Fallout 4 Mod Adds Nuclear Winter (And Other Seasons)

If patrolling South Boston almost makes you wish for nuclear winter, you’re in luck—now there’s a mod for that. More specifically, there’s a mod to add every season to Fallout 4 [official site].

The verdant greens of spring. The warm touch of summer sunlight. The vibrant oranges of a New England autumn. And the absolute hellhole that is Boston in winter. They’re all here, in a new mod called the Fallout 4 Seasons Project.

Here’s a video of the mod paired with the colour-tweaking Sublte ENB, courtesy of YouTube user ‘hodilton‘:

Creator ‘GameDuchess’, who compiled the Project from many other mods, points to Chernobyl, Hiroshima, and Nagasaki as proof that nature reclaims irradiated spaces much quicker than humanity. Surely, 200 years after the bombs fell, Boston would have some greenery. Logic may not have much of a place in Fallout 4’s uncredible world but hey, any excuse for more nature is dandy.

The only downside to the project at the moment is that seasons don’t change automatically. You need to set your game to spring/summer/fall/winter manually. GameDuchess says it’s a limit of the current tools, but that “The eventual goal after the Creation Kit is available is to build an optional mod from these packages that will switch seasons automatically.”

I imagine it will be a great teaching tool for future generations once global warming has ushered in perpetual summer.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Sakkura says:

Things like this is why I postponed buying Fallout 4. Neat mod, even better once the Creation Kit arrives (when exactly? “early 2016” last I heard).

Gives some time for Bethesda to fix some of their usual droves of bugs and performance issues, and some time for modders to tinker with all the other shortcomings typical of Bethesda games.

• Rhodokasaurus says:

I dunno. Unlike some previous Bethesda games I have a hard time feeling like ever going back to F4, no matter how many mods there are. It was just such a pointless and hollow experience.

The only thing that would entice me back is a total conversion mod like Oblivion’s Nehrim.

• geisler says:

Hear hear. Somebody build some systems that, i don’t know, make the combat even remotely interesting? This is all just superficial visual fluff.

2. Zenicetus says:

That looks like a nice change of scene, although the cleared roads in Winter need to be hand-waved somehow, since I lived in Cambridge MA for two years and I remember what it was like. Maybe it’s the first light snowfall of the season.

Either that, or the SuperMutants and Raiders are driving armored and weaponized snowplows to clear the roads for raiding. That could be fun. Somebody should mod that.

• Ergates_Antius says:

Radioactive contamination causing the ground to warm, melting the snow.

3. Jabberslops says:

I read about this mod a couple days ago and something seemed to be “off” with what I was looking at for each Season. I realize now that there are a bunch of Plant and Tree species missing from the game. Bethesda could have taken all the Birch, Oak and Pine Trees from Skyrim and put them into Fallout 4. I see what only looks like Poplar Trees in varying stages of growth.

4. anHorse says:

But wouldn’t a global nuclear war change the world’s climate enough to end seasons as we know them?

I’m by no means certain (and I’m all for some living plants) but that was my understanding of it

• MrFinnishDude says:

Well, one could make a mod that realistically reflects the seasons after a global thermonuclear war, but it would be quite ugly and dull, I presume at least.

• Heavenfall says:

First there’d be a nuclear winter as dust etc covered the sun. If anything survived that (3-4 years maybe). After that it’d mostly be back to business as usual.

• Zenicetus says:

A “nuclear winter” from massive sunlight reduction would last several years, and then return to normal climate. So it’s a question of which plants would survive afterwards. There have been “volcanic winters” in the geologic past caused by major eruptions. So it’s a fairly safe bet that not all plant life would be destroyed, and a lot of it would come back over a 200 year period.

OTOH, there would be a big hit on the more fragile cultivated food crops that depend on fertilizers and pesticides. If you survived Armageddon, you’d probably be eating hardier wild plant species for a while.

• Bing_oh says:

The massive radioactive and destructive effects of the war itself also have to be factored in. It’s not logical to compare the Fallout world to Hiroshima, Nagasaki, or Chernobyl, as we are comparing limited nuclear destruction surrounded by a still living and vibrant world to a full-scale global nuclear exchange. The environmental destruction of such an exchange would be beyond anything we’ve ever seen. You’re talking about the combination of the basic explosive destruction, radioactive contamination probably orders of magnitude larger than we’ve ever seen in nature, plus the resulting “nuclear winter.” With no (or very few) uncontaminated/undestroyed areas from which germinated plantlife can spread back to the nuclear wasteland and the huge disruptions in insect life necessary for the pollination and spread of such plants, I can see where plants would be very limited in such a world even 200 years later.

• Zenicetus says:

I don’t think the destruction would be that widespread, for several reasons. First, the number of warheads available doesn’t include the total stockpile of the particpants, but what can actually be delivered in a first M.A.D. exchange. In other words, what’s actually armed and loaded in solos, plane bomb bays, and subs. There won’t be a second wave.

