American Truck Simulator Gets A New Tractor-Trailer

There I was, sitting on a beach sipping a strawberry daiquiri, slowly turning my blindingly pale body to a shade befitting a sun god, when I got the call. It was Graham. “Hayden, please: We need you to come out of retirement,” he said. “There’s a new-ish trailer for American Truck Simulator [official site] but none of us have known how to write it up.”

“Say no more,” I replied.

After all, who better to judge American Truck Simulator’s pseudo-California than me, a person who lives in California? Nobody, that’s who.

This new trailer’s got it all: The jangly electronic dance music American kids are fond of, a shot of the Golden Gate Bridge, a trucker wildly pulling into a rest area because he ate too many 7-11 taquitos.

And uh…Las Vegas? Listen, I don’t mean to be the bearer of bad news but Las Vegas isn’t in California. I even double-checked it on the map:

Vegas is not in California, silly.

See those gray dashes? That (I think) indicates that Las Vegas is in a whole different state, which we Americans call “basically a barren wasteland” but which you Europeans can call Nevada.

Still, disregarding SCS Software’s apparent disregard for geography, my mind is racing with possibilities. When my upstart trucking company is on the verge of bankruptcy can I risk my last few dollars in Vegas for some emergency capital? Can I get drunk and bet my truck on a hand of blackjack? Can I do cocaine off my steering wheel? The possibilities are endless, folks.

American Truck Simulator releases on February 3, giving you just three weeks to import some of the aforementioned 7-11 taquitos for a more authentic experience.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Chillicothe says:

I didn’t know the Tengai Makyou people worked on this.

link to hardcoregaming101.net

2. Epicedion says:

I’ve never been to California, but I kind of like the music.

• sandineyes says:

I can’t tell if this is just a statement or a joke referencing a Three Dog Night song.

3. w0bbl3r says:

Looks great and all, but I was very disappointed to hear they are only doing California and a couple of trucks at launch.
    You know this will mean all map extensions will be paid DLC, meaning the full game will cost a LOT of cash.
    Hopefully trucks won’t be paid extra’s, and will be added as they obtain the license for them

• Rindan says:

One state down, 50 more DLC packs to go (I’m including Canada as a state)!

• Mokinokaro says:

Probably 47. I doubt they’d do Alaska or Hawaii.

• El Mariachi says:

Are you kidding? Okay, true, not a lot of long-haul trucking going on in Hawaii, but… Alaska? Haven’t you seen Ice Road Truckers? It already seems like some improbable video game scenario.

• Starlightpawa says:

Was thinking it could possible considering they developed 18 Wheels of Steel: Extreme Trucker I think

• Unsheep says:

Towards the end of Euro Truck 2 they did the same thing.
      The Scandinavian DLC/expansion cost $20 or so.

Each US state they plan to make for ATS will have at least the same size as the Scandinavia map, which mean you’ll have to a pay a lot of money if you want the complete game.
      Its the same business model as with the Train Simulator series, where the complete game will end up costing you hundreds of dollars.

I feel like reminding people that you can buy the older version of ATS – ’18 Wheels of Steel American Long Haul’ for just $10. Sure its got older graphics, but it still plays the same.

• Klatu says:

I agree that it has a ‘similar’ model to the TS series but it’s still not in the same, ahem, ballpark. TS’s add-ons cost £1000’s, I know, I added them to my Steam account one day out of idle curiosity. Then I un-added them really quickly.

4. El Mariachi says:

How would you do cocaine off a steering wheel?

That’s what the dashboard is for.

5. Universal Quitter says:

I actually got married in Vegas.

Even more damningly, I’ve also had 7-11 taquitos, more than once. I think I need to rethink my life.

6. Aspirant_Fool says:

I used to drive a truck, in America no less, and have been to/through Vegas once or twice. Travel Centers of America, or TA is one of the two biggest truck stop chains in the country. They all look more or less the same, though the further they are away from any major population center, the more the interiors look like scenes from a 70s grindhouse film.

One notable exception is the Las Vegas TA. When you walk in from the truck entrance, instead of seeing the store where they sell ratchet straps and log books and terrible heat-lamp warmed sandwiches, there’s a full bar facing the door, separated from the entering drivers by a carpeted floor filled with about a dozen casino table games. Driving a truck is a sometimes surreal occupation, and Vegas is an often surreal place. Their intersection was one of the most singularly bizzare days of my life.

Also, truckers don’t eat 7-11 taquitos, you either can’t get your truck into a 7-11, or it’s not on the way.

heretic says:

This Dingman fellow is fun to read :) write more I say!

8. Phasma Felis says:

Okay, the rest of the review is fine, but “jangly electronic dance music”? Did you link the wrong trailer by mistake? That’s a straight-up ’80s-style power ballad.

Honestly, I’m worried! RPS already thinks that anything electronic with a little bass is “dubstep.” If anything with a synth becomes “electronic,” you’re in serious danger of 95% of all music becoming “dubstep.” IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT?

9. Aphrion says:

I’d correct the humorous sentiment of Nevada being a wasteland like the sour, stoic pedant I am, but we did test nukes there…

• Mokinokaro says:

Most of Nevada sort of is. The state’s pretty empty for the most part once you leave Vegas/Boulder.

The rest of the populated areas are tourist traps and ranches.

• Jason Moyer says:

We also killed mutated geckos there.

10. lylebot says:

I’ve long been interested in Euro Truck Simulator, but as a console gamer, I have no platform to play it on.

I live in the U.S.

And I swear to god, every story I see about American Truck Simulator, my mind goes “oh finally it’s coming to my platform!”

Dear brain: your country of residence is not a gaming platform.

