Nine Observations About American Truck Simulator

American Truck Simulator [official site] has quietly been one of RPS’ most-anticipated games of 2016. Its predecessor, Euro Truck Simulator 2, has been an office favourite for a while – what, at a passing glance, might seem to be incomprehensible HGV nerdery is instead a therapeutic indulgence. The open road. The refreshing lack of urgency. The sky. Choosing only the jobs that take you where you wanna go. The tranquil click-click-click of the indicators. Freedom.

Transpose that to California and Nevada – small towns, big cities, bigger deserts and even bigger skies – and the promise is irresistible. The quintessential truck driver fantasy. Can it be true? I spent a few hours on the freeway to find out.

Bear in mind I’m not much of a sim-player, so please don’t expect much in the way of technical detail here. It’s all about the escapism for me: the mundanity of driving lifted into lifestyle choice, the message of Lynyrd Skynyrd with none of the actual risk to health and home. And it’s doing that well. Here are a few reasons why, as well as a couple of not-whys.

1) Never has the use of localised internet radio stations been so appropriate.

ATS doesn’t have its own soundtrack as such, but does pull live feeds from various online stations. Just by choosing random stations, I’ve been treated to Elvis, Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton, Johnny Tillotson’s Poetry In Motion, and dozens of country hits I’ve never heard of but which each seemed perfect for my slow, picturesque journey across the South-West. It’s glorious. There are rap stations and rock stations and blues stations and awful smooth 90s jazz stations too: I can have any America I want to, and I will.

N.b. Drunk driving a result of spending too much time trying to pose the camera and not enough keeping eyes on the road. Don’t be like me.

2) It’s not quite as pretty as I’d hoped

There’s some spit and polish, some shinier paint and warmer light for sure, and the rocky desert areas with their big skies look particularly dramatic, but, on a technological level, it does look like ETS2 with just a little more gloss and an Americana skin. There’s a fundamental starkness that it just hasn’t managed to shake off, and this is sadly particularly evident when you’re driving through green’n’pleasant lands: the trees are pretty lousy. The anti-aliasing still barely works too, which makes it look more geriatric than it is. I still dream the impossible dream of someone sticking a Fallout budget on this, I’m afraid. That said…

3) It feels more like Fallout than Fallout 4 does

Obviously there’s no shooting and looting, but when you’re in Nevada, that sense of travel of across an idealised, unpopulated America is far more potent than in Fallout 3 or 4. The empty-beautiful desert environments, the giant, cheesy roadside signs, the adorably unironic doughnut shops, the gradual shift from natural wasteland to hick towns to big cities, the space. The journey. Hey, there’s even a little roleplaying: taking on jobs, earning experience points to spend on bonuses like more efficient fuel consumption or being allowed to carry hazardous goods, and the eventual creation of a trucking empire. I’ll take that over doing odd-jobs for the Minutemen any day.

4) The cars are great

The American iconography approach extends to road traffic too. From bloated 60s cruisers to winnebagos, from UPS vans to black’n’white patrolcars, it’s the America you want and expect. I have no idea if it’s exaggerated, and I don’t care. It’s right, dammit.

5) You get Optimus Prime right away

In Truck Simulator tradition, you start off with no money and no truck of your own, just access to a rental truck with which to perform your first haulage job and start saving up for a big wheeler of your own. I’d gone in sadly presuming that it would be hours before I could get myself a big, cherry-red Optimus Prime truck to call my own, because that’s how games work, but right off the bat it offered me a crimson Peterbilt for my inaugural journey. So happy. Admittedly, classic 80s Optimus was a flat-fronted Kenworth K100 cab over truck, and the Peterbilt incarnation is more associated with the end of culture Michael Bay movies, but hey, close enough. And anyway Generation 2 Optimus did it decades before Bay did. YES I KNOW NO-ONE ELSE CARES ABOUT THIS.

6) Americana aside, it doesn’t feel appreciably different from ETS2

Keep expectations in check: this doesn’t feel like a full-blown sequel, but more a transplantation to a new locale. It’s a bit shinier and it’s gone to greater lengths to up the charisma, but there’s no escaping that it’s Euro Truck Simulator Does America. There are assorted additions and modifications both over and under the hood, and I suspect dedicated simheads are going to get more out of that than a filthy casual like me does. This is no bad thing in any case – I mean, I wanted ATS because I like ETS – but if the new scenery or the new vehicles don’t particularly move you then you might not take quite so much from it.