Second, the missiles are (or were) targeted strategically at big cities, industral sites, and military sites. You don’t drop in the desert or huge tracts of forest, and the major combatants in an exchange — the USA, Russia, and China — all have vast amounts of essentially empty land. Plenty of room for plants to be away from the blast-affected areas. There are entire continents that would never see a nuke either, like South America, Africa (most of it), and not much of Southeast Asia. If there isn’t a recovery of plant life after a nuke exchange, it will probably be due to Nuclear Winter effects and not direct effects from the bomb targets.

• Zenicetus says:

“…loaded in silos” not solos. Damn lack of edit button.

Innocent Dave says:

The Nuclear Winter theory has been largely debunked nowadays, with current thinking last time I checked (probably about ten years ago, tbh) being that we could expect a global average temperature drop of a few degrees for a few days, maybe a couple weeks at the outside – certainly not enough to wipe out the biosphere.

In terms of radiation, the isotopes used in nuclear weapons are designed to release energy really quickly, so they don’t tend to hang around very long. Those used in nuclear power are much more slow-burning, but even around Chernobyl the forests were recovering in a matter of years. Long-term radiation damage from warfare is far more likely to come from the depleted uranium used in certain conventional munitions, which has a half-life slightly longer than the expected future of life on earth, and will still be well over 25% as radioactive when the planet is swallowed by the sun.

Of course, all of this is a little moot, because Fallout doesn’t take place in the real world – it takes place in 50s sci-fi, where physics works differently.

• Phier says:

At the very worst it would be a short term cold period, I don’t think it would last more than a year. The idea is sound and such HAS happened but it involved massive volcanic eruptions. Its a bit of hubris to think that a nuclear war would have long term effects like that. Added the fallout series happens long after, all effects would be pretty much nullified.

This has been one of my annoyances with the fallout games, the landscape looks like the attack happened a month ago for the most part, not the decades, or even 100’s of years claimed.

5. SheepOFDOOM says:

As far as selling the scenery goes, I’ve been enjoying the mod that expands the weather and it’s severity. Rainstorms are ranier, Radstorms are raddier, the fog reminds me of superman on the N64.
    link to nexusmods.com?

6. Mario Figueiredo says:

Hmmm… Just no.

Watching the video was a major turnoff. Excellent mod work. My hat off. But it just really breaks too much of my preferred imagery of a post-apocalyptic setting. Couldn’t possible use this.

• dethtoll says:

Go play STALKER.

• ZippoM says:

Speaking of which had one of the most atmospheric skies in any game.
        Looking at the screens of FA4 it looks like the skies are eternally blue, with the odd cloud here and there and no sense of weather changes at all!

7. ulix says:

I like this.
    But I was always wondering why there isn’t such a mod for Skyrim. Or is there?
    I guess it would be harder to just swap textures and models, because there’s already regions of varying climate in the game, snowy regions and the warmer south…

8. Butts says:

The largely brown, barren wasteland made quite a lot of sense in the first two Fallout games. They were, after all, set in around the largely brown, barren deserts of real-life California and Nevada.

Seems reasonable to change the scenery with the change in location. The desert surrounding future DC always made it seem like Bethesda started developing the game to be set in the West and then decided to throw in something closer to home at some point too. Though it did make that one place with trees really stand out.

• dethtoll says:

The thing with FO3 is that Bethesda was trying REALLY REALLY HARD to hew to the look and style of Fallout 1. That being said, they’ve made it plain (at least in Mothership Zeta) that most of the world has been desertified thanks to radiation killing plant life.

• Butts says:

God damn did I hate being stuck on that stupid spaceship. It actually made me quit FO3 and never return, now that I think about it.

• dethtoll says:

It is easily one of the worst DLC for a game I’ve ever played. I don’t even consider it canon.

9. FesterSilently says:

yah, for those quibbling about the lore-ness of these mods…it’s been (according to the game, and despite *many* incongruities) about 260-odd years – *more* than long enough for nature to have retaken much what was destroyed/previously occupied my mankind.

And, anyway, I discovered that I *really* prefer the brighter, livelier palette. Hooray for nature (colors)! :D

10. racccoon says:

I know its really hard to achieve but the still models in the game needed snow fallen upon them as well to achieve that full snow fallen effect, its only beef really. apart from that its nicely done.
    I don’t add mods to this game as its great as it is, but its still good to see them. :)

• dethtoll says:

I didn’t like Mafia 2 much (more than Mafia 1 tho) but one effect it had that I really got a kick out of was your car getting all frosted over when you’ve been driving for a while. It was a subtle thing, but it really did a lot to add to the atmosphere of the early part of the game.

11. Raoul Duke says:

Why don’t people just play Skyrim or one of the many other non apocalypse games if they want lush colours? Why take a game set in a barren wasteland and mod it?

12. Niente says:

With all this talk of Chernobyl, Hiroshima and Nagasaki I’m reminded of the ST DS9 episode when Quark, Rom and Nog are the Roswell aliens. In that episode Nog explains to Quark how the idiot humans irradiated their own planet and even Quark is incredulous that a species would willingly do that.

As for the mod, I think I’ll try it out. I’ve been holding off on mods until the mod kit came out but I’ve a yearning to see the Boston wasteland covered in snow.