Life Is Strange Director’s Commentary Released

As much as I like Life Is Strange [official site], I’ll not pick up the episodic magiteen story’s new boxed Limited Edition. I will, however, gladly reap the benefits of this gussied-up new release. A new patch is out now for everyone, bringing improved subtitles in loads more languages, for starters. The promised Director’s Commentary is now here too, free for folks who own the game.

I’m a touch disappointed to find the Director’s Commentary is an hour-long video documentary, split up into topics. I’d half-hoped for Valve-style nodes scattered through the game, with voices chiming in as I play to tell me about what I’m looking at and what’s happening. But hey! I might have a watch some time anyway.

Installing it is a bit tricky. Head to Life Is Strange’s entry in your Steam library, look for the DLC section, and tick the ‘Life Is Strange – Director’s Commentary’ to start the 2.9GB download, then launch the doc from within the game. If you don’t see that empty checkbox, try launching LIS then closing it; that made it show up for me.

As last night’s patch notes explain, the new subtitle languages are German, Italian, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, and Mexican Spanish. Subtitle options have been expanded too, and apparently the patch fixes a few bugs across the game and all.

If you’ve not played it yet, hey, our Advent calendar entry sums up a load of our opinions, and Steam has a demo with a chunk from the first episode too.

I wonder how it feels to buy and play the whole game in one chunk, rather than waiting weeks and months between episodes. I did quite like the tension and reflection that enforced.

1. PoulWrist says:

I bought and played the whole thing over two days after new years. Was a pretty good experience, I’d say. I enjoyed the thing all the way through.

• PoulWrist says:

Forgot to mention that I had tried the demo and found it dull and uninteresting. I was kind of stressed when I tried it though, and seeing a game that required any kind of time investment to be enjoyable was a turn-off.
      This time, though, I just needed a relaxing experience after all the new year and xmas celebrations, bought this, because it had gotten all these nice words with it and it was perfect for that. I was hooked after getting over the sitting in the classroom part and just binged all 5 episodes.

• Alice O'Connor says:

Yeah, the demo definitely seems a poor way to show what it’s about, especially as the PC demo came very late. A slice of a later episode might’ve been way nicer.

• Mechorpheus says:

I wonder if they’d be better served just giving away the first episode of these kinds of things (hello Shareware!), I know by the end of that I wasn’t about to quit and not start the next.

Perhaps my game of last year this, loved it. Might sound weird but basically immediately started playing it again to see what I missed and to check out some of the other choice avenues. Wonder what Dontnot will do next?

• TheAngriestHobo says:

“I was hooked after getting over the sitting in the classroom part”

It’s pretty amazing that you’re able to say that about a game, when you think about it.

• cpt_freakout says:

I did pretty much the same thing! There were these very long moments where my family wasn’t doing anything in particular so I could just go play. I decided on one of a few adventure games I’ve wanted to play, and so I started LiS. It hooked me in, and I just had to binge through all of it in three days. Really great game.

• Cinek says:

Yea, I got the same impression. I got 1st episode on a sale, played it, liked it, bought all the other episodes while sale still lasted and it was surprisingly decent.

It was the first episodic game I even bought, and while I’m still not sold on this idea, and I would definitely not pay a full price they asked for every episode – I did have some nice time with Life is Strange, and would definitely look into some similar games if they’d end up on sale and got a decent topic topic… hopefully something that’s not a spin-off from a TV series/Movie and/or another zombie/werewolf BS.

2. Yonderboy says:

Anybody know if this is available for people that purchase on PS3?

3. anHorse says:

I hope it’s just a frenchman saying hella over and over

4. Zekiel says:

I’m actually glad the director’s commentary isn’t within the game, because that is a real immersion-breaker. Having said that I’d prefer the directors commentary was just a Youtube video that I could listen to / watch during lunch breaks :)

Thirith says:

While I came to enjoy the game well enough, I rarely stopped finding the writing* and performances uneven (and at times pretty bad) and Max a fairly unengaging main character.

In some ways I think that the extent to which so many people (and RPS in particular) were vocally in love with the game made it more difficult for me to appreciate it, because for most of the first episode and perhaps half of the second I more or less kept thinking, “Why am I not getting into this? It seems to be loved quite universally! What am I doing wrong?” Once I let go of this and accepted that the game, for all the acclaim it got, wasn’t for everyone, I was better able to enjoy the things I liked and not get too hung up on the things I disliked.

I may be overgeneralising here, but I think that what a lot of people responded to is the game’s earnestness. It may be clumsy and ungainly at times, but it wears its heart on its sleeve and doesn’t wink at the player. In itself, earnestness isn’t something I personally value all that highly in writing or storytelling – it’s an added benefit, but it doesn’t outweigh other things for me – but it’s definitely something that’s exceedingly rare in games, as are the character types, relationship and themes of Life is Strange. (I’d say that Gone Home also has a similar kind of earnestness, but I liked its writing and performance better.)

