What Are We All Playing This Weekend?

Oh, right, weekends. They’re like holiday, only they’re shorter and feeling slightly grim because of that. Are you having fun this weekend? You’re not wasting it, are you? Are you having fun? Are you bettering yourself? Are you wasting the weekend? Are you having fun? Are you blowing it? Are you squandering it? Do you even deserve weekends? You probably don’t. I’ll take them away if you can’t justify yourself. Tell me: what are you playing this weekend?

Adam: [Adam’s silence speaks volumes. He knows this is a terrible trick, one he should certainly not acknowledge. Well played, Adam. Well played. You’ve certainly won this little game.]
Alec: Right now I’m in the middle of playing ARPG Grim Dawn, what with it being content complete and my wanting to see whatever big beasties it hurls at me in its final stages. ARPGs can get rather numbing if played in too-long stretches though, so I’m feeling the urge to exercise parts of my brain other than the lizard section. So I reckon I might spend some time with Vertex Meadow, which Alice introduced us to in RPS team chat (as a break from our all screaming ‘oh god now this is broken’ as a result of a routine CMS update). 2D images made into 3D worlds? That is a beautiful, beautiful dream. Praying for a VR update, me.
Alice: I’ve also been fiddling with Vertex Meadow, trying to create some kind of cool foresty pondy thing. This was going to be a big surprise, so when I posted about Vertex Meadow next week I could pretend I’d just tossed it off, but I suppose that’s ruined now. I’ll also be playing Isaac, same as ever, and… other things? I’ve got so many half-finished games I want to knock out. Also, I’ll be roaming around actual proper trees, hills, and water. I spent a lot of my holiday around hills, remembering that I both like hills and am a touch afraid of heights – good times!
Graham: I want to play Pony Island, but I’m not sure I’ll make time. I spent little of the Christmas break playing, but a fair amount of it reading other people’s Games of the Year lists. I found a few games on those lists that I hadn’t played, mostly on console and mobile, and so I’ll probably end up spending the weekend dabbling at Prune and Love Live! and Lifeline and You Must Build A Boat and maybe Box Boy on 3DS.
John: [Adam may be canny about not answering, but John… John’s fallen in love with the hunt. Every Monday morning in the RPS treehouse, he reads all your sightings of him and giggles. He throws his hands up in the air, laughing “Yes! Yes that was me making a puppet out a dead swan!” or wailing “But how did they see clinging to the underside of the number 5 bus playing slide whistle?”. So tell me: where have you seen John?]
Philippa: You’ve probably guessed, but this weekend I will still be in attendance at the Smite World Championships. That means I’ll be watching other people playing rather than playing anything myself, although if I had any downtime between matches there’s a little Hi-Rez Expo they’ve set up in one of the venue halls so I could theoretically play some of the games – maybe a bit of Paladins or their mobile game, Jetpack Fighter?

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. ran93r says:

Just preloaded Dragons Dogma on Steam, that might be about as much action as I see this weekend, although I might fire up Syndicate for some Victorian stabby stabby if I get a spare half hour.

• Jediben says:

I shall be farming Hazardous Resource Sites in Elite Dangerous to try to make back insurance costs, after a pvp encounter with an elite wanted pilot in a FAS went wrong.

• bit.bat says:

Dragons Dogma is great, enjoy (when it comes out)!

• ran93r says:

This is a triple dip for me, having owned the original and DA on the PS3. Quite looking forward to trying something completely different, MA perhaps, after maining Assassin on the consoles. Friday can’t come soon enough.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

When I played I re-rolled my character a few times and I found Magic Archer to be the most fun class to play as. Certainly one of the most well rounded. You get both magic spells and ranged attacks plus you can still run up onto a griffon to stab its wings off if need be.

2. lowprices says:

Carrying on with Undertale, and enjoying its complex web of emotions, tricks and double-bluffs.

Also Steamworld Heist on the 3DS. Gosh it’s good. You guys have got something to look forward to when it arrives on PC.

3. Sorbicol says:

Endless Legend between watching preview videos of XCOM2. Ooooooooooh. It looks so good……..

Dorga says:

I’ll try to finish Wolfenstein: the new orange (I jut happened to notice how beautiful Blazckowicz’s hands are!) and play a bit of Witcher.

5. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Santa brought me Bloodborne and now I can’t leave Yharnam. Send help!

• Koozer says:

This weekend I have been murdered by Father Gasgoine many, many times. Can’t wait to finish the game sometime in 2018.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

He’s an arse isn’t he. I basically bled the preceding areas dry to level up character, weapons and buy some better gear before taking him on. Still took a good few attempts. I’m probably twice as far in as you, so still a very long way to go. Took me 2 years to complete Dark Souls 2 and even longer for DS1 so 2018 sounds about right! Best of luck my friend.

6. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Oh and John has been playing Space Rangers 2, as instructed. Whilst glamping in the abyssal plain, according to a taxi driver who dropped him off there.

7. Blackcompany says:

Elite: Dangerous/Horizons. Way out in the Black of Deep Space. Maybe headed for the galactic core; maybe somewhere else. Just exploring and listening to Sidewinder Radio.

Occasionally playing Eurotruck sim 2 again as well. Found a nice bunch of mods and really enjoying it again.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

There are a bunch of cool things that are still undiscovered, like a super small ( 1 system wide ) nebula with a blackhole that i found 3k light years away from the core.

It looked quite obvious, yet it was still virgin, so if you ever need any incentive to trudge on, know that off the beaten path you might find yourself discovering only fresh things, especially if you actively avoid most points of interest and if you can jump further than the average explorer ( over 35 ly ).

I still didn’t make it to Elite though, even with 130 millions gained in exploration. This game is evil.

8. dangermouse76 says:

There will be no gaming this weekend. This weekend is for seeing old friends eating Irish stew and sipping whiskey.
    Good luck in your alternate universes comrades.May your RAM be fast fast and your latency low.

9. Pich says:

Finished Tales from the Borderlands, then i guess i’m gonna hit my head again against Dark Souls II (the first one was much better imo).

• klo3 says:

Also playing DaSII now, and completely agree. About 10h in and now familiar with the slightly changed game-play.

It’s a great game for sure but it almost fully lacks the magic that the other soulborne games, DaS in particular, have.

• Immobile Piper says:

Care to elaborate on DS v DS2?

• klo3 says:

I’ll try but please bear in mind that I’m only ten hours into DaSII and might have a bias as I consider DaS the greatest game ever made.

For me it’s the atmosphere, architecture and level design, acting and music which all lack in comparison to DaS. DaS is much more coherent and much more ‘crafted’ than DaS. Every single enemy, voice over and level seems to be there for a purpose. It has very little filler compared to DaSII.

Even visually DaSII pales to DaS where every hue is carefully considered, not to mention the animations which are in DaS are a thing of acrobatic beauty where in DaSII it seems like your character should seriously consider visiting the loo before continuing the adventure.

Comparing the first two areas:
        In DaS you constantly progress higher on majestic ruins to vantage points where the grand scale of the map is gradually revealed. You encounter a majestic dragon and radiant soul with a poetic affinity with the sun.
        In DaSII you navigate some mess of ruins, rooftops and tree branches from a tower that doesn’t even seem like a tower and the NPCs’ dialogues only seem like sorry excuses of the quality we’re used to from DeS ans DaS.

Comparing two characters:
        After carefully progressing forward with your shield up ready to take on whatever is the source of that menacing pounding you encounter Andre – a gentle soul who radiates strength and who seems to genuinely care about you where as Leningrast is a weird ogre(!) with mediocre lines and annoying looping animations that only serves to make the character more shallow.

Perhaps the weirdest thing is the way DaSII seemingly is like DaS but ends up feeling like an impostor due to small changes (UI, animation, lack of rag dolls and the weird animations) and the fact that the game recycles lots of content like weapons, icons and bosses. Kind of like an uncanny valley effect if you will.

10. Yachmenev says:

Trying to beat the last couple of levels of the lovely Pixeljunk Shooter Ultimate. An absolutely fantastic game, that keeps throwing new stuff your way throughout the whole game.

