Humble Store’s Winter Sale Is On

The lovely Pentland Hills, south of Edinburgh

Though most download-a-game stores ran their “winter sales” around Christmas and New Year, it is very much still winter now. I spent half my weekend climbing up and falling down snowy hills ↑ and have the bruises to prove it. It’s now the time of the Humble Store to roll up snowmen, conceal gravel in snowballs, and stomp out giant snowdicks in the park, and they’re going for it. While Steam’s winter sale dropped daily deals and all that flashy nonsense (it was a success, they say), Humble are up for a spot of larking about.

The Humble Store Winter Sale runs for two weeks, with some discounts running the whole course, a new selection of shorter discounts every three days, and ‘build your own’ bundles offering bigger discounts as you add more games. You know: shenanigans.

The starting sale lineup is still on offer for a few more hours, so go look if you’re not still laden with games from every other sale under the sun.

As ever with Humble, some games are DRM-free, some come as Steam keys, and some both. Also, 10% of your purchase goes to a charity of your choosing (well, from a big list). The sale will end on Thursday, January 28th.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Core says:

Am I blind or is there really no way to search the humble store for games by name?

• Jurple says:

The first option :).

There’s a search box at the very top of the page, between the Humble logo and the support/blog/account links.

A return question: how do I see which games are in the three-daily selection, and likely to get a lesser discount soon?

Flavour Beans says:

The sale is a mess overall. Looking through the listings, some of the sale prices end in a half-hour, some are at their listed prices for two more days, some for four more days, and some still have until the end of the two weeks.

• RobF says:

The weird timers are because it started last week and the discounts were a choice between 4 days and running the entire duration of the sale. So it’s just that some of the games are reaching the end of that 4 day period.

Not arguing that it’s not a mess, mind. I don’t think Humble have cracked the whole ‘store’ part very well in general though.

• Mischa says:

Using that search button for ‘Invisible, Inc’ (recommended below) shows me the game+DLC (at 40% discount), the DLC (at 10% discount), but not the sole game (which is at 50% discount, I see some way down the front page). So not only the sale is a mess…

2. IndiaCharlie says:

Top of the screen – I have a search box – just of to the right of the Humble bundle logo from the left hand side in. Quite subtle..

3. Unsheep says:

My only haulage so far is Satellite Reign, a modern version of the classic Syndicate games, which are still fun to play mind you.

• LNO says:

Also purchased it, however was disappointed to find it quite linear and a bit obtuse. Was expecting it to be more openworldly. If bought on steam I would ask for a refund.

• MisterFurious says:

It’s buggy as hell, too. My squad ran into a stair way and only one ever came out and he was floating in midair.

4. Alan Hazelden says:

Rolling up snowballs, you say? (Shameless plug)

In answer to the question above, I think I was offered the choice of either a two week discount OR a 72 hour discount – so if a game is currently discounted, that means it won’t be cheaper later in the sale. But I could be wrong, or it could work differently for some games.

• pertusaria says:

Hi! I really enjoyed/am enjoying your game (I haven’t completed the night mode yet), and you got a second sale out of my partner over the holidays. I’ve gone back and poked at Sokobond again and I look forward to your next game. Thanks!

• Llewyn says:

Oh, Sokobond, of course. I knew I recognised the name. I had to stop playing that as it gave me nightmares.

5. Replikant says:

Is it just me, or are these sale events pulling a sneaky trick on the customers?
    I have the impression that whereas previously game prices would steadily decrease over time nowadays they don’t do that anymore to make the sale price reductions look ever more impressive.
    I mean, Morrowing GOTY Edition is reduced by an seemingly impressive 66% to a price of just €6.99. However, this puts the not-reduced price at €20 for a game which was released in 2002. Before sales became all the rage, you could possibly pick it up at regular €10 by now.

So it seems to me that game prices are now fixed but they might get reduced by some percent more in the next sale.

• geisler says:

“Before sales became all the rage, you could possibly pick it up at regular €10 by now.” How about – no? Are you sure you’re not thinking about the regular Morrowind edition? The GOTY editions of all TES games have always been this “expensive” since their release on the digital platforms. I’ve also never seen them anywhere boxed, but that’s just me.

Remember though that you are getting all the expansions as well, not just the base game. Even at €20, these packages offer huge amounts of gametime for their price in my humble opinion.

Flavour Beans says:

OP has a point, though. While their example might not be correct, it does seem like games are hanging around at their launch prices a lot longer, and come down much slower, since seasonal sales came to dominate the scene, especially with big-name games. GTA5 came out in April of last year, Dying Light came out in January, and both are still $60. Farcry 4 came out in November 2014 and still runs $50. Civ:BE came out in October 2014 and has only slid down from $50 to $40. So on, so forth.

Flavour Beans says:

All of these go on sale during all the big Steam sales–Dying Light was 66% off and GTA5 was 40% off–but keeping the price high allows them to market BIG DISCOUNT sales for not much less than a game used to be down to after a year of release.

• frightlever says:

Morrowind GOTY, a fiver for the physical copy on

Oblivion 5 Year Anniversary edition (which includes the expansions) £6.50, also on Amazon.

• bill says:

Not sure about euros, but I bought the physical dvd edition of Morrowind GOTY edition for 9.99gbp from virgin megastore in 2005. This came with 3 dvds and a paper map.

The current GOTY edition is 14.99 on Steam.

I also noticed that recently, when I checked a lot of games on my GOG wishlist, the game might be on 75% off sale, but the regular price had GONE UP since I added it to the list.
        This is partly because GOG changed their pricing policy though.

That said, I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad thing if games maintain their price points (and playability!) for longer.
        It’s always been kind of dumb that games had a shelf life of 1-2 years, whereas movies, books, music etc.. has a much longer shelf life. We’re still happy to pay a fairly high price for an album or book from 1970, but generally games from 5 years before were abandoned.

The rise of steam / digital distribution, the plateau that console hardware and consequently PC games were on for a long time (now ending?) and the rise of the indie aesthetic has meant that people seem much happier to buy a game from 2002. So it seems logical that the price would be maintained for longer.

Though, when I was arguing for that long ago, I envisioned that the longer sales lifetime would mean that the initial price would be more reasonable… like a $12 dvd/album/book selling price rather than a $40 game price.
        That doesn’t seem to have happened, outside of indies.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Some cursory checking the price history of some games on isthereanydeal and a lot of them do look like upside-down ECG graphs rather than the staircase shape.

6. Immobile Piper says:

Between RPS and Cool Ghosts, I was convinced to purchase Invisible Inc. Based on few days of playing, including a base game expert win, definitely worth it. This is some high quality stealth gaming.

RPS coverage of the game:
    link to

7. Nereus says:

I have no love for stores that regionally price to my detriment.

These days Steam’s the only place I bother buying games because the strength of the USD makes buying elsewhere extremely expensive – on top of the fact that Steam regionally prices me in my own currency. As opposed to charging me anywhere from 10 to 50% more than the USD price, in USD because you’re perfectly happy to cave to publisher demands of regional prices but too lazy or anti-consumer to actually offer those regions currencies.

Humble my arse.