Fallout 4: 20,000 Deathbots vs The World

If this had been the climax to Fallout 4’s main plotline I’m not sure anyone would be complaining. Well, they would, because Bethesda RPGs and complaining go together like power armour and fusion cores, but I’d certainly feel like I’d got my money’s worth. Modder and YouTuber Cosmic Contrarian has already made several videos featuring thousands of Fallout 4 NPCs going to war, but the scale of this one is off the charts crazy. 20,000 extremely hostile Assaultron robots march on the Commonwealth, and a second apocalypse very much seems on the cards.

There’s a plot of sorts, but really, we’re just here for the carnage. There’s lots of careful editing and I’m sure this would make the average PC beg for the sweet release of electromagnetic death (even Cosmic Contrarian’s machine clearly struggles in places), so this isn’t a scenario you should realistically expect to be experience first-hand, but it’s a hoot to see what a Fallout 4 pushed to extremes looks like.

For once, I’m not lamenting that Fallout 4 is almost entirely a shooting game.

Cosmic Contrarian’s other videos include the below 30,000 glowing Deathclaws laying waste to 300 super-mutants, which looks a bit Orks vs Tyranids from a dream-scenario Epic-scale Warhammer 40K RTS, and 30,000 standard Deathclaws versus the Brotherhood of Steel, which is Space Marines vs Genestealers if you squint a bit. There are more still on his channel, though they’re not quite as spectacular as these.

VIDEO. GAMES.

1. gbrading says:

There’s something strangely cathartic about watching all those robots get blown to pieces. These pitched battle videos are remarkably entertaining.

2. Shiloh says:

There’s no way my PC could ever handle that, but hugely enjoyable to watch nonetheless. Almost makes me want to pick up where I left off.

3. zeep says:

Didn’t watch the entire video, it became boring after a while.

• KevinLew says:

That’s because you could achieve the same effect with 1/10 the numbers. You’re basically seeing the same combat multiplied hundreds of times, and the whole thing becomes very monotonous.

• suibhne says:

That’s kinda Fallout 4 and Bethesda in a nutshell, tho: quantity as quality. These games are pitched at people who think big numbers are intrinsically awesome.

• Distec says:

I sorta get your point, but not really…? Bethesda does seem to value quantity over quality, but they have steadily been reducing the amount of numbers players have to grapple with over their last couple of releases. The appeal of TES and FO seem largely due to the large exploration space, nor min-maxing a crit dagger for x10000 damage.

For all its flaws, Fallout 4 doesn’t feel like a game about numbers in any meaningful way.

• Blippity says:

I agree zeep. Even the cinematic effects add to the length of videos. I watched some of the deathclaw v super mutants and only watched 4 minutes before I lost interest.

4. geldonyetich says:

Those videos have me thinking maybe Bethesda might be under-utilizing their engine a bit.

• ACE209 says:

Don’t worry – the modding community will take care of that. ;)

The mod support and the commercially/community developed toolkit for their engine is really amazing.

• Moonracer says:

I’m guessing the cap on NPCs in vanilla FO4 is largely to ensure compatibility with consoles and lower end PCs to enable a wider audience.

5. Razumen says:

Yeah, Bethesda’s AI isn’t really varied enough to make it interesting for long sessions.

Lexx87 says:

No shout-out to the wonderful Red Alert track playing there?

7. TheAngriestHobo says:

Surely after more than a century of covering PC gaming, you’ve realized that it’s vidya games and complaining that go hand-in-hand?

You just see more of it with Bethesda games, because, well, they don’t make any sort of concerted effort to improve the quality of their products (and often go in the other direction entirely).

8. Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

h8rs gonna hate, amirite?

9. Nereus says:

“Bethesda RPGs”, all 3 of them? Everything prior to Fallout 3 was pretty good and generally seemed to go down well. They’ve definitely found their formula for pumping out games since then which earns them the same level of criticism we see with Assassins Creed or Call of Duty.