7) It has never been more disappointing that you can’t get out and walk around

Disappointing only in the sense that it has so successfully built a place that makes me want to do that. I see a roadside diner, I want to stop and swagger into it. I see a hill, I want to climb it. I see a lake, I want to swim in it. I see a canyon, I want to jump off the edge and see what happens. I guess, if I’m honest, I want Star Citizen with trucks, in Nevada. It’s an impossible ask of a game this scale, so I don’t ask it. I just dream of it. The reason I dream of it, though, is that, despite operating on a fraction of the budget, ATS has built far more world, and far more appealing world than any GTA or other sandbox action game ever could. Sure, it’s much shorter on detail, but it has that beautiful sense of land, big country and big skies, endless opportunities to turn left and see what you find.

8) The landmass at launch is big, but not huge

California and Nevada are included out of the box, with Arizona to be added for free further down the line, and it’s certainly enough to keep you going for a while. But, between the accelerated time (a two hour drive takes about ten minutes) and limitations on how much detail there can be, I have been down some of the same roads several times already. I’m fairly confident Arizona will make all the difference, and in any case I haven’t particularly gone off-piste yet: too busy doing jobs to save up for my very own Optimus, y’see.

9) Cruising feels so good

The size of the roads and the land either side of it is up from ETS2, and once you’re outside of towns there’s far more scope to sit back and take it easy, taking it all in. This is really the major difference: there’s an openness that ETS2 only manages occasionally. It’s filmic where ETS is utilitarian. While I suppose some folk will worry that longer, straighter roads means less to do, I’m just finding it makes the trucker fantasy come that much more to life. And anyway, worry not: you’ll get reliably dicked over by traffic lights and endless junctions in cities.

In conclusion, I’m going to buy a USB steering wheel ASAP.

American Truck Simulator 2 is due for release on 3 February. We’ll have more up about it soon.

1. moms says:

Oooo..
    umm.. I have a birthday mid February.
    Just sayin.

• rodiercz says:

Im gonna buy it.. because..
      1st. I love truck sim games :)
      2nd. There is no better game, even in the past
      3rd. Im from same country as SCS Software, creator of this game and I love to support small companies. Look today on Steam – most of small companies do some early access scam, get money and stop working on it. But this? Scs Software creating AA+ games, every game they make is better than game before, they are acting like big companies, no scam, they listen to people, have big forum for ideas.. etc

This game will be around 20USD so everyone should buy it. Even if you drive it once per month.

• JaminBob says:

I’m getting the day off work for this. Birthday is an even better excuse you lucky thing.

• Titus Groen says:

A birthday? Is it even yours? ;)

• Chaoslord AJ says:

So hyped, will be like all our birthdays. ;)

• KastaRules says:

Do you even birthday bro ???

• MegaSamGames says:

This game comes out two days before my birthday so it’s definitely gonna be my birthday present to myself.

• Viral Frog says:

My birthday is the last week of February*, and I’ve convinced the wife to let me get this game during launch week. Can’t wait for those delicious steampunk skins**. Nevada actually looks like it’d be fun to drive through from videos. Funny because it’s the worst slog ever IRL.

*I’m not considering the 28th and 29th to be their own week in February this year. Those are being considered the first week of March for all I care.

**In case you didn’t know: go to the Steam store page and “Follow” American Truck Sim. Purchase the game in launch week and you get two? free steampunk truck skins. ATS does not have to be purchased via Steam to be eligible for these skins.

INCSlayer says:

but can i drive this truck:
    link to s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com

• Amstrad says:

Past promotional material has shown the game has a Kenworth W900L in it.. so the short answer is yes. The long answer involves custom made paint jobs.

• technivore says:

Sadly there’ll be no way to drive from Atlanta to Texarkana and back in this game. Maybe they’ll release a Southeast expansion at some point.

You know what they say though: I guess a legend and an out-of-work bum look a lot a like, daddy.

• JaminBob says:

Hmm. I’m hoping for the Northwest first. Wow. Seattle Portland Salt lake city.

The only time I went to states was the SE and it didn’t strike me as inspirational landscape.

• dungeoncrawl says:

I live in NC and, other than 1) the mountains in the fall when the leaves change (absolutely spectacular) and 2) all the “green”, it’s really not that awe inspiring. Nothing like when I’ve been out west to California or Arizona.

