Guild Wars 2 Free As A Bird Soon, AND THIS BIR- Ok, Ok

If I could skateboard (I gave up trying to learn after clumsily busting a board) I’d skate everywhere. When rolling is an option, walking is surely pedestrian. Beyond the bounds of the skatepark, I’d insist upon skating down to the shops, over hills, through bogs, and up the stairs in my building. Walking be damned! And yet MMOs keep adding fancy new modes of locomotion which are restricted to certain zones.

Good news on that front for Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns [official site], as the expansion’s gliding is coming to the rest of Tyria.

When the update hits, folks who’ve learned Basic Gliding Mastery will be able to glide across most of Central Tyria, including into places where they perhaps shouldn’t be.

Developers ArenaNet experimented with gliding all over the world while prototyping it for the Heart of Thorns expansions, they explain in a blog post, but it needed more work. At launch, it was limited to Heart’s new zones, which were designed with soaring in mind. They won’t be reworking Central Tyria to be as glider-oriented as Maguuma jungle when they let folks start soaring, but isn’t gliding at all enough?

It won’t work in story instances or dungeons, mind, and gliders will collapse if you fly too close to secret things like jumping puzzle solutions. ArenaNet also say “These new freedoms might allow you to get to places in these maps we did not originally intend you to see. As long as your explorations remain harmless, it’s all part of the fun!” Sounds great, that. I have always enjoyed exploring secret and forbidden places.

ArenaNet have laid out the rest of their plans for early 2016 too, including a new Shatterer fight, World vs. World tweaks, a Brew of the Month Club, a big rebalancing, a Lunar New Year event, and plenty more. Hit that post for more info. I just focused on the gliding because I’m… as free as a bird now, AND THIS [yes, that’s quite enough Skynyrd lyrics for now, thank you -ed.].

From this site

1. rondertaker says:

this headline had me expecting to read a story about the game becoming free :O

• Canazza says:

The game is free.

The Expansion isn’t though.

• LionsPhil says:

With some caveats, like not being able to send items to other players, and not being able to get into the capital until you’re pretty levelled up (35). Most of them are there to make it harder to abuse for various cheaters and farmers, and it works well as an extended demo.

• Urthman says:

Guild Wars 2 is a great game for exploring and finding secrets and gawking at the beautiful scenery. It’s actually a good thing the free version of the game forces you to spend some time outdoors before you see the first amazing city, and that it makes you spend time appreciating the regular cities before opening the astonishing capital city.

I think I’ve said some version of “Holy shit!” more times playing GW2 than I have in all the other games I’ve played combined.

• LionsPhil says:

Yeah, I love that you can level up just from wandering around and discovering the world, and that this is entertaining sightseeing rather than playing whack-a-mole with map markers.

2. Borodin says:

I didn’t think anyone listened to Lynyrd Skynyrd any more!

zinzan says:

Wash your mouth out with soap,……..

The very idea that some of us would NOT listen to Lynyrd Skynyrd on a regular basis is symptomatic of all that’s wrong with the world today :)

OTOH I was impressed that someone else got the reference so quickly :) kudos.

• GameCat says:

Lord help him for he cannot change.

• Blackcompany says:

I very much still listen to Mr. Breeze on every long drive I take. I grew up with it. Course, my father and uncle went to school with the band, so, yeah…Skynrd was a big part of my youth.

I will never forget a long and uneventful drive to Tampa, Florida for a wrestling tournament. Just my father and I in the car. We must have listened to Mr. Breeze by Skynrd and Ramblin’ Man by the Allman Brothers about a dozen times. Each. Also, Dire Straits.

• Blackcompany says:

Cause I cant edit: The funniest part: You would think that someone who literally comes from the same town as the band, would have learned to spell their name correctly by now. Oddly enough…nope. Never did hear the end of that one living down south.

• Josh W says:

But you can’t stop listening, I’m sure that guitar solo hasn’t actually ended yet.

3. Xzi says:

I’ve recently gotten back in to GW2. The revenant class is quite enjoyable.

4. Neurotic says:

I’ll be plunking for HoT finally then, goodo.

5. Slick says:

Guild Wars 2 is not going to be free?

Misleading linkbait headlines are short-sighted ways to get clicks. It only serves to tick-off new & existing visitors to your site.

• Aerothorn says:

1. Guild Wars 2 is already free, so it wouldn’t make much sense to write a post announcing it was going free! They did that back when it went free.

2. RPS has written extensively on this before (I’d link you but I can’t remember the post title) but in short they don’t do clickbait headlines, or clickbait articles in general. It just isn’t their business model, and they don’t want to.

• Xzi says:

As above, GW2 is free. The expansion is the only part that isn’t.

• KenpoJuJitsu3 says:

The base game has been free for about 4-5 months now.

• Frings says:

Thanks for the hearty chuckle.

particlese says:

AND THIS BIRD CAN SING
    butchya can’t hear me……..
    You can’t hea– wait, what?

7. Blackcompany says:

As someone who comes from the same small town as Lynrd Skynrd – I went to school with one of the nieces from the family – this really got me laughing. Thanks for that!

8. April March says:

Ha ha, I didn’t know Guild Wars 2 was free, so it was weird to click a link thinking it was about it going free, then learning it hasn’t going free, then learning it had already gone free months ago. The perils of reading RPS haphazardly instead of every single article every single day.

9. ephesus64 says:

I paid for GW2 years back, but I haven’t bought heart of thorns – do you think you’ll be able to learn “basic flying mastery” and get your wings without the expansion?

• Geebs says:

The secret is to throw yourself at the ground, and miss.

• Merus says:

Almost certainly not; you need to have access to masteries, and Basic Gliding is a Heart of Thorns mastery.

10. Henke says:

These tags are the best tags.