Metal Gear Online Bursts Out Its Beta Box

Sure, you’ve defeated the entire Soviet army in Metal Gear Solid V [official site] by throwing hunks of metal at soldiers’ faces then telling your dog to bite them, but that will only work on actual humans five times – tops – before someone calls the rozzers. But you can now test your sneaking (and face-shooting) skills against actual humans virtually, beyond the base invasion antics. After a week in public beta testing, Metal Gear Online has properly launched on PC, bringing team-based shootysneaks to MGSV.

Metal Gear Online has three modes for class-based shooty shenanigans, with points to defend, data discs to capture, and men to shoot.

A beta launched last week, but was suspended for a bit after the discovery of an exploit letting folks get loads of free Mother Base Coins, the virtual currency Konami are hoping you’ll buy with real money to skip microtransaction irritations. But hey, now MGO is back, it’s properly out, and it’s just starting.

“Just like the previously released console versions of MGO, we’ll be integrating new updates to the game to improve the experience and add content,” says the launch announcement on Steam.

I haven’t had time to play much yet, but did (try to) quickly fire it up for a few rounds, and discovered a few irksome bits. The way to launch MGO is to launch The Phantom Pain, go through its splash screens, prompts, and announcements, then select an option to launch MGO which will close TPP and launch MGO. Trying to launch the MGO executable directly just crashes, for me at least. I was also annoyed to discover I need to play until level 6 to unlock an extra character slot and make a ladysoldier (your first character slot is the disguise you create for Big Boss at the start of TPP). I imagine it won’t take long to hit 6, but still, plbb. Oh, and evidently ↑ there’s a bug making my chap’s skin a perfect black void. Maybe that’s some sort of metaphor. The ginger beard seems like something I’d have done on purpose, though.

Anywho, if you want to see how it’s supposed to go, here’s an old MGO gameplay vid:

1. SMGreer says:

It’s got problems but overall I’ve found it to be great fun and pleasantly different from any other multiplayer game out there. Would like perhaps more maps for it but since I’ve barely memorized the existing ones, maybe it’s for the best.

2. MrFinnishDude says:

I calling that in few months only matches you can find are Bounty Hunter. I had this on console and you wont believe how hard it is to try to play other game modes now. Still, the game has issues but it is quite fun and charming. Especially if your team manages to work together.

3. roseerblooming says:

Have they fixed the issue where alltalk is always on? I was playing a deathmatch on a Skype call with the significant other and it was a bit embarrassing to figure out that a lobby full of whomevers got to hear my Deepest, Darkest Secrets.

• Bostec says:

So you were the one! How did it go the other night then? You know the one that involved the leather whip, a carrot and a cuddly toy. We have all been wondering still..

• int says:

There was a guy in my game eating crisps for a very long time. I now worry about his health.

4. Shooty Deluxe says:

Didn’t really get into it. Got bored after about an hour online.
    The FOV is gonna kill this game. It’s practically unplayable.

5. grve says:

Why would anyone play this? Ever?

6. Kraizk says:

This is far from the train wreck other want you to believe but the issues it has are glaring. The party system is a joke (you can party but it wont match make with that in mind and it wont try and keep you on the same team) and the always on mic is terrible.I also don’t believe it is VAC secure so just wait until the hacking comes…. If they could clear up these large but simple issues I think more people would be on board.

7. welverin says:

Your character looks awesome, don’t complain about that!