• Unsheep says:

Not trying to be an ass, I’m a multiplatform gamer who plays on both console and PC, but you don’t need a supercomputer to play these trucking games, and Steam is extremely easy to use. So if you are really interested why not consider it ?

It is unlikely they’ll appear on console. Some PC sims have, like Farming Simulator and Elite, but they are the exception rather than the rule.

I just think its a shame to miss out on a gaming experience if it something you are really interested in, especially since I’m quite a big fan of these trucking games, I’ve played most of them. There’s unfortunately nothing like them on console.

• TWChristine says:

To kind of echo what Unsheep said, this computer is probably 10 years old now, and I myself have had it for 8. I got it at a pawn shop for around $500Can, and I’m finally getting to the point that some games I want to play, I won’t be able to. For instance, I can do Skyrim and ETS2 with everything maxed and I might get an occasional hickup, but for the most part it’s smooth. So what am I getting at? If you look around, you should be able to get a really decent computer for cheap/around the price of a console, and it’ll open up a huge amount of more games for you.

11. apa says:

I’ll be in LA in March. Are these 7-11 taquitos something I should eat there? Or stick with the strawberry daiquiri?

• wishforanuclearwinter says:

They’re not something you should seek out, but if you happen to be in a 7-11 with an empty stomach and no time to seek out other food establishments they are not an awful option: ready to eat, hearty, and very cheap.

As for the game, I might get it solely for the mild thrill of seeing my hometown of Oakland recreated in a video game.

• Boomerang says:

Don’t get too excited about anything being recreated – the locations in these games are at best a rough approximation, with the occasional recognisible building/landmark, sadly.

• jonahcutter says:

No. Eat no prepared food from 7-11. You’d be better off drinking strawberry daiquiris until you’re projectile vomiting than eating any of the heat-lamped delicacies on offer at 7-11.

LA has more great taco stands, food trucks and Mexican restaurants than you could ever possibly eat at. Go to one of those.

12. minichair says:

I spent half this article thinking it was an article about a new truck in this game, only to realize that’s not the kind of “trailer” you meant.

13. mpk says:

I’d be far more interested in Australian Road Train Simulator. Granted, the scenery might vary from ‘Desert’ to ‘Mostly desert with some bushes’, but at the least there’d be the opportunity for a minigame where your truck could break down 4000 miles from the nearest garage and you died of a mix of starvation, exposure and kangaroo bites.

• jonahcutter says:

My fine understanding of zoology points to kangaroos generally boxing people to death.

And I just realized there’s not a single kangaroo in any of the 4 Mad Max films, nor the game. Obviously none of them actually take place in Australia after all.

• Unsheep says:

There is an Australian map in the game ’18 Wheels of Steel Extreme Trucker 2′, by the same devs of American/Euro Truck Simulator: link to scssoft.com

• RabbitIslandHermit says:

I mean, minus the kangaroo bites (and OK, slightly less than 4000 miles ’til), that could absolutely happen in the vast vacant desert stretches of CA/AZ/NV.

14. Synesthesia says:

As much as I love this game, I’d love to know: Is this just a reskinned version of ETS2? I would love some reworkings of the metagame, and maybe (and I know this might be asking too much) deeper simulated systems?

15. KastaRules says:

This title has me excited, I love those American big rigs and wide roads… can’t wait !!!

I hope they implement floating gears tho

16. badmothergamer says:

I hope they don’t accurately simulate LA traffic. Otherwise this will be “Stuck on the 5 Simulator”.

Llewyn says:

They didn’t for Europe (astonishingly we have traffic here too) so you should be fine.

• Unsheep says:

I don’t know, there were times where the traffic AI bugged out in ETS2 and refused to move when the light was green, and there were traffic jams holding me up in some of the cities. Again, I think this had more to do with the AI than anything else.
        These things only happened on a few occasions though and is hence not representative of the game, but I did come across them nonetheless.

In any case you are right, their city models are very generous when it comes to traffic.

I hope people have realistic expectations though, and don’t expect 100% accuracy and fidelity in the city models. I’d hate to see the game downgraded because people were uninformed or plain ignorant of the facts available to them.

• RabbitIslandHermit says:

I was in Southern California for Xmas, albeit San Diego area rather than LA. Most of it was spent on the 5 and the 78. I do not understand how people put up with the driving. I’m pretty sure I could go literally anywhere in the Twin Cities Metro Area (where I live) in as much time as it took me to get to the next exurb over.

17. bit.bat says:

I would love it if they made a game like this based on one large city rather than smaller interconnected ones. Navigating smaller streets with all the obstacles that that entails was one of the more fun aspects of ETS2 for me but the cities were way too small. The cities do look bigger this time though which is good!

18. Reapy says:

I know it’s like, truck simulator and all that, but, same as euro truck 2 has me thinking, all this terrain of the ‘real world’ and highways around the world, when do we get to have a racing game with more of that?

I think what test drive did with hawaii was great, and it would be cool to have more games let you drive around real places. I’d love if the truck games here just tossed us a car that goes a bit faster with reasonable driving physics to checkout the landscapes and locations.

Regardless, oculus rift support in this game? A steering wheel, pedals, and gear shifter (for all 500 gears in the trucks) + VR for full truck driving goodness?

• Boomerang says:

There are apparently mods that let you drive cars instead of lorries, if you really must. Pretty sterile for a car game though.

And ETS2 has Rift support, so assume this will too? link to steamcommunity.com

19. FCA says:

Also around 1:54, looks more like either Utah or Arizona than California. Anyway, I’ve never played ETS, but having lived in California for 2 years, am so stoked for this. California and the states around it have such beautiful landscapes and nature to drive through!