It’s a shame that it seems to sell beyond poorly on Steam, it has something like 1500 copies sold according to Steamspy. It’s the complete package of a retro game with modern influences and a fantastic soundtrack.

link to youtube.com

I want it to sell better, because I still want Pixeljunk Shooter Sidescroller on PC. :\

11. lglethal says:

This weekend is about finishing up some older games on my laptop as i start building a brand new spanker of a PC next week (bought the last parts for it last night woot!). Next week will be spent putting the damn thing together, and then a week of constantly complaining about not getting windows install to work, not getting all drivers working together, not getting games to install correctly, etc. So hopefully by next weekend I can start gaming again and actually play some games that were made in the last 2 years at anything above LOW graphics settings. Looking forward to seeing some ULTRA graphics settings on my favourite games! :)

john_silence says:

Every week-end everyone chimes in and it’s moderately interesting what they’re going to play, but in your case I’m genuinely interested in what you’ll be playing and the difference it makes.
      Anyway – again, enjoy ;)

• lglethal says:

Thanks John!

I’m really looking forward to trying some of my most atmospheric games out on the new box – Watch_dogs, Thief, the Batman Arkham series, Mirrors Edge. With full graphical settings available I expect to be blown away with the way the cities just look!
        I’m also really looking forward to reloading L.A. Noire, to see the effect on the facial expressions. Its highly underrated as a game in my opinion, and making the people look even more real can only be a good thing.
        Finally, whilst I’m not expecting huge differences, I am also interested at looking at the difference I get in games like Total War Rome 2, and Tropico 5. Whilst I know graphical fidelity isnt the reason we play those games, It will be interesting to see if I get any more enjoyment out of them (or less perhaps) from seeing things in just that bit more detail. :)

I cant wait!!! :D

12. DizzyCriminal says:

I’m going to be playing the browser based game “Taxes Wot Need Returning to the bastards at the HMRC” I’ve heard it’s ultra gritty and realistic but with lo-fi graphics and a minimalist story.

• LennyLeonardo says:

That’s in my backlog, but I think I’ll revisit Dishonoured first.

• Vacuity729 says:

Hah, I finished my 2015 taxes on Thursday morning due to needing to sort stuff out with my working visa. One week into the new year and I’ve already filed my taxes for the last one. At least it’s not hanging over my head?

• melnificent says:

Apparently there is a nonoptional court trial mod if you don’t finish it by the competition close date.

13. Agnosticus says:

Rocket league! I know, I know, I’m late on the hype train but the game is just great!

Some Tabletop Sim: We’ve found out that the Legendary Encounter games are even better than the offline ones, because sorting the cards is MUCH easier.

Maybe some Kopanito All-Stars Soccer: The devs are up to something great with that little game, but it’s still in EA and missing some features.

14. gabrielonuris says:

Aliens vs Predator (2010), right now on my second playthrough, Alien campaign… Damn, how I could wait 6 years to play one of my favorite FPS. Oh, and its MP is inexplicably great, it’s like Evolve, except it’s actually awesome.

Talking of MP, maybe I’ll play a couple matches of America’s Army too, can’t believe it’s free (not f2p, as in p2w, I mean actually, literally free).

• Agnosticus says:

AA is propaganda and a recruiting tool of the US army that’s why it’s free…

• gabrielonuris says:

Propaganda or not, I find it better, funnier and even more “tactical” than CS, Insurgency or even Squad. Not that I’m going to enlist myself anyway, I’m not even american, lol!

• TheBuff1 says:

I was a mass AvP (classic 2000) fan but completely bounced off the 210 remake. Should I give it another go?? Plus are there peeps still playing MP on it??!

• gabrielonuris says:

You should give it a go, it has the same mechanics as the classic one, plus prettier graphics. I can’t understand why it was so underrated when it was released.

About the MP, yes, you still find people to play. It has a lot of empty servers, but everytime I pick one I see another player come in, and then another one, until it’s full of people playing.

• Zach Fett says:

Man, I haven’t played AvP 2010 in a while. Such an excellent game, I really wish it had done better with the critics. It had really good multiplayer but died pretty quickly (on Xbox 360, at least) since it received mediocre scores.

I hope we get a new AvP soon, maybe Monolith will come back and do another? I really enjoyed their AvP2.

Is anyone playing AvP 2010 online? I’d totally re-install it if a good amount of people have come back to the game.

I remember buying all the DLC and only getting to play one of the maps a single time, and maybe only two people were with me in that match? So sad. The DLC maps looked damn good, too. I used to explore them by myself in a lonely server.

