Tom Clancy’s The Division Trailer Explains ‘RPG’ Parts

We haven’t posted about Tom Clancy’s The Division [official site] since June last year, which seems too long to go without checking in on Ubisoft’s online shooter. The latest trailer is a good one to watch too, since it breaks down how the game’s various parts fit together: from killing men on the streets of post-apocalyptic New York, to the stats and weapons upgrades that allows you acquire, to how guns are just one part of cleaning up the neighbourhood. Find it below.

I can’t tell whether The Division’s combat is a thing I want to play yet. In some previous trailers its teamwork has looked fun, and I can be suckered in with an unlocked scope attachment as much as the next person, but I’m unconvinced by its indistinct machineguns and environmental reliance low walls. Destiny, which seems at least superficially similar in terms of its RPG structure, hooked me as far as reaching level 12 with a single character, but that was in large part because of its knife kills.

Can I zoop towards an enemy and melee-stab them in a single action in The Division? I don’t know. The only thing I’m sure of so far is that it looks great. I’m slightly bored of ruined worlds, but I’d happily explore those New York streets no matter how covered they are with wrecked cars and ash.

Stay tuned – we should have a clearer assessment of The Division in the near future.

1. Stupoider says:

I really wish Ubisoft would drop the faux Hollywood thriller tone and the god awful narration.

2. Boomerang says:

Still so many unanswered questions about mechanics, upgrades, progression, interactions, etc, but I’m still quietly moist for this.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

I’m starting to think they are constantly reworking various core parts of the design, with a higher previous focus on Day-Z cloning back when it was trendier, and something different now that time has passed.

• socrate says:

well considering 90% if not 100% of their big title all end up being clone of each other just adding different way to collect stuff…i thinks its pretty clear w/e the name they use for their dumb game at this point

3. Andrew says:

Shallow and boring as Destiny (Hi, Alice!), or?..

At best, I see Borderlands* with more emphasis on multiplayer, at worst — microtransactions, grind and stupid PvP (like, yeah, people would go to Dark Zones to be nice — nope, no ambiguity, strait PvP).

* — I like Borderlands, I just not sure if I want another one.

• Ringwraith says:

Well, there’s no point attacking people with no loot though, and that puts a target on your head.
      People who shoot first get marked as such.

• Andrew says:

Call it a hunch, but kill-anyone-on-sight “strategy” would be mildly inconvenient at best, or way to go at worst.

• anHorse says:

Yeah but I might not be sure if the guy in distance has loot
        If he’s dead I can check him anyway

• MisterFactoryNewPotatohead says:

You must have not played any early access survival multiplayer game like rust, dayz or arc in the past few years if you think that way. People would kill eachother for basic starter kits.

4. Bone says:

It’s interesting enough to warrant a post, but it’s not a break down of any gameplay at all, just the general idea. There will be loot. Humans/scavangers are hostile a-holes for some reason. There’s a cover system. Graphics seem to have gotten a slight downgrade (which I don’t care for).

Hmm, not holding my breath, especially after so many games tried the open world thing, and this looks more like a mission/lobby based shooter with slight rpg elements.

5. manny says:

Way too much empowered woman in this trailer.

6. EhexT says:

In the Tom Clancy Post-Apocalypse you need healing nanomachines and sentry guns to fight dudes with baseball bats.

• EhexT says:

Also people with parkas can take dozens of assault rifle shots, because we gotta yell “this is an MMO” as loud as we possibly can in every facet of our gameplay.

• BlackMageSK says:

I really can’t get past putting RPG elements and stats on guns in any game. Makes everything feel like a pea shooter and bullet sponges are the least interesting thing in any shooter.

• gabrielonuris says:

And that’s exactly the reason why I may skip this game. After you play some “tactical” shooters, where guns actually kill people with a well placed shot, I can’t swallow all this bullet sponge crap ever again.

X_kot says:

Welcome to the American police force!

7. anHorse says:

I don’t get the appeal

I love hack and slash games and loot grinding, I love borderlands for doing it in a shooter. But the absolute key is that in all of these games loot is a gamechanging thing, a new weapon can make a new build viable, have a really fun effect or be a massive power upgrade.

In this and destiny (the blatant framework) we seem to only be getting the third of those, the mmo approach of more power only. This doesn’t interest me

8. anHorse says:

I’ve just realised that all the skills and upgrades work identically to how they did in The Crew, and that was sold as a racing game. Amazing

9. Freud says:

It looks so pretty, but I have a feeling it will be very grindy. If they ever make a single player game in this world, I’m in.

• Andrew says:

It is, sadly, single player with online bits on a side. Big publishers don’t have cojones to make proper multiplayer game.

• cqdemal says:

I get what you mean but Ubi also said the game would scale for solo players.

10. vahnn says:

I really wish they’d stop with the fucking videos and just give us a write up of some features. I want to learn about the game and continue with my day, not spending 5 minutes watching a tedious video poorly explaining things in an annoying voice that I could have read in 40 seconds.

11. pc_load_letter says:

Is this going to be online MMO online or can I play solo (offline)?

12. Kruton says:

As a resident of New York, I’m pleased to see that it, you know, actually looks convincingly like New York. It’s always irritating when something takes place in New York and then something like the subway looks completely wrong (I’m looking at you, Jessica Jones). And as much as waist-high walls are a kind of immersion-breaking (if sometimes-necessary) trope, I feel like I do see those concrete barriers everywhere.

13. Radiant says:

This looks like some fascist bullshit.
    REBUILD OUR CITY
    BY SHOOTING ITS INHABITANTS
    UNLESS THEY HAVE SOMETHING WE WANT
    EVEN THEN WE CAN KILL THEM IF WE WANT.

• Radiant says:

I’d be on the otherside of these fools screaming
      I’M JUST TRYING TO FEED MY FAMILY.
      PS THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT IN THE FIRST PLACE.

• Radiant says:

YES BUT THE DEVELOPERS DON’T SEEM TO UNDERSTAND BASIC HUMANITY, HOW SOCIAL CONTRACTS BETWEEN PEOPLE STARTS WITH SAFETY, SUSTENANCE AND SELF EXPRESSION AND THAT VIOLENCE DESTROYS THESE THREE BASIC BUILDING BLOCKS OF MANKIND.
        BESIDES THEY ONLY LET ME INTERACT WITH YOU VIA THESE BULLETS AND THIS GRENADE UNLESS YOU RESEMBLE ME AND MY SOCIAL NORMS.

• Radiant says:

THAT’S COOL MY PAL.
          I UNDERSTAND THAT A STEADY DIET OF VIOLENT TV SHOWS AND VIDEO GAMES AND ENDLESS WAR HAS LED US TO THIS POINT.
          MAYBE MANKIND IS ABOUT TO COLLAPSE IN ON ITSELF AND IT’S ALL JUST A DANCE WHO’S STEPS TAKE US OVER THE CLIFF REGARDLESS OF THE MUSIC.
          DO YOU THINK MAYBE CIVILISATIONS THAT CAME BEFORE US WENT THROUGH THE SAME STEPS TOWARDS THE END?

• Radiant says:

I DO YES.
            BY THE WAY ARE YOU AN EX COP?
            HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE YOU FUCKED AND EATEN?
            DON’T WORRY ABOUT THAT LAST QUESTION, ARE YOU AN EX COP?

• magogjack says:

Sweety your going to ruin your singing voice.

• Radiant says:

I’LL JUST TAKE YOURS WITH MY BULLETS.