Risk of Rain Team Return With Deadbolt

When we first looked at Deadbolt [official-ish site] last year, we called the freebie “a side-scrolling version of Hotline Miami with bits of Gunpoint thrown in.” A year’s worth of gaming later, I’d toss Not A Hero into that comparison. Since then, developers Hopoo Games – the folks also behind Risk of Rain – have worked on expanding it into a full commercial release. Now they’ve released its debut trailer:

The premise: The undead are being all inconveniently not dead, which obviously reflects poorly on you as the Grim Reaper. Your job is to kill them all. Again.

It looks to be equal parts action and stealth/planning, as per Not a Hero/Hotline Miami. Go in guns blazing like the Ghost of Rambo Past or maybe fly out of a toilet to kill particularly unlucky individuals. A little urine can’t stop the Grim Reaper. When it’s your time to go, he’ll find you.

Best of all, the game’s not too far off. Steam lists Deadbolt as a Q1 2016 release, so presumably we’ll be scaring the literal piss out of zombies by the end of March.

From this site

1. Zankman says:

It looks good and it looks like it plays good, featuring some cool mechanics as well.

The art style, though… It seems like a moderately changed Risk of Rain art style. It just looks so similar.

Don’t want to call it “lazy”, but… Eh.

• froz says:

I say the same about most of the painters from old days. They just couldn’t be creative, could they.

• Metalfish says:

I’m glad you didn’t (even if, well, I don’t want to say you did… ..eh)

…’Cause I’m yet to meet a developer who’s released a successful game who fits any kind of description of lazy. Making games takes stupid amounts of effort. I’m sure lazy devs exist, but I wish the term wasn’t thrown around so casually.

• Phasma Felis says:

So you’re saying that devs should overhaul their entire visual style for each new release?

That seems a bit…demanding. I can’t think of anyone who actually does that on a consistent basis except, possibly, Double Fine.

heretic says:

The demo was great, looking forward to this!

heretic says:

Wasn’t the early version released on itch.io by mistake? Great mistake since it got me pumped up for this!

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Did that lightbulb just bleed?

• Slackar says:

If you look carefully, that light bulb is actually a zombie’s head.

4. April March says:

Whelp the demo/early version is gone. I loved Risk of Rain, but it was clearly meant for someone way more skilled than me. The way things were unlocked assumed someone who could regularly do what I could barely do in my best runs. Still, looking forward to this.

• ropeladder says:

Risk of rain was hard in single player but from what I read online somewhere, the difficulty didn’t scale in coop at all. So if you were playing alone you were pretty handicapped.

At least that’s what I tell myself. I made it through once or maybe twice, but I got so sick of the arbitrariness of the difficulty (oops, the door is on the other side of the map, now the enemies in the next stage will be twice as strong) and lost interest. Not really a roguelike fan though so that’s probably part of it.

• DrBomb says:

Have you tried getting the glass artifact? Look it up in the wiki. It made the game so worth for me. Amps your damage 200% and lowers your hp 90%. You will still need to dodge attacks but you will be able to keep up with the game.

• froz says:

It’s just difficult at the beginning, but once you start unlocking new characters and items it gets easier. Tip for the beginners: try to always find the portal as soon as possible, don’t wait and try to get money first, start the portal and if needed, run away and kill monsters one by one. Of course still try to spend as much money on items as possible, unless you would have to loose a lot of time. Remember that the longer you take, the harder it gets.

• aliksy says:

The difficulty curve is kind of weird. The first 5-10 minutes are usually easy. The next 10 minutes or so are usually hard. But then, if you’ve lived that long, you’ll probably have enough powerups that the increasing enemy HP doesn’t matter anymore and the game becomes easier again.

5. G_Man_007 says:

That looks like immense fun! Risk of Rain is bloody hard, this does look a scosh more forgiving.

6. rapchee says:

they have a more official site – link to playdeadbolt.com

7. Theon says:

There is no “team”, nor “guys”, behind Risk of Rain and Deadbolt. It’s Hopoo, the guy himself, the 1MA (one-man army) from /vg/AGDG/ who makes these things.
    I can see how the level of quality can confuse people into believing otherwise, though.

8. Phasma Felis says:

I never realized that Death had a cleft palate. Explains a lot, doesn’t it?

9. Comco says:

When I first saw those screenshots, I thought ‘the guys who made Gunpoint are being a little lazy lifting entire art assets from their last game for their new one’. Seriously, the graphics – which are minimalist, obviously but still stylistically ‘unique’ enough – are so close to those of Gunpoint it’s crazy. Same artist or a wholesale ripoff?