• gabrielonuris says:

Well, the dlc maps are pretty empty, yes, at least on the PC version. But with the vanilla game you still find some people to play, and as I said above, you can enter on an empty server and just see it grow in numbers.

15. Vacuity729 says:

I’m playing “The Deadline Was On Friday, But The Boss Hasn’t Asked To See The Work Yet” all weekend, I think. Not even sure I’ll get any sleep before I get home from work on Monday.

I most definitely hate this game, yet somehow I can’t seem to avoid it this time.

caff says:

I think I might dedicate this weekend to catching up on some freeware games and really “indie” stuff.

Plus I’ll probably play more Rocket League because ADDICTION.

17. Cinek says:

At the moment – unreal engine. A little bit of Life is Strange in between.

18. TheBuff1 says:

Hopefully going to be starting a campaign in Wings Over Flanders Fields after picking it up at Xmas. Not really experienced with flight sims but hopefully WW1 planes are not that complex to fly!

19. Mirqy says:

Bit of Rimworld, bit of meatspace Legend of the Five Rings, maybe some Pandemic Legacy. Also coffee.

20. Wellzy4eva says:

Torn between continuing Tales from the Borderlands (up to episode 2) and Life is Strange (episode 1). I’ll probably end up watching Netflix and playing Freedom Wars on the PS Vita.

21. OmNomNom says:

I will be mostly playing the review code for XCOM 2

22. aircool says:

GTA V again, from the start. Plus watching the FA cup of course.

23. Monggerel says:

SpiceTheCat says:

Wondering whether the increasing unreliability of my 3-year-old work laptop justifies buying a replacement, which entirely coincidentally will be able to run XCOM 2. Also Invisible Inc., because there are still more toys and agents to play with. Maybe II. would be smoother on an entirely hypothetical new machine too? /ponders business case.

25. Sinner6 says:

Solo: Shadowrun-Dragonfall. What a nice surprise this turned out to be.
    Multi: Co-op Rainbow Six: Siege. Another pleasant surprise.

• Bone says:

Ah Dragonfall… I’m curious, what difficulty are you playing on? I just deinstalled SR: Dragonfall after I’d soldier through about half it’s campaign, but then got so frustrated with the still utterly broken cover system so I was forced to lower the difficulty just one level. Then it was way too easy so didn’t bother to play on. Such a shame, didn’t have any major gripes with it other than those two.

26. Stormcrow says:

I’ll be playing some War Thunder when I have time. I have recently fallen in love with their tank battles. Great fun although I could do with some company.

27. welverin says:

Finally got around to playing Destiny some, but mostly it will be AC Syndicate with some Evolve and TF2 sprinkled in, and maybe some LfD2 (a friend just uploaded a new campaign I need to try out).

Grizzly says:

I’m playing HEEELLLDIIIVEERS with a few other RPS acolytes and am currently revisiting Kentucky Route Zero, playing a CK2 campaign, playing an Empire: Total War campaign and going for the full 100% thing on Far Cry 3.

29. Sarfrin says:

Seeking a moment of inner peace in a life of hectic parenting, John attempted full lotus this week. He is currently awaiting reconstructive surgery in a specialist hospital in Neasden.

30. Person of Interest says:

DiRT Rally: after struggling for a few weeks to place better than 4th, I’ve turned a corner (heh) and am getting some 1st-place finishes against the AI.

Also playing lots of games vicariously via Awesome Games Done Quick. On Reddit someone has posted direct links to the Twitch recording for every speedrun.

31. Zach Fett says:

Just got my very first 144hz monitor yesterday and spent hours tweaking it, so now this weekend I’ll be testing out games on it. I’ve only ever played on my HDTV (well, I played on monitors pre-2006) so this is all pretty new for me!

Tried Battlefield 4 out on it, felt really nice! I just bought Dirt Rally the other day and haven’t had a chance to try it with the new screen yet. That’ll be fun. Excellent game too, just with I could do multiplayer in more than just Rallycross.

I bought Bedlam over the Steam Winter Sale, I’ll need to try that out. Been really wanting to play it since I saw someone stream the first ten minutes or so.

I also beat the campaign of Sleeping Dogs (finally) earlier this week, but I want to 100% it so I may tackle that this weekend as well.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Started playing Dark Souls again because I hate myself or something.

I will probably play a couple rounds of Rocket League and a couple floors in Dungeons of the Endless as is standard for me.