• Wedge says:

As someone who lives there, I can say the NW US has some great landscapes for driving… but there’s not an awful lot of actual roads. Most truck traffic would just be going up and down the main highway between Washington and California (on a relate note, driving through the mountains in Northern California is terrifying in a small car).

• kuangmk11 says:

i5 is a snore, except the stretch you mentioned. i90, i84, hwy14 and 101 would be great

• Vagrant says:

I don’t think you can genuinely capture the spirit of trucking in the US without having Memphis. If you can’t haul a load down I-40, what’s the point?

3. sicanshu says:

Hmm. More fallout than fallout sounds like a pretty accurate depiction of Nevada. Did you see any sketchy bunny ranches composed entirely of trailers connected by corrugated sheet metal hallways?

4. RabbitIslandHermit says:

I kind of feel like this game is pretty limited in the pretty scenery department by being a Truck simulator. I dunno how closely/realistically they’ve decided to model American roads, but the interstate system that all the trucks (obviously) use whenever possible is an engineering marvel of monotony.

• rodiercz says:

Well in ETS2 you can always choose if you will drive on highway or you choose some serpentines.. there is nothing like “small road, prohibited for trucks”.

• rustybroomhandle says:

I’m sure this will offer a slightly idealised version of being on the interstate.

You are right though, the interstate system is pretty much just the same wherever you go, with the only variety being in which logos-on-poles appear at the next exit.

• jrodman says:

I don’t have the game.

I’d hope for Interstates + US Routes (eg. Route 50, Route 66) at least. The latter, when done some degree of faithfulness, should have appreciable character. I mean in the stated territory, California, Nevada & Arizona, the interstate set is a pretty spare skeleton outside of the SF & Los Angeles/Orange spoke/wheel/etc roads.

For example, I’d like the option of driving 101 for the length of California.

Things like Rt 1 up the coast though, I wouldn’t expect.

5. Morte66 says:

Games journalism must be a pretty hard life if simulated truck driving to bland country music constitutes an escape from it.

6. GameCat says:

Can’t wait for The Duel mod.

7. nindustrial says:

So this isn’t a knock on the game, but a question having not played any ETS; if the expanses are shortened such to make a 2-hour trip a 10-minute drive, what does that do to the realism/geography of the game? Do they cut actual towns out of existence and shorten certain stretches between bigger towns… or do they keep every town on a real-world map but somehow just make the stretches of road between shorter… or do they make you drive “faster” while still showing normal MPH on the speedometer? Just curious!

I have to say, this one may get me to try a TS game finally, as I have many fond memories of driving cross country (though not in a truck); been coast-to-coast (or nearly so on the East side) 4 times! Something magic about long-distance driving.

• GameCat says:

Well, you can’t except roads to be as long as in real life. Distances are just scaled down, so going from France to Germany in ETS2 it’s a 10-20 minutes long trip.

• nindustrial says:

Oh sure, I understand it would be impractical and probably not fun; I’m just curious about the actual solution. Is every town you could find on a map still represented? I guess that’s my ultimate question. No value judgment either way.

• rodiercz says:

There are only bigger cities, and they have only like 3-4 roads. Of course it contains 1-2 POI places.. mostly on background as deco.

• GameCat says:

Only selected major cities are presented and all of them look mostly the same. ATS seems to be an imporvment in this field.

• jrodman says:

In Euro Truck Simulator 2, the towns themselves were a bit of a disappointment. A city gets resented as something like a grid of four blocks, and it kind of reminds you what a limited simulation you’re in.

Still, there was some local character in those towns whether decoration or street layout enough to make them seem a bit distinct, if nothing belivable as anything like the real world.

The roads between places were really where the game shines. It’s not anything close to accurate. They don’t include everything along the wand certainly not all the towns that exist in real life. Only those where they’ve chosen to build up the pick-up drop-off stuff for the “missions” exist. But all that said they do a great job of capturing the “character” of certain roads in miniature. Signature overpasses etc are included; you get to notice that you’re climbing a ridge or a mountain range. Accurate portrayals of the types of turns and elevation changes or sometimes even slightly wonkily engineered road issues get presented well.

It might be nice to have some kind of simulator where you can “actually explore the world”, but it would be extremely niche. Giving you the experience of driving a few days in one sitting making 3 planned hauls feels much more satisfying to me.

