Pretty Pussycat Platforming In Shelter Spin-off

The Shelter games by Might and Delight have always looked gorgeous, but the prospect of me mothering idiot babies – even baby animals – sounds more like the pitch for a dire family movie than a plan for a pleasant afternoon. But I do adore that art! So I’m certainly interested in the Shelter 2 spin-off they announced today, an “adventure platformer” named Paws [Steam page]. Rather than care for a wee lynx, you play as one trying to find its way home. Have a look in this trailer:

Heck yes you get to befriend a bear! And make even ‘eff’ up a swan. Probably not. UK content laws would require that a virtual bobby pop up and haul the lynx off for a dressing-down from a virtual Queen. But look at that horrible hissing git! I’d be okay with swans becoming the next big jump scare fad. Zomboswans in the next Resident Evil, roboswans in the next Five Nights… it’d be both scary and informative.

Anyway, as a diddy little lynx, you’ll get to roam around, uses your senses to track, platform around and solve puzzles with your bear friend, from the sound of things. I’m up for that. It’s also an opportunity to be a baby and prove that they are capable and only act like idiots because people let them get away with it.

The family movie with me and children would be awful.

Paws is coming to Windows and Mac on March 24th via Steam and other stores.

Risingson says:

“sounds more like the pitch for a dire family movie than a plan for a pleasant afternoon. ”

It must be so bad not being able to enjoy the Carroll Ballard movies…

2. Darth Gangrel says:

It’s good that there’s no combat here, because if it did I would like it to be real-time with paws and that’s unfortunately not pawsible.

3. sicanshu says:

Do you guys have Canada Geese in the UK? They’re like swans, only not as pretty and they loiter anywhere with puddles (parking lots, notably) pooping, hissing, and giving people the stink-eye. Hate those smug bastards.

• alw says:

Yep, we get them here. I kinda like them. Last winter, I was walking to work one morning and I saw one just walking up the pavement (sidewalk) towards me. As I got closer, it went into someone’s garden and peeped at me over the wall until I went past. Then it carried on wandering up the road.

I found out later that there’s a big group of them in one of the nearby parks, so I guess this one had got a bit lost, or possibly bored.

• sicanshu says:

No kidding? I wonder if the Canada geese, not unlike the people, are just more polite on your side of the proverbial pond. The ones over here have more of a “NASCAR fan who just killed an entire case of Natty Ice (the bathtub crank of beers) and is 100% convinced you gave his old lady the eye” thing going on. Or maybe it’s just me they don’t like.

• Butts says:

Swans are huge jerks. In that they are both huge AND they are jerks.

Canada geese are like a reduced version of swans. Smaller, and less jerk-y. Also different colors (and pretty tasty, from the rumors I’ve heard…).

In short: Screw you, swans. If you have managed to live in a part of North America without swans I’d say good job, and that you might want to stay there. Unless swans come. Then you should move.