I should probably try figuring out how traffic works in Cities Skyline as well.

Philopoemen says:

No games this weekend – just finished playing “help evacuate the town”, whilst the firies try to put out the monster fire that’s bearing down on the South West of Australia.

• csbear says:

Be careful out there!!

• csbear says:

My in-laws live in San Diego, CA, and my wife and I are all too familiar with the “we have to evacuate our home” call. Good luck and be safe!

34. rahji says:

Metal Gear Solid 4 – great game with excellent stealth gameplay. All the staff from the previous 3 games comes together and forms a superb story (so far).

And some runs of Afterbirth of course.

35. Det. Bullock says:

Trying to complete the Wing Commander Saga fan game, I’ve played it on and off for two years and I finally seem to be near the end, usually being this long would be a benefit but the game largely uses the same boring mission design as the original Wing Commanders (go to NAV X, shoot stuff, on to NAV Y, shoot more stuff, rinse and repeat), having grown up with Tie Fighter I tended to find having three or four LONG patrol missions in a row quite boring so I tended to abandon it for weeks at a time with the exception of the Longbow missions because I like offing capital ships with a well aimed torpedo up their engines at close range.
    What makes the game is the comm chatter (entirely voice acted) and the occasional cutscene, though the comm chatter can be repetitive when you are trying the same mission for the third time.

Speaking of Tie Fighter, I’ve been playing it on Normal for five months and as usual I’ve reached the highest rank in both the official imperial hierarchy and the secret order well before the end (which is still farif I remember correctly, I’m at the Prelude to Endor battle), I didn’t remember this much story throughout the game (mostly it’s through briefing/debriefing but still) and it’s rare to see the same type of mission more than twice in a row and usually there is some weird secondary goal that spices things up a bit, it’s telling that the 100+ missions of this game feel less than the fifty-something of the aforementioned Wing Commander Saga.

Also, Dark Souls, apart from an ill fated early trip to the tomb of giants I don’t find it THAT difficult especially considering the fact that the games lets you grind and farm at your own leisure and there are a couple of good weapons that can be obtained early.

• ZippyLemon says:

Dark Souls was never difficult. It says it right on the back of the box: PREPARE TO DIE. You will die. And then you will learn. That is how the game works.

Of course that’s a bit hard to convey in under an hour at a press event, so every journalist who saw it came away with the salient point “it’s difficult because I saw the presenter die to a big enemy that wasn’t a boss”. And if the entire media repeats something often enough, it becomes a marketing pillar.

• Chaoslord AJ says:

With this definition so is playing the guitar, brain surgery and ballet.
        If you’re a bad learner it’s difficult.
        If someone is used to modern games it’s difficult.
        At least it requires constant concentration in some parts and practice unlike 90% of releases.

• fish99 says:

There’s definitely some hard boss fights that can kill you repeatedly, like OnS, Artorias, Manus etc. As Chaoslord says some people learn quicker than others.

36. ZippyLemon says:

Battlefront 2 and KotOR 1, mostly, while I wait for the components of my FIRST EVER GAMING PC to come into stock and/or be delivered. Surprisingly great dogfighting on BF2.

Oh also Grim Fandango Remastered. Against my better judgement I am going to try chapter 3 without a walkthrough, though maaaaan, adventure game puzzles are a stupid back and forth waste of time obstacle to enjoying the stupendous writing and music. There I said it. But good god is this game a delight. I am 21, my childhood squarely placed in the era in which graphics sold games. Playing a game with such a wonderful narrative and slick dialogue is a revelation.

37. Kitsunin says:

Finally finished Seq…Before the Echo. But I haven’t unlocked the bonus floor yet, and I’ve fought the damn monster with a 14% drop about 20 times now. Like seriously I’m going freaking crazy, especially because all the other prism pieces fell into my lap.

That being almost done, I’d really like to play There Came an Echo now, but it seems my mic is a little too shit for the game to handle my voice commands, which really, really sucks.

• Kitsunin says:

Oh and I’m finally having game nights! Problem is I usually wind up with 5-7 people, and I haven’t got many board games good for such a group. The Resistance is a blast and Jackbox has been super successful, but I really need more. I’m thinking of getting Formula D because it seems pretty adaptable, although oof, that price. Any other recommendations?

