Rainbow Six Siege Cracks Down On Cheaters

Make my day.

For a game so tough on crime – eagerly blasting through the walls of a suburban home and charging in guns blazing – Rainbow Six Siege [official site] was relatively lenient on cheaters. If its automated detection spotted a cheater, for the first offense it’d slap them on the wrist with a three-day ban. “They’re good kids,” it’d say like a village bobby, a big smile across its ruddy digital face, “I’m sure they won’t do it again.”

Presumably one cheater returned to nick the cyberbobby’s bike and ditched it in the village pond, as the digirozzer has cracked right down. As of Patch 1.3, there’s zero tolerance for cheaters, and the virtuacop is far more vigilant too.

Cheater cheater pumpkin-eaters will now be slapped with a permanent ban if they’re caught up to no good. The “cheating countermeasures” are improved too, so it’s more likely to spot rogues.

Yesterday’s patch also introduced the option for doling out insta-death to exploiters who go outside their zone during the preparation phase. “This behavior should not be possible,” say Ubi, “but if exploits are found, the guilty shall be punished by a swift death!” Gosh! It’s getting a bit Judge Dredd around here. The patch fixes one such exploit, which let people glitch through walls “when transitioning from proning to standing position combined with putting up a barricade”.

The patch also fixed some issues with reconnecting to games in progress and… hey, look, the patch notes are right there, you can read for yourself.

Patch 2.0, which they say is “much bigger”, will launch alongside the game’s first ‘season’ on February 2nd. Expect a new map and operators and things.

1. BobbyDylan says:

Great news. I’ve not played an MP shooter this fun but this frustrating in years. The Tickrate is still a major issue though. The disconnect between what I experience on my screen and what is shown on the killcam is rather large.

2. Scrobbs says:

So, this patch looks like it has made things harder for cheaters; I like keeping an eye on the Unknowncheats forum and someone had this to say, “New update: anti-cheat measures taken. current ESP-s do not work anymore.”

Great news!

3. xyzzy frobozz says:

Cheaters!?!

Arrrrggggh!

They’re cheats. Cheats. Rainbow Six Siege cracks down on cheats.

4. Chem says:

See I knew it wasn’t that I suck it was simply that everyone was cheating. Really tho it’s good that they finally are doing something significant about cheating. As stated folks who cheat are pumpkin eaters and pumpkin is disgusting and those that eat it should be punished.

• onionman says:

Pumpkin is delicious, however, I am also glad that they are cracking down on cheaters.

5. TWChristine says:

“The patch fixes one such exploit, which let people glitch through walls ‘when transitioning from proning to standing position combined with putting up a barricade.'”

How do you even come up with/find stuff like that!? The amount of potential combinations for things to do is, I imagine, staggering. Just dumb luck, or trying random things? My guess is a bit of both, but still!

• Bull0 says:

My friends and I discovered an exploit in Payday 2 purely by accident – certain levels have a limited number of key-cards scattered around that you can use to close doors or open armories, etc, and if two players try to pick up the key at precisely the same time it’s possible to duplicate them. So yes, I expect there are people that actively try to find these things, but equally it can be a happy accident.

• Sin Vega says:

First time I ever played Bubble Bobble on the Gameboy, I went to the enter password screen (I was a kid and it was all new) and put in 4 random numbers.

Those numbers turned out to be the level select cheat code.

6. Bfox says:

I honestly cannot understand game cheaters.

• Scrobbs says:

Indeed. I watched some youtube of a cheat in action – some guy running at full pelt across a battlefield map shooting from the hip. Every one a headshot. Must get so boring.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Just assholes doing it because they know it’s ruining other peoples game tbh.

7. Goinsey says:

Just hoping that they stop the Defenders weapons working outside of the building during a match.

teije says:

Digirozzers sounds so wonderfully rude – something I imagine a character in the Thin Blue Line spitting out with relish.