eTouchdown: Blood Bowl 2 World Cup

There’s a Blood Bowl 2 [official site] World Cup for PC players. I’m partly writing about this because it falls under the esports remit but MOSTLY because I wanted to register my suggestion that the trophy be an actual bowl full of blood.

I feel like if I start talking about it publicly now there’s a good chance someone will see and act on the idea. A BOWL OF BLOOD, PLEASE.

Blood Bowl 2 is a Warhammer/American Football mashup which plays out as a turn-based strategy game, if you’d not heard of it. My only time with the game was while attending a preview event for ebulliant RPS fanfic community, PC Gamer at the start of 2014. They were only 4 months in so I wasn’t allowed to play but I did speak to the developers at Cyanide about eSports. Broadly, they were interested in fostering and encouraging a professional scene largely revolving around the creation of various leagues.

WELL, there is now a World Cup (a bowl full of blood, remember) which you can enter and maybe even win. Because winning will get you $10,000 and a bunch of other stuff. Including a bowl full of blood.

Here’s the page where you can find out how you can take part and register, should you fancy it. The basic point is that there’s an official World Cup qualifier and a variety of community qualifier leagues from which the best players will be chosen:

“The best 64 players of Blood Bowl will be selected among the participating private and public leagues, they will win their tickets and compete against each other during the Play Off in a dangerous yet exciting ladders competition.”

For entrants, you need to check the individual community leagues for their rules and tournament dates/info. For the official ladder there are three seasons of play and the unique top 5 coaches each season will get through.

The finals will take place on 29 June 2016 and be broadcast on Twitch. I assume on Blood Bowl 2’s publisher’s channel which is here.

MAKE IT A BOWL OF BLOOD.

From this site

Hodge says:

I was going to make a black pudding joke but then I had a look and it turns out bowls of blood are actually a thing.

So err…. *shrugs*

• saginatio says:

Czernina is actually quite tasty, though it is hard to find a restaurant which serves one :(

2. Thurgret says:

Chaos is extraordinarily overpowered in infinite leagues, and I really can’t commit to schedules etc. for private time-limited ones. :( Maybe Cyanide’s added in something to mix it up since the couple months after release when I played.

• Shar_ds says:

This is an interesting limit for the World Cup Ladders:

Any team with more than 20 matches will be disqualified.

• Thurgret says:

Oh, cool. Thanks! I might actually give this a go, then. I’d been despairing over the utter dominance of high value Chaos teams. As I read it, you basically play 20 matches, then stop, and hope you did well enough (or register a second team and try again)? My favourite team is the possibly not very competitive Bretonnians – still, even with the limited access to skills, their blitzers are petty neat, and their linemen all having fend is good for handling cages.

• Everblue says:

@Thurgret

No, chaos is not overpowered. I am in two infinite BB1 leagues, each with more than 150 teams. We have not had a chaos winner in either league for many seasons. In the UKBBL the last two winners have been nurgle, while in the OCC most of the recent winners have been necro. In fact I cannot recall the last chaos winner of either league.

3. JimboDeany says:

Thankfully this will be relatively short format and also the new ageing rules will limit this a great deal

4. Shar_ds says:

You know what’s an even better way to play Blood Bowl?

The RPS way, that’s what! Come an join us in the Divisions of Death! (League not endorsed by Cyanide nor taking part in the World Cup. We’re not bitter though..)

link to rockpapershotgun.com