XCOM And Civ Aplenty In Humble Firaxis Bundle

While Adam is larking about in XCOM 2, I’m replaying XCOM: Enemy Within to demonstrate how totally fine and unbothered I am that he has access and I don’t. It’s still really fun! Last night I ordered a cyberlady to punch a robodino so hard it exploded.

If you want to join in with not feeling bitter, the latest Humble Bundle is a cracker. It’s a big merry load of cheap Firaxis strategy games, with your XCOMs and your Civilizations and your Pirates! and your Starships and so on for not very much money at all. We can all be unbothered together.

As ever, the Humble Bundle’s a pay-what-you-want dealio with more thrown in as you pay more, and you can split money between Humble, the devs, and charity.

Paying at least $1 (70p!) will get you XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Sid Meier’s Pirates!, Ace Patrol and Ace Patrol: Pacific Skies, and Civilization III with its expansions.

Paying at least the current average price ($9.74/£7 as I write this) will also get you Civilization IV with its expansions, Civilization V, Sid Meier’s Starships, some mysterious yet-to-be-revealed games, and XCOM’s DLC packs and Enemy Within expansion.

Finally, pay at least $15 (£10.50-ish) and they’ll throw in Civilization: Beyond Earth, a Beyond Earth map pack, and a coupon for 33% off Beyond Earth’s Rising Tide expansion.

That is a lot of good strategy games. Some are better than others, aye, but lawks! it’s a heck of a deal. They all come as Steam keys for Windows, and some are on Mac and Linux too.

The bundle will be sold for the next fortnight.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Yachmenev says:

Pirates for $1 is a steal! :)

The resolution options are very limited in that though, so the best way to play it today is to edit the ini file to enable windowed mode.

2. klops says:

How’s Ace Patrol?

• EhexT says:

Fantastic but sadly really hamstrung by the horrible phone-interface.
      A game with Ace Patrol mechanics but an interface that isn’t crap would sell like crazy on Steam.

• wraithgr says:

Played through the whole game on my surface pro in tablet mode and loved it… Scratches the x-wing miniatures itch perfectly!

3. Boomerang says:

Bonkers money for some excellent, excellent games. XCOM (with Enemy Unknown expansion) and Pirates! should be in everyone’s gaming collection :)

4. Darth Gangrel says:

The blonde soldier to the left looks even more ridiculous and disproportioned than Starcraft’s Terrans or Warhammer’s Space Marines. Even the gun looks like it’s too big in comparison with the mech suit, but who cares about proper proportions when you’re trying to save the Earth from aliens.

• Alice O'Connor says:

I mean, she does have a human-size cyberbody inside the mechsuit. It is a very big mechsuit. It needs to be big to sprink up and punch robodinos.

• LionsPhil says:

If her arms are inside the suit’s arms, you probably don’t want to think about what’s happening around her shoulder joints.

• Phasma Felis says:

She’s a robot with a human head. Her original body’s proportions don’t matter.

• jonfitt says:

Well except you can see them and even field them without the mech suit. They have a human sized Terminator-style body for every day use. But perhaps those arms and legs unplug when they get in the mech.

• jonfitt says:

Watching the MEC intro video again it’s explicit that the arms unplug, so yeah, the torso is probably essential, but other parts are removable.

I liked the MEC concept. It didn’t necessarily make strict logical sense, but the body horror was a good way of having it so that it’s clear that you’re definitely sacrificing them to the cause.

5. jonfitt says:

So I’ll field the contentious question:
    I have all of the Firaxis games in that bundle barring Beyond Earth. In its current patched state, with the DLC is it a worthwhile game to play?

I have every Civ (Including the Call to Powers), both Colonizations, Alpha Centauri, and GalCiv2 so I’m totally target audience, but the reviews left me cold. I have been digging the Endless Space|Legend 4x’s lately. Would I be better off buying GalCiv3, or just playing another game of Endless Legend?

• EKStinger says:

I’ve read much criticism of Civ:BE, and in many cases I agree with the shortcomings that have been identified. Despite this, I really like the game anyway. According to Steam, I’ve got 69 hours into it, and most of that is pre-expansion, which means I’ve probably got a lot more to enjoy. It’s probably not a desert island, rest-of-my-life kind of game like Civ IV (my favorite thus far), but I’ve certainly enjoyed it. It also warmed me towards Civ V, which previously disappointed me. I’d say it’s worth a try.

• pelwl says:

You can download a demo for BE and Rising Tide if you’re not sure about it.

Personally I really don’t like it. It’s very lacking in character and the few things I disliked about Civ 5 (after 1000 hours play time) are exacerbated in BE – ie, lots and lots of barbarians (dressed in alien garb here) and needing to manage and move too many units.

I also don’t like the muddy colour scheme. In Civ 5 it was great to see the map’s colour scheme change as empires grow. Here you can barely tell the difference (and not only with the colour – factions don’t have a lot of character about them).

Nauallis says:

I played enough of BE to not be very impressed with the base game (I was nostalgically hoping for some rework of Alpha Centauri), but Rising Tide did actually fit the classic Firaxis “the DLC improves the game” model. The ocean cities addition seems fairly well thought-out, because your cities can move, so that adds another element of strategy to longer games. The re-work of the diplomacy system is immensely more satisfying. Exploration can be hugely rewarding. The added environment types re-skin the whole map, and cause minor changes to the Alien-barbarian behaviors. I rather like BE now that Rising Tide is out.

At this point, I won’t recommend Civ Beyond Earth to anybody without the Rising Tide expansion. Rising Tide is what the game *should have been* when it shipped. Up to you if you want to support a company that releases games like that.

Nauallis says:

I got to the point with Civ V where I didn’t like to play it unmodded, so it’s really hard for me to try to objectively compare Civ V with BE and/or Rising Tide.

6. Unsheep says:

People who are into strategy games should have most of these titles anyway, however 15 bucks for Beyond Earth plus extra maps is a good deal in itself…the problem is what to do with the other 5-6 titles in the bundle, those I already have on Steam.

That’s been my main problem with these Bundle deals, I either get extra stuff I already have or that I don’t want. So it feels very wasteful, despite of you getting a great deal for the one or two games you actually want from a bundle. I have plenty of Steam codes that are just wasting away. A build-your-own bundle system works much better in my opinion.

• n0m0n says:

What makes this bundle worse than most is that it (like the borderlands bundle also from 2k) only gives you one steam code per tier, so no way to even gift the doubles away. I complained before that they should display this much better on the front page, but it seams they have not considered it an issue (it did however upset me a great deal last time, and even more so this time, because of the way the games and DLCs are organized between the tiers).