To The Moon, And Beyond! Finding Paradise Announced

To the Moon is one of the very best adventure games, our John will tell you – if he’s not too busy wringing you for confessions of weeping. The 2011 journey through a dying man’s dreams was a bit of a tearjerker, see. Following two intermission ‘minisodes’ and so-so tie-in A Bird Story, developers Freebird Games have now revealed a bit of the true second episode in the series. Named Finding Paradise, it’s due at the end of this year (or early in 2017, maybe).

Creator Kan Gao has been talking about Finding Paradise for a fair while, but today brings a formal announcement with screenshots and a music sample and things:

“Like its predecessor, Freebird explain, “the game follows two doctors as they traverse through a patient’s memories to artificially fulfill their last wish.” Finding Paradise’s patient is the boy from A Bird Story, years later, but they insist it’s not necessary to have played that or even To the Moon. That’s handy, because I haven’t played either.

Look, I’m still wary of unnecessary tearshed so I treat these things with a great degree of caution. I’ve got to maintain my garbage reputation as an emotional idiot.

If you wanna hear from people who do like ‘feely-foos’, as the kids call ’em, then check out Wot John Thinks of To the Moon as well as his Verdict with Adam.

Aerothorn says:

Alice: Play To The Moon.

It is a big problem in games criticism (and reception) that we overemphasize the degree to which games can cause “the feels” and tend to center all discussion around those aspects. But To The Moon is (almost) never an arbitrary hearstring-tugger; it is, among other things, really funny; thoughtful science fiction; and contains some pretty decent puzzles.

• SuddenSight says:

I agree with everything except your last point. I will agree that the puzzles in To The Moon tend to make some sense, but outside of a couple early on, they tend to be either too easy or just a case of clicking on the thing.

Which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. I enjoy To The Moon as a narrative game. But the puzzles are neither as tricky as, say, Sokobond nor as Adventure-Gamey as basically any adventure game. Most of them, in my opinion, are (enjoyable and brief) busy-work.

Risingson says:

I disagree on all, but I know that you all come here to read opinions that are same as yours. I think To The Moon has no clue of what is empathy and loss and I will leave it here.

No. “Decent puzzles”. Where?

• Sabbatai says:

Wow. You talk about all of us so negatively. May I ask, what makes you want to be part of this community? If you already know what everyone will think or say, what is the point of contributing your thoughts?

People might be interested in a discussion if you didn’t belittle them unprovoked. It’s ok to have a different opinion. You don’t have to be so awkwardly aggressive in stating it.

• Geebs says:

I think the ability for a game to make the player feel something above the most basic emotional responses is absolutely worth critique.

What I find distasteful not so much “the feels” as the sneaking suspicion that some critics, and commentators, can exude that they’re seeking approval, rather than validation, for their powerful emotional reaction.

Still, the world is full of different people from different cultures, and it’d be stupid to judge too readily given the range of different expression out there.

That said, To The Moon did nothing but irritate me, but I’m dead inside so go figure.

alison says:

Are you kidding? To The Moon was one of my hardest Steam reviews to write because even though i thought the story was really sweet, the “puzzles” were so wearying i found it very hard to recommend.

I am a huge fan of walking sims and art games, games where you do precisely nothing besides experience a story in some interactive way. Even though i found the story of To The Moon a little saccharine and not something i could personally relate to, it definitely tugged the heartstrings and had something to offer that was unique. But without a doubt, the pretense of having a “real” game in there really diminished the experience for me. Perhaps it’s because i’ve never played console RPGs and even PC “RPGs” seem entirely un-role-playing-game-ish and boring to me, but i found the “gameplay” element incredibly tedious. There aren’t many story games where i get annoyed at the “gameplay” (whatever that means), mainly because a lot of story games either leave it out altogether or make it very lightweight, but this was one.

I don’t think there is any shame in game developers writing games where all you do is walk from one place to another, read logs, engage in dialog, and so on, but when they add arbitrary fetch quests and pseudo-combat it just feels contrived to me. I am definitely looking forward to the new game by this guy, and i will almost certainly buy it just to support people who are trying something different, but i really hope he focuses on his strength – storytelling – and not try to shoehorn some kind of weird hokey console RPG into it.

2. Kefren says:

One of many games I bought on RPS’ recommendation, but I just couldn’t enjoy it (Bastion was another). I’m not bitter, I have also got many games on RPS’ recommendation that I have enjoyed thoroughly!

3. shadow9d9 says:

TTM was a graphic story, not an adventure game. There was no gameplay besides walking.

4. FreeTom says:

To the Moon is very much worth playing. I didn’t cry though because I’m strong and sensible and carry a pen that is also a screwdriver.

5. viceversa says:

The best thing about TTM was the storytelling and presentation. It was immersive enough for me to ignore the lack of gameplay or challenge. The overemphasis on “feels” a game can give exists as pointed in a comment. But the feel TTM is able to deliver is a cumulative contribution of the entire storytelling, whose comedy and sci-fi elements are equally laudable.

As much I am excited about the sequel’s independent story line, I am also looking forward to the mystery bombs dropped in TTM’s ending and the sigmund episodes.