• Agnosticus says:

Seems like you’re looking for party games, so I’d recommend these:

– Keep talking and nobody explodes: it’s a mix between a board game and a video game. Great fun!
        link to youtube.com

– Another party game classic is “Werewolves”, but you’ll need 8+ people.
        link to boardgamegeek.com

-Sheriff of Nottingham, or Dixit

• Kitsunin says:

I think KTaNE would be too cramped with a group of more than 3, and while I’d love to play party games like Werewolf & Two Rooms and a Boom, I haven’t managed to get beyond 8 people yet (and if I could reliably get 8, then we could just split into two groups playing 4 player games, which kind of fixes the problem). Still, Dixit’s a great suggestion.

Captain Narol says:

For 8 people, I would strongly recommand “The Great Dalmuti” and “Saboteur”, both games are easy to learn but deep and fun with lots of players !

• Kitsunin says:

Saboteur looks pretty neat! Especially with the expansion.

I think I have a pretty good idea now, and will avoid Formula D (the price, plus I’m not so sure my group will dig it). I live in Taiwan so I’m kind of stuck with what the FLGS has in stock (shipping prices are untenable) but I’m gonna keep an eye out for Ca$h ‘n Guns, Mascarade, Space Cadets: Dice Duel, Dixit: Odyssey, Saboteur, Codenames, and BANG! The Dice Game.

38. Grobmotoriker says:

Guns Gore and Cannoli, Helldivers and Gauntlet couch cooping
    with my son because I have to deviate him from his Team Fortress 2 addiction. Later DIRT Rally and Dark Souls 2:Scolar of the first sin because I love/hate games that have a good challenging/masochistic/rewarding balance.

39. Chaoslord AJ says:

Session 1: Euro Truck Simulator 2: profit hunter achievement
    Session 2: Dark Souls 2
    Session 3: Elder Scrolls online – much better than expected

Background: Adventure Capitalist, Crusaders of the Lost Idols

• cvaldivia93 says:

I’m playing “Should I purchase Elder Scrolls Online?”. Hoping that someone can helpfully nudge me in the proper direction.

• Koozer says:

If you’d like a traditional themepark MMO with an Elder Scrolls flavour then go for it! Combat and the skill-based XP gain is decent. If on the other hand you want a traditional Elder Scrolls game with aimless wandering and discovery then it’s not really for you.

• malkav11 says:

Though it’s closer than most other MMOs. The questing is fairly linear and level-gated, but there are treasures and skill shards and sometimes even dungeons and things off the beaten path for your exploring delight. And these days you can rob NPCs and such as well. And I think the skill system is a dozen times better than the singleplayer games.

particlese says:

Super-brief version: I think it fares really well as an MMO-flavoured Elder Scrolls game.

Less briefly: As long as you don’t mind people jumping all over the place, people being both awesome and non-awesome in chat (or simply muting chat), the occasional lore inconsistency, and general MMOeyness; and if you like the Elder Scrolls’ side-stories, PC-friendly UIs and relatively low jank factor (gasp!), pretty overworld sights (natural and architectural), and the general TES atmosphere, I’m pretty sure you’ll have fun with it. And if you like magic and pets and non-combative “stealthy” exploration…well, then, I recommend creating a sorcerer for your first character, which is the only class which can summon daedra. Anyone can sneak, but having those meatshields around can buy you a couple valuable, exciting seconds in higher-level areas, should you wander into a baddy. I was able to wander the Ebonheart Pact’s entire map this way, and that should hold for the others, too. The Aldmeri Dominion is arguably prettier, though, and has much more pleasant/funny characters from what I’ve played so far. I haven’t played much of the Daggerfall Covenant’s stuff. The sneaky class does let you turn invisible for a fee seconds, though, so that could also be good for sneaky exploration. Other classes are fun, too, like a “dragon knight” for thwacky goodness (not so good for sneaky getaways, unless one can use knockdown skills on high-level baddies), and the ever-popular “sneaky bow thief” for sneaky bow thieving.

The Borderer says:

I’m playing Don’t Vomit On Your Laptop in a ferry.

I will probably end up playing either Football Manager 2016, Euro Truck Simulator 2 or Crusader Kings 2 once I am somewhere with a more stable floor.

