Metal Gear Online Beta Launching Today

SELFIE TIME! Get in here, you!

I’ve just realised that Metal Gear Solid codenames follow the same pattern as tech startups and game studios. Pick an animal, slap an adjective on the front and there you go, you’re now Flatulent Badger; you’re Scarlet Dolphin; you’re Indigo Axolotl. You’ll blow away either investors with a proposal to disrupt e.g. the shoe-tying industry with an app to have someone come round and tie your laces, or blow up a huge robot. Well, round up your pals and start naming each other, as proper multiplayer finally comes to The Phantom Pain [official site] today-ish with a beta launch of Metal Gear Online.

Metal Gear Online adds competitive team-based multiplayer modes with shooty shenanigans and wacky MGS gadgets on top, from balloonbots to distractingly adorable toy dogs. Also, sometimes you can be Ocelot and Snake. That’s what’s going on in that picture up top ↑, not some weird selfie. It may also be some weird selfie. Maybe there’s a selfie stick weapon. I wouldn’t be wholly surprised.

Consoles received Metal Gear Online in November, but our version ended up delayed further because reasons. The beta PC will go live today, ahead of a proper launch later. It’s due to arrive around 10pm Pacific (that’s 6am on Wednesday our time), though it may end up a few hours late. You’ll need to manually opt in to play (for folks unfamiliar with such fiddling, it works like this).

Here’s an old gameplay trailer showing a little Metal Gear Online in action:

1. brgillespie says:

Christ, it’s about time.

2. Darth Gangrel says:

After looking it up on Wikipedia, I now know what an Axolotl is. Thanxalotl, Alice!

distantlurker says:

Also had to google it. Also had to comment on doing so. Why does she do this to us? :P

• frogmanalien says:

On the plus side, I not only know what they look like, but I also now know that they always seem to be smiling in photos. Perfect for naming my gun-totting tank character after.

• Zach Fett says:

I too had to figure out what an Axalotle was. Now I’m sad because it looks like they’re close to extinction. They don’t even know it. Look at their faces, they’re oblivious! Stop smiling, dammit! Fight back!

• gabrielonuris says:

And I thought it was an aztec divinity…

• Darth Gangrel says:

You’re thinking of Quetzalcoatl, the god of wisdom, life, knowledge, fertility, morning star, patron of the winds and light, the lord of the West (damn, that’s some job description). Yes, I used wikipedia for that too. Both Axolotl and Quetzalcoatl come from the Nahuatl language. They really like ending words in -atl or -otl.

• int says:

It’s a useful device for making gholas. Hail Tleilaxu!

3. rexx.sabotage says:

Fucking Metal Gear, I want to love you for the magical grab-bag of emergent gameplay you are championed as but, E-V-E-R-Y time I find that the situation can be best resolved by simply pelting a potential hostile’s face with empty magazines until they waddle close enough for me to choke-the-ever-loving-shit out of them from behind a corner, a rock or a sheep. this is the easiest, most boring boring way to progress but, after each mission the game pats me on the backs and tells me I am doing what it wants me to :(

competitive team-based multiplayer modes

Definitely not a co-op campaign then or free-roams with a pal even :\

• MrFinnishDude says:

In MGS:V guards will eventually stop paying attention to empty mags if you abuse them too much. Also your complaining about a playstyle that’s COMPLETELY up to you to use

4. MrFinnishDude says:

Odd, I was playing Metal Gear Online on PS3 just now. It’s really pleasing if you like battlefield/cs/callodoody type online shooters with Metal Gear type strategy, movement and silliness.