Test Your Getaway Driving Skills In Free Game Berlin’82

“Cheese it!” shouts Jimmy Two Knees before he’s even through the car door, bundling in big hessian sacks marked ‘SWAG’. “It’s the rozzers!”

The sirens rise behind you but you don’t care. You’re ready for this. You’ve seen, well, not all of Jason Statham’s films but most of them definitely. You even kept watching Crank: High Voltage long after realising it was so much worse than the first. Anyway, he didn’t drive in that one much. But you’re ready! You hit the gas and away your car rockets. Then you try to pull a handbrake turn and crash into a wall and explode. Your score: 480. That’s how my early attempts went in free game Berlin’82 [official site].

Made by the one-man Beardman Studios, Berlin’82 is an endless driver with the police forever chasing you around cute tilt-shifted city streets. It’s a pleasing simple arcade affair about racking up high scores. You automatically drive at a steady pace, but can accelerate at the cost of control or jam on the handbrake for some snazzy stunt driving. Smashing into things loses you points and crashing hard will explode you. All the while, the police are in pursuit. I’m good at the exploding bit.

And… that’s it. It’s fun and pretty and free.

You can grab Berlin’82 for Windows and Mac from Itch.

I’m not going to tell you my high score because I don’t want to embarrass you, okay.

1. Sin Vega says:

This is fun but the controls are really awkward. Shoving the handbrake in right in between the steering controls just feels all weird and I keep pressing the wrong thing.

2. deadly.by.design says:

This looks *a lot* like Smashy Road.

3. KesMonkey says:

“chasing you around cute tilt-shifted city streets.”

Tilt-shifted? Did you mean isometric? Tilt-shift is a photography technique, often used to make photos of reality look like miniature models.

link to en.wikipedia.org

4. moreyummystuff says:

Oh cool! A Chicago 90 clone – I loved that game.

5. Pink Gregory says:

Jimmy Two Knees gained his moniker after losing his left leg in an industrial accident.

6. Umberto Bongo says:

Well it’s quite pretty, but it’s not fun. Something just feels off about the steering; I guess I was just expecting something a bit more ‘physicsy’.

7. Pliqu3011 says:

It’s pretty and free for sure, but not that much fun IMO.
    The controls feel weird and it’s frustrating that barely scraping past a building causes instant death, but all the dying wouldn’t be a problem if it weren’t for 2 basic, frustrating mistakes that games in which you die a lot (like super meat boy, super hexagon, etc.) should never make:
    – Not allowing near instant restarting using only the keyboard. Moving the mouse over to that relatively small button and clicking it every time you die gets annoying really fast.
    – The music starts over every time you start, which means you will hear the first few seconds a again and again and again. Why not just keep playing it, or have a few different starting positions in the song like Super Hexagon?

8. trashbat says:

Oh, Alice. Oh, RPS.

I practice every day to find some clever lines to say. To make the meaning come through. But then I think, I’ll wait, until the evening gets late, and I’m alone with you. The time is right, your ethics in games journalism fills my head, the stars get red and, oh, the night’s so blue.

And then you go and spoil it all, by saying something stupid like, “Crank: High Voltage … so much worse than the first”.

• Llewyn says:

Whoah, hang on, has Alice just been Frankrolled? (Frankfurted?)

Lovely comment, trashbat, though I think in Alice’s case you’ve missed out on something blue closer to home.

9. Llewyn says:

For some reason I am reminded of nothing so much as the Commodore 64 classic*, Action Biker.

*In the sense of it having been a very long time ago, obviously.

10. racccoon says:

Much rather play the original GTA

11. montfalcon says:

I mainly stopped by to wonder if this game is set in 1982 Berlin.
    From the author’s blurb “And remember: It’s not about Berlin in 1982.”
    To what does the Berlin ’82 refer then?

12. caff says:

Horrid controls, but a wonderful graphical aesthetic.

13. Bfox says:

Couldnt play, it looks like this for me; link to i.imgur.com
    Anyone know the shortcut for windowed mode or where this games keeps its settings so I can change the res?