Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: India Sneaks Out

Think what you will about the wildly unconfirmed rumours of the core Assassin’s Creed thread skipping 2016 (the RPS line is that they’re a fun excuse for daydreaming about revamps), we’re certainly seeing some Assassin’s Creed games this year. The 2.5D spin-off miniseries Assassin’s Creed Chronicles [official site] is one step closer to its conclusion, as ACC India launched last night. We’ve still got Russia to come.

Oh, and Ubi have shared the first stills from the upcoming Assassin’s Creed movie and oh god of course it has a present-day plot strand too.

First, Chronicles: India! It’s set in 1841, when the East India Company are stirring up all sorts of trouble. It’s a 2.5D murderplatformer with a touch of stealth and, judging by the launch trailer, a whole load of explosions. It’s £7.99 from Ubisoft and on Steam (where, yes, it requires a Uplay account – and yes, I know you have feelings about that, please know that I know and stop shouting outside my office window).

As for the movie, Ubi’s blog has full size versions of three stills. Look at these murderpals:

But waaaiiit that’s also Michael Fassbender in the present-day, oh god he plays both a 15th-century Assassin named Aguilar and some chump named Callum Lynch. Look, he’s written the names of all his murderpals over his prison cell walls, which is a sure sign kooky shenanigans are afoot. Gosh, I find the ancestral memory strands of Assassin’s Creed so, so awful. Partially because Ubi will seemingly never take them to their logical, desirable conclusion of Assassin’s Creed: Cyberfuture. Is the near-future framing there because Ubisoft believe that you, dear reader, are incapable of understanding jump cuts, time shifts, and multiple protagonists within a series?

Anyway, look how much this man likes murder:

Movie’s due in December.

1. Christo4 says:

I want an assassins creed set in machu pichu

2. ran93r says:

I hope they don’t rule out a full title set in India after this.
    It might tread a little close to Black Flag in some ways but you could go back a little more.

3. Syra says:

Is it wrong that this looks better to me than most recent assassins games?

Also the shot at the end of the trailer of him holding a chakram got me weirdly excited. Wouldn’t a proper game set in India be nice!

4. Borodin says:

“Is the near-future framing there because Ubisoft believe that you, dear reader, are incapable of understanding jump cuts, time shifts, and multiple protagonists within a series?”

I had always understood that it was there solely to rationalise the game interface as part of the story, particularly stuff like the HUD, replays, second chances when you die, and boundaries to the play area. However I’ve never really understood why game authors try to do that anyway. Why not just admit it’s a game? There is no similar explanation for things like the extraordinary athleticism of the assassin proponents, or their ability to survive fatal back flops from a tremendous height into carts of hay without a scratch.

• Ringwraith says:

It sort-of does in IV, as it’s delving into pirate-y times to find good material for a video game.

• welverin says:

From playing the first five games I got the impression they were building towards a modern day game where you would play as Desmond, but reactions to the modern day parts was so negative they they changed their plans and abandoned that idea.

• Ringwraith says:

They did do that though, with III. Well, at least a bit. II has brief sections too where everyone is hilariously armed with sticks to escape the problem of the combat translating and not being incredibly lethal.

5. SuicideKing says:

Nice art style, and I might pick it up. Rs.300 in the Indian steam store.

HOWEVER. What on earth is up with that accent? Sounds almost middle-eastern.

6. Ringwraith says:

Their meta-plot was initially an interesting set-up… that they sort of immediately squandered as soon as they started expanding on it and got very, very silly.
    Been playing bits of Black Flag lately, and it’s amusing how contempt it has for its own framing and connecting narrative.

• Thirith says:

I experienced it very differently; I loved the irony and meta angle of what they did with Black Flag. All in all, I enjoyed the meta-plot (yes, it’s silly, but it’s the kind of silliness I enjoy) and hope they’ll do something more with it again. Right now they seem to be somewhat embarrassed by it but can’t drop it completely, which is frustrating for those who like the future-present plot as much as for those who hate it.

• Ringwraith says:

I think the problem I have with it is that it’s trying to be serious, and just is too ridiculous and hokey to be. Yet they keep trying anyway.

• Thirith says:

At least in Black Flag they were ironic about it, though, with bad guys Abstergo clearly being a stand-in for Ubisoft.

• Ringwraith says:

Thankfully, someone had gotten a hold of it who also thought the whole thing was stupid, and it really does show!

• EhexT says:

Black Flag shat all over the idea of the meta-plot. They lost the thread when they made 3 Assassins Creed 2 games instead of going for the Cyberpunk Future-creed very soon after AC2-1 but Black Flag was the nail in the coffin. There is no way to sensibly go back to the future stuff after making a complete joke out of it.

The future plot was the glue that held the first 2 games together – without it would have just been hokey pseudo-history murderizing with a weird secret organization thing that doesn’t go anywhere. Hell the ending of the first AC2 is incredible.

The twist when the hologram in the memory of the past looks right into the camera and talks to Desmond? The in-game people watching from the future going “What the FUCK?!” over a black screen? Incredible. And then they followed that up with…nothing. Two more #2 games for no sensible reason and zero movement towards a proper future-creed resolution.

• Blastaz says:

Who are these people who want to put boring future aliens all over my nice history simulator?

Personally I think the modern day story came to a natural end in 3, and they should just let it go and let us spend all our time playing in historical sandboxes.

7. Banks says:

Those movie pictures are so sad. Lmao.

8. DeepSleeper says:

Why, why why WHY, given the absolute beautiful insanity of the Assassin’s Creed setting and world, given all the crazy Precursor stuff going on, given the Animus hacks and rifts, given the wacky metaplot…

WHY do so many people want to reduce the most creative universe in mainstream gaming to a bunch of assholes in hoodies stabbing each other?

I will never understand it.

• PancakeWizard says:

I have to agree. The ragging on the present-day plot is getting old, considering that’s the single most original aspect of the entire thing.