Homefront: The Revolution Striking On May 17th

The original Homefront was an unremarkable FPS with a plot that was goofy even for a CoD ’em up (a unified Korea invades the USA), but I have been interested in its sequel, Homefront: The Revolution [official site]. An open-world FPS skulking around an occupied Philadelphia sounds a laugh! For a while I’d feared The Revolution might be crushed by the wreckage of publisher THQ collapsing, but it kept poking its head out and now has an actual release date: May 17th. Also, a new trailer! Observe:

Oh sure it’s goofy, but something inside my head has clicked and refused to see this as anything other than a Half-Life 2 fan game, about the resistance fighting back in a Combine-occupied city. And that’s great, because psychic aliens from another dimension are totally fine and not remotely silly.

Anywho, Homefront: The Revolution will have Johnny Heroman leading the resistance in guerrilla warfare against the occupier. Along with completing missions to murder men and sabotage things and whatnot, he’ll be building up bases and safehouses and unlocking new murdertools. Publishers Deep Silver talk about the world being dynamic, reactive, and all that, and I’m curious about how much that’s true.

It’ll have online co-op too, you know.

May 17th! It’s headed to Windows, Mac, and Linux. I’ll make a note in my diary for this one. Here, this older trailer might show a tutorial mission, but it still probably gives a better idea of how The Revolution will play than that fancy new trailer does:

1. jyrque says:

The evil yellow-skinned orcs, I mean, norks of Mord- no, Yellow Zone.

That’s hilariously bad.

• int says:

When I was in Korea, I accidentally offended one of their native Japanese when I called him a Chinaman in Cambodian.

2. Jerkzilla says:

Was developing the same core game but with a story concept that isn’t completely idiotic too hard?

Or do they actually think that Homefront as a franchise has a signifficant following worth catering to?

• Banks says:

The first Homefront was a COD clone and shareholders loved that. And apparently, It sold very well.

The sequel, however, seems a tad pointless. Deep Silver must’ve bought the IP for cheap and It may have been more expensive to cancel it than to release it to the market. The game was almost done anyway, why waste 3 years of development.

3. JakeOfRavenclaw says:

“YOU. ARE. THE REVOLUTION.” Yeah, goofy is definitely the right word. Still, I could be down for some Urban Far Cry if it manages to be interestingly dynamic. The last “guerrilla in an occupied city” game I can remember playing was The Saboteur, which was interesting mostly because of its cool visuals and the fact that you could make cows explode by punching them, but which also did some fun stuff in terms of allowing the player to control the pace of the game. You could skulk around in most areas without arousing Nazi suspicions, and much of the game could be spent blowing things up at a distance and just casually strolling away, if you wanted to. It did a pretty good job of making you feel like a smooth undercover operator in the midst of largely oblivious enemies, and it would be cool to see Homefront do something similar.

On a less optimistic note…Yeah, the political undertones in this one are kind of fucked even by video game standards. Dealing with America’s fears of militarized police and random gun violence and terrorist attacks by casting the Heroic Americans as freedom fighter against an occupying force is just weird. In this scenario the Foreign Devils ARE the police, so you get the fantasy of murdering them both at once, all while being reassured that you are still The Little Guy who is Fighting For Freedom. I know, it’s just a game, I’m thinking about it too hard, etc. Maybe it’s that I’m American and this trailer is playing off some of the things going on here in a really weird way, or maybe it’s just the self-serious tone (I’ve got no problems with Just Cause 3, for instance). Or maybe I’m just getting old, I dunno. Hope the game turns out to be good, in any case.

• GernauMorat says:

This really does look like the absolute bottom of the NRA/militia/gunwank barrel. Agree with what you say, but would add that ‘its just a game’ does not excuse something being nasty, brainless propaganda, anymore than it does a film, or book, or speech.

• MrUnimport says:

I always thought the whole Red Dawn scenario was a mildly disturbing attempt for Americans to have their cake and eat it too, to be the most powerful country in the world and the underdog at the same time.

Phasma Felis says:

Interestingly, the original game apparently featured a Korean-American good guy who had been tortured by racist Americans on suspicion of being a sympathizer, and the most monstrous enemies in the game were not the occupiers but a group of isolationist militia nutbags.

4. GWOP says:

The real Philadelphia can’t even handle Bill Burr, let alone an occupation.

5. Dev says:

Is a new Freedom Fighters just too much to ask for?

boundless08 says:

This 1000 times! I loved freedom fighters back in the day, I’ll have to replay it to see if it still holds up

• Arbodnangle Scrulp says:

Me three! I’ve been looking for a game with a similar squad mechanic ever since, and it seems to be a genre that has undeservedly died out. Can you imagine Fallout 4 with Freedom Fighters’ squad control for your companions?

FWIW I reinstalled Freedom Fighters a few years back (it needed a fair bit of technical buggery) and sadly it’s very dated graphically. I would buy it again in a heartbeat if someone wanted to remaster it as per the Homeworld series.

• Rindan says:

Seriously. Why the fuck would use this universally laughed Homefront story as the basis of another game, especially when Freedom Fighters or a Freedom Fighters knock off would have been a thousand times better. There might be dumber plots than what Homefront was offering up, but I struggle to imagine any.

Phasma Felis says:

Before the inevitable “North Korea couldn’t possibly” discussion, understand that a resurgent, expansionist North Korea in fiction is basically always a cipher for China, which the publisher vetoed out of fear of a national boycott.

• Rindan says:

Yes, it was a very bland and gutless move. They could have at least had the decency to come up with a better fictional enemy. Just go retro, copy the excellent Freedom Fighters, and make it the Soviet Union. Hell, make it fucking aliens, unicorns, or the EU for all I care, just don’t something boring and stupid opponent like North Korea. Mexico or Canada invading and winning makes more sense.

Honestly, I actually kind of like the EU idea if it wouldn’t be so incendiary and viewed as overtly political. EU vs America would be hilarious and fun. Set the action in Britain, make everyone an hilarious national stereotype with both sides being the bad guys and the good guys being peons on the ground who just want both sides to fuck off. I would play that game.

• Hedgeclipper says:

Or maybe we could, just once have the US as the bad guys? I mean if you’re looking for a country ready willing and able invade and occupy just about anywhere in the world…

7. PopeRatzo says:

When you say it like that, it sounds awesome.