41. algolly says:

XCOM Long War mod. Absolutely gripping. Had to enable many easy options in Second Wave in order to survive. Frequent reloads (due to activating too many pods). XCOM2 will solve the frequent reload problem by letting me see the pods, but it sounds like it’s even harder.

• Horg says:

Judging from Beaglerush’s preview videos for XCOM 2, don’t worry, its not as hard as people seem to be fearing it will be. In terms of alien pod numbers and XCOM squad size, XCOM 2 is very similar to classic XCOM, with the exception of the reinforcement drops. You get a warning flare to tell you where they will appear though, so it’s vastly improved to the Thin Man over watch drop bullshit from classic. The aliens have more variety and more abilities, lifting most of the good ideas from Long War and adding some new stuff. To counter this and the increased number of aliens, your guys get more of everything, more abilities and consumables, more ways to act multiple times in a turn, etc. All of the maps are bigger than the XCOM average, so no more bullshit ”knife fight in a cupboard” maps like good ol’ murder street from XCOM. Rookies aren’t as feeble as they were in classic as you can give them modded weapons, as well as having more small item slots, so training new guys isn’t as awful as it used to be. Damage to health ratios seem to be more forgiving in XCOM 2, so you can expect a lot more wounds and a lot fewer one shots. Overall, my impression from the preview build is that XCOM 2 is only slightly harder than classic, but at the same time removes a lot of the unfair RNG and gives you more tactical options to work with.

42. PancakeWizard says:

The in-laws are imminent, so I won’t be playing much this weekend sadly. When I can, I’ll be working my way through the rather fun Arkham Knight. Great addition to the series (of which I enjoyed all of them), but shame about the development shenanigans.

43. JuergenDurden says:

hotline miami 2. it’s been sitting on my hard drive for months utterly unplayed cuz i knew the hypnotic “live- kill- die- repeat” would just suck me in like it did the first time.

i started yesterday. my addiciton is in full swing. i regret nothing.

44. FeloniousMonk says:

Having just finished up the DLC for TW3, I’ve got theoretical room in my life for another epic, sprawling RPG. I’ve got both Divinity: OS and Pillars of Eternity in my queue but it just feels like such a Massive Commitment that I keep ducking around in Frozen Cortex instead.

45. Leventhan says:

Underrail. On my third build, 80 hours and counting.

teije says:

Care to expand on your builds to date and your experience? Played it in EA and looking to get into it again now that its released.

46. Gibs says:

The Witcher 3 mostly and Elite Dangerous.

I will say… I’m actually playing W3 with a gamepad, how the feck do you guys turn the camera smoothly….

DelrueOfDetroit says:

It’s just a skill you pick up using a gamepad. Generally just treat the right stick like another button for your thumb. Do a dodge, position the camera where you need it and then do an attack or whatever needs to be done. It has been a while since I played W3 so I can’t remember if there is anything particularly wonky about its camera

Can you explain what trouble your having?

47. malkav11 says:

Got various stuff in the winter sale or earlier that I’d like to give a go before I listen to Giant Bomb’s GOTY deliberation podcasts. Undertale, for example. MGS V. A few other things. And then there’s currently in progress games that I’d like to someday finish, like ACIII, Dragon Age: Inquisition, etc. Realistically speaking, however, much of my weekend will probably be spent deep in the never-ending delights of Heroes of the Storm (I’m less than 12 games from that 10 day stimpack!) and/or Marvel Heroes 2015.

The latter is at least 50% about listening to podcasts while I do it, but it’s still a strong pull. Last weekend I got Ant-Man and Punisher up to max level, over the week got Juggernaut to max level and Iron Man to 47 or so. Plus experienced the pure murder that is a summoner-build max level Doctor Doom with a capped legendary. Things just melt, even in the cosmic terminals. I’d tended to sink down to red most of the time for tough terminals like AIM and Hydra and Doom, but with Doctor Doom I just plow through in a couple minutes.

teije says:

This weekend EUIV has sucked me in again to its timesink vortex. It does that every several months. The new expansions are in all pretty good and add some extra internal stuff. I’m also hoping to break free at times for a bit of Papers Please and This War of Mine.

49. Geebs says:

Soma, after it got mentioned in a bunch of best-of-year rundowns. I am a nervous wreck, and as far as I know I haven’t even been properly harrowed yet, just lightly hoed.