• Pantalaimon says:

It’s a scaled down version of reality but they do a good job of achieving verisimilitude by playing up the aspects of each particular region – scenery, signage, road layout, etc. Thus a drive from London to Edinburgh or central Europe to Scandinavia feels like those same journeys, even within a much reduced timeline.

For what it’s worth, though, I’m someone who’d also love a version that blew out the map to full scale, even if that meant less detail in the cities, and procedural generation, or whatever.

• rodiercz says:

You can try ETS2 demo for free here link to eurotrucksimulator2.com

alison says:

When i fired up ETS2 and set my home base as Berlin then took a drive to Poznań, i immediately remembered some of the turnoffs i previously only noticed looking out the window of a Greyhound on the same route. So, as an irregular driver with a sample size of one, i concluded that while it doesn’t model the roads exactly, it does model some of the more memorable intersections. That struck a nice balance between feeling familiar enough to be pleasant while still giving you the chance to travel to many more places than you could in real life in the time.

Of course, i bounced off it after doing a few trips, mainly because i didn’t like the shoehorned-in business sim. I am sort of looking forward to ATS, because some of my fondest driving memories are exactly in California and Nevada. I drove for hours up and down those freeways, and seeing the desert stretch out for miles is beautiful and humbling and when i retire i want a green card and an RV so i can live out the rest of my days being an eccentric conspiracy nut slash meth cook slash Hawaiian-shirt-wearing gonzo journalist. But, ironically, what worries me about this is exactly what i did like about ETS2 – the miniaturization. It’s supposed to take 4 hours of driving through nothing to get from A to B in America. If it takes 10 minutes, will it feel as grand?

8. Fiatil says:

I recently drove to the Grand Canyon in Arizona from where I live in Oklahoma, and I am way too excited for this game. I hope the Arizona DLC isn’t too far off, and an expansion east into New Mexico (and hopefully parts of Colorado if they’re feeling generous) would be amazing.

Regardless, I’m excited to see how they capture the feel of the southwest, because it really is an alien feeling place to drive through for long distances. It’s gorgeous, but also mixed with the unique strangeness of being hundreds of miles from anything bigger than a rest station in either direction. I’ll be happy to skip all of the shady gas stations in between.

• keenan.wulff says:

Yeah, as a native Coloradan, I’d pick up the game the second I saw things like Wolf Creek Pass and I-70 through Glenwood Canyon represented in the game.

• Cederic says:

Ah, I did that I70 route around 16 months ago. The only reason it wasn’t unbelievably fantastic is that I’d done Bryce Canyon to Green River in Utah the day before. THAT is a road they need to add, and I really don’t care that I didn’t see a single articulated lorry on it.

• salattu says:

What a ride ain’t it? Make your next trip to the Sierras and ride the Tioga and Sonora passes.

• DojiStar says:

I’ve driven every mile of I-70 and have lived most of my life on one part of it or another. Do they have like interstate trail badges the way they do for mountain peaks?

When I worked in Baltimore, which I hated, every day there was a humorous mileage sign just outside of town announcing “Denver 1700, Cove Fort 2200.” I kept thinking “One day, I’ll just keep driving West.” And one day, I did.

• rexx.sabotage says:

You really can’t skip all those sketchy spots though, they are the glue that hold together those disparate fragments of that cherished ubiquitous Americana and allow it all to be shelved away under just one roof.

More people need to experience these fringe outliers, vestigial remnants of a time lost to the urban sprawl and subsequent suburban migration–Stare into those dead eyes, they are just as culturally important to America as the Grand Canyon.

• Fiatil says:

You’re absolutely correct! Still, that guy at the gas station in New Mexico could have been a little bit nicer.

• The Librarian With No Name says:

Hah, that’s eerie. I’m also currently living in Oklahoma, and drove to the Grand Canyon this year. I hope the DLC has your stupid off-brand GPS route you through six hours of Navajo reservation roads with a terrifying haboob in the middle.

I also don’t think I’ll be picking this game up. I grew up in New Mexico, and driving through a virtual representation of places that know what to do with a green chile without being able to stop for lunch would be the kind of ironic hell Greek mythology specializes in.

9. Thybountyhunter says:

I’ve logged over 350 hours in ETS2 and I can say regardless of how many time I drive down the same road it is still exciting.

I enjoy the online radio and found that there is a community radio station as well that anyone could DJ for an hour or so a day as they want. Will be interesting to see what comes in for this.

