Boo! Five Nights At Freddy’s World Jumps Out Early

Five Nights at Freddy’s World [official site] may be taking the animatronic cast of the smash-hit jumpscare ’em up into a retro-style JRPG, but creator Scott Cawthon still likes to throw a surprise a two out. For example, BOO! It’s out right now!

FNaF World was due on February 19th but it’s out a month early, right here right now right up in your face please could you step back I don’t want to ruin your beautiful smile but I will tear your teeth clean out and set them in rings.

How do you turn a game about a robomurderbear into an RPG? Like this:

“Take control of Freddy and the gang as they set out on a quest in the world beneath worlds, a world that reflects the actions and deeds of the “flipside”, where things have started becoming distorted and broken. Lead your team deeper into this digital world to find the source of these glitches and monsters, and restore it to what it was designed to be- a safe haven.

“But be careful, behind the curtain there may be something even more sinister pulling the strings…”

I wonder if FNaF World is Cawthon trying to step out of Freddy’s shadow while keeping the robobear’s fans. The horror series has made his name and fortune, but before Five Nights he made all sorts of games. They weren’t nearly as popular. Heck, he’s said that people mocking one of his characters as looking like a scary animatronic animal made him lean into that and make Five Nights. It’d surely be nice to have even a fraction of Five Nights fans become Scott Cawthon fans.

What’s FNaF World like? Gosh, no idea. 80% or so of player reviews on Steam are positive, but the reviews rated ‘most helpful’ are all negative. Fans, eh?

1. Phenomen says:

looks like low effort cash grab. just like every fnaf game.

2. BananaGX says:

This franchise is no fun,the concept is quite stupid,the originals are only played by tiny kids,I don’t like the graphics,and this spin-off is a cash grab.
    Boo.

3. Kollega says:

I really want to see Scott just do something new already. I never liked FNAF, and not just because I don’t like horror. The original concept was original, but after four installments it kind of wore thin. Especially given how – let’s not varnish the truth here – disproportionaly popular it is. I honestly don’t think it’d take off as well if it weren’t for screaming YouTubers and furry fanartists. We can’t fault Scott for taking advantage of his sudden popularity to secure his financial future – I mean, who wouldn’t? – but I hope he quits it with FNAF and does something else. Because – again, let’s be honest – FNAF World does look like fan-pandering at this point.

Bottom line, I sure as hell hope that Scott isn’t a one-trick developer, and that he has stuff other than the proverbial Suck E. Cheese’s to surprise us with. Because if he just keeps putting out FNAF-related things, it’d be… kinda sad, to be honest.

4. Dominic Tarason says:

So… Once again I seem to be the only one that remembers that Scott Cawthon used to exclusively make weird little genre-mashup RPGs like this until he hit it big with FNAF. Why is that? Surely you all have the internet.

In fact, his most recent RPG, The Desolate Hope, is free on Steam now. It’s very Asimov in terms of story, and violently confusing and weird in terms of mechanics. Give it a look.

Am I the only one that’s glad that he’s come back to his roots here? Because I was never that big on the FNAF series.

5. Sparkasaurusmex says:

My 12 year old daughter loves FNAF, but she’ll never be a Cawthon fan because she doesn’t even enjoy the game. The fan base is really into the world built up around FNAF, but not built by the game or developer, it’s a world of fan fiction. I don’t fully understand the draw, but these kids (at least my daughter and her friends) love this stuff. The game is hardly worthy of such a following, but rich fan fiction is why FNAF has such a following. To be honest I find the fan fic stuff to be poorly written and not very creative, but somehow it works.

• Kitsunin says:

I feel that the story behind FNaF is pretty decent, but it’s one of those cases where I really can’t fathom the fanbase.

I totally understand the Friendship is Magic fandom for instance, they’ve got a whole world filled with characters, with absolutely tons of space to interpret, prod at, and recontextualize the canon.

But what is there to do with FNaF? It seems like most of the fan stuff is just creatively bankrupt repeats of the same core story. There just isn’t a strong base there to be built upon, the games make for a single cohesive, self-contained story.

6. KevinLew says:

I’m shocked that Cawthon hasn’t just opened up a Freddy Fazbear’s Pizza restaurant. I’m being very serious.

• Jalan says:

With the money he’s raked in from the games, I wouldn’t be too surprised to learn that he’s managed to secure enough to get a small business loan to do exactly that.

• Butts says:

You guys ever try running a restaurant? It’s miserable. I wouldn’t wish that on any game developer, no matter how much you hate their fans and output.

7. GernauMorat says:

Shitty sequel to shitty series is shit shock

8. Butts says:

It’s weird. Right at the top of the Steam store page for the game is an update from the developer apologizing for releasing the game too early and in an unfinished state. But he pushed it out early by a month? Don’t get it.

Anyway, never played/cared about any of the other games in the series but I’m tempted to pick it up just because of the late SNES/early PS1-era graphics.

In fact, I’d like to see other games take up this kind of style as well, but I guess that’s just me getting old and nostalgic about games I played as a kid. Then again, I loved 2D pixel art until people started making games like Catacomb Kids and Eitr where they’re so excessively lo-fi that it makes it hard to even tell what’s happening on the screen. Maybe I should be happy that just the one exists…

Waltorious says:

As mentioned above, check out out Scott Cawthon’s earlier games. Similar graphical style. I’ve only played The Desolate Room and Iffermoon, and found them both flawed but interesting. I’m interested to play The Desolate Hope to see what a continuation of The Desolate Room will be like.

9. BB Shockwave says:

Glad to see the developer realized what his fanbase wants isn’t more jump scares that were, to be honest, never scary to begin with. The characters look so much better this way. :)