree more. When I play atleast, it’s the people who run around like it is CoD or Battlefield who go first, not checking corners and general lack of awareness.

• Eggman says:

No offense but those are the comments of someone who hasn’t played the game very much/doesn’t understand it/isn’t good at it.

• DemonSeed says:

I also can’t disagree more I’ve played a lot of games and 95% of them are people that know what there doing or try to know what they’re doing (they know what they’re doing but they aren’t good)

3. Kitsunin says:

Well I do very much enjoy the game itself, and heck, I haven’t had problems with lag! However the matchmaking has been quite poop. Half the time it jumps all over the place in the process and can take several minutes to actually get me into a game.

To be fair half the time it does well, and if you quit matchmaking and re-enter when it’s acting up, it usually gets you into a game fast after that. Which would be fine if the rounds didn’t frequently last no longer than five minutes, and you didn’t have to re-queue after every single one. Because of this it’s barely worth the effort, especially when stomps are so dang common.

4. anHorse says:

I got killed by a guy who hadn’t walked around a corner before

No noticeable lagginess or anything, I was just sitting in my well set up defence and then I died.
    Replay showed the guy walking around the corner and slowly aiming at me.

It’s only been that one time though, other than that the game has been fine and really fun although I’ve only played a few hours thanks to christmas stuff and other games taking up all my time

5. Synesthesia says:

Does the local RPS ARMA crew play this? I’d be up for some properly organized matches, with my terrible southamerican ping and all.

• DemonSeed says:

Most matches are decently organized if you communicate with your team

6. C0llic says:

This is a good game, improvements are welcome. I haven’t played much pvp, so I haven’t noticed these issues much. We have had nights of constants drops in Terrorist Hunt, which I hope they are looking into.

Lets hope they keep up the good work, and don’t kill the game with bad business practices. Fingers crossed.

7. Cross says:

One of my funniest ever games of R6S was yesterday when we ended up on a server that absolutely horrifically rubberbanding. It was a struggle to get there, but you could waltz in, take the hostage and rubberband right back out.