As well there is a MP MOD that makes playing with others exciting as well as frustrating (when someone slams into your load and causes damage, which takes money away from you). SCS does plan on doing MP for this game, this will be great to see, looking forward to it.

I knew before there was much about the game that it would be exactly like ETS2, and figured even the graphics would be the same. Well graphics are nice but the game play is what makes it (I still play and love Dragon Warrior 4, 8-bit RPG).

The change of scenery change and it being possible that my area might be included (West Coast, Canada) will make for a fresh game and getting in on the start will make it easy to attain 100% map discovered (at just over 60% on ETS2).

Overall I came in knowing the game will not be much different then ETS2 and it doesn’t bother me at all.

10. Shih Tzu says:

But what about the most important thing? Will it finally let me turn right on a red light after stopping? I did that constantly in ETS2 and no amount of fines or snippy European bureaucrats or appeals to learn and abide by the “local laws” is gonna stop me!

• JaminBob says:

Haha. Apart from those wonderful moments in the alps at sunset and so on… it doesn’t get better than getting a little drunk and racking up the fines.

11. JamesTheNumberless says:

Eep, if ever there was an argument against human driven cars it’s in these videos, would not want to have to overtake that truck.

12. Arbodnangle Scrulp says:

Have you tried playing it using the Oculus Rift?

13. harley9699 says:

The very last paragraph says, “American Truck Simulator 2 is due for release on 3 February.” Isn’t it just American Truck Simulator? When did the “2” get put in?

14. Random Username says:

What wheel do you recommend for this game?

• rustybroomhandle says:

I have a Logitech Driving Force GT, which is the little bro of the G27 and it works quite nicely with ETS2. I am not using the pedals for ETS2 though, instead opting to just have accell/brake bound to the shifter on the side with cruise mapped to the buttons. I prefer to play these games as casual as possible so it doesn’t clash with mah Zen. :)

• ikehaiku says:

If you only plan to use the wheel for this game, I’d say a cheap used one. Look for a Logitech DFGT, they work great, and can be find for around 60€ used. Note that you won’t have a clutch or a H-shifter, so you’ll use either automatic transmission or sequential (with paddles). But to be fair, there is A LOT of gears, so even if I’m using a G27, I’m not using the clutch and the H-shifter anyway :-)

The DFGT is also a great entry point if you plan to sim-drive: not a big investment, and you’ll be able to resell it when either you feel the need to upgrade, or you just find that using a wheel is not for you.

• Cinek says:

Any. ETS2 and ATS are simulators only from a name. In reality they simulate very, very, very little – not just from the truck itself, but even road physics. They could rename it to Euro Truck Arcade.
      Wheel doesn’t really matter.

• rustybroomhandle says:

You might be right that the focus of these games is not to be “realistic” (thank the gods!) but to say “wheel doesn’t matter” is not a great attitude. Having all the flourishes that a decent wheel provides adds a lot to the overall experience.

Besides – find me any wheel that can simulate an 18 or 21 speed manual transmission in a way that’s not just a little bit goofy.

• rodiercz says:

I bought Logitech Driving Force GT + conversion box + H-shifter spare parts panel from G27. It works nice. GT shifter used to change ranges and H shifter for shifting. Clutch as button on wheel.
      If you cant find any used G27 or GT, get new G29 + shifter.

Or if you plan to drive racing games, get Thrustmaster T300 + Thrustmaster Shifter (its 8grade) and you can buy some different wheel addons. F1, GT, Ferrari.. etc

15. Ebins says:

I can’t wait to play this! the location of this simulator goes right through where I grew up! Yes, I grew up in Bullhead City, AZ, across the Rover from Laughlin, NV and only 90 minutes from Vegas. My kids are in CA, and well, I just can’t wait! Unfortunately I’ll have to wait a couple weeks from release to purchase it… man oh man, I can’t wait! Take my money please!

• Ebins says:

And apparently I’m so excited that my first post is full of typos. Oh well! Wish there was an edit button! :(

16. Chris says:

May I infer from “Marrakesh Express” this is a game about dope smuggling?

17. LionsPhil says:

Convoy mod when?

18. stoner says:

I’m a beta tester for ETS2 and ATS. I happen to be an American, specifically, a native Californian. During my lifetime, I’ve actually driven the roads and interstates of California for tens of thousands of miles. I-5? PCH? 101? Been there. A lot.