*I don’t think it’s that the game’s language is stylised or uses teen speak, it’s that I rarely bought into the way it was stylised and used a very particular slang. It didn’t ring true for me – though obviously there are many for whom it did ring true.

• Zekiel says:

YES. I believe you may have hit the nail on the head about earnestness – at least for me (as someone who unexpectedly adored this game). So many games go with having cool protagonists. Max is the opposite of cool and I absolutely loved the conversations where you got to be awkwardly (or indeed non-awkwardly) earnest with Kate, David, Victoria, Chloe and indeed just about everyone else.

• rabbit says:

but i mean – as far back as i can remember at least – RPS did always describe it exactly as that … i can’t see how you were disappointed by its approach when, on this site at least, that was always /exactly/ how it was written up.

?

• Zekiel says:

I think overly-high expectations can harm enjoyment. I had (what sounds like) a similar experience with playing Kentucky Route Zero – everyone on RPS (in 2013) seemed to think it was AMAZING. Playing it 2 years later couldn’t help but be a bit of a disappointment since it had a huge amount of hype to live up to. Having just replayed Act 1 I enjoyed it a lot more when my expectations were calibrated a bit better.

• Kala says:

I’ll preface this by saying I unabashedly love LiS ;p so I’d be unhelpful in any dislike of the hype train <..>

“Max a fairly unengaging main character.”

I can see your point; she’s quite bland in some respects, or her personality doesn’t seem well-defined (other than shy hipster).

Buuut…

I think for the type of game this is, that’s more of a pro than a con and probably working as intended. I.e so you can project something of your own personality onto Max – to an extent – in the choices you make on her behalf. (Though she does grow and have an arc, whichever way you decide to take her).

“I may be overgeneralising here, but I think that what a lot of people responded to is the game’s earnestness. It may be clumsy and ungainly at times, but it wears its heart on its sleeve and doesn’t wink at the player.”

No, I think you’re absolutely right here, and it is part of the charm (if the player allows it, which requires a certain amount of suspension of cynicism in approach). The game is being kind of vulnerable in its earnest awkwardness, and if you allow yourself to be vulnerable in turn, then the pay off is in the emotional positions the player is placed in. (In this sense, I kinda think LiS is an empathy generator).

“it’s definitely something that’s exceedingly rare in games, as are the character types, relationship and themes of Life is Strange.”

Yes. That’s part of why LiS gets all the love, I think. I can understand being put off with hype; it raises expectations or irritates. But it does get plaudits from me because the kind of experience it’s crafted is so rare in games.

6. Deano2099 says:

At £15 I’m half tempted to pick up the boxed version just for the soundtrack…

• Zekiel says:

Gosh. Me too. I’d assumed it’d by £60 or something. And I don’t think you can get the soundtrack any other way (apart from for free on Youtube obv).

I’m just not sure I want more stuff cluttering up my house – I was getting rid of old boxed copies of games recently!

7. alms says:

Looks like the DLC is free for everyone, not just existing owners?

Which would suck for me, as I have an unused key for the first episode.

8. Buttless Boy says:

I really wanted to like this but I gave up partway through chapter 2, when I realized that the constant death and trauma Max rewinds through doesn’t effect her one iota. I was really hoping for some reaction when she watched her best friend die five times in one minute, especially after the intense reaction early in chapter 1.

That, and I kinda hated every character, they’re almost universally horrible people and knowing the endings ahead of time I couldn’t get invested in helping the only one who wasn’t abjectly cruel.

I’m super glad it’s popular though, hopefully that means we’ll see more stuff in this style and maybe someday we’ll get something that I like better.

• James0 says:

Without wanting to spoil too much, most of the main characters get quite a bit of development as the story goes on, and several of them definitely become more sympathetic.

I don’t really get your other criticism. If anything I thought Max’s internal monologue got a bit overbearing and over-emotional at times. If you’re talking about the bit I think you’re talking about, she never actually sees anyone die (the game pauses before that happens), and at this point she seems to be getting a bit cocky with her powers, so I don’t think it’s particularly jarring that the incident doesn’t seem to affect her that much, especially with everything else that’s going on.

9. tkjgmz says:

There is no way to fast forward or rewind within the commentary chapters, is there? Kind of ironic…

10. Ragnar says:

Game felt great to play through with no waiting for new episodes to release. I could play through an episode in a day or two, then move onto the next the following day.

I normally wait till all the episodes are released before buying and playing such games. I’d forget what I did and lose my engagement if I had to wait months between episodes, if not the years that some episodic games are taking.