The scenery of ATS looks very familiar to me, and I commended the development team for capturing the flavor and atmosphere of those highways. The sparseness of scenery on the actual roads lulls you to sleep, because the next five hundred miles looks like the last five hundred miles.

I cannot speak for SCS, but I will say: stay tuned, boys and girls, there are many great things coming.

19. Cinek says:

I’m really disappointed that there’s so few improvements over the ETS2. I guess I’ll skip it then. I really hoped for bringing more life to the game, more realism, and better graphics, meanwhile… if it doesn’t feel like a full-blown sequel I might just as well wait for ETS3 (though I’m quite surprised that they didn’t push the game further after the huge success of ETS2 – one would expect they do have funds for additional devs and artists to leap over the predecessor).

• kd_ie says:

Don’t expect too big changes, if you are familiar with the series, it evolves in baby steps.

20. SamPhoenix says:

In regards to the pretty-ness of the game, I’m sure there will be graphics mods and shader mods to change this.

21. trjp says:

What I’m looking forward to is loads of Americans playing this and saying “Hey – Murica is bigger than this, these cities are tiny and look wrong – how come you could do real-sized Europe but not the US huh?” :)

I am hoping for a few improvements over ETS2 (tho cars which can actually navigate roundabouts seems unlikely in the land of the traffic light) but from what I’ve seen this really is just ETS2 with a paintjob and I think that’s going to disappoint a lot of people.

Also only 2 confirmed trucks at launch which seems a BIT poor??

Still – Squirrel is streaming 24 hours of this over the w/e including a chat with the CEO about ATS and the future of ETS2 on Sunday – well worth a watch if you’re curious?

22. celticdr says:

America? Truck yeah!

Comin’ again to save the mothertruckin’ day, Yeah!

[repeat above]

23. Kleio says:

I’m crossing my fingers for a Pacific Northwest DLC.

24. Arglebargle says:

I don’t get it, but I’m glad you all are having fun.

That said, I have driven I10 from Florida to California, numerous times. The West Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California desert vistas are pretty amazing in their stark, arid beauty. Route 66 still has it too.

But nothing matches Louisiana’s Atchafalaya Swamp Highway in the fog. After enough road hypnosis, you too will be worried about the dangers of the lurking Alligator Men and their Cajun allies.

• The Librarian With No Name says:

Louisiana is the scariest place I’ve ever been, especially when you’re driving through the swamp around sunup. I have no idea why Lovecraft set most of his stories in New England when Louisiana was, like, RIGHT THERE.

• Arglebargle says:

Been through it in the fog, both day and night, and in a driving thunderstorm. I’d agree.

25. DarthTurducken says:

Registered with RPS just to comment on this. I played ETS 1 & 2 and have been looking forward to this. I assume all the US states will be added eventually? I hope so. I also hope someone creates mod that puts Stuckey’s and HoJo’s and Buc-ees in the game. And don’t forget suppose Love’s Truck Stops.

26. Jon Denton says:

“…anyway Generation 2 Optimus did it decades before Bay did. YES I KNOW NO-ONE ELSE CARES ABOUT THIS.”

I care Alec, I care…

27. Quyno says:

I like the review otherwise, but the bit about it being more like Fallout than Fallout 4 is pretty inaccurate. I’m not sure what you think Fallout is, but it’s not “that sense of travel of across an idealised, unpopulated America.” Fallout has it’s own lore and universe which was depicted brilliantly in Fallout 4. ATS is nothing like Fallout or its universe, even in the exploring aspect. Not to mention Fallout 3 and 4 are set in the East. So if it’s like anything, it’s like Fallout: New Vegas which actually is set in Nevada. But still, certainly not “more Fallout” than Fallout: New Vegas.

28. bill says:

I once drove across Nevada. Not in a truck, but in a rental car.
    It was amazing… for the first hour or so… after that it was mind numbing.

The road was almost dead straight. There was nothing to see and no need to steer. The car was in cruise control.
    Unfortunately, I hadn’t thought to bring any CDs and the local radio stations were ALL horrendous country music all the time.

The only excitement would be when your car might occasionally hit a huge crack in the road (US highways seem to be in horrendous condition!) which would send your car heading off sideways towards the desert and also rudely wake you up from your semi-sleep and cause you to steer and brake.
    For the few seconds it took to get you back on the straight and narrow and then reengage